Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

not sure about this pit strategy that leaves you in 22nd on older tires

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
YouTube TV will likely be dropping NBCUniversal channels starting on October 1. Price will go down $10 a month though, while they work this out.

https://tv.youtube.com/learn/service-update/

This means no more live NASCAR for YTTVers races unless you have broadcast TV, since Cup and Xfinity aren't on Peacock.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

WindyMan posted:

YouTube TV will likely be dropping NBCUniversal channels starting on October 1. Price will go down $10 a month though, while they work this out.

https://tv.youtube.com/learn/service-update/

This means no more live NASCAR for YTTVers races unless you have broadcast TV, since Cup and Xfinity aren't on Peacock.

I've been avoiding switching because it just seems like an annoyance to have to switch services, set up all my DVR stuff, get used to a new UI but YTTV finally has me to the point where I have to. Losing the regional sports networks sucked because I'm a big Bruins fan and without NESN I could only see them on national NHL broadcasts. Then they come out and say Roku will no longer support them, but if you already have the app on Roku you'll be able to use it just don't accidentally delete it or get a new Roku or you have to go through some convoluted process to get YTTV through the YouTube app and now this. I guess it's on to Fubo? Honestly I don't think I want to go back to straight cable, I actually like having the apps and stuff plus I can easily connect on my phone and my xbox and don't have to have a bunch of cable boxes and crap to set up and then return when the price gets too high and switch to the other cable guy for 2 years, repeat, repeat.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

You can always look into IPTV services as well, I've been fiddling with an Astranet setup to help augment UK/European sport coverage and it's pretty slick.

Between the rate hikes and the channel spats, YTTV is definitely getting on my nerves.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

YouTube TV has two big advantages for me, easy and unlimited DVR and It Just Works™ because it's YouTube. Peacock is extremely anal about DRM to the point where I can't watch their stuff on an external TV from my PC over HDMI or pipe the audio through Android Auto in my car.

Losing the RSNs was a point of annoyance, but on the other hand I'm in Los Angeles where I had to deal with TWC/Spectrum buying out the TV rights to the Dodgers and Lakers just so they could launch two new sports networks and keep them behind a cable TV paywall, so I wasn't missing much there.

That being said, I have noticed that the majority of my watch time on YTTV lately has been through NBC for Indycar, IMSA, NASCAR, Supercross, and most of the other things they have. I can live without it at the lower price, but if it comes back more expensive I could probably do without it.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

WindyMan posted:

Peacock is extremely anal about DRM to the point where I can't watch their stuff on an external TV from my PC over HDMI or pipe the audio through Android Auto in my car.

holy poo poo seriously?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

NXS and Truck schedules are out and BAH GAWD, THAT'S IRP'S MUSIC! IT'S BACK! FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 11 YEARS...IRP...IS...HERE! AND IT'S GOT A MIC!

https://twitter.com/bobpockrass/status/1443237581072764931?s=19

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

There's more to this story.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2021/09/nbc-demanded-that-youtube-tv-bundle-peacock-or-lose-access-to-nbc-channels/

Apparently NBCU was trying to force YouTube to bundle in Peacock in order to renew carriage rights. NBC turned tail in a hurry once this came out. The experts in the article expect NBCU to cave and re-up and get everything will go back to normal. Hopefully that's the case.

Things must be pretty bad for Peacock if NBCU is trying to pull this horseshit.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

WindyMan posted:

There's more to this story.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2021/09/nbc-demanded-that-youtube-tv-bundle-peacock-or-lose-access-to-nbc-channels/

Apparently NBCU was trying to force YouTube to bundle in Peacock in order to renew carriage rights. NBC turned tail in a hurry once this came out. The experts in the article expect NBCU to cave and re-up and get everything will go back to normal. Hopefully that's the case.

Things must be pretty bad for Peacock if NBCU is trying to pull this horseshit.

Hopefully that works out I guess. As a just in case I signed up for FuboTV free trial for the next week, since the NBC deal ends tomorrow and I have not seen any updates when searching. Talladega coming up plus Brady V Pats on Sunday night football. Bad weekend to lose NBC in your channel lineup if you're a NASCAR fan, New England sports fan, or in my case both. I might just stick with it since hockey season is coming up too and Fubo has NESN.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Looks like a "short extension" has been agreed. At least handegg and plate racing will be watchable this weekend without shenanigans.

Edit:

"We’re thrilled to share that we’ve reached a deal with NBCUniversal to continue carrying the full NBCUniversal portfolio of channels, including their Regional Sports Networks and your local NBC station. That means you won’t lose access to any of their channels, and YouTube TV will continue to offer 85+ networks for $64.99* per month.

We appreciate NBCUniversal’s willingness to work toward an agreement, and we also appreciate your patience while we negotiated with them on your behalf. Thanks again for being a YouTube TV member."

mischief fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Oct 2, 2021

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

NBC, Our streaming service is complete poo poo and we have no subscribers, what do we do? Wait YouTubeTV has lots of subscribers... I know what to do... Lets bundle!

YouTube: gently caress off with that 90s cable poo poo.

NBC: Okay sorry, can't blame us for trying.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

holy poo poo

https://twitter.com/jeff_gluck/status/1444733644262813702?s=19

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

quote:

The suspect, a 32-year-old Dunwoody man, was known to the victim and currently there are no charges against him, Barnett said. Police have had contact with the shooter.

this gonna get messy aint it...

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

how have I never heard the John Ross commentary track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tbmm-v6IRvI

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

This race is gonna be a mess. They already know they can’t go 500 miles

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Cygni posted:

Possible domestic violence and the shooter was not arrested? Yes it is.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Downsley just popped up on my news aggregator. Whole thing is sketch.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420

jabro posted:

Possible domestic violence and the shooter was not arrested? Yes it is.

eh. they knew who it is and where to find him and it's Sunday. not rushing to judgment.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
What a random rear end news story.

fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010

shame on an IGA posted:

how have I never heard the John Ross commentary track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tbmm-v6IRvI

Someone took SRA's advice...

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

rumor is that he broke into his ex's house with an axe and her boyfriend shot him in self-defense

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

From a local paper:

https://www.classiccitynews.com/post/former-nascar-driver-son-of-zaxby-s-co-founder-killed-in-athens-shooting

quote:

Townley was said by sources to have been armed with an axe when he entered the house at 240 Morton Avenue and the Dunwoody man fatally shot him and Laura Townley was accidently struck by gunfire.

“I can’t confirm any of those details right now.” Barnett said Sunday afternoon. “We are not ruling out that this was potentially a self-defense case related to a domestic violence type incident. However, the investigation is still ongoing.”

The shooter has not been charged, according to Barnett, who said the female victim was transported to the hospital with serious injuries.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

I feel kind of like a dick saying this was the turn in to the wall I expected for this story but here we are :(

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Cygni posted:

No.

For what reason?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Well it certainly could have been a lot, lot messier if he hadn’t been shot.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Townley recording the ultimate DNF is a hell of a thing to wake up to.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
NASCAR 2021: Please don't axe about John Wes Townley

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

CactusWeasle posted:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
NASCAR 2021: i have bad news about 1% of race car drivers

nah, this:

CactusWeasle posted:

sportsgenius86 posted:

Townley recording the ultimate DNF is a hell of a thing to wake up to.

:eyepop:

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Oct 4, 2021

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

quote:

After developing a penchant for crashing cars early in his career, Townley would eventually develop into a respectable driver that enjoyed most of his success in the Truck Series.

Dude's not even in the dirt and they're dunkin' on him.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
wonder if anything happens to your brain from crashing ARCA cars all through your 20s that makes you think you can bring an axe to a gunfight

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

JWT went out as he raced: collecting others in his messes.

CactusWeasle posted:

New thread title please.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 4, 2021

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

"you don't want that blowing at 198 miles per hour" my man kyle larson is not gonna hit 198 any more today

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Twice today has there been indirect HMS friendly fire- Byron turned Allgaier into Larson and Elliott pushed Stenhouse into Bowman.

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

if bubba is out front when the rain starts they're gonna call it instantly

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

chamois posted:

if bubba is out front when the rain starts they're gonna call it instantly

They just sort of laid out the scenario. Takes ~2 hours to dry the entire track, it's almost 4pm, sunset is 630ish. Race is probably over if it rains hard.

A win is a win, would be awesome for Bubba.

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

yeah i hope they give bubba the win. i'd love for them to finish the race but then you open the door to something truly awful happening, like truex or logano winning

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

bubba getting a win this season after running 25th every race would truly be a miracle

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

1st year team getting a win is a pretty huge deal, even if that team is a satellite team of Gibbs really. That team has a ton of big sponsors and if they can get things going at the end of this year to setup 2022, they could be in good shape. Seems like Bubba's new crew chief has been really good for him too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

racial slander in the garage is a remarkably bad way of summarizing what happened