Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Iamgoofball posted:

can someone tell me all the details about this cornette guy?

He's former promoter/booker/manager who has a near encyclopedic knowledge of pre-90s pro wrestling in North America. Problem is he is completely stuck in the 80s, so he's transphobic, homophobic, racist, etc. He's used to have a job commentating for the National Wrestling Alliance, but because he refused to apologize for a racist joke that he recycled from the 80s he's pretty much blacklisted from the entire industry. He really, really hates comedy in pro wrestling, so anyone who did it in the past or present is permanently on his shitlist (hence his hatred of Omega).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
just suddenly become the biggest Young Bucks and Kenny Omega fan and ask him if he saw their latest matches and talk about how great it was and say you looked them up after you heard their names from his wrestling podcast and how it's cool that wrestling nowadays has so many cool moves and flips and it's more like art than two old sweaty drunks rubbing against eachother

then ask him to Too Sweet you and put your hand up like this

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Start dressing like Orange Cassidy with literally no explanation.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Iamgoofball posted:

i dont know much about wrestling, i prefer football(real football btw), but my new roommate keeps listening to this cornette guy's podcast and it's fuckin terrible

he's also got all this poo poo he put up on the wall

can someone tell me all the details about this cornette guy? all i know from the various poo poo i've overheard from him playing cornette's podcast really loud all day is that 1. he's transphobic and 2. he really hates someone named kenny omega

So Jim Cornette has been the avatar for a certain type of wrestling fan for the last couple decades. The fan who takes wrestling far too seriously and hates WWE's Sports Entertainment but can't accept wrestling as anything more than a serious combat sport akin to UFC only with predetermined endings.

And in his defense the dude has the bona fides to speak for this population. He was one of the best managers of the 80's and 90's, arguably the best booker in the US in the first half of the 90's and had enough stories about the business because he'd worked everywhere in North America that for a lot of fans his experiences were their only window to the business.

Of course because that period was when he was successful he refuses to move on. He hates wrestlers who are willing to be silly or treat their craft as more theatre than sport he sees them as hurting the business.

Also he's a middle aged man who thinks South Park and Family Guy are the height of humour.

He's burned a lot of bridges and refused to grow as the business moved past him and now he's an old man yelling at clouds, infuriated that he can't say the N word or sexually harass women or insult them on commentary.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Iamgoofball posted:

i dont know much about wrestling, i prefer football(real football btw), but my new roommate keeps listening to this cornette guy's podcast and it's fuckin terrible

can someone tell me all the details about this cornette guy? all i know from the various poo poo i've overheard from him playing cornette's podcast really loud all day is that 1. he's transphobic and 2. he really hates someone named kenny omega

He is incredibly racist, he not only says racist stuff about Asian women wrestlers he hates but has hated Muslims for 20 years. This includes calling for war crimes following 9-11 and calling them "Cave loving People" in 2014 in a long, hate-filled rant that got his co-host to quit. He lost his job as an NWA announcer because of racism, can't get more work at MLW because of transphobia, lost his job with ROH because he has no good ideas and lost his job in WWE developmental because he's a psycho who hits trainees.

Also all of his ideas are bad.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Iamgoofball posted:

:ohno:

Puppy Doll
Dec 20, 2011

Hey everybody!

Iamgoofball posted:

Cornette's a man with decades worth of experience in the pro wrestling world who absolutely hates the fact that basically everybody knows that pro wrestling is scripted/pre-determined/fake/not actually two dudes punching each other in the head for real. Please note that when he was in charge of running a wrestling promotion he had a wrestler who was an off-brand Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle. He will lash out at anyone he thinks is "exposing the business", like wrestlers who use their legal names on social media instead of their wrestling names, or wrestlers who are on the leaner or shorter side. He considers Kenny Omega (a man widely regarded as one of the best pro wrestlers in the world) to be the apex of Everything Wrong With Wrestling, because Kenny had a match against a blow-up doll in Japan about a decade ago, talks like an anime villain, and is friends with Japanese women. He likes to say that Kenny and his friends the Young Bucks are failures despite the fact that they're literally responsible for a new boom period in wrestling.

Cornette's considered to be a walking encyclopedia of wrestling history which is why he's a frequent talking head on Vice's show Dark Side of the Ring, a series that looks at "controversial subjects and events within the realm of professional wrestling". Many people do not want him to be platformed in this way because of Cornette's extensive history of calling for wrestlers who 'expose the business' to experience physical harm, his constant bigotry, and his (alleged) practice of coercing young men he trained into having sexual relations with his wife.

TL;DR hypocrite old man yells at clouds

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Brian Zane articulated it quite nicely a couple of years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-7mpZkmd8w

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
Master craftsman in making a stunt look like weak poo poo while also inflicting maximum physical pain on themselves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2m24JlJOW4

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
His hatred of Kenny Omega has also moved into the domain of slander because he pretty much outright says that Kenny is a pedophile or close to one who grooms young Japanese women and then gets them jobs in AEW. He's also called all the women in AEW whores at one point or another. Not in the sense of just attacking their character but claiming they've slept with everyone they can and that's why they have jobs.

Cornette also has no real conception of Japanese wrestling outside of some matches where western wrestlers go to Japan. He completely dismisses all joshi wrestlers, most Japanese wrestlers, and doesn't understand why anyone would want to watch Japanese wrestling.

He also goes on about how he hates comedy wrestling, despite stuff like the aforementioned not-Ninja Turtle, and notably did a clothes off match with Paulie Dangerously (Heyman).

Essentially a washed up manager and promoter who has been pretty much fired from every fed he worked for, burned every bridge he ever saw, and now languishes on Youtube and podcatchers trying to be the equivalent of a shock jock for wrestling.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

oh? who is jim cornette you ask? well, take a seat...

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

I think the post is a work everyone. we all know that cornette only refers to kenny as kenny Olivier, so a non wrestling fan would never know his real name. checkmate.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Jim Cornette is one of those assholes who thinks Leave It To Beaver was a documentary.

He’s spent most of his adult life fantasizing about a return to a world that never existed.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Sorry about your 60 year old roommate

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

BGrifter posted:

Jim Cornette is one of those assholes who thinks Leave It To Beaver was a documentary.

He’s spent most of his adult life fantasizing about a return to a world that never existed.

He literally lived with his mom until she died and still lives in that house. Not saying there's anything bad about taking care of your single parent who needs the help but he's a literal manchild.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

He literally lived with his mom until she died and still lives in that house. Not saying there's anything bad about taking care of your single parent who needs the help but he's a literal manchild.

Thinking about my parents neighbor who lives with his 90+ year old mother on the same life path. He deals drugs, mows lawns, stabs tires and generally contributes more to society than Jim Cornette.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

It's a pretty big house.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

LionYeti posted:

Wait hold on what the hell is this?

in 2019, Impact did a throwback show in the style of a 90s Manitoba fed with TV clearance.

https://www.cagematch.net/?id=1&nr=246688&page=2

Despite the obvious creeps on the card, it was quite good. Sami esp seemed to take great joy in Cornette.

FullMetalJackoff
Feb 15, 2004

Waluigi want his fucking Amiibo

Iamgoofball posted:

He's the angry video game nerd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDQCXdwLQR4

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

To be fair, I can't remember James Rolfe ever saying anything homophobic, racist, or transphobic and seems like a good father/OK dude with just a crude sense of humor unless there's something I don't know. I haven't watched his stuff in a while.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Sep 30, 2021

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Unperson_47 posted:

To be fair, I can't remember James Rolfe ever saying anything homophobic, racist, or transphobic and seems like a good father/OK dude with just a crude sense of humor unless there's something I don't know. I haven't watched his stuff in a while.

Nah you pretty much nailed it.

Cornette is like if the Angry Video Game nerd smooth brained himself into actually hating video games and became the character.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Lissencephaly is no appropriate insult or laughing matter.

Iamgoofball
Jul 1, 2015

alright this fucker seems like an rear end in a top hat, going to heavily judge my roommate for their taste in wrestling shock jockeys at all available opportunities now, thanks

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Iamgoofball posted:

alright this fucker seems like an rear end in a top hat, going to heavily judge my roommate for their taste in wrestling shock jockeys at all available opportunities now, thanks

Cornette really hates certain wrestlers who flip or do comedy stuff, so if you just subtly start talking about how good and fun that stuff is, it’ll probably annoy your roommate

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
https://twitter.com/ItzBonafide/status/1443332775113859072?s=19

Went to post this in the Chris Regal thread but wasn't sure if Jim is quarantined here so have a demented fan opinion.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

rotinaj posted:

Cornette really hates certain wrestlers who flip or do comedy stuff, so if you just subtly start talking about how good and fun that stuff is, it’ll probably annoy your roommate

Please note that at one time, of course, Cornette and his tag team of the Midnight Express were known for being very funny precisely because they would stooge so well for faces. Also Bobby Eaton was an amazing high flyer. So.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Replace that dudes Cult of Cornette certificate (ugh) with that, OP

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQi_u2mD_ZQ

I want to see more wrestling art from whoever did this one.

Vandar fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 1, 2021

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
the comments on the video seem to agree

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

uh oh

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Cornettehead.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

dammit, at least the two thumbnails before this one featured recognizable likenesses. that...being in the middle could be any of half a dozen dark-haired WWE beardmen, if that Schrodinger’s Rassleman also suffered from :sterv: eye

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

What the hell is even going on in this picture?

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

edogawa rando posted:

What the hell is even going on in this picture?

TV’s Frank stole Jesus’s wiener in front of Cornette.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Cropped Cornette thumbnails are high art.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Pretty cool Onita art on this one. It'd make a rad t-shirt or poster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl4W7agCW_8

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

IGgy IGsen posted:

Cropped Cornette thumbnails are high art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Someone edit this into the one Kelly comic. You know which one I'm talking about.

EDIT: FIVE STARS...HA HA HA...