Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

BrigadierSensible posted:

Although this is probably not the thread for it, that story also reminds me of the story about how Vince Russo once went to Vince McMahon and said that he would like some time off, or perhaps a slightly lighter schedule so he could spend some time at home with his wife and young child. Vinnie Mac replied that he was paying him enough now that he could afford a nanny.
That was when Smackdown was about to debut, shortly before Russo left for WCW. Russo wasn't happy when he found out he wasn't getting a pay raise to, you know, write another two hours of TV every week and also spend more time away from his family, so he went to McMahon and received that response.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones

Davros1 posted:

Well, hope AEW (or anyone) doesn't book him again
https://twitter.com/TrevorDame/status/1444092528559489029?s=20

First I heard of this dude was on Ethan Page's vlog. Hope he stops hanging out with him too.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/callmekrisstat/status/1444136104303673344

Alien towel-reshaping skills.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

what did curt stallion say that he had to change his name to stallion rodgers. if it wasn't too bad maybe he can go back

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

WWE knew they had a sex creep on their hands and didn’t care until it was time to balance the sheets.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

coconono posted:

WWE knew they had a sex creep on their hands and didn’t care until it was time to balance the sheets.
Oh, did they finally fire Riddle?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

frankenfreak posted:

Oh, did they finally fire Vince?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

IDGI

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWfwQxvPvWA

bartok
May 10, 2006

frankenfreak posted:

Oh, did they finally fire Riddle?

and Austin Theory?

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

bartok posted:

and Austin Theory?

And Josh Briggs?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/LanceStorm/status/1444390193797025792

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Lance rules

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
MJF (the character) has been on a backslide since the Jericho feud where he does cheap heat promos but begins it with saying "IT'S NOT CHEAP HEAT" so it's automatically okay cause he called it out first. Getting absolutely owned by the guy synonymous with being uncharismatic is a great next chapter in this arc. Next he's gonna lose a mic battle to Dean Malenko.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Blaise330 posted:

MJF (the character) has been on a backslide since the Jericho feud where he does cheap heat promos but begins it with saying "IT'S NOT CHEAP HEAT" so it's automatically okay cause he called it out first. Getting absolutely owned by the guy synonymous with being uncharismatic is a great next chapter in this arc. Next he's gonna lose a mic battle to Dean Malenko.

i liked the way Darby blanked him on trying to rile him over his Uncle's death as well, eating L's like this, especially where he's normally strong, is a great way to springboard to the next part of his development

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Blaise330 posted:

are you saying this like it's a bad thing bc this is how it's supposed to work

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

are you saying this like it's a bad thing bc this is how it's supposed to work

I think he's saying it as positive character progression. The character of MJF is starting to fall apart.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I dunno. MJF's always been the heel who kind of slinks away and then comes back and knee caps someone from behind.

I feel like the Pillman mini feud was specifically to cleanse the palette of the Jericho loss. If you're gonna have him spiral why do that? It feels to me like MJF's just kind of picked up some very broad cheap heat habits from all that time working with Jericho. But it all probably comes down to who wins between him and Darby and that seems 50/50.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

STAC Goat posted:

I dunno. MJF's always been the heel who kind of slinks away and then comes back and knee caps someone from behind.

I feel like the Pillman mini feud was specifically to cleanse the palette of the Jericho loss. If you're gonna have him spiral why do that? It feels to me like MJF's just kind of picked up some very broad cheap heat habits from all that time working with Jericho. But it all probably comes down to who wins between him and Darby and that seems 50/50.

I think of it as more the Brian Pillman feud was a palette cleanser but also established that Max, now that he's not riding coattails, uses cheap heat to get his opponents riled up and make mistakes.

On a more meta level, MJF is great on the mic and as a character, but lacking in the ring, so Darby's no selling is meant to be incentive for Max to get better in the ring if he hopes to beat Darby because he can't piss Darby off the way he got Pillman.

Now if post Darby MJF is still doing the cheap heat stuff I think there's an issue because yeah cheap heat runs out of gas quick, but for now I like the direction they're going.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I'm just waiting for that monster pop when Wardlow finally turns on him

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I think the MJF storyline is just how he uses his words to upset his opponents so that he can take advantage of their anger. He has been doing things like that since the beginning and everyone has responded…except Darby, who did not buy into the rage bait.

Now, the problem is that MJF has lost almost every feud he has been in using this tactic, but he is absolute flabbergasted expression and running away was something new. I liked that and it makes me wonder what does MJF do now.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/DarbyAllin/status/1444454467894534145

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I know its not physically possible unless you're doing it really unsafely, but I always worry about smacking the bridge span on the upswing.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
MJF's always done cheap heat. Remember that time he told an arena of gamers they were virgins

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Yeah, cheap heat has always been MJF's thing, but he gets more of a reaction than most other people who do it.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Cheap heat is what makes MJF work. He’s a spoiled rich kid who lives a life of no consequences. He’s spent his life building up his little jabs so you can never see how scared and insecure he is. It’s why he goes low. He’s a heel in the truest sense of the word.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

The_Rob posted:

Cheap heat is what makes MJF work. He’s a spoiled rich kid who lives a life of no consequences. He’s spent his life building up his little jabs so you can never see how scared and insecure he is. It’s why he goes low. He’s a heel in the truest sense of the word.

If the things he had to say were actually erudite and clever, the crowd would be less inclined to boo him. His job is to rile people up and annoy them, not necessarily to be a narratively sophisticated villain. I'm convinced he does it on purpose to keep up his reservoir of ill will from the fans. (See also the Young Bucks, who deliberately play up the aspects of their in-ring style that annoy people when they're heels rather than doing traditional "heat segments").

Of course, "MUH HEAT uber alles" isn't the be-all end-all. Booking has to actually give him direction. But after the Pillman palette cleanser, Darby looks like the start of something meatier.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
MJF is also so charismatic that the lame stuff he says doesn't feel awkward at all (well most of time).

Same as Danielson spewing playground insults to Kenny.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

i like when MJF says the funny stuff

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
AEW features professional wrestling matches that involves different wrestlers in feuds and storylines. Wrestlers portray heroes, villains, or less distinguishable characters in events that build tension and culminate in a wrestling match or series of matches.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/bennyowens/status/1444609739233677314?s=20

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
someone needs to tell him to lighten up

https://twitter.com/AJFrancis410/status/1444523706940801024

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
https://twitter.com/TheCJPerry/status/1444414113703243777

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Also video: https://www.instagram.com/p/CUi1fZ-AP67/

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i'm so here for the extra sparkly TNT belt for the Spanish God

MediaPlayerClassic
Aug 24, 2012

considering being on a vince and bruce-ran show ended with him pushed to the background for b-fab, someone should tell him it's not that big of a promotion

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I have no idea who that guy even is but apparently he's winning so I should keep hating

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I wonder if Sammy will ever look of age

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

Orange Carlisle posted:

I have no idea who that guy even is but apparently he's winning so I should keep hating
Think he was the dude bragging about getting called up, fans told him he was going to fail like every other NXT callup and his response was "yeah but they couldn't cut promos"

That's totally why everyone from NXT failed. They just couldn't cut promos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010

Eat My Fuc posted:

I wonder if Sammy will ever look of age

Sammy's probably gonna be like one of those dudes like Dick Clark where he doesn't look old until suddenly he looks like an apple carving.