Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

castlevania: aria of sorrow. 100% map, all but one soul (gently caress you legion). fuckin great game, best igavania other than sotn. did they ever fix bloodstained on switch? i kinda want to play it again now and i'm still workin g through prey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Fungah! posted:

castlevania: aria of sorrow. 100% map, all but one soul (gently caress you legion). fuckin great game, best igavania other than sotn. did they ever fix bloodstained on switch? i kinda want to play it again now and i'm still workin g through prey

No.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I beat Orwell: Ignorance is strength

It was not as good as the first.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It Takes Two

Played it with my brother, really great and creative co-op game. I loved how almost every level had the two characters using new and separate powers as it made for lots of cool puzzles.

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah
hades epilogue & death loop

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Outer Wilds: Echoes of the Eye

Didn't really like some of the puzzle mechanics around the 3/4 mark. Wonderful twists and turns, wonderful explorations.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD

This game had always eluded me when it was current, so I was happy for the remake coming out. I had heard a lot of mixed opinions on it, so I went in with tempered expectations. I came out with mixed opinions myself, but not quite how I expected it

The good
+ it looks absolutely gorgeous. The HD probably helped, but generally the art direction, how the temples are decorated etc. is fantastic. So lush!
+ final boss especially looks sick as hell
+ motion controls aren't that bad. I've never hated them to begin with in other games, they were mostly fine here, and it's fun to slash away like a maniac
+ parrying is both fun and effective
+ some excellent dungeons, some excellent fights

The bad
- structure is a total mess. You can never tell how much game is left or if you're making any concrete progress because the story keeps throwing random padding your way. There's no distinction between minor and major dungeons, so more than once I was like "oh that's already over, just a minor diversion then I guess" OR "oh huh this is a full thing with item + boss"
- for some fights, the controls are simply not precise enough. Especially in the last battles, where first stabbing (and only that) is key and then you need to hold up the sword skywardly quickly, that shows badly. The fights aren't super hard but I kept getting hit because Link just wasn't doing what I wanted. On the other hand, sometimes they were TOO precise, as in it was almost impossible to slice twice from the same direction, because you have to move your hand back to the starting position, which the game eagerly interpreted as a slash in the other direction
- all the character models including Link look like total dipshits
- Fi wasn't AS bad as I expected (tho they might have toned her down for the HD version?), but she still spoiled a lot of what could have been cool puzzles. After a while I also just stopped reading stone tablets that kept spelling out the simplest puzzles
- didn't care for any of the sidequests (did them all tho) or minigames (definitely didn't do those), especially because getting around the world is just so drat tedious

Overall, I'm happy that I got to experience it and it was worth it for a lot of stunning visuals, some fights and dungeons. It's very much a cherry-pick game, but I'd recommend it for anyone to try out, with - again - tempered expectations.

Now I'm in a Zelda mood and eager to re-experience Twilight Princess, which I last played 15 years ago when it came out.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Excellent aside from the abysmal stealth sections which brings it down to just okay

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The setting and atmosphere of the whole thing were amazing but gently caress walking around samey looking sections in the dark on a timer while also trying to not get caught. I just wanna explore and learn new poo poo!

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

Excellent aside from the abysmal stealth sections which brings it down to just okay

American McGay posted:

The setting and atmosphere of the whole thing were amazing but gently caress walking around samey looking sections in the dark on a timer while also trying to not get caught. I just wanna explore and learn new poo poo!

:hai:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

34. Dishonored. Not sure how the endings are classified but it seemed Good, and my Chaos was low at the end. Extremely good game, dense and breezy, every step of the way you could see 6 different ways to do something and the pace of each level was basically perfect until the end. These people know how to design a video game level.

In Training fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 4, 2021

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Shin Megami Tensei 4: Apocalypse - bonds ending. I liked 4 a lot and this was an improvement in pretty much every way. My only complaint was the difficulty where the game was pretty easy up until the last boss who might be the hardest boss I've ever faced in an RPG, which was kind of a weird sudden spike. Otherwise it was near-perfect, the battle system's largely the same as 4 but with some tweaks to the way smirking works that makes it much more engaging, the story, art, and sound design was all great, and I really loved all the characters. I'm super excited for 5. I'll probably start up Soul Hackers before too long, I was planning on doing Strange Journey Redux next but I don't know if I'll be able to finish it before 5 launches.

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse - pretty good overall but i hated the last dungeon. the final boss makes up for it though. i think my favorite improvement over IV is how much easier it is to determine your ending. I can't remember what they changed about smirk. Did they add Magaon (removes smirk) maybe? I put that on the mc asap and kept it there the whole game.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Cyberpunk 2077
Pretty much the same as any other open world game, but with better graphics.
Cool playing it with raytracing on, but not much else.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

wrong. it doesn't have horse testicle expansion, the mark of a truely great game.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Frenz posted:

Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse - pretty good overall but i hated the last dungeon. the final boss makes up for it though. i think my favorite improvement over IV is how much easier it is to determine your ending. I can't remember what they changed about smirk. Did they add Magaon (removes smirk) maybe? I put that on the mc asap and kept it there the whole game.

Yeah, they added skills to remove or apply smirk and made it so a bunch of skills have secondary effects if used while smirking, and that hama and mudo were just normal light and dark damage attacks but would be instant kills if used when smirking.

And yeah that last dungeon was a huge drag

Fiend Matador
Feb 19, 2011

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Shin Megami Tensei 4: Apocalypse - bonds ending. I liked 4 a lot and this was an improvement in pretty much every way. My only complaint was the difficulty where the game was pretty easy up until the last boss who might be the hardest boss I've ever faced in an RPG, which was kind of a weird sudden spike. Otherwise it was near-perfect, the battle system's largely the same as 4 but with some tweaks to the way smirking works that makes it much more engaging, the story, art, and sound design was all great, and I really loved all the characters. I'm super excited for 5. I'll probably start up Soul Hackers before too long, I was planning on doing Strange Journey Redux next but I don't know if I'll be able to finish it before 5 launches.

The final boss' move where he maximizes all his stats, minimizes all of your stats, and gives himself Smirk status is so hosed up lol, SMT ftw

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004

In Training posted:

Dishonored. Not sure how the endings are classified but it seemed Good, and my Chaos was low at the end. Extremely good game, dense and breezy, every step of the way you could see 6 different ways to do something and the pace of each level was basically perfect until the end. These people know how to design a video game level.

agreed. i just beat deathloop and i really enjoyed picking apart the maps at different times of the day.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

diablo 2 hell + uber tristram

they did a good job, thank you vicarious visions

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

In Training posted:

Dishonored. Not sure how the endings are classified but it seemed Good, and my Chaos was low at the end. Extremely good game, dense and breezy, every step of the way you could see 6 different ways to do something and the pace of each level was basically perfect until the end. These people know how to design a video game level.

yeah im playing prey 2017 and the level design is really good and dense. arkane is pretty solidly ftw

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

mbt posted:

diablo 2 hell + uber tristram

they did a good job, thank you vicarious visions
Class?

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance. Got the best ending. The game got better the further along I played it, and the spell books were a lot better than Circle of the Moon's random drop cards. Took me a while to get used to Juste's floaty jumps.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Fungah! posted:

yeah im playing prey 2017 and the level design is really good and dense. arkane is pretty solidly ftw

Prey is so loving good

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Impostor Factory

Not quite what I expected from the next installment in this series but very good nonetheless.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ArfJason posted:

Prey is so loving good

ot teally is, theres so much to do and all the mechanics are really good. great spooky month vibes too

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

smiter paladin + blizzard sorc

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004

ArfJason posted:

Prey is so loving good

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

ArfJason posted:

Prey is so loving good

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

35. Burnout 3. Completed the Race World Tour and the Crash World Tour, 170/173 events completed, 149 Golds. the last 25% of this game is a real mfer. blasting through every track in the game in a white knuckle super grand prix with all of the longest tracks possible was such a fantastic finale. getting gold there made up for all of the challenegs i felt short getting there. burnout ftw

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
Psychonauts 2

still loving around in the postgame, might 100% later

possibly my goty? some of the levels were kinda samey around the middle but overall drat they really pulled this off

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

ArfJason posted:

Prey is so loving good

I keep meaning to play this, but keep forgetting. Sounds great though - I picked it up a while back for next to nothing during a Steam sale. Once I finish Partisans 1941 I reckon I'll need to give it a go. Arkane do indeed make fantastic levels! Dishonored+DLC was just top-shelf stuff, drat

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
lost judgment, 74.5% completion, finished all the school stories and gonna wrap up the rest of the side stuff in premium adventure. decent enough story, excellent everything else. the gameplay in this is firing on all cylinders in a way it hasn't since yakuza 5/0. the combat's super snappy and fun and there's a huge variety of weird side games. huge surprise since judgment 1 was one of my least favorite yakuzas to play. and yes i will be claiming my rightful place as Imp Zone First Penguin

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
Dyson Sphere Program. The pacing at the end is kind of weird, you do 90% of the research projects on your starting solar system, and you're only really motivated to go elsewhere when you run out of space. There's a bunch of rare resources on the outer planets but none of them seem worth the trouble. Also you only need to build 10% of the actual sphere to win.

Overall though i enjoyed it, would recommend if you like factory games.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
assassins creed origins, game and dlc. beat all the quests and dlc quests but credits never rolled?

good game, though i liked odyssey better (i played it first)

the weird trippy visions and afterworld poo poo felt so weird tho

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Firewatch

Got me out of the funk, at least. Hated the main character and was super pissed when I accidentally had phone sex with the lady.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Arrhythmia posted:

Firewatch

Got me out of the funk, at least. Hated the main character and was super pissed when I accidentally had phone sex with the lady.

lol

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

accidental straight run

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

trying to jack off posted:

accidental straight run

Lol

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

1. Persona 4
2. SMT III - Nocturne

This game rules. I'm amazed at how the game is both ruthless with you when you make mistakes, but also extremely easy when you know what you're doing. It was definitely an extremely unique experience and hell, I can see going to check out IV, Apocalypse, and probably V when it comes out/I get my hands on a Switch. Definitely one of the best games I've ever played, and I will probably NG+ it soon enough to see how alternate builds might work. If I were making a turn-based game I'd want it to play like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
1. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Grand Prix ALL CUPS IN 50CC, 100CC, 150CC, MIRROR AND 200CC 3 STARS)
2. Sonic Advance (Sonic)
3. Alien Syndrome (US version, 1-ALL 1CC no death, reached 2-6) - video
4. Sonic 3 Complete (Knuckles, Tails)
5. Super Mario World (96 exits)
6. Super Mario All-Stars: Super Mario Bros. (no warps, no continues)
7. Truxton II (1-ALL, 1CC) - video
8. Bonk's Adventure (NES)
9. Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu (NES, no death)
10. Persona 4 (Normal ending)
11. Castlevania (NES, 1-ALL, no death, game over at 2-4) - video
12. Yakuza Kiwami
13. Super Mario Galaxy (3D All-Stars version, 120 stars)
14. Suikoden
15. Donpachi (Japan, 1-ALL, dead at 2-2) - video
16. Super Metroid (Control Freak hack, 4:00, 60%, saved the animals)
17. Doom (E1, E2 on UV, E3 on HMP, no mid-level saving, pistol start on death)
18. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
19. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
20. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Justice For All
21. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations
22. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (Switch)
23. Super Mario Odyssey
24. Sonic Colors Ultimate

its ok. i wish i had known the switch version was 30fps otherwise i wouldve gotten the ps4 version but oh well. load times were fine and as far as glitches go i partially clipped thru a ceiling once. final boss was really fun. i didnt care much for the wisp powers