Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
Anxiously waiting for the railing that either extends to push you off the stairs or randomly retracts to become flush with the wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

The shin shredder.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

kid sinister posted:

Stolen from Reddit. This is a "subpanel" for a range...

Crappy construction: NO NO NO NO

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Detheros posted:

Obligatory "I have big feet and would love tripping and killing myself on those stairs" post.

And you know what they say about people with big feet… They gotta be really careful when using eccentric stairs.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Zil posted:

The shin shredder.

We prefer the word “grater.”

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Honestly a lot better than most fancy stairs.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

An illuminated handrail even.

Perspective is weird on that photo. Imma give those a pass, assuming they have ok geometry and aren't coated in teflon.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

wesleywillis posted:

Having trouble deciding if those are made of wood or rectangular box steel cut on angles. Probably not though , as steel steps like that would probably weigh 400 pounds each.

I hope it's a render. But assuming it's real I think they're all welded to a steel plate stringer that's concealed in the wall and painted over.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

MRC48B posted:

An illuminated handrail even.

Perspective is weird on that photo. Imma give those a pass, assuming they have ok geometry and aren't coated in teflon.
They should still absolutely have something to prevent just falling off the open side, but like I said, we've seen even worse in this thread.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I can't imagine the construction of those steps that just won't fold down flat when a fat person steps on the unsupported end.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

cakesmith handyman posted:

I can't imagine the construction of those steps that just won't fold down flat when a fat person steps on the unsupported end.

The apartment next door has a mirrored arrangement and hopefully the neighbours happen to be using theirs at the same time.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

~Coxy posted:

The apartment next door has a mirrored arrangement and hopefully the neighbours happen to be using theirs at the same time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr3eIAIFyo8&t=40s

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

cakesmith handyman posted:

The moment at the wall junction is causing my brain more stress than the stairs probably experience.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I had a question in school that involved cantilevered stairs. The criterion for strength that I suggested was based on a strongman making a world-record lift walking up the stairs with his weight on the unsupported end. I thought that this was fair.

The book disagreed with me and gave a way lower load to use in calculations. I forget what it was exactly, but it was something that a morbidly obese person could hit on their own, not even accounting for the piano they could reasonably be expected to help move up the stairs.

I don’t think that the book’s authors are out there designing stairs or writing building codes, but let’s not give the people who will go on to do those things the wrong ideas.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

wesleywillis posted:

Having trouble deciding if those are made of wood or rectangular box steel cut on angles. Probably not though , as steel steps like that would probably weigh 400 pounds each.

Given the thinness of the material, if they are wooden then they're going to flex horribly under load and have a dangerously low max load. I'm not saying that precludes them from being made of wood, since the builders have clearly made plenty of other unwise decisions

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Given the thinness of the material, if they are wooden then they're going to flex horribly under load and have a dangerously low max load. I'm not saying that precludes them from being made of wood, since the builders have clearly made plenty of other unwise decisions

From my perspective they look like about 3/4" inch thick, I guess yeah, if that was wood, it would be very thin for stair duty.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Platystemon posted:

I had a question in school that involved cantilevered stairs. The criterion for strength that I suggested was based on a strongman making a world-record lift walking up the stairs with his weight on the unsupported end. I thought that this was fair.

The book disagreed with me and gave a way lower load to use in calculations. I forget what it was exactly, but it was something that a morbidly obese person could hit on their own, not even accounting for the piano they could reasonably be expected to help move up the stairs.

I don’t think that the book’s authors are out there designing stairs or writing building codes, but let’s not give the people who will go on to do those things the wrong ideas.
I think that basically sums up the difference between the architecture and engineering sides of things. These are primarily Architect Stairs.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

“Architect Stairs, yeah, that’s what I wanted to show you,” I say directly before shoving le corubusier into an empty elevator shaft

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Motronic posted:

I had a "I've been IBEW 98 for 20 years I KNOW WHAT IM DOING" electrician try to tell me using various pieces of wood he'd salvaged out of the previous flooded basement of the restaurant I was inspecting to sign off to get it re-energized by the power company was "the right way to keep the bugs off the metal" when you use the old flooded out breaker box as a service entrance junction to the new panel.

I informed him that he wasn't doing work in Philadelphia and he wasn't getting a sticker for that kind of work here.

I'm all for reusing what you can, but there's a caveat: it has to be in good condition. It's also one of those rules that may technically be true in the book, but it depends on the inspector you get. Hell, it's confusing for the homeowners too. "What the hell do these 4 breakers go to??? They don't do anything when I flip them!"

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
I’d like them to be steel stairs suspended by magnets in the floor. Heck, it d be nice to have equalizer like controller for them. Also probably an emergency pole escape for power failures.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

kid sinister posted:

"What the hell do these 4 breakers go to??? They don't do anything when I flip them!"

:ohdear:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Finally a few pictures from my friend's house. He bought it from the owner/builder, mistakes were made, some inspector still gave it an occupancy permit.

I really don't know what to say about this solar setup. Six panels, 120w each, 10 Everstart (walmart or autozone) 120-140 amp batteries (about half 120/half 140). Generic power monitor, harbor freight power inverter, 15 amp drop cord powering the entire 150 amp panel in the house, which is missing a 20 amp breaker, no cover over the slot. Panels are fixed to the roof of the solar shed, no easy way to manipulate angle. We set up the generator today to test run backup charging.

Solar shed not remotely square on it's railroad tie and concrete pad foundation.

This is the plumbing vent stack, inside that "pillar." And that tub is maybe 42" front to back, overall length, not internal. Actually pretty good for shower only.

There are more problems. Unfinished paint projects. Previously mentioned unanchored cabinetry and counters. No vapor barrier in the crawlspace. The previous owner/builder put the unpermitted well under the house, dug too shallow for good water. A new, permitted well has been drilled, but hasn't had the pump set and judging by the power situation, won't run until the solar is properly upgraded with another dozen panels.

Not trying to shame my friend, none of this is his handiwork, but the price was right and even discounted once the illegal well was revealed. It was built last year. Probably claimed she was paying for water delivery (common here). Either way, for what he paid, he couldn't build it, but it's essentially a neverending list of projects. I'm not going to take a ton of pictures, the bathroom one is probably already pushing his personal boundaries so maybe don't go adding that one to twitter, thanks.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
the height of the toilet paper roll hanger is what’s really bothering me the most for some reason

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
They really put a lot of effort into nicely insulating that solar shed as well :rolleyes:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
There are so many questionable choices in how she (the PO) built the house. She had started changing paint schemes, got halfway through a fair deal of her projects and was like, "done." So there's trim that's brown that trickles out into a pink, siding that's 2/3 yellow in some places and brown for the rest.

You'd think insulation would be more... thoughtfully installed at 7500ft of elevation. Clearly not the priority of the PO. poo poo's gonna be cold come winter.

Structurally, the house is fine, and insulated to code (R21 walls, 49 roof). Like she had a brother or a cousin that had experience in framing, but that solar shed is slapdash as gently caress.

That vent stack pillar may look kinda okay, but it's an elbow killer. Every time I bomb Porcelainia there, I nail my funny bone.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Oct 4, 2021

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Imo you could incorporate it into a shelving partition, and replace that tub thing with a fiberglass shower to gain some space if the tub is a joke anyway (if you don't need it to clean children or pets)

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
A better charge controller and fixing the wiring to the breaker could probably go a long way to fixing that solar setup. Those batteries can only be discharged to about 50% without damaging their life, so if they've been fully discharged repeatedly they might be toast even if they're new. The poster who said to test them is right.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, he's mentioned just making it a little stub wall that closes off the space behind the pillar. The space in the bathroom is actually fine (whole house is just under 600 sq ft), the tub is more novelty than nuisance. No adult is taking a bath in it though.

/\ Batteries are going to be tested but they've definitely been discharged too deeply more than a few times. Once he has the local solar people come take a look, we'll have a better idea of what kind of controller he'll need, how many proper batteries (not walmart specials), additional panels.

He's not averse to spending money to fix problems, just likes getting a good deal. Which is why the well driller's rig is still on the property after taking 3 days to drill 50 feet.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Oct 4, 2021

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
If they want to do it right, go lithium, preferable LiFePo4. A better technology in nearly every way, and if they're planning to be there for ten years it'll be a way better deal in the long haul.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
That would be more sensible, and he'll likely be there north of a decade. I'm generally of the opinion that 5 200A lithium batteries would probably be plenty, as long as he adds the panels to meet his demands. And fix that panel wiring mess.

He wanted off grid, rural, mountain views. A project. Definitely got that wish. He's on the valley floor, which is why water is 30 feet down, but cleaner at 50. Nice view of 14ers.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kid sinister posted:

I'm all for reusing what you can, but there's a caveat: it has to be in good condition. It's also one of those rules that may technically be true in the book, but it depends on the inspector you get. Hell, it's confusing for the homeowners too. "What the hell do these 4 breakers go to??? They don't do anything when I flip them!"

I had more of an issue with the pieces of scrap wood he jammed in the box than the box itself.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Every time I bomb Porcelainia there
:golfclap:

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Punchline:

dunno if the wire nuts are visible, but there are wire nuts on that mess too

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Javid posted:

Punchline:

dunno if the wire nuts are visible, but there are wire nuts on that mess too

I can tell you've never left the first world. The poo poo that flies in in countries where they just don't care... My favorite was the water bottle splices.

Also:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I first thought that tub was wooden.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/JD7L2zv.mp4

I'd still drive it.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Does it come with ARRR bags?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

:getout:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Is Big R the national hardware chain of choice for pirates?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

wesleywillis posted:

Yes, but the splinters are just as likely to kill you.