Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008
Okay, having looked further into it the Sun and Moon aren't counted as "hoshi", so I'm wrong - I doubt the translators would have made that confusion. Sorry for the derail.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

That's...

"I'm not saying it's a mistranslation I'm just saying they translated it incorrectly in the first place and it stuck"

To be clear, I was responding to someone saying that I was equating stylistic choice with mistranslation. I have no problem with translators taking liberties to make things sound better in English, I just didn't think that was what was happening in this case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Cleretic posted:

I think it still has that scene work just as well, it just moves the punch to a different spot. Instead of 'let expanse contract' bringing on one of the first times you explicitly aren't alone, it provides a light out of one of the few times you explicitly are alone. Resoundingly alone, too; you're several leagues underwater, in a city that doesn't exist, and all your friends just got chumped.
I don't know about alone.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I feel like the argument of "you're always alone except that one case" kind of loses something when you're talking about stuff like the Pratorium or whatnot where the other characters are explicitly there for the cutscenes and such. Like there isn't really anything saying you are alone. It mostly feels like it's trying to push the idea that the WoL is so strong they beat everything by themselves and then people get frustrated when the WoL needs help tow in fights explicitly.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Cleretic posted:

I think it still has that scene work just as well, it just moves the punch to a different spot. Instead of 'let expanse contract' bringing on one of the first times you explicitly aren't alone, it provides a light out of one of the few times you explicitly are alone. Resoundingly alone, too; you're several leagues underwater, in a city that doesn't exist, and all your friends just got chumped.

My headcanon regarding how the WoL handles Dungeons, Raids, and Trials:

A Realm Reborn: The WoL brings along unnamed Scions, other adventurers, mercenaries, etc. to serve as support. Explicitly called out before the last sequence of raids when they refer to your character leading a "strike force" I think it was.
Heavensward & Stormblood: As the WoL grows in power and skill, the number of unnamed NPCs that are strong enough to stand side-by-side with grows fewer and fewer. The "You're going to wish you had seven of your best friends for this" quip before Susano is a lampshade-hanging joke about it.
Shadowbringers: The various Scions accompany the WoL, i.e. the Trust system. With their souls and destinies so closely intertwined with that of the WoL, they are now the only ones capable of fighting alongside them.
Hades fight: Emet-Selch one-shots the other Scions, Graha Tia makes the Duty Finder canon and queues you up to bring in other WoLs from alternate realities and parallel dimensions.

I know that canonically the WoL does most of these (except Hades and I guess SoS?) by themselves, but this just feels better, even if it isn't really supported by anything.

VVV Edit: I read someone saying that the WoL supposedly does most of it by themselves, I guess that's not the case? I beelined the MSQ and haven't done any Savage / Extreme content, so tend to assume I'm out of the loop on a lot of stuff. VVV

Beef Hardcheese fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 3, 2021

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

You got it backwards, the description of the Susano fight explicitly mentions how lucky it is that you do have adventuring companions with you.

quote:

Your efforts to wreak havoc on the Isle of Zekki and draw the Red Kojin away from their imperial masters have exceeded all expectations. Unfortunately, for reasons beyond your knowing, two of the sacred treasures stored in the isle's vault "reacted" to the presence of the Yasakani-no-Magatama, summoning forth from the aether the great kami Susano—a primal by another name. How fortunate that you had the wisdom and foresight to invite several of your fellow adventurers on this journey to the Far East, and how kind they were to agree to help you torment the Red Kojin, for no single warrior, no matter how blessed or powerful, could ever hope to slay a primal on their own, despite what some wandering minstrels would have you believe.

So the extreme/savage fights are fan fiction about the WoL beating these foes single-handedly, but they usually have help :v:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Primals make it tricky since you do need the Echo and stuff and if there were other rear end-kicking adventurers with the Echo they would presumably have had a presence in the plot, even if only to note that they got murdered on the shitter by Ascians.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Nessus posted:

Primals make it tricky since you do need the Echo and stuff and if there were other rear end-kicking adventurers with the Echo they would presumably have had a presence in the plot, even if only to note that they got murdered on the shitter by Ascians.

The WoL just takes echo-less adventurers and personally executes any of them that get hit by a tempering blast, duh.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

SirSamVimes posted:

The WoL just takes echo-less adventurers and personally executes any of them that get hit by a tempering blast, duh.
I dunno, it just doesn't hold up to me. Now if we could work in judging them on their economic philosophies, or possibly informing them that we are literally killing their literal god even though that elf dude's Powerpoint says we aren't, THEN we might have something.

Or maybe Elidibus appears to explain to us how the Scions are really the same thing as the Ascians, ultimately, and how his goal is to destroy aether itself? That might get some numbers.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nessus posted:

You don't necessarily need the Echo to be an rear end-kicking adventurer or even to fight a primal. The problem with fighting a primal is a risk of being tempered which can be mitigated in various ways. (As seen in the Lakshmi fight.) We're told that there are survivors from previous non-WoL primal battles because one of the horrible things is that they end up having to kill the tempered allies afterwards.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Begemot posted:

You got it backwards, the description of the Susano fight explicitly mentions how lucky it is that you do have adventuring companions with you.

So the extreme/savage fights are fan fiction about the WoL beating these foes single-handedly, but they usually have help :v:

Yeah, and this part, as well as a lot of other descriptions that say the same thing, are an invention of the English translation.

Japanese-language WoL has no fishing buddies.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The Scions are founded by a group that was made up of echo users. A bunch were killed by Livia, but the rest were out and about working elsewhere.

It's easy to handwave you just picking up some random scion or other adventurer that you know that has the echo. They're just not the hip Sharlayans that run the story.

And when you're not in Eorzea, you make friends, kinda like something someone was known for. It's not like fight is canonically killed by 1/4/8/24 people.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Nessus posted:

Pretty sure canonically you can protect other people with your Echo somewhat, since that's what happens with Lakshmi fight?
(Though maybe that's Arenvald's special ability?)

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
We do it in Bozja as well after the Castrum.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I just finished 5.3, and the thing that i found weird was G'Raha's "death". It seems like it's meant to be this sad moment that he's dying, but it's undermined by there being a previous scene where they say the plan is to take his soul back to the Source and put it in the young G'Raha's body anyway. I was sitting there wondering why they wrote a sad version of Eternal Wind for the scene when it wasn't particularly sad for that reason, it was literally the plan that after the fight he would put his soul in the crystal and leave his body behind anyway. I think it would have been better if they either didn't bring up the possibility of taking him back to the source, or dismissed it as too risky/him having too many responsibilities in the First after being there 100 years. Then when he's dying and says he wants you to take him with you on his next adventure it's more open ended on if that means as a bottle of memories, and makes it sadder. Then when the Scions wake up on the Source Urianger could give some cryptic hint at what the plan is, and the player would all but know they are going to revive him but there's still tension of if that is what is actually going to happen as it cuts to the Crystal Tower entrance.

The only argument against doing it that way that i can think of is that it could be seen as emotionally manipulative, but the game has no problem doing that with all the fake death scenes.

I don't know how to feel about the patch story. Elidibus felt like a pointless retread after Emet, and his plan seemed pretty contrived so wasn't as engaging compared to Emet's that was pretty easy to understand. It reused the moment of summoning your party from 5.0 as well. On the plus side the actual boss fight was WAY better than Hades, and the Azem/Emet reveals were great. The cutscenes were well directed, especially the ending one. It just feels like the structure of having to write two endings to the story for the .0 and .3 patch hinders the story telling. I'm glad that they aren't doing that for Endwalker.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

CJ posted:

I just finished 5.3, and the thing that i found weird was G'Raha's "death". It seems like it's meant to be this sad moment that he's dying, but it's undermined by there being a previous scene where they say the plan is to take his soul back to the Source and put it in the young G'Raha's body anyway. I was sitting there wondering why they wrote a sad version of Eternal Wind for the scene when it wasn't particularly sad for that reason, it was literally the plan that after the fight he would put his soul in the crystal and leave his body behind anyway. I think it would have been better if they either didn't bring up the possibility of taking him back to the source, or dismissed it as too risky/him having too many responsibilities in the First after being there 100 years. Then when he's dying and says he wants you to take him with you on his next adventure it's more open ended on if that means as a bottle of memories, and makes it sadder. Then when the Scions wake up on the Source Urianger could give some cryptic hint at what the plan is, and the player would all but know they are going to revive him but there's still tension of if that is what is actually going to happen as it cuts to the Crystal Tower entrance.

This gets into a whole philosophy of self thing, but Exarch G'Raha isn't the same as Sleeper G'Raha. Exarch was dying from relying on the Tower for so long and was looking for a suitably dramatic way to go out. First it was by being the "villan" to dispose of the excess light, then by sacrificing his soul to pass his memories onto the Sleeper, and finally by his actions against Elidibus which coincidentally let the memory-swapping thing still happen. It was cheesy and dramatic and everything he hoped it would be, but it was still a sacrifice and a person's death.

Sleeper G'Raha back on the source has all of the Exarch's memories, but isn't the same person.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I think they kinda messed up by focusing the sadness of the Exarch's 'death' on the Exarch. He's getting to go on to live the life he's wanted to for centuries, he's fine. But the Crystarium? They just lost the only leader they know, and a beloved one at that. Let them have a state funeral or something, give some spotlight to what they do without him.

I think Elidibus was a better ending than Emet for Shadowbringers, because he just links up the expansion's major themes a lot better. The main reason I actually don't like Fake Amaurot as an ending to Shadowbringers is because it just sort of drops all the core aesthetic and thematic elements of Shadowbringers' main story, as well as a huge chunk of the more secondary plot threads, to instead go off and do its own thing. Not by itself a bad story even if I'm not a fan, but it feels like lopping off the ending of Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne and taping the end of Final Fantasy X to it; nothing wrong with either, but they don't follow into each other.

Elidibus actually does pick up on everything that Fake Amaurot drops, and brings that to a largely satisfying conclusion (or at the very least, the parts that falter aren't his fault). Combine that with the Eden storyline picking up some secondary plot threads that I was personally quite interested in, and Shadowbringers has a very satisfying ending... that just happens to not be the original ending it shipped with.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Bruceski posted:

This gets into a whole philosophy of self thing, but Exarch G'Raha isn't the same as Sleeper G'Raha. Exarch was dying from relying on the Tower for so long and was looking for a suitably dramatic way to go out. First it was by being the "villan" to dispose of the excess light, then by sacrificing his soul to pass his memories onto the Sleeper, and finally by his actions against Elidibus which coincidentally let the memory-swapping thing still happen. It was cheesy and dramatic and everything he hoped it would be, but it was still a sacrifice and a person's death.

Sleeper G'Raha back on the source has all of the Exarch's memories, but isn't the same person.

Wasn't the crystal made to explicitly transfer the soul? I think the current G'Raha is no longer Sleeping or Exarch, but a merged soul of both.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Cleretic posted:

I think they kinda messed up by focusing the sadness of the Exarch's 'death' on the Exarch. He's getting to go on to live the life he's wanted to for centuries, he's fine. But the Crystarium? They just lost the only leader they know, and a beloved one at that. Let them have a state funeral or something, give some spotlight to what they do without him.

They do give this aspect plenty of focus. Lyna gets a whole goodbye scene with him and everything, and it's addressed in the final huge farewell with the whole Crystarium.

Kazy posted:

Wasn't the crystal made to explicitly transfer the soul? I think the current G'Raha is no longer Sleeping or Exarch, but a merged soul of both.

For the Scions yes as they are just Souls in the first place. The Exarch explicitly did NOT transfer his soul, only his memories.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Regy Rusty posted:

For the Scions yes as they are just Souls in the first place. The Exarch explicitly did NOT transfer his soul, only his memories.

When does it say that? I thought one of the worries they had that the soul wouldn't take, and that Sleeper G'raha would reject it or something. It's been a few months since I last watched the cutscenes so I could be wrong.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

It’s also, iirc, brought up a couple times that g’raha’s soul transfer shenanigans might not work in his case in particular because the body he’s transferring into already has a soul in it, so there’s a bit of ambiguity on whether it was a temporary inconvenience or something more permanent.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I think the Exarch Crystal you use to wake up Source G'raha is more of a collection of imprints rather than full on memories.

You basically made a "Graha Tia" job crystal and had Source Graha equip it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Kazy posted:

When does it say that? I thought one of the worries they had that the soul wouldn't take, and that Sleeper G'raha would reject it or something. It's been a few months since I last watched the cutscenes so I could be wrong.

The Exarch transferring his soul was never even an idea. You can't be alive without a soul, they couldn't just pluck it out of his body and put it in the crystal, he was still walking around!

Everything you're thinking about is referring to his memories and not knowing if they could add them on to the other G'raha successfully.

the_steve posted:

I think the Exarch Crystal you use to wake up Source G'raha is more of a collection of imprints rather than full on memories.

You basically made a "Graha Tia" job crystal and had Source Graha equip it.

No, they're definitely full on memories. But since they all take place after G'raha goes to sleep in the tower they ended up successfully adding on seamlessly. They just weren't sure that would actually work until they tried it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cleretic posted:

I think Elidibus was a better ending than Emet for Shadowbringers, because he just links up the expansion's major themes a lot better. The main reason I actually don't like Fake Amaurot as an ending to Shadowbringers is because it just sort of drops all the core aesthetic and thematic elements of Shadowbringers' main story, as well as a huge chunk of the more secondary plot threads, to instead go off and do its own thing. Not by itself a bad story even if I'm not a fan, but it feels like lopping off the ending of Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne and taping the end of Final Fantasy X to it; nothing wrong with either, but they don't follow into each other.

Elidibus actually does pick up on everything that Fake Amaurot drops, and brings that to a largely satisfying conclusion (or at the very least, the parts that falter aren't his fault). Combine that with the Eden storyline picking up some secondary plot threads that I was personally quite interested in, and Shadowbringers has a very satisfying ending... that just happens to not be the original ending it shipped with.

This is not remotely true.

Emet Selch is Ardbert taken to his logical extreme. Someone who desperately wanted to save his world and the people he loved who fell further and further and sacrificed everything. He was literally the last of his people not counting the strange broken primal that was Elidibus. That parallel is absolutely critical to the themes of Shadowbringers which are built around the loss and pain that come from seeing your world ruined and how you respond to it. All the major NPCs are built around that specific concept. Graha and his ruined future. Ran'jit and Thancred both battling over how to deal with the loss of Minfilia. Alisae seeing a good person dying and responding not by giving up but by devoting herself to solving an unsolvable problem. The entire Eulmore plot where they gave up entirely and fell into decadence.

Emet Selch is the only one who makes sense as the villain of this story because he is the extreme endpoint of all of that. Someone who has seen every failure, committed every sin, desperately struggled in every way to be the hero his people needed, and it had left him all but destroyed as a person. That is why Ardbert standing up there is the big epic moment of the scene. Ardbert who almost went down the same path finally pulls himself up and gives his all to stand against the unchecked endpoint of his character arc.

Elidibus is a broken shattered child (literal or otherwise) who desperately clings to the idea of heroism without understanding the truth behind heroism. He makes sense for the plot that the post-story adventure goes on but not remotely for the main story quest.

This is another case of you basically desperate to hate Emet Selch and everything about him.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Elidibus isn't even actually a true "villain" by the end because he's revealed to just be a shadow of his original self playing at being a mastermind. There really were only two "true" Unsundered which is why Emet knew that once he was dead, Elidibus wouldn't even be capable of seeing out the rejoining. Even if he'd managed to kill you, he'd just end up wandering and suffering forever. Thus why Emet left behind the crystal - if you could kill him it was over for all of them so he left you a tool to put poor Elidibus out of his misery.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Bruceski posted:

I get what you're saying but when he uses magic to put his memories and soul in a crystal and transfer it to his younger body i think that's as good as being the same person. The original G'Raha doesn't even have any new memories to dilute his personality because he's been in stasis, future G'raha is a superset of the original.

I guess he's missing the last few seconds before he turns to crystal but it's not like Nier Automata or Soma where that was the point of the story.

Regy Rusty posted:

I might be misremembering, but didn't they say in i think a quest at the beginning of 5.4 that they did put his soul in the body? They make a comment about his soul being denser now from combining the two.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

It’s also, iirc, brought up a couple times that g’raha’s soul transfer shenanigans might not work in his case in particular because the body he’s transferring into already has a soul in it, so there’s a bit of ambiguity on whether it was a temporary inconvenience or something more permanent.

I was going to mention this but forgot. The way it was written, there was no ambiguity it would work. The player knows that it won't fail because the writers would be insane to write such a downer ending.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Also the themes behind how Hades is defeated are far more in line with how the story plays out, which is full of themes of unity and cooperation. Emet Selch's most crippling flaw is that he is incapable of working with others because he can't view them as real people. He wants to, desperately, but he can't. He is alone and surrounded only by the ghosts and memories of those he loved and he is never able to move past that. Meanwhile the WoL's great success in the MSQ is that they do exactly that. They form relationships with people and help them move past despair and into the future. They are not as strong as an Ascian but what they are is capable of uniting with others. The story makes this explicitly clear both with the Giant Robot Made Of Friendship and with the Hades cutscenes explicitly revolving around the people who the WoL inspired working together to defeat him up to and including literally calling other heroes from beyond space and time.

Elidibus is the exact opposite of that. He uses people, he creates more heroes, he summons allies, he is not afraid to call for help, but the critical flaw there is that he is just an empty broken man and his idea of heroism is making pawns to be destroyed because it's all he has done. He is not the logical endpoint of the Shadowbringers MSQ because he isn't a counterpart to the heroes in that way.

CJ posted:

I was going to mention this but forgot. The way it was written, there was no ambiguity it would work. The player knows that it won't fail because the writers would be insane to write such a downer ending.

This is absolutely retroactive justification because prior to that coming out people were absolutely fearing Graha dying for real and I know quite a few people here and elsewhere who weren't confident that it succeeded until they saw Graha on the Source.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

ImpAtom posted:

This is absolutely retroactive justification because prior to that coming out people were absolutely fearing Graha dying for real and I know quite a few people here and elsewhere who weren't confident that it succeeded until they saw Graha on the Source.

What do you mean by "prior to that coming out"? The scene where they say they can take him back to the Source is in 5.3 so if you mean before 5.3 came out that was understandable. When i was playing through 5.1 and 5.2 and he was acting like he was dying i thought he was going to die too, but then they set up that he can use the soul crystals as well. After they set that up, then he transfers his soul into the crystal moments before his body dies, i don't know how you could possibly think they would then have made the ending that it doesn't work. It would be such a flat ending after all the setup.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I'm a bit sad the Exarch and Lyna didn't get more father/daughtery stuff though I guess there's no need to be explicit with it when they stop short of just using those words.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

ImpAtom posted:

This is not remotely true.

Perhaps I mis-emphasised where my issues are.

I turned up to Shadowbringers to throw down with some angels and see a good, unorthodox apocalypse. A very Megaten-style pitch, I'm on board with it. And nine levels of the 5.0 MSQ were on the same page as me! Unfortunately, the tenth decided that it should end with Megahitler trying to sell me on Art Deco as an architectural style and then telling me the single most cliche apocalypse story he could. Which sucked for someone like me, who was really hankering to elbow-drop some more seraphim.

5.3 and Eden meet me where the Tempest left me hanging. I wanted to see a Lightpocalypse, they gave it to me.

In fact, that point makes Shadowbringers stand kinda weird in comparison to FFXIV's other expansions, because it's the only one that doesn't remotely end where the initial pitch starts it.
ARR? The Empire was a tangible figure, so of course you end by smashing their poo poo. The fact 'their poo poo' is eating psuedo-gods is sorta just ancillary.
HW? Church vs. Dragons, super easy! I wouldn't have expected the venue for the final battle, but we all know that if you introduce a fantasy Pope, you fight them at the end, and possibly their god too.
SB? Pure 'resistance against empire' story, again, of course you end by smashing their poo poo and freeing the nation(s). The god-dragon ending is weird, but it still works.
ShB? Lightpocalypse, hell yeah, and we end with... fighting Hades, in Atlantis? How is this the one that doesn't end in fighting some big-deal 'holy light' god?

Ultimately, Fake Amaurot just disappointed my very singular expectation for where the story was going. And it was by no means a weird expectation, given the leadup.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
What if they had the Warrior of Light as the final boss of 5.0, then saved the Amourat stuff for the patches?

I liked the ending of 5.0 but i can understand the viewpoint that it kind of makes all the light stuff kind of irrelevant with all the revelations and change in direction.

It would also make Emet-Selch the final final boss so you don't have the situation where Elidibus feels like a bit of a step down coming after.

The downside is i really like 5.0 as it is now, it feels complete, and i don't know how satisfied i'd be in a world that separated all the Amourat stuff into its own thing in the patches.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Elidibus is supposed to be a step down. It's the whole point of the story! He's just an empty husk! Of course 5.0 had to end with fighting Emet, Shadowbringers is ALL ABOUT Emet and how his goals are ultimately incompatible with yours even if you can sympathize with him. Cleretic of course doesn't like that but that song and dance has been going on for two years now so

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

The Exarch transferring his soul was never even an idea. You can't be alive without a soul, they couldn't just pluck it out of his body and put it in the crystal, he was still walking around!

The Exarch infuses his soul vessel at the same time his body is dying and turns to crystal.
If you talk to G'raha back on The Source before starting the next patch MSQ he has dialogue about how the process worked for him, and that he now has the extra soul density from the Exarch having lived through the 8th rejoining in the other timeline and that the rest of his soul just attuned without any messy complications.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Gruckles posted:

The Exarch infuses his soul vessel at the same time his body is dying and turns to crystal.
If you talk to G'raha back on The Source before starting the next patch MSQ he has dialogue about how the process worked for him, and that he now has the extra soul density from the Exarch having lived through the 8th rejoining in the other timeline and that the rest of his soul just attuned without any messy complications.

Yep, just played through this again myself and G'raha does indeed say his soul, like the WoL, is denser. He transferred his soul as well as his memories.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Gruckles posted:

I actually never realized that's what he was doing at the end there. That totally makes sense and doesn't contradict how I thought souls worked, so cool!

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
The First's G'raha basically did to the Source G'raha what Ardbert did to the WoL. They're not dead, but you can't really say they're alive either.

Also I like to imagine that the WoL has always canonically had help for all the dungeons & trials. It feels way more thematically appropriate for how outgoing they are. It gives a good explanation for why Zenos kicked our rear end, too. That might just be me roleplaying though :v:

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Oct 4, 2021

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Pigbuster posted:

Also I like to imagine that the WoL has always canonically had help for all the dungeons & trials. It feels way more thematically appropriate for how outgoing they are. That might just be me roleplaying though :v:

Considering the WoL shares a soul with someone who had the amazing superpower of making friends all over the world to beat up problems together, it seems very appropriate.

And as a healer main, it feels really loving dumb to assume I'm soloing much of anything.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 4, 2021

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The most powerful force in Eorzea: friendship

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

And friendship is aether, the building blocks of reality.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Perhaps I mis-emphasised where my issues are.

I turned up to Shadowbringers to throw down with some angels and see a good, unorthodox apocalypse. A very Megaten-style pitch, I'm on board with it. And nine levels of the 5.0 MSQ were on the same page as me! Unfortunately, the tenth decided that it should end with Megahitler trying to sell me on Art Deco as an architectural style and then telling me the single most cliche apocalypse story he could. Which sucked for someone like me, who was really hankering to elbow-drop some more seraphim.

5.3 and Eden meet me where the Tempest left me hanging. I wanted to see a Lightpocalypse, they gave it to me.

In fact, that point makes Shadowbringers stand kinda weird in comparison to FFXIV's other expansions, because it's the only one that doesn't remotely end where the initial pitch starts it.
ARR? The Empire was a tangible figure, so of course you end by smashing their poo poo. The fact 'their poo poo' is eating psuedo-gods is sorta just ancillary.
HW? Church vs. Dragons, super easy! I wouldn't have expected the venue for the final battle, but we all know that if you introduce a fantasy Pope, you fight them at the end, and possibly their god too.
SB? Pure 'resistance against empire' story, again, of course you end by smashing their poo poo and freeing the nation(s). The god-dragon ending is weird, but it still works.
ShB? Lightpocalypse, hell yeah, and we end with... fighting Hades, in Atlantis? How is this the one that doesn't end in fighting some big-deal 'holy light' god?

Ultimately, Fake Amaurot just disappointed my very singular expectation for where the story was going. And it was by no means a weird expectation, given the leadup.

I mean it's pretty telling that for every single one of those you go "Well sure the thing we fight at the end isn't the same but that doesn't matter!!"

ARR's plot is about fighting Garleans but at the end of the day it is the Ascians who are the reat threat and the Ultima Weapon is just part of their plans.
HW's plot is about fighting Dragons but instead it goes towards the idea of false truths and ends with you fighting a physical embodiment of false religious narratives.
SB's plot is about how nations have their culture and identity destroyed by the invaders and oh look the final boss is literally the physical embodiment of Ala Mhigo's rage and despair being turned into a puppet by a Garlean.
ShB's plot is about surviving in a ruined and ravaged world and the cost of doing so and the final boss is the last survivor of a ruined world surrounded by the metaphorical spirits of those he lost.

It makes perfect sense and you complaining you didn't get a "lightpocalypse" ignores that you go into the world with the Lightpocalypse having already happened and you are trying to clean it up. It building up to a lightpocalypse doesn't make sense because you are already there. The Lightwardens are all the embodiment of that, until the protagonist becomes the physical embodiment of the lightpocalypse but is able to use the power that destroyed a world to instead save it which would not work if they were fighting a giant light monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Yep, just played through this again myself and G'raha does indeed say his soul, like the WoL, is denser. He transferred his soul as well as his memories.

yea even Elidibus calls that out when he goes for an attack on G'raha in front of us, I think he does explicitly even use the 'denser' language, or maybe just more general 'made of stronger stuff'.