Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Home Bargains used to do that size can of mixed beans (in water not sauce) for 29p a can. Haven't done them for a few months now :(
They were a decent, filling snack.
So now I have to do all that soaking and boiling stuff (in the microwave lest anyone think I have resorted to the hobs or oven).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Regarde Aduck posted:

I have found a good way to not care so much about all these new types of milk you can get is to have your material conditions deteriorate to the point where just surviving is the new goal

you're a right whiner.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

I bet a million pounds that he would not have been charged with rape if it wasn't for them being in the spotlight now.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Gambrinus posted:

I bet a million pounds that he would not have been charged with rape if it wasn't for them being in the spotlight now.

Yeah I'm struggling to parse this as anything but the order coming down to clean house, and the relevant super sighing as they open the Big Book Of Crimes My Lads Did (Do Not Use)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

NotJustANumber99 posted:

you're a right whiner.

Oh gently caress off

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Spangly A posted:

Yeah I'm struggling to parse this as anything but the order coming down to clean house, and the relevant super sighing as they open the Big Book Of Crimes My Lads Did (Do Not Use)

Or they were warned that the rapist raping someone would leak to the press and were forced to take action before it went public.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

forkboy84 posted:

Oh gently caress off

Yeah this. You have zero loving clue what is going on in other people's lives and how badly they are doing right now. Pretty much everything is hosed and only going to get worse in the near future, so please gently caress off with calling people whiners for being a bit downbeat about it.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
or relax

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I was just wondering does anyone know any homeless shelter for transwomen? I have several pairs (some new) of UK size 10 (Eu size 43/44) shoes to give away. I tried gumtree and facebook to no avail. I thought maybe I could send them to a homeless shelter and transwomen are more likely to have my size feet. Alternatively, if this is a seriously bad idea, please say!

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Payndz posted:

I just consider milk as coffee cooler, and have found the cheapest supermarket own-brand "soya drinks" (because they can't use the word 'milk' in their names) do a perfectly fine job, as they taste of nothing. The more expensive fake-milks like oat, cashew or whatever taste entirely too much like what they are and I don't want that in my coffee, thanks.

I think they actually could use milk in the name now, that was an ECJ decision. I don't know whether the UK still chooses to follow that ruling but it certainly doesn't have to any more. Plant milks are fine for cooking IMO and I'll even use them on cereal, but I still prefer cow juice for tea. Like Guava says it's cheese where vegan products are most lacking - there are a lot of people trying really hard to make a really good vegan cheese but IMO no-one has yet succeeded. Crack that and as far as I care you can make all my dairy out of plants and I'll live with slightly different tasting tea.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Oct 4, 2021

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I read a couple of articles this year and last about efforts to create milk grown in a lab without the involvement of animals, I hope that works out in an affordable way. I could probably go vegetarian and I've been trying to find the time to explore some more recipes, but giving up dairy would be seriously difficult. It's just so god drat delicious.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Regarde Aduck posted:

I have found a good way to not care so much about all these new types of milk you can get is to have your material conditions deteriorate to the point where just surviving is the new goal

Are you OK? Not prying, but I will mention the UKMT hardship fund is there if anyone needs it.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
eh, i'm only as hosed as a lot of other people. Long term issues combined with living in a country that's deadset on getting even harsher and all that. It was one half hyperbole and one half gallows humour that I probably need to reign in. Things are rough but there's many more people with it worse than I have and there's more of them every day.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 4, 2021

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Almond milk goes back to the middle ages, and they called it almond milk.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1444903224021078017

Its okay everyone they're 'concerned' about it and its nothing to do with the whatsapp group with Couzens being looked into where they were clearly talking about doing more rapes. Purely co-incidence that its another officer in his unit.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Almond milk goes back to the middle ages, and they called it almond milk.

Yeah, the problem with unpasteurised, unrefridgerated milk is that it tends to go off pretty drat quickly; almond milk was a kind of medieval long-life substitute.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Shh, you're making Chidi's stomach hurt

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Almond milk is flavoured water. It's 2% almonds if you're lucky.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Flayer posted:

Dairy milk is also flavoured water

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Flayer posted:

Cow milk is flavoured water, even full-fat milk is 90% water.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

People are flavoured water

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

sebzilla posted:

People are flavoured water

https://twitter.com/NoContextTrek/status/1320772110420221953?s=19

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Flayer posted:

I drank nothing but latte di mandorla in Sicily, and it was delicious! So when I came home I sought out almond milk, but here it all tastes like oats. Not sure now whether the Sicilian stuff was actually better, or just infused with holiday joy.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Drink oat milk if you're aiming for a substitute, almonds are usually an environmental disaster unless they're grown in an embargoed country and soya is iffy compared to oat agriculture.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Flayer posted:

I tried 100% almond milk but it was a bit too crunchy.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I’ve never even tried a non-dairy milk, is this yet another hot new trend my aging brain has missed the boat on

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

It's a trend but it aint new grandad

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Today I learned that I am not the only person who has seen that movie.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

TACD posted:

I’ve never even tried a non-dairy milk, is this yet another hot new trend my aging brain has missed the boat on

There are these people called vegans who don't consume animal products, including milk. So non-dairy milk is useful for them.

Also lactose intolerant people

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

serious gaylord posted:

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1444903224021078017

Its okay everyone they're 'concerned' about it and its nothing to do with the whatsapp group with Couzens being looked into where they were clearly talking about doing more rapes. Purely co-incidence that its another officer in his unit.

Don’t worry, lessons will be learnt.

TACD posted:

If you take coffee with milk Oatly barista is seriously good. better than cows’ milk.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Oat milk is the best because it imparts a strange feel of mealiness to fancy drinks like a mocha. Makes it feel more nutritious somehow, also it doesn’t taste like sour arse as Soy milk does.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

TACD posted:

As discussed, both almond and oat milk go back hundreds of not thousands of years, but yes they've grown in popularity in recent years/decades

They're good, drink the milks

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have a carton of goat milk in the fridge, it's nice, like liquid cheese.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
The real crazy thing imo is the story of Rügenwalder Mühle. It used to be a boring meat company with unusually catchy ads for their sausages. They cultivated this folksy image of happy village people having a picnic with their sausages, very traditional, conservative.

They saw veggie sausages gaining in popularity and went all-in. Now they produce more vegetarian and vegan stuff than meat products. And all that in Germany of all places.

Also, oat milk tastes nicer than cow milk and doesn't make me feel sick. Yay oats.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Oat milk is better than cow milk.

That's my hot take.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Regarde Aduck posted:

eh, i'm only as hosed as a lot of other people. Long term issues combined with living in a country that's deadset on getting even harsher and all that. It was one half hyperbole and one half gallows humour that I probably need to reign in. Things are rough but there's many more people with it worse than I have and there's more of them every day.

This goes for everyone here, but just because other people might have it worse, doesn't mean you shouldn't ask for help if you need it. The fund is pretty healthy atm so even if it's just a little thing you could use some help with, that's what the fund is for.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

There are these people called vegans who don't consume animal products, including milk. So non-dairy milk is useful for them.

Of course, they’re far too important to tolerate lactose

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I was just wondering does anyone know any homeless shelter for transwomen? I have several pairs (some new) of UK size 10 (Eu size 43/44) shoes to give away. I tried gumtree and facebook to no avail. I thought maybe I could send them to a homeless shelter and transwomen are more likely to have my size feet. Alternatively, if this is a seriously bad idea, please say!

Hey didn't want this to pass with no response. I'm afraid I don't but I think it's a really kind thing to do. If all else fails maybe contact Mermaids and ask them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

forkboy84 posted:

Oh aye I hope I didn’t come off as having a go, I just didn’t realise non-dairy milks were so popular in this thread.

Having looked it up just now apparently the answer to whether oat milk is gluten-free is “maybe? idk lol 🤷🏻“, guhh