Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Age of Decandence is a great idea that someone decided needed excel spreadsheet style combat mechanics and punishing consequences at every turn.

I followed a guide and for some encounters the advice was "reload until you get to go first"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Played the Tunic demo and sure enough, it kinda feels like Death's Door came out of nowhere and ate its lunch. It just feels so much more responsive, and of course has mouse controls instead of just keyboard. Plus I prefer its map design, the way a million shortcuts all end up looping back to a single point every area. I'm being a little unfair, of course, because Tunic definitely has more actual Dark Souls trappings than 'Door, which I'm sure some people like, plus I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be a longer experience.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Rebel Blob posted:

Well, a couple of rungs down in popularity:

Solasta: Crown of the Magister just came out and is getting good buzz.

I really like this game. Played it for free on Game pass, then made another group and beat it again. Very faithful adaption of 5e mechanics, for better and for worse. Carry out a plan flawlessly! Completely get slaughtered because nobody in your party can roll higher than a 5 on a D20.

The voice acting is my favorite part of this game. Skilled writing? Funny? Memorable or quirky characters? NOPE. Every line is delivered straight by non voice actors. It's so amateur and non-pretentious it's actually charming.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Age of Decadence is fun but it very strongly enforces character concepts. At the start of the game if you play as a thief you get ambushed by 3 soldiers, if you try to fight them head on instead of running away you will get absolutely loving murdered. If you play a fully combat specced dude, you can gently caress up 10 scrub bandits at once no problem though.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Hwurmp posted:

This list probably seems like a stretch but these should all at least be similar to LiS in terms of emotional weight, if not gameplay or presentation:

[...]

The Talos Principle

Seconding The Talos Principle. Come for the puzzles, stay for the crushing existential dread. I wonder if Croteam made that game just to prove that they can do more than just Serious Sam, they just choose not to.

The Talos Principle is condensed :smith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I have found the best way to play deathloop. I'm not sure why I spent so long filling my upgrade slots with poo poo like "have more defense! :)" and "have more power! :)" when you can make sprinting into people send them flying and heavily damage/likely kill them and also make melee attacks restore health (sprinting into people is a melee attack)

crashing aleksis' party by smashing everyone to death with my face is by far the fastest and easiest way I've done it. deathloop is good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uf34-pZ2agw

I missed if you killed Julianna during all that chaos or not, but I'd like to think she showed up, saw what was happening and decided,"You know what... gently caress it, Imma let him have this one today." :allears:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Oct 3, 2021

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
ANNO: Mutationem visuals are incredible but man is the combat lackluster from the demo.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1368030/ANNO_Mutationem/

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Propaganda Hour posted:

Two more demos.

Strange Horticulture which I'm just going to recommend now. Store Page. "Strange Horticulture is an occult puzzle game in which you play as the proprietor of a local plant store. Find and identify new plants, pet your cat, speak to a coven, or join a cult. Use your collection of powerful plants to influence the story and unravel Undermere’s dark mysteries." The gameplay loop consists of customers arriving to purchase various plants based on their need ("I hear voices," "my stomach hurts," etc) or by look and feel ("It's a blue flower with waxy, long leaves"). You are given a large inventory of unidentified plants and a book that obliquely explains the various flora of Undermere. You give them the correct flower, learn a little bit more about the townfolk and your inventory, and/or possibly be given a new plant for your shelves. Mail carriers will arrive and deliver letters that tie in to the greater story, or inform of you a plant that you can go harvest on the grid map. Your stock expands, the story regarding the town & townfolk progresses, a day ends and a new day begins. Absolutely wonderful game. I was expecting this to be almost like Cook, Serve, Delicious... but it's just a puzzle game based entirely on reading comprehension. No timers, the failure state is reasonable, the music is chill, the dialogue is compelling so far. I love this game so far. This is going to be a day-one purchase for me.

Totally seconding this, it certainly jumped straight to the top 10 for my anticipated games.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

punk rebel ecks posted:

ANNO: Mutationem visuals are incredible but man is the combat lackluster from the demo.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1368030/ANNO_Mutationem/

Gonna say I feel a bit disappointed that this wasn't a city builder

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

gently caress you Scourge of Armagon, you terrible pustule. gently caress your rear end in a top hat level design, gently caress your floating mines, gently caress your dumb worthless blood apes or whatever they were, gently caress your lovely boss fight, gently caress your absolutely pointless proximity mine launcher, gently caress every single time you made me fight a vore with a basic shotgun. gently caress you.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Ghostlight posted:

gently caress you Scourge of Armagon, you terrible pustule. gently caress your rear end in a top hat level design, gently caress your floating mines, gently caress your dumb worthless blood apes or whatever they were, gently caress your lovely boss fight, gently caress your absolutely pointless proximity mine launcher, gently caress every single time you made me fight a vore with a basic shotgun. gently caress you.

I had to laugh at the end where it just throws teleporting Vores at you. They knew what they were doing, and they liked it

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
RE: Unsighted. Sorry, it's not actually a block button - it's still parry. But yesterday (or the day before?) they patched the game to make it combat a little easier overall, including the length of the parry window. I think they said enemy attacks are less likely to go thru if you're a little late on the parry.

They also added 6 or so more meteor dust to the game and slowed the timer a tad :)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
so F.I.S.T. appears to be an indie metroidvania populated by silky-voiced furries. has anyone given it a spin yet

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I have found the best way to play deathloop. I'm not sure why I spent so long filling my upgrade slots with poo poo like "have more defense! :)" and "have more power! :)" when you can make sprinting into people send them flying and heavily damage/likely kill them and also make melee attacks restore health (sprinting into people is a melee attack)

crashing aleksis' party by smashing everyone to death with my face is by far the fastest and easiest way I've done it. deathloop is good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uf34-pZ2agw
I copied your idea and added an upgrade to get ammo from melee attacks and to have an insane run speed and it's amazing, thanks. The way you're using Nexus is also an extremely good synergy with that build. I'm wondering if I should exchange one slot to use the power that lets you do splash dmage when landing after big jumps and the one that lets you kick harder for the ultimate superhero experience.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Propaganda Hour posted:

Two more demos.

Strange Horticulture

not only is this game super amazing, but i'm really glad we're getting past "everything must have an Early Access period!" and just doing "here's a demo and the game will be out later" again

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Oxxidation posted:

so F.I.S.T. appears to be an indie metroidvania populated by silky-voiced furries. has anyone given it a spin yet

Played it on PS5, and it's pretty good. Reminds me of a mix of Shadow Complex and a beat-em up. A bit harder than the average metroidvania, though.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Man that Inscryption demo really sold me on the game. Glad it's coming out so soon, too!

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

A few days after but I have finally fad time to play the music recommendations so posting impressions:

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

This is not a genre I'm well versed in, so apologies if this isn't what you're looking for... But Sequence Storm is one you might check out. It's F2P on Steam and it's made by a cool goon who posts very actively on the forums, Baby Puzzle. The game is being continually supported and developed with a lot of accessibility features, which I think is very cool. https://store.steampowered.com/app/630640/SEQUENCE_STORM/

Not quite what I wanted but this is a great take on the genre! It looks like Audiosurf at a glance but it really is like a normal vertical scrolling rhythm game, where the ship has to hit certain buttons at the right beat do the correct moves at the right timing. I personally find it a bit difficult to figure out what I'm supposed to do sometimes, but I think it's simply because I haven't put in enough time. I really appreciate this suggestion though! It's close enough and different enough at the same time and I'm looking forward to grasping what it wants out of me.

secretly best girl posted:

You may like MUSYNX. It does 4/6 key, but it's got a good spread of charts and is pretty moddable for a lot of playstyles.

Musynx is exactly what I wanted It's really cheap in my regional pricing (RM3 which is like...less than one US dollar). I also appreciate the DLC model; the Friends Forever pack gives you access to all current DLC songs and all future DLC songs. All the other DLC packs are cosmetic stuff, to make the game a bit more pretty, or to just support the devs. All in all, I spent about RM30 which is maybe...7 to 8 US dollars for the whole playable game and have put in a few hours already.

I'm not too skilled in the genre so I can't really tell you the differences in terms of how the scoring system or the input system plays a role, but it does have customisability to fine-tune each gameplay session if you want.

Thanks for the suggestion, totally nailed what I wanted!

Artelier fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Oct 3, 2021

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So I decided to give Doom 2 a try after...god since I was in like the 6th grade? I have the GOG version that runs off DOS Box and im trying with just a keyboard and...

look, is there a way to get this to control with a WASD and a mouse or should I just plug in doom 2016 or Doom Eternal?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

BigRed0427 posted:

So I decided to give Doom 2 a try after...god since I was in like the 6th grade? I have the GOG version that runs off DOS Box and im trying with just a keyboard and...

look, is there a way to get this to control with a WASD and a mouse or should I just plug in doom 2016 or Doom Eternal?
There's a lot of ways. I think GZDoom is good?

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

BigRed0427 posted:

unless you have a massive desire for nostalgia i would play Doom 2016 ASAP

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

you will turn with the arrow keys and you will like it :gitgud:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
WASD for movement and numpad for looking around. :colbert:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Use a souce port such as Zandronum or ZDoom, dude. The original Doom is still a lot of fun, BUT not so much with the original controls and resolution.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Infinity Gaia posted:

Man that Inscryption demo really sold me on the game. Glad it's coming out so soon, too!

The beta was recently updated to include the final portion of the game, and having now seen it all (which is maybe a little presumptuous based on how much secret stuff has been hidden in his other games, up to and including a secret ending hidden in a completely different, nondescript Steam game released under a different author's name in the case of The Hex) I can say it's a great ride all the way through. Don't go in expecting the next Slay The Spire, it's still very narrative focused, but it's clearly created by someone with a great love of card games and knowledge of what makes them tick.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Spectacular Sparky has the Treasure look but it doesn't have the Treasure charm or the Treasure quality boss design. Enemies feel like they come from separate games at times, the camera is framed a bit too closely, the Kirby-esque float mechanic is not very satisfying... but the biggest problem for me is that the bosses only had one attack pattern. C'mon now!

Prose & Codes is basically a cryptogram game based on classic literature. Similar to Apple Arcade's Dear Reader but purely for ciphering. This one doesn't throw a ton of bells and whistles at you, it just lets you get straight to the decoding.

Treasures of the Aegean (by the developers of SuperEpic and Mail Mole) shows promise... a treasure hunter touches down on a resurfaced ancient Minoan island & volcano, and runs around parkouring and collecting treasures.. and then the Earth blows up, and time resets. So you've got the trendy time loop structure, combined with side-scrolling Mirrors Edge platforming, combined with exploring a massive island for ancient treasure Tomb Raider style. It looks like, much like Outer Wilds, information is the key thing retained between loops, as anything you learn gets added to a 'prophecy' tab in your menu. A funny glitch happened though where instead of the second loop happening, the game got caught in a cutscene loop instead, replaying the Earth blowing up over and over. Must've got a Bad End!!

Lone Fungus: I don't love it but I don't hate it. It's a teensy bit dull due to the character being a little sluggish and not very powerful (I do not have the dash ability shown in the gif). This absolutely is taking from Hollow Knight, and you see the descriptor thrown around a lot when something is visually similar, but this one is MECHANICALLY similar, with a map that only updates at save points, a pin system for the map, parrying and limited healing, how you get healing charges, etc. I think it may need to do a little more with theming areas to keep it from getting stale.

Aeterna: Noctus is another Metroidvania I'm not sold on. I want to give it props for having hand-drawn animation for most enemies and the main character (as opposed to cut-out tweening), but the combat is unfortunately very stiff, and there's a lot of very flat level design... the screenshots show better theming and level design so I dunno why the opening area is so flat. Probably trying to mimic Hollow Knight, as this game ALSO has pins to buy for the map (and I bought a region map from the merchant and it didn't seem to do anything? Not sure if that was a bug or if I'm missing something). Thing about HK though is that seconds beyond the opening town you already have deep platforming and exploration in that game, here it's just flat each way to start off.

Haiku the Robot: Alright, now we're getting more on my level. Haiku's nearest comparison would likely be Kunai just based on looks, but it's not quite the same (that game has much crunchier combat, for starters). This is more atmospheric. An interesting aspect of this one is healing. The currency of the game is gears, and to heal yourself, you use a wrench to replace faulty gears with new ones... so you heal with currency. You also have to hold the wrench button down for 2 seconds to get a heal in, so boss fights are a bit more tense as a result, trying to find the right window in which to repair yourself. The map is updated in real-time on this one, unlike Lone Fungus, but a region's map can be blocked off from you until you find the jamming device and disable it. Two big things that need to be addressed are the atrocious UI (which uses plain Windows fonts and had glitched text in the settings menu), and the frame pacing which is quite herky jerky. A lot of little micro-hitches that are a bit unpleasant.

Bat Boy: Moving away from Metroidvanias, here's a linear baseball-themed platformer from the creators of Smelter. With rad music and decent movement tech this feels a bit like Shovel Knight. The demo feels like a very early alpha build though, as I could see the seams in the tiling at times at the default resolution (1080p for some reason, with no ability to change it). But seems very promising.

Astlibra Revision: Whoa, hellooooo where did this game come from?? A side-scrolling ARPG with fast, fluid combat that reminds me of PSP-era Ys games. It's apparently a remake and expansion of a 2015 Japanese freeware game, and although the localization is a little stiff it's perfectly readable. I'm all about this one. Also, MAYBE closeted trans protag? It's implied by a text-only flashback.

Gastova: The Witches of Arkana: Here's a pretty polished Wonder Boy style game with a PS1 look to it (although I feel like it's zoomed out a little too much, makes it look a tiny bit less retro than it should). My only problem with it is the main weapon is kind of a puny feeling pea shooter of a magic wand. If you're going to choose magic combat over sword combat, you gotta make the magic combat as powerful as a sword would be. IDK. That's maybe just me. This does have a lot of effort put into it though, considering its initial kickstarter only had a goal of $10K. It's also scheduled for this year so that's probably why it's more polished than some of these other demos.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 3, 2021

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Rebel Blob posted:

The Age of Decadence is also quite a niche cRPG, but at least it has a demo.
This game is not for the faint of heart.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
ENDLESS Indie Metroidvanias

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaoVyzB9RFw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zIUrQDVnJw

BigRed0427 posted:

As others have said, source ports like GZDoom will do what you want, giving you default modern keybindings, jumping, mouselook, looking up and down, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34HfmGvUJIM

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 3, 2021

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Dread Delusion is really rad and I enjoyed the demo immensely. At the end of the demo my athletics was super high that I was tearing rear end at the speed of DOOM across the map. Lots of fun and rewarding secrets to find and it really makes use of the skills available. The game has a ton of potential.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Lots of cool looking games this year. I'm really happy there are not a billion games that use card combat like last year.

Edit: Oh, I see. They were replaced by retro shooters.

Det_no fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 3, 2021

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
Played the demos for Inscryption and Strange Horticulture. Both look great. Between those and Heroes Hour, I think that's enough upcoming games to lust after for now.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Is time loop a steam tag yet1

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is time loop a steam tag yet1

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

They seem to get Time Travel or Time Manipulation.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Yeah I'm getting recommendations for Time Manipulation now. Ya nailed it steam, I just love making clocks go the wrong way, I live for that poo poo.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Where tf are my save points in Outer Wilds this gives me so much anxiety

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
The game autosaves. Don't worry about it. If you die during the tutorial, just skip what you did, nothing unlocks based on it. After that, it will autosave.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

I think the game could've used an eventual 5 minute time limit for levels, it's at it's most fun when you're going fast and you act fearlessly.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Mr. Pardiggle posted:

Where tf are my save points in Outer Wilds this gives me so much anxiety

The games saves every 22 minutes but occasionally it does save after a shorter time based on specific criteria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Despite having enjoyed many of them, after having like 8+ bigger and smaller time loop game releases this year alone the concept is starting to lose its appeal.

12 Minutes
The Returnal
Deathloop
The Forgotten City
The Outer Wilds DLC
Lemnis Gate
Kraken Academy
Loop Hero

I'm only wondering when the biggest studios start incoroporating it into their CODs and their rear end Creeds.