Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Come And See posted:

Also for the first half it builds upon Horse's perspective that the centaurs are terminally dumb and, more importantly, weak.

The show also makes the characters offputting to better sell the existential horror of transforming into one of them.

It's like complaining about offputting imagery in a horror film. Sure, not for you, but "deliberately bad"? Nah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM
Honestly by the end of Centaurworld the only character that didn't grow on me was the giraffe one. The kleptomaniac (Glendale, I think?) was the best of the main group, though Comfortable Doug went from some random side character to having the best song in the entire show by the end.

Also Centaurworld gets points for being the only kids show I know of that essentially has a suicide metaphor episode with the Whaletaur Shaman episode. I was kind of like "oh wow, they went there? Really?"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It's also completely consistent, like Durpleton's eyes and mouth going weirdly realistic and Glendales noodley arms and neck.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Did anyone like masters of the universe revelations? I thought I’d enjoy it due to nostalgia but even with knowing that it is part 1, the ending kinda soured me in a couple of ways in Lynn’s quick change of character ( though that may be addressed in part 2) and did no one really not see Skeltor and think to stop him?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Finally!

https://twitter.com/cartoonnetwork/status/1440362022961434633?s=21

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Infinity Train next please

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

TV Zombie posted:

Did anyone like masters of the universe revelations? I thought I’d enjoy it due to nostalgia but even with knowing that it is part 1, the ending kinda soured me in a couple of ways in Lynn’s quick change of character ( though that may be addressed in part 2) and did no one really not see Skeltor and think to stop him?

It was... fine, I guess? The original He-Man was admittedly a little after my time, so I experienced neither the highs of finding Easter eggs nor the lows of my expectations being subverted.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TV Zombie posted:

Madurai posted:

It was... fine, I guess? The original He-Man was admittedly a little after my time, so I experienced neither the highs of finding Easter eggs nor the lows of my expectations being subverted.

I enjoyed it well enough having seen enough of the original show to know who was who and what was what without really being a fan of it. But it'll all really depend on how the second half of the show turns out, I suppose. Right now Episode 4 was the only real stand out "great" episode because Griffin Newman and Lena Headey picked that fucker up and carried it on their shoulders. I'm looking forward to the second half, but at the end of the day, it's a He-Man show, it is what it is even if it's a tiny bit more emotionally mature than the longform toy ad it was based on.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On a similar note, aside from the theme song and the designs taking a bit to get used to I did wind up liking the recent CG reboot more than I expected to (also Ben Diskin is now my second favorite Skeletor voice after the original).

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ben Diskin is a good VA

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arist posted:

Ben Diskin is a good VA

:yeah:

The dude's range is amazing.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Arist posted:

Ben Diskin is a good VA

TIL not only was Ben Diskin in Kindergarten Cop, he was Eugene on Hey Arnold (from when hewas 15.)

So that's another Kingdom Hearts main character voiced by a former child star.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

TIL not only was Ben Diskin in Kindergarten Cop, he was Eugene on Hey Arnold (from when hewas 15.)

So that's another Kingdom Hearts main character voiced by a former child star.

He's also Beebo on Legends of Tomorrow.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

:yeah:

The dude's range is amazing.

Indeed. I also like that we see more of Keldor in this series and both the heroes and villains all get their own transformations (Cringer isn’t a coward in this one though and I feel like Tom Kenny could have gone a little higher pitched with his Orko voice but both still work well enough).

Do we have any idea yet when Season 2 is supposed to be out or how long this show will be in general?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Skeletor is really the star of the new He-Man. He manages to tread that line between hilarious and imposing without going too far in the other direction.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nodosaur posted:

Skeletor is really the star of the new He-Man. He manages to tread that line between hilarious and imposing without going too far in the other direction.

As he should. I hope we get more funny Skeletor out of Hamill's version in Revelations, Part 2.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

Pretty much, the dude is a snarky rear end in a top hat and loving every minute of it. He’s great

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

the thing that confuses me about centaurworld is how did they get so many big broadway names on it good lord

I really liked it, by the way. Very good show.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

SirSamVimes posted:

the thing that confuses me about centaurworld is how did they get so many big broadway names on it good lord

I really liked it, by the way. Very good show.

I mean Broadway was closed for most of last year and a lot of this one, it's not like they were short on time or anything.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcH8-6Cd3xk

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I finally got around to watching season 2 of Kid Cosmic, and it was okay. I think it could've benefited from being less focused on Jo, because it gets annoying how many epsiodes end with her continuing to forget about her mom and dedicating herself to following the Queen's bad advice. Rosa and Poppa G didn't get much time to shine either.

I was also expecting for there to be something at the core of Erodius instead of just being a raw force of nature.

Loved the reference at the end though.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I finally got around to watching season 2 of Kid Cosmic, and it was okay. I think it could've benefited from being less focused on Jo, because it gets annoying how many epsiodes end with her continuing to forget about her mom and dedicating herself to following the Queen's bad advice. Rosa and Poppa G didn't get much time to shine either.

I was also expecting for there to be something at the core of Erodius instead of just being a raw force of nature.

Loved the reference at the end though.

I get the feeling the show plans on focusing on one member of the team per season, but I agree that Jo's character arc didn't need a whole season to resolve. Kid's character arc felt less stretched mostly because he had to share time with establishing all the other characters of the truck stop. Considering how season 2 ended, my guess is the next one up for the spotlight is Poppa G. However, my hope is that they'll focus on two characters next time so the story doesn't feel so dragged out.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I get the feeling the show plans on focusing on one member of the team per season, but I agree that Jo's character arc didn't need a whole season to resolve. Kid's character arc felt less stretched mostly because he had to share time with establishing all the other characters of the truck stop. Considering how season 2 ended, my guess is the next one up for the spotlight is Poppa G. However, my hope is that they'll focus on two characters next time so the story doesn't feel so dragged out.

That in fact is explicitly the plan, which ties into how McCracken wanted to avoid KC getting canned in an incomplete form like Wander did so rather than hope to get Netflix to give him more episodes after the initial order he decided to structure the whole show around that original number of ordered episodes, splitting it into three seasons

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nodosaur posted:

Having now watched CG He-Man and going back to this post, I can safely say that Ben Diskin's Skeletor is now firmly my favorite Skeletor. He plays it to the hilt AND the script strikes that perfect balance of "This guy is a complete dipshit who can still somehow terrify the poo poo out of AND obliterate you."

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
The new Disney show, "The Ghost and Molly McGee" is really cute. Ashly Burch is such a great voice actress. And her character is super expressive.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Just got to the CG He Man episode where we learn Ram Lass regularly pees in her own helmet and my wife and I were really grossed out and not in a funny way.

The gag is really poorly crafted. And when Adam was going to pee in her helmet what was he gonna do with it after?? The whole thing makes no sense and is nasty.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

cant cook creole bream posted:

The new Disney show, "The Ghost and Molly McGee" is really cute. Ashly Burch is such a great voice actress. And her character is super expressive.

I am enjoying it so far. I also feel that Master Shake is doing s great job in his role.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Covok posted:

I am enjoying it so far. I also feel that Master Shake is doing s great job in his role.

There has not been a thing yet where Dana Snyder was not the absolute best part of whatever it is that he’s in.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

There has not been a thing yet where Dana Snyder was not the absolute best part of whatever it is that he’s in.

The same thing is true for Burch, though, so I guess we're at an impasse here. :colbert:

Edit: Okay I guess I will exclude some video game voice work, since some of those are just incredible in different ways.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 3, 2021

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Applewhite posted:

Just got to the CG He Man episode where we learn Ram Lass regularly pees in her own helmet and my wife and I were really grossed out and not in a funny way.

The gag is really poorly crafted. And when Adam was going to pee in her helmet what was he gonna do with it after?? The whole thing makes no sense and is nasty.

Is that the series that Kevin Smith made? That sounds right up his alley.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TwoPair posted:

No, that’s Revelation. This is by a completely different studio.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

TwoPair posted:

No it's the other Netflix He Man reboot from this year.
That answer sounds like a sarcastic snark but it's literal.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, the Kevin Smith show Revelation is a semi-sequel to the 80’s original with a slightly more adult tone. The CG show however is a complete reboot of the series like the Netflix She-Ra series from a few years ago was.

Applewhite posted:

Good news, that’s as bad as this show gets in terms of humor and nothing like that ever comes up again.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 3, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Larryb posted:

Yeah, the Kevin Smith show Revelation is a semi-sequel to the 80’s original with a slightly more adult tone. The CG show however is a complete reboot of the series like the Netflix She-Ra series from a few years ago was.

Good news, that’s as bad as this show gets in terms of humor and nothing like that ever comes up again.

Yeah, that was probably the only real bad joke in the show so far. CG He-Man was otherwise pretty drat funny for what it is.

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.
Your Disney synergy at work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndVFX3L4_sU

Yes, that's Alex Hirsch voicing Bill

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

GLOSS posted:

Your Disney synergy at work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndVFX3L4_sU

Yes, that's Alex Hirsch voicing Bill

I do love that but hate literally everything else about this. So like, more Bill Cypher in a bubble please.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I mean its not marvel's loki, also it would be nice if coinz being on the simpsons was a death nail.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
That Simpsons episode was very bad but I’m very happy for Alex.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

cant cook creole bream posted:

I don't suppose anyone knows if there's a legal way to watch it in Australia? It's not listed on Disney+, which is kinda surprising for a brand new animated show. 🙁

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm just annoyed because season 3 of amphibia is taking a very long time to get to the place I normally watch that kind of thing.