Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1444398809065435136

:sickos:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

:hellyeah:

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i can't believe cyclists are behaving so atrociously, we all know that car drivers never look at their phones, run red lights, or zoom across lanes heedless of other people.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I like how the little excerpt talks about jaywalkers being nervous, as if jaywalking isn't literally the pedestrian version of what the bikes and cars are doing.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

jaywalking isn't real

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

the MN DOT is planning to make major changes to I-94, it gets a ton of traffic (150K vehicles/day) and has several points where the congestion is absolutely horrid, specifically the part where it runs parallel to 35W. The westbound part (arrow) starts backing up at 2 pm - the gray part of 94 just to the west of the arrow point is the lowry tunnel, which is only two lanes. So it creates an enormous bottleneck, both because it goes to two lanes, and you have so many people that are either going to uptown (area just south of the tunnel), 394 (leading to the western suburbs), or continuing on 94. After you get through the tunnel the congestion disappears. They literally cannot make it any wider (not that that would help because of induced demand).

Unfortunately the option of blowing it up is not going to happen. I do like one idea which is to cover large portions of it to make it basically a pedestrian/bike/public transit space, and that would reduce noise issues as well, as well as the separation of communities on opposite sides of 94. Having the middle of 94 be dedicated to public transit is also a good idea - they have this on 35W where the middle is only for express buses, with bus stations that are well protected from the freeway and the elements. One use of 94 that is a bit harder to deal with than cars is all the freight usage. In an ideal world we'd have trains for this, but for now maybe a dedicated freight/truck lane?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

IAMKOREA posted:

Welp just gonna ride my bike over to the PTSD factory see ya l8er!

this thread is gonna produce a shooter

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
car culture is the loving worst. i want to be able to bike around in my city but it's loving impossible, i'd get smashed so instead i have to pay to operate this dumb loving machine.

number 1: they're loud
number 2, you get no exercise, just sit in a position that's bad for you
number 3] they're too expensive
number 4) they're ugly (you're ugly too)
number 5. they smell bad
number 6| they're expensive and everyone judges you if you don't spend enough on them
number 7\ i hate them
number 9} they make you antisocial
number 10- i hate them

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Dolphin posted:

number 4) they're ugly

counterpoint, 1990s station wagons are cool as hell looking

Only registered members can see post attachments!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
things i hate

1 cars, 2 cars, 3 cars 4 cars 5 cars, 6 cars 7 pickup trucks 8 suvs 9 cars 10 cars 11 cars 12 cars 13

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
has anyone ever invented a kind of caltrop that can affect car tires but not bike tires

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

has anyone ever invented a kind of caltrop that can affect car tires but not bike tires
that would probably be pretty easy, just make it push the spike up when enough weight is added. could be an issue with fat people but what are the odds they're on a bicycle

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Dolphin posted:

that would probably be pretty easy, just make it push the spike up when enough weight is added. could be an issue with fat people but what are the odds they're on a bicycle

can you whip something up in CAD? thanks

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

jaywalking isn't real

lmao. its true.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
Look at all those loving jays walking across the street

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

Lol i love the pearl clutching tone of this

Pedestrians TREMBLED as they looked left snd then right and then left again before crossing!

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Look at all those loving jays walking across the street

hey jay, what's up

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Vomik posted:

gently caress I hope so

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Dolphin posted:

something speed bump shaped where the upper surface is held up by springs that compress when run over

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

saw a car the other day. horrible creatures.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

SKULL.GIF posted:

something speed bump shaped where the upper surface is held up by springs that compress when run over

okay what are we waiting for lets whip up a prototype.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Dolphin posted:

car culture is the loving worst. i want to be able to bike around in my city but it's loving impossible, i'd get smashed so instead i have to pay to operate this dumb loving machine.

number 1: they're loud
number 2, you get no exercise, just sit in a position that's bad for you
number 3] they're too expensive
number 4) they're ugly (you're ugly too)
number 5. they smell bad
number 6| they're expensive and everyone judges you if you don't spend enough on them
number 7\ i hate them
number 9} they make you antisocial
number 10- i hate them

If you hate something because other people judge you, take that as an opportunity to self-improve. It's important for your enjoyment to exist outside of other people after all other people don't give a gently caress about you, be sure to return the favor especially in leisure activity.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Vomik posted:

Picture of the trolly problem: but with cars strapped to the tracks.
Trains are more efficient than guns.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

cool av posted:

saw a car the other day. horrible creatures.

cars?! I HATE those!!

GET OUT OF MY FACE

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

https://twitter.com/FedeItaliano76/status/1443912072534892567

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Ah yes, the well known MTA death tunnels where thousands of subway riders every years are killed in tunnel fire accidents. Above ground tracks represent a very expensive externality for residents of the neighborhoods they traverse. Burying tracks protects them from inclimate weather and allow much more surface use within the area's they serve. For cross country trains, sure, above ground is fine, for mass transit within urban areas udnerground is a long term investment and we don't need liberals screeching about costs.

Lol shut up nimby

urban streetcars are cool and good and were so successful it took a combined automotive industry effort to capture-and-kill them off.

watch the famous documentary on the phenomenon, who framed roger rabbit?

Harik has issued a correction as of 20:31 on Oct 3, 2021

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
i think the disconnect here is ate poo poo is talking about car-centric exurb commute "mass transit" and I'm talking about non-car-based transport that good cities have

like no poo poo manhattan can't put their subways at street level because they have 50,000 square miles of wasteland exurb car-based mcmansions swarming the city that funnel into a handful of major lines optimized for getting people into and out of the city as quickly and efficiently as possible

vs a network of slower street-level bus replacements to get from your apartment to a store 3-4 blocks away. you can do this with dedicated bus lanes but that's a larger wear surface (street and rubber tires throwing up pollution) and contributes to ground impermeability. You can have gravel & greenery alongside tracks aside from stations & crossings. lower speeds means less of a risk of hitting pedestrians and any vehicles operating inside city limits would be strictly licensed and operated, not random people driving around in personal cars

you still need higher speed interconnect lines (raised, buried or dedicated no-crossing ROW depending on the need) but they can have much fewer stops than car-based mass transit lines, since wherever the go there would be a local surface level transit system to take advantage of

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxWjtpzCIfA vs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeOKbIxXk9c

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
put them underground it’s annoying to ride a bike over tracks

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

If you hate something because other people judge you, take that as an opportunity to self-improve. It's important for your enjoyment to exist outside of other people after all other people don't give a gently caress about you, be sure to return the favor especially in leisure activity.
i'm feeling very judged

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

written by an expat from washington dc as opposed to a real parisian, and it couldn't be more obvious

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

put the cars underground and then dynamite the tunnel supports

let the trains be free

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
trains are just cars that have been dommed by the state

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Harik posted:

like no poo poo manhattan can't put their subways at street level because they have 50,000 square miles of wasteland exurb car-based mcmansions swarming the city that funnel into a handful of major lines optimized for getting people into and out of the city as quickly and efficiently as possible

that’s nj transit and metro north - which are street level

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

people and their cars and waiting in line with their cars at the costco

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

driving to dunkin donuts and waiting 25 minutes in the drive-through line to get a medium coffee

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Polo-Rican posted:

driving to dunkin donuts and waiting 25 minutes in the drive-through line to get a medium coffee

the entire inside area to order is completely empty but the line is backed into the street

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
underground rail and aboveground rail are both good people just importing their local bullshit pertaining to stalling tactics that transit opponents use. The way this issue hashes out is very regional

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

the line that I smash into and die because I haven’t slept more than 3 hours between shifts at different companies in 2 years

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Vomik posted:

the entire inside area to order is completely empty but the line is backed into the street

yes!! I grew up in central connecticut and dunkin is basically the only "culture." when I was younger & working part time jobs in high school, it was probably 50/50 inside customers / drive-thru customers. Now, when I go back to visit for holidays and whatnot, it's 100% drive through, not a single soul goes inside, which is especially weird because the drive through line moves at a snail's pace

I mentioned this earlier in the thread but CT specifically is one of the most car-poisoned states. quality of life completely obliterated by NY and MA through-traffic, yet too cowardly to put tolls on the highways because the word "tolls" makes drivers mad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

new england (or at least the providence-boston area) has the worst drivers on the goddamn planet. they especially don't deserve their cars and those places actually have functional mass transit

you know where it's fun to drive? nigeria. i saw a policeman do a perfect pirouette and smash a window out with the butt of his rifle because the guy ahead of me went up on the sidewalk to take a right on red

it's actually easier than in the states, because everyone has their windows down and communicates with eyes, shouting and honking. it rules