Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Boogalo posted:

Point coloration cats change with the skin temperature and kittens run warm because kitten energy. The difference in my house between winter and summer means Butters stripes and spots become more prominent through the cold and then vanish in the summer,

Like the cat version of those cups that change color and patterns depending on if you put hot or cold liquid in them :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Aha! So essentially, Mini has some DSH/Tabby genetics along with some Seal Point genetics? Makes enough sense to me, when I google "lynx point Siamese" it pretty much returns a bunch of pictures of cats who look like they could be Mini-Scratcher's siblings. We'd been thinking he had some Siamese in him anyway, just because of the strikingly blue eyes and his rather wedge-shaped head.

That's probably the best picture of him I've managed to take in a while, captures something of his personality :3: He's a really wonderful cat... Even though my roommate was the one who officially adopted him, he's sort of become my cat. Given that I'm the only one he allows to pet or touch him, the only one whose bed he sleeps on, etc. Mostly that just happened because he immediately attached himself to my cat Jackie at the hip, and Jackie in turn was already attached to me at the hip whenever I was home, so things worked out that way.

It actually feels as if it would be cruel to separate them, though it'll happen eventually since Mini is barely at 18 months, while Jackie's 15 years old. When Jackie had to stay at the vet overnight a couple weeks ago, Mini just seemed totally lost and miserable - constantly meowing (which he doesn't do much of normally) and ceaselessly going from room to room trying to figure out where she was :( Their friendship started out as being quite one-sided and an annoyance to Jackie, but I think she really appreciates him quite a bit at this point. It's endlessly fun for me to watch these two bounce off one another, I must admit.

Good Username Here
Aug 20, 2012

~No devil on my shoulder!~
After a series of our kittens causing too much trouble in the kitchen we finally bought a ssscat and set it up to keep them out of there, but ever since we have they've avoided the entire downstairs section of the house. Has anyone else had similar experiences with this? Should they adjust to it over time and start feeling comfortable coming down here again or should we think of other ways to keep them out of the pantry and off the counters?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

This is Summer Butters.

and this is Winter.

Its close and different cameras so different colors so just take my word for it :sun:

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
I love living with enough cats that your average person would look at our bed on any given day (or couch on any given night) and go "wait, what?" Bedroom? Perdy peeking out under the bed; Fartie on the floor somewhere; Chino, Prinny, Boots, and Bootsy on the bed. Couch? Same thing, minus Perdy and Fartie's on one of the back cushions, sometimes Bootsy is enjoying the quiet back in the room.

Anyone who doesn't have cats is missing out :kimchi:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Hello friends

I have a new kitten. I took her home on Thursday evening. She is very, very nervous. She was rescued by a lady who rescues cats in her retirement. Kitty was found in a filthy home and had fleas, ear mites and worms. That's all behind her after a couple of months living with rescue lady. With rescue lady, she lived in a large cage.

I have given her the run of my living room and kitchen . She is mostly hiding behind the sofa in the living room. She is thankfully using her litter trays and eating well. I know she's exploring at night: I can hear the occasional rumble and there are paw prints over the kitchen worktops and so on. She isn't cowering or anything when behind the sofa: when I talk to her in there she looks at me and meows back. She's just really scared of everything atm and unsure. The most adventurous she has been was when she came out to eat some food and use her litter tray with me standing nearby and talking to her. I put something in the microwave though and the sound of the machine freaked her out: she leapt in the air and retreated back to behind the sofa :(

I'm just letting her do her own thing but I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with very nervous kittens and knows anything else I could be doing

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

crispix posted:

Hello friends

I have a new kitten. I took her home on Thursday evening. She is very, very nervous. She was rescued by a lady who rescues cats in her retirement. Kitty was found in a filthy home and had fleas, ear mites and worms. That's all behind her after a couple of months living with rescue lady. With rescue lady, she lived in a large cage.

I have given her the run of my living room and kitchen . She is mostly hiding behind the sofa in the living room. She is thankfully using her litter trays and eating well. I know she's exploring at night: I can hear the occasional rumble and there are paw prints over the kitchen worktops and so on. She isn't cowering or anything when behind the sofa: when I talk to her in there she looks at me and meows back. She's just really scared of everything atm and unsure. The most adventurous she has been was when she came out to eat some food and use her litter tray with me standing nearby and talking to her. I put something in the microwave though and the sound of the machine freaked her out: she leapt in the air and retreated back to behind the sofa :(

I'm just letting her do her own thing but I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with very nervous kittens and knows anything else I could be doing

Your kitten is in perfect working order. She'll need some time to figure out that all the scary new stuff is not a danger to her

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, it sounds like she's doing just fine. It's good to get her acclimated to your presence by just hanging out quietly (not trying to interact with the kitten if she doesn't approach you), but if she's eating, using the litterbox, and exploring, she's making good progress.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
Very normal, ours was the same way except confined to the bathroom before we introduced her to our resident cat. Give it a couple of days and let her get used to her new home and your presence.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

My cat was the same way. It took her about two weeks to really start to come out and explore with us around. I’ve had her about two months now and I can’t believe she ever didn’t live her. I was worried she wouldn’t settle in but now it’s like she owns the place.

Just try to be around and peaceful in the same space as her. Do your normal activities, talk, keep things calm. Don’t make it a big deal when she does come out. Just more or less ignore her and let her come to terms with her new situation on her own terms.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Just wanted to catch you guys up since I've been posting photos mostly in the yospos cat thread and the Black Cat thread. Quill is now 13 weeks old, has been with us for 5 weeks. She's on track for weight, she's really happy and loves exploring around the apartment. Everything is going really well.

Thanks as always for all the help you guys gave me before.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Chaosfeather posted:

Muffin Update:

I know it's been a while, thread. I wanted to give you a Muffin update, so I didn't leave you hanging.

We have a home (a fellow goon I won't name, so no pressure) who was generous enough to take Muffin for a trial run. We now have more understanding of his behavior and he either hates women or hates women who specifically look like my family members, including myself. Either way, the goon just took Muffin in and is starting the adjustment process and if all goes well and Muffin doesn't get hurt by their current cats nor vice versa, it may be a home for him.

Training never happened and the situation with Mom kept getting worse to the point Muffin would ambush her while she was sleeping to bite her in the neck. He has never shown this behavior towards anyone else (not even the sister who declawed him) and both men in the family have been able to play with him and pet him just fine. We'll see.

Fingats crossed. Thanks for the help and insight, thread. If it doesn't work out we'll begin looking for another option.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

I realized my cat’s collar has been chafing his neck. I took it off and he has scabs where the collar was. :( He’s indoor so I’m taking it off while the skin heals, but has anyone else experienced this? He’s a medium hair.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

my cat was an indoor/outdoor neighborhood rover for her first twelve years, and was cooped up in an apartment for the last four years.

she's almost seventeen and i finally got a place with a big yard; she can spend a couple hours in the back unattended and she loves it. been here since june. but once last night and twice tonight she's hucked herself up a 4x4 fence post like a lumberjack and went to go chill on the front patio. i used to be in a cul-de-sac but now near a busy road and she's old now so i don't want this. i have a regular-rear end suburban fence, what are my options here? i'm thinking some sort of horizontal flat plate i can screw to the top of the post but my roommate is the owner and concerned about aesthetics, any other ideas? i strongly prefer her having a place outside to chill, but she does get restless at night

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

i say swears online posted:

my cat was an indoor/outdoor neighborhood rover for her first twelve years, and was cooped up in an apartment for the last four years.

she's almost seventeen and i finally got a place with a big yard; she can spend a couple hours in the back unattended and she loves it. been here since june. but once last night and twice tonight she's hucked herself up a 4x4 fence post like a lumberjack and went to go chill on the front patio. i used to be in a cul-de-sac but now near a busy road and she's old now so i don't want this. i have a regular-rear end suburban fence, what are my options here? i'm thinking some sort of horizontal flat plate i can screw to the top of the post but my roommate is the owner and concerned about aesthetics, any other ideas? i strongly prefer her having a place outside to chill, but she does get restless at night

If she's climbing up the post, maybe you could make it unusable on the inside with metal plates or something. That wouldn't be visible from outside if I'm picturing the fence correctly.

Other than that, stopping cats from going over fences is a hard problem, the classic solution is a tall catnet, but that's not exactly aesthetic.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
I've tried everything but covering the entire backyard in netting (because ew) and we've come to the conclusion that especially Katya can only have supervised outside time. It just be like sometimes.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Harold was sitting Very Strangely in my pile of laundry and I thought maybe he was being an rear end in a top hat and pissing in it since I just changed his litter (and washed out the litterbox for good measure cause it was a little gross). I picked him up (gently like I usually do) by the front legs and he sat bone still and refused to hop up into my hands like usual, then when I sat him down he hissed. He's been slowly hissing and yowling while prowling around since, and when I (again gently) tried to feel his underside to see if something was wrong down there after petting him a little (he was very receptive to pets and scritches like always but also was hissing gently and continuing low yowls) he got Very Angry and walked off. He didn't eat much yesterday but did a bit today, and he doesn't seem to be in pain other than getting angry when I brushed his primordial pouch. He got outside a few days ago for a few hours but has been normal since coming back in. Just him smelling a guy cat outside or being Very Angry Food From New Bag And Litter Different, just give him a bit to chill out and feel safe again? Or is he trying to tell me something else? :ohdear:

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I would take cat to vet, that doesn't like normal cat shenanigans that sounds like being in pain.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Ok, I'll swing it as soon as I can, thank you.

update: he took a very fat poo poo and seems less irritated now but i'm still gonna look for a vet unless i see him drink :eng99:

Kitfox88 fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Oct 4, 2021

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Took him to the emergency vet and it was a blockage. Out 1500 bucks but they’re overnight staying him, pushing the blockage into his bladder then draining it out via catheter. Tomorrow morning he gets transferred to our normal vet for another day or two of observation and stuff to help the inflammation go down. Time to swap to different food and maybe find a fountain so he drinks more :sigh:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
My cat has now decided that it knows best and herds me to bed when its past my bed time and wakes me up when I try to sleep in. :morning:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

My cat has now decided that it knows best and herds me to bed when its past my bed time and wakes me up when I try to sleep in. :morning:

:kimchi:

Procedure went well and apparently by midnight Harold was awake and yelling for scritches so phew.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Good luck, Harold!!

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah, he's acting like his normal self again according to the overnight emergency place and his normal vet, namely yelling at every person who passes by for pets and scritches because he's an absolutely spoiled little gently caress, thank goodness. We'll get him back sometime Thursday morning presuming nothing else happens, and we're switching from free feeding dry food to twice a day wet food and probably getting an active fountain of some sort to encourage him to drink. He's pretty picky and not very food motivated, are there any suggestions for wet food that a cat who's prefered Friskies seafood sensations food for the past year might like? And suggestions for a decently easy to maintain fountain as well, hopefully. :sweatdrop:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Kitfox88 posted:

Yeah, he's acting like his normal self again according to the overnight emergency place and his normal vet, namely yelling at every person who passes by for pets and scritches because he's an absolutely spoiled little gently caress, thank goodness. We'll get him back sometime Thursday morning presuming nothing else happens, and we're switching from free feeding dry food to twice a day wet food and probably getting an active fountain of some sort to encourage him to drink. He's pretty picky and not very food motivated, are there any suggestions for wet food that a cat who's prefered Friskies seafood sensations food for the past year might like? And suggestions for a decently easy to maintain fountain as well, hopefully. :sweatdrop:

Wet food: whatever royal canin the vet recommends

Fountain: I asked about this a few pages back and the petkit eversweet 3 was highly recommended. It's available on US amazon but here in Canada I couldn't find anywhere to buy it that didn't have a 3 week lead time so I went for the eversweet 2 which looks quite good also.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Kitfox88 posted:

Don't be too weirded out if he ends up actually drinking less water overall after you switch him to a wet food diet. That tends to happen a lot, frankly - when I was feeding my cat wet food exclusively, she drank noticeably less water overall but apparently this was totally fine and healthy and normal according to just about everyone I've asked.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

We did it. The 8 Week nightmare is over. We’re ringworm free!

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Unfortunately your cat seems to have some other parasitic cat attached to it, you might wanna get that checked out.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Thanks for all the advice, kind friends.

Kitten will have been with me for a week tomorrow evening. She is starting to come around. She is pretty confident in the living room and kitchen which are her current turf. I have let her explore upstairs into my bedroom with the other rooms closed off, but it seems like it is a little much for her to take in just yet. She is eating treats from my hand and gradually becoming more confident - last night she lay right beside me and rolled on her back, purring and kind of wanting to play. I am pretty hopeful she will in time overcome her nerves and make the whole place her own.

This Tilly

The place has become filled with toys and boxes since this was taken

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

crispix posted:

I am pretty hopeful she will in time overcome her nerves and make the whole place her own.
She absolutely will. Precious wee pear :3:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Holy moly :kimchi:

Harold’s catheter comes out tonight and we’ll be likely getting him back tomorrow. Really hoping the changes to his diet take because we cannot afford this again.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
My cat is way more energetic than I'm used to, she seems to want to be petted all day! Almost all cats I've had are like, "Okay, I've had my fill, you may leave now." but when I try to leave she meows and is like, "No! Don't go! I need more pats!"

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Thanks thread - picked up the petkit eversweet 2 (actually 2S, 2nd gen or something, it's slightly different?) and after a very confusing few minutes for Quill of figuring out what the gently caress is this wet thing in the living room, she's been drinking more water than I've ever seen. Like, literally will sit there and just drink water for 20 seconds straight. It's such a relief to see it!

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Do cats and people share any common allergies/irritants? Theres something in the bedroom of my grandparents house that is setting off my asthma, and makes my cat sneeze a lot. We are tearing up the carpet ASAP.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Gaj posted:

Do cats and people share any common allergies/irritants? Theres something in the bedroom of my grandparents house that is setting off my asthma, and makes my cat sneeze a lot. We are tearing up the carpet ASAP.

Maybe it's just dusty, that should irritate any nose

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Gaj posted:

Cats can have the same allergies of humans and then some - the essential oils we like can make them sick etc.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Anyone got any recs on a good vacuum, possibly a cordless one? We have a Shark vac that scoops up cat hair decently and is light but it clogs up quickly and I'm looking for a new one that can handle some cat hair. Dysons are overrated and not worth the cost, right? Asking here because I imagine we all share a common enemy in the form of loose cat hairs on the floor.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

It's not cordless, but I have a Miele Cat+Dog that does a very good job of getting up all the cat hair. I find it a lil noisy, but it's worth the effectiveness.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Also not cordless, but I bought a Bissell vacuum for $155, and it seems to work great. They specifically market most of their vacuums for pet hair + allergens.

I also have a little cordless handheld dustbuster (Uplift brand) for quick cleaning, and, assuming you have hard floors and not carpet, an iRobot robotic mop (Braava jet 240) that does a good job collecting cat hair on its dry mop setting.

On cordless upright vacuums, my parents had a cordless vacuum for quite a while and they finally gave up and got a corded one, as it was just too much of a pain - underpowered and ran out of juice quickly. It's possible the technology has gotten better since they bought theirs, but still, I'd rather have a cord than deal with that.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Also not cordless, but I bought a Bissell vacuum for $155, and it seems to work great. They specifically market most of their vacuums for pet hair + allergens.

I also have a little cordless handheld dustbuster (Uplift brand) for quick cleaning, and, assuming you have hard floors and not carpet, an iRobot robotic mop (Braava jet 240) that does a good job collecting cat hair on its dry mop setting.

On cordless upright vacuums, my parents had a cordless vacuum for quite a while and they finally gave up and got a corded one, as it was just too much of a pain - underpowered and ran out of juice quickly. It's possible the technology has gotten better since they bought theirs, but still, I'd rather have a cord than deal with that.

Sadly I do have carpet so that's not really an option. I think the cordless vacuums are still sorta the same deal so it's probably best if I do just check out whatever the best bissell is on Amazon and go with that one