Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
They should just bring the actors back in the roles but reboot the shows because none of them ended good enough that continuing directly from them is worth the trouble

Except iron fist, no one liked that guy so just get someone else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Shang-chi was pretry much iron fist.

And if they bring back the Netflix actors they need to just reboot.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Do a weird reboot. Charlie Cox is Danny Rand, Jon Berenthal is Daredevil. Mike Colter is Elektra.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I would like a different Luke cage and iron fist. In the end I didn't enjoy either actor.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I imagine any future Daredevil content would be a soft reboot that only vaguely references prior seasons.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It's not like there aren't a zillion dd stories involving kingpin, the hand, Elektra, or some combination of the three where they could just do essentially the same poo poo as the Netflix shows and pretend they were doing a different story instead

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

site posted:

They should just bring the actors back in the roles but reboot the shows because none of them ended good enough that continuing directly from them is worth the trouble

Except iron fist, no one liked that guy so just get someone else

Honestly this is the way to go just to fix some stuff that the Netflix shows did to be earthy and real. Perfect chance to ditch whatever the hell they were trying to do with Typhoid Mary and also get rid of Bullseye's "so mad and so good at baseball" origin story.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I thought Mike Colter was a really good Luke Cage, the seasons just never figured out how to bring it home. But I ended up more favorable on Netflix Marvel than most. Iron Fist S2 was fun for me. Keeping Cox is a good shot. D'onofrio is obviously the same. Berenthal was pretty good too, I'd love for him to get another go.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Aphrodite posted:

The character rights reverted to Marvel/Disney, but Netflix would still own the content of the shows.

To do an actual season 4 follow-up probably means some money being paid to Netflix. They can afford it of course but do they want to?

Netflix would just hold the streaming rights to the Marvel Netflix shows for however long was specified by the terms of the deal they signed in 2013, not the rights to their actual content.

That said, I doubt Marvel Studios would be interested in doing a direct continuation of the Netflix shows anyway. Even if they’re bringing back some of the cast, those series were pretty far afield tonally from the MCU proper.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I imagine that Disney would just have to pay if they want to reuse footage. And there's probably not a ton they need to reuse or want to but if there is I imagine Netflix would be reasonable since it just theoretically gets eyes over to Netflix to watch the shows.

But yeah "soft reboot/sequel" territory where you take what you want and start new. And if you contradict something just handwave it away.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Also it allows you to recast iron fist

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Dexo posted:

Also it allows you to recast iron fist

Nah just keep Jessica Henwick as Colleen Wing the Iron Fist.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Barry Convex posted:

Netflix would just hold the streaming rights to the Marvel Netflix shows for however long was specified by the terms of the deal they signed in 2013, not the rights to their actual content.

That said, I doubt Marvel Studios would be interested in doing a direct continuation of the Netflix shows anyway. Even if they’re bringing back some of the cast, those series were pretty far afield tonally from the MCU proper.

This wasn’t Netflix licensing a show, this was Netflix paying Marvel TV to make a show for them. Like Stranger Things, rather than the Office.

Beyond just the actual footage, things like the original costume designs for the show potentially belong to Netflix even though they’re derivative. The raised webbing Spider-Man suit belongs to Sony for that reason.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Codependent Poster posted:

Nah just keep Jessica Henwick as Colleen Wing the Iron Fist.

Hmm I'll allow it.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Could they use the guy who played Cole in the new MK as Iron Fist? He can at least fight he looked good in a suit in Wu Assassin.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Azubah posted:

Could they use the guy who played Cole in the new MK as Iron Fist? He can at least fight he looked good in a suit in Wu Assassin.

Maybe it was just the direction but he had zero charisma in that movie.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

If you want someone boring you might as well keep the original.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Codependent Poster posted:

Maybe it was just the direction but he had zero charisma in that movie.

X-O posted:

If you want someone boring you might as well keep the original.

If you go back far enough in this very thread you'll find the part in Iron Fist where he fights a random drunken boxer and everyone here says "why couldn't that guy have been Iron Fist?"

But now I guess he has zero charisma and is boring.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Keep the original but have Shang Chi beat him up and toss him in a trash can in the first five minutes, then Colleen and him do the rest of the show

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
keep rand only if they continue with the iron fist ghost guns punisher whatever the gently caress they were about to do because it was stupid as hell but it'd probably be funny for a few eps

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Sgt. Politeness posted:

If you go back far enough in this very thread you'll find the part in Iron Fist where he fights a random drunken boxer and everyone here says "why couldn't that guy have been Iron Fist?"

That was Lewis Tan, and that was the best scene in both seasons of Iron Fist. Since then, Tan had a glorified cameo as Shatterstar in Deadpool 2.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Yeah, that's why I'm not sure if it was the direction of MK or what because he was a lot better in that single scene in Iron Fist.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

That was Lewis Tan, and that was the best scene in both seasons of Iron Fist. Since then, Tan had a glorified cameo as Shatterstar in Deadpool 2.

.....and then he was in Mortal Kombat, like Azubah mentioned.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Sgt. Politeness posted:

.....and then he was in Mortal Kombat, like Azubah mentioned.

Oh, sorry, I didn't see it so I had no idea.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
It was supposedly down to him and Finn Jones for Rand but Loeb and/or Perlmutter wanted Jones for it. The follow up rumor is that's its why Jones had no time for training, the showrunner were expecting to hire someone that didn't need as much lead time and choreography training.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Didn't Tan star in MK?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Tan wasn't well-received in MK because it was a studio-mandated original protagonist fighting among a bunch of beloved characters and Tan just wasn't charismatic enough to make the writing work.

He was still better than the kid protagonist from the Darkstalkers cartoon, at least.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

Gavok posted:

He was still better than the kid protagonist from the Darkstalkers cartoon, at least.

Yeah seriously, what the gently caress was that about? I wanted that cartoon to be good so badly but at least I was never a morning enough person to have a fully functioning brain when I'd watch it before school. Probably shouldn't have been driving either.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

It's Kombat time!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Yeah seriously, what the gently caress was that about? I wanted that cartoon to be good so badly but at least I was never a morning enough person to have a fully functioning brain when I'd watch it before school. Probably shouldn't have been driving either.

At least the end credits theme slapped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snLcLP_uexw

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

This wasn’t Netflix licensing a show, this was Netflix paying Marvel TV to make a show for them. Like Stranger Things, rather than the Office.

Beyond just the actual footage, things like the original costume designs for the show potentially belong to Netflix even though they’re derivative. The raised webbing Spider-Man suit belongs to Sony for that reason.

the key distinction there would be that the pre-2017 Spider-Man movies were actually made by Sony, not Marvel. The Netflix Marvel shows, on the other hand, were all made by a division of Disney (I'm not sure Netflix even had an in-house TV studio until well after they had begun production), so I'm pretty doubtful that Netflix would actually own any rights to their content and not just distribution thereof.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Barry Convex posted:

the key distinction there would be that the pre-2017 Spider-Man movies were actually made by Sony, not Marvel. The Netflix Marvel shows, on the other hand, were all made by a division of Disney (I'm not sure Netflix even had an in-house TV studio until well after they had begun production), so I'm pretty doubtful that Netflix would actually own any rights to their content and not just distribution thereof.

Aren't the Spider-Man films still made by Sony? Just they use some normally Disney cast and crew and have Fiege looking over their shoulder?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Aren't the Spider-Man films still made by Sony? Just they use some normally Disney cast and crew and have Fiege looking over their shoulder?

as far as I know, it's more the other way around, that they're made by Marvel Studios and overseen by Sony, but that particular situation is unique enough that I honestly don't know how the rights to things like costume designs are handled

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Haven't read this OGN but I know it got great reviews

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1445071767354105856

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Barry Convex posted:

Haven't read this OGN but I know it got great reviews

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1445071767354105856

It's pretty alright. I am gonna put one of the plot points behind spoilers here, mostly because I would be really curious about how Disney addresses it:

The book has three separate stories going on and one of those stories involves a very obviously way over the top racial stereotype of someone from China. It makes sense in the book because it is all about identity and how someone who is Chinese American views themselves and if they are more American or Chinese. I would be curious to see if Disney shows this storyline because it is really really really over the top - think mid century depiction of people from China and you'll get the point

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Not really a trailer but new clip from the Peacemaker TV show just dropped.

https://www.avclub.com/john-cena-is-the-butt-of-all-the-jokes-in-first-clip-fr-1847800045

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
What If wrapped up in a kinda rote fashion, but at least the action bits were fun. I love cartoons. Marvel Studios should make more. Maybe with more of a budget, next time (not that this looked bad for a CG TV series, but...)

Kinda wondering what happened with the Space Queen Gamora episode to have it dropped out of the season. Probably just production problems? There didn't seem to be any weird narrative things, or at least any that could be gleaned from the episode

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

OnimaruXLR posted:

What If wrapped up in a kinda rote fashion, but at least the action bits were fun. I love cartoons. Marvel Studios should make more. Maybe with more of a budget, next time (not that this looked bad for a CG TV series, but...)

Kinda wondering what happened with the Space Queen Gamora episode to have it dropped out of the season. Probably just production problems? There didn't seem to be any weird narrative things, or at least any that could be gleaned from the episode

covid cut their episode count

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Makes me curious if/to what extent they will have to change the episode itself in light of it's shift it's airdate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Much like how I was content last week since I got to see Uatu headbutt a guy, now I'm content because I got a Zola stomach head robot for a minute. Simple pleasures.