Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

silvergoose posted:

gently caress'N HELL

that right there is why HA is a mod, you have to respect it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

DarkHorse posted:

Bad horse, bad horse, bad horse, she's bad!

The thoroughbred of sin!?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

ConfusedUs posted:

The thoroughbred of sin!?

The mare of misdeeds!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

She's no dark friend. She's Neigh'blis

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

eke out posted:

that right there is why HA is a mod, you have to respect it

I first heard the joke on the Jordan Usenet group over 15 years ago, back when the "Bela is the Creator" jokes started. It's an oldie but a goodie.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Jedit posted:

I first heard the joke on the Jordan Usenet group over 15 years ago, back when the "Bela is the Creator" jokes started. It's an oldie but a goodie.

Best thing about this series getting a TV show is recycling twenty year old jokes

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

There's a lot of corruptions of words throughout the series, but does nae'blis bear resemblance to anything?

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

There's a lot of corruptions of words throughout the series, but does nae'blis bear resemblance to anything?

reddit thread leads me to wikipedia: "Iblīs (alternatively Eblīs, Iblees, Eblees or Ibris) is the leader of the devils (Shayāṭīn) in Islam. "

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Neat! That's legitimately one of my favourite things about the series.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
I didn't realize the thing about the trolloc band names being monster words through several rereads and relistens

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Best thing about this series getting a TV show is recycling twenty year old jokes

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I too jumped on the Wheel Takes podcast and I forgot how much of a baller Verin is in the first few books, probably the most underrated and underestimated character in the series?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Probably not underrated by the end, but definitely an all time favorite. Her POV chapters are consistently just The Best.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

The show runners could easily remove Verin, but I hope she makes it in. She does a lot to drive home why people don’t trust Aes Sedai in the second book, and she turns out to be such a cool character.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
if I were to make a list of essential Aes Sedai to include, Verin is on a pretty short list

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, ditching Verin would be insane considering she's one of the Aes Sedai who has a presence in almost every book and one of the better character arcs overall. You could maybe merge some of the auxiliary ones into her, but her role should probably stand.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The OG battlestar galactica had a Count Iblis who was the devil

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Verin in book 12 is one of the high points of the series, you'd be insane to cut that out

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Verin is like.. ugh GOT comparison here but Varys/Littlefinger but actually accomplished something in the end.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
https://twitter.com/TheWheelOfTime/status/1445071238045437956?s=20

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

He mad

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Brolander posted:

I didn't realize the thing about the trolloc band names being monster words through several rereads and relistens

Holy poo poo

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I too jumped on the Wheel Takes podcast and I forgot how much of a baller Verin is in the first few books, probably the most underrated and underestimated character in the series?

What wheel of time podcast?

Edit: there are a lot and I would like to goon endorsed one

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
https://www.buzzsprout.com/762050 Is the one I think people have been following along with recently. I've been enjoying it in lieu of Yet Another Reread.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

There's some point in the podcast where they realize they could have called it WoT Takes instead of Wheel Takes but it's too late to do anything about it and it's pretty funny

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

RC Cola posted:

What wheel of time podcast?

Edit: there are a lot and I would like to goon endorsed one

The one we've been talking about lately is called Wheel Takes. It's pretty good!

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

CainsDescendant posted:

There's some point in the podcast where they realize they could have called it WoT Takes instead of Wheel Takes but it's too late to do anything about it and it's pretty funny

I thought it was called Wheel of Takes and I listened to 2 full episodes and have read the title in this thread like a dozen times.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

CainsDescendant posted:

Yeah, but the Wheel wheels as the Wheel wheels.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Vavrek posted:

Yeah, but the Wheel wheels as the Wheel wheels.

That gets me every time.

RedFlag
Nov 22, 2007

The "Wheel Weaves" podcast with Dani and Brett is pretty good too. Less chaos energy (despite a drinking shots minigame they got going), but the hosts are entertaining and Dani is not afraid to take a stand on certain predictions. No matter how much Brett tries to throw her off. And they are moving at a pretty good pace without sacrificing length and detail.

One day I will reach my threshold on how many WoT casts I can stand listening to each week; this has not happened yet. But Wheel Takes and Wheel Weaves are the casts I listen to first. Not sure why I dropped off WoT Spoilers, which I was all in on for a while, but I would guess I just prefer the new reader/old reader format that much more.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I just couldn't acclimate to WoT Spoilers having rotating hosts after the one guy left the show. I'd have been fine if he'd been replaced by someone consistent, but every episode having random people (usually with bad mics) was too much for me.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I just want that "EOTW in 2 minutes" video person to do that for each of the 14 books

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

RedFlag posted:

The "Wheel Weaves" podcast with Dani and Brett is pretty good too.

I just glanced at that one (maybe will give it a listen later, who knows) and it kind of set me off on a thing that bugs me.

What the hell is with all these blind reads that jump straight from Fires of Heaven to New Spring? Is it just "oh no Moiraine, I want more Moiraine"? Let her just be dead! For a book or three! New Spring is full of characters who get introduced properly somewhere in books 6-10 (admittedly Cadsuane is the only one who comes to mind). You're interrupting the flow of the second trilogy if read New Spring between books 5&6!

I was burned hard by Narnia and HarperCollins as a child and I will always object to reading things out of publication order, whether or not there are spoilers per se.

But seriously, Wheel Takes, Wheel Weaves, and Nexue all read New Spring early and I'm not really sure why. Is there some website out there that gives a recommended reading order, that everybody's referring to? Is this a fan consensus that I never picked up on (because I only looked at the fandom around the release of New Spring, and then not again until the last couple years)?

It just bugs me. I always call New Spring book 10.5 and I think that's a fine place for it in the series.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

For Wheel Takes and Wheel Weaves specifically, they're wanting to read NS before the show comes out in case any stuff from the book makes it into the show. Otherwise, I've often seen the general advice for reading order w/r/t NS as "anytime after book 5" so a lot of folks just jump straight into it when they can

I like The Wheel Weaves ok but you can tell the new reader isn't super invested, and she's that brand of Harry Potter superfan that I personally find a bit annoying.

CainsDescendant fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 5, 2021

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Whereas you watch Ali get increasingly invested as time goes on, it's pretty cool.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

CainsDescendant posted:

For Wheel Takes and Wheel Weaves specifically, they're wanting to read NS before the show comes out in case any stuff from the book makes it into the show. Otherwise, I've often seen the general advice for reading order w/r/t NS as "anytime after book 5" so a lot of folks just jump straight into it when they can
That does make a lot of sense, thanks. I was kind of surprised at how recently Wheel Takes started. I saw the episode count and assumed, y'know, that it was one episode every week or two, not "well we're in quarantine and super bored, so we're doing ONE A DAY."

Woulda been great timing had I found the podcast then—I started listening to the audiobooks because I was avoiding the current events in my podcasts.

CainsDescendant posted:

I like The Wheel Weaves ok but you can tell the new reader isn't super invested, and she's that brand of Harry Potter superfan that I personally find a bit annoying.
My brother's ex-girlfriend had one of the best responses, apparently. Friend of hers was after her to read Harry Potter for a long while, and she eventually said okay, fine, lend me the first book. Finishes it, hands it back, her friend excitedly goes "You want to borrow the next one?" She responded "nah I'm good," and her friend looked like they'd just been slapped. Was not expecting the "it's fine, I guess?" reaction to their beloved series.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

CainsDescendant posted:

I just couldn't acclimate to WoT Spoilers having rotating hosts after the one guy left the show. I'd have been fine if he'd been replaced by someone consistent, but every episode having random people (usually with bad mics) was too much for me.

Yea, I quit listening to them when he left because he was my favorite of the two. It sucks that instead of a replacement host they've just got a bunch of people rotating in. That would drive me nuts too.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i've been reading a couple of the recluce books by l.e. modesitt jr since i saw a few of them at my local used book store and mostly want stuff to go through while working out and whatever else, and it's mostly reminding me of how much better jordan is at writing characters as a whole. like, these books aren't like notably bad by any means so far, but the difference is definitely notable to me. mostly makes me hope the tv show is alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aborted
Aug 7, 2007

Boba Fatt
Ali cracks me up with some of her chapter notes. gently caress boy Aram and the Way of the Queef