Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I don’t care if you like Adventure of Link, but A Link to the Past is one of the greatest games of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

WC3 was a steaming turd of a game. I loved WC2 to bits and spent ages tracking down a copy of WC3 (this was after Origin Systems went out of business but before GOG) and I resent every second I spent on that search and then subsequently playing it.

Also you spend the entire game flying for people who want to deploy not one but two genocidal superweapons and who also, as if that wasn't bad enough, continue to let Maniac fly

I played 4 first and loved it. Then I played three and was really disappointed. Privateer 1 was the best though

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Never having been privy to owning an SNES I am forced to assume that all SNES games are bad

These grapes are great

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I like Wing Commander 1. 2 overcomplicated things with special missiles and stuff.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

HenryEx posted:

I've had this tab open for more than two years now, but i knew it would come in handy eventually

http://soimgoingtochina.blogspot.com/2007/06/beijing-traffic-lesson-left-turn.html

I have this saved as a screenshot somewhere.

I lost it at the determined old man, face like chiseled marble, and his 20-foot-diameter bag of old oil jugs.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

The best Wing Commander game is Freespace 2.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Beachcomber posted:

I like Wing Commander 1. 2 overcomplicated things with special missiles and stuff.

IMO, 2 had better writing and graphics, 1 had better gameplay (but they were both good); 3 makes a better matched drinks coaster set since it comes on four discs. I never played 4 or 5 after my experiences with 3, moving to Freespace instead.

Nothing else has really scratched the same itch as WC1/2 for me, though -- relatively small-scale dogfights with simple controls, but limited munitions and a sadistically detailed damage model. Everything else seemed to go for the WC3/FS model of huge swarms of enemies + huge racks of missiles, which can be fun but is a very different vibe.

rydiafan posted:

FS2 is fun on a bun but it's a very different style of game from WC1/2!

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I played 4 first and loved it. Then I played three and was really disappointed. Privateer 1 was the best though

Everyone seems to love Privateer and I just cannot figure out why. It's awful!
- incredibly lengthy grind to get new ships or upgrades
- every time you undock or jump between system you have a chance of getting jumped by 6+ pirate fighters and instantly blown up
- storyline missions aren't marked in any way and failing to complete one (or just failing to accept it when you have the chance) locks you out of the storyline permanently with no indication that this has happened
I see what they were going for, but I'd rather play Freelancer or EV: Nova and I didn't actually like either of those games.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I loved Privateer. I think the business of failing/ missing storyline missions was an interesting take. Harsh, but it felt more genuine.

As for the grind: the trick was to find a system with a refinery and an agricultural planet, and ship goods between them. I remember there's one system like that in Potter Quadrant that's like that, and also the bases are close enough together that there's no room for pirates to spawn in between. And if you get jumped after undocking, you could just land right away and try again.

But yeah, the gameplay there wasn't so much the grind as figuring out how to bypass it.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

rydiafan posted:

:thunk:

I liked Privateer and the goofy movie.

Freespace 2 should have a movie though, great plot for a vidya game.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah Powerline owned

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I had the film canister packaging for WC3, got it at SAMS.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Data Graham posted:

Yeah Powerline owned

Eye 2 Eye is a certified banger

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

OwlFancier posted:

I like also that apparently they have to put the weird central reservations in because just a normal road would obviously result in people randomly driving across lanes whenever they feel like it, rather than the current, orderly approach of most people driving in the oncoming lane.

This does actually happen. They put a roundabout in the town that I grew up in to ease traffic flow, and after about 4 months they had to put a big rock feature in the middle because people would just say "gently caress this" and drive right through the middle

Your Gay Uncle has a new favorite as of 07:01 on Oct 4, 2021

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
There was a roundabout that was just a patch of differently coloured bricks in the middle of a reasonably busy street I used to drive past to get to work. People ignored the gently caress out of it. I drove past it one Friday afternoon heading home, to see come council workers installing some concrete bollards, basically 1 meter cubes of concrete they bolted into place.

Drove past it Monday morning, all four bollards had scrapes and paint on them, and there was smashed plastic, glass and the dried up puddles of coolant all over the place.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
I only experienced Wing Commander: Prophecy which I loved to death. Seeing as how it cleverly avoided putting any numbers in the title I had no idea it was part of (or a spinoff from) a series. So I was able to enjoy it as a novel and awesome thing compared to the only two other space fighter simulators I knew at the time: Tie fighter and then Tie fighter vs X-wing.

It should be pointed out that the lessons learned in the star wars games do not carry over easily to the wing commander series and vice versa.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Data Graham posted:

Never having been privy to owning an SNES I am forced to assume that all SNES games are bad

These grapes are great

It was better than all non-portable consoles before it, and all in the following generation except the PS1. Go play Super Metroid and Chrono Trigger, Mr. Fox, you might enjoy it.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Why would I want sound when I can see he's irritating on mute?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mescal posted:

It was better than all non-portable consoles before it, and all in the following generation except the PS1. Go play Super Metroid and Chrono Trigger, Mr. Fox, you might enjoy it.

Pretty much the peak of spritework and games that were simple and user-friendly enough to be easy to pick up but had enough room to work with that there's not too many awkward control schemes and gameplay trying to work around hardware limitations. Though I'm pretty biased nostalgia wise.

What actually holds up is quite a crapshoot, though Super Mario World is definitely a biggie. And of course, Yoshi's Island.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Roundabouts rule because they have the centerline marker/section corner in the middle safe from cars while I do my survey

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

learnincurve posted:

I have another old but good similar format one - which as the owner of three crazy dogs is the funniest thing in existence to me.

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/11/dogs-dont-understand-basic-concepts.html

I have experienced "I made food! I'm MAGICAL!" after a car tip with a dog. In the backseat of a hatchback. Where I was. With the dog. And the magic happened right on my lap.

so that bit from the link got a hearty laugh from me.

e: "sad dog in snow" and "DOGS.AVI" were also quite good and funny pictures.

Zetsubou-san has a new favorite as of 09:42 on Oct 4, 2021

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

The Lone Badger posted:

So like... put spikes on the barriers? Strew some wreckage beside the road? Decorative grave markers?

Put SUV drivers on the spikes and we're talking.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Sound
https://i.imgur.com/VeZuak1.mp4

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Zetsubou-san posted:

I have experienced "I made food! I'm MAGICAL!" after a car tip with a dog. In the backseat of a hatchback. Where I was. With the dog. And the magic happened right on my lap.

so that bit from the link got a hearty laugh from me.

e: "sad dog in snow" and "DOGS.AVI" were also quite good and funny pictures.

This is my simple dog, who is also over dramatic dog if food is 0.3 seconds late.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

This is very good.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mescal posted:

Oh for sure, I'm being facetious about the game quality — it was really the peak of digital aesthetics as far as I'm concerned. We did borrow a friend's console so we could play Secret of Mana, and just a couple weeks ago I watched a playthrough of Chrono Trigger. Most of the rest I just gazed at longingly from a distance and pretended I didn't actually want to play them lol

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

learnincurve posted:

This is my simple dog, who is also over dramatic dog if food is 0.3 seconds late.

maaaaaaaaaan I wish I could find another springer spaniel

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Glottis posted:

maaaaaaaaaan I wish I could find another springer spaniel

I have a sprocker as well, oh my god is she clever. Once described as “looking like she had made her peace with her gods”

Here is Duke with his toy potato.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

My folks are just back from France, and as usual, they asked us to say if there was anything we'd like brought back for us.

I had only one request.

:yosbutt: :yosbutt: :yosbutt:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

:justass:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

When eating rear end has become too boring and normalized so you move on to drinking rear end.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Lobok posted:

When eating rear end has become too boring and normalized so you move on to drinking rear end.

Not to kinkshame but anything that can be described as liquid rear end is something I don't want anywhere near me.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Flavour notes are "Dark, nutty and earthy, with a faint aroma of raspberries"

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Fermented dingleberries.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

gleebster posted:

Why would I want to hear that when I can read it?

No. 6 posted:

Why would I want sound when I can see he's irritating on mute?

Feel free to shut the gently caress up instead of being useless white noise.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

I can hear this picture, it says "Bon jerno"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Inzombiac posted:

Feel free to shut the gently caress up instead of being useless white noise.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

More cute than funny but it reminds me of Thomas Romain, an anime artist who takes his kid's drawings and refines them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

fkn SICK