Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Did you try importing from Japan and not from Europe? Id have to assume it working/not working is due to ntsc/pal differences.

To answer the question though, I had the Madcatz one and I remember it working well and being comfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009
Sega legitimately blocked support for their own light gun on a couple us versions. Iirc it was house of the dead 2 and confidential mission

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Lol that’s stupid as all hell

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Is there a particular cart to get/avoid to use as a pseudo Saturn cart?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

I ordered the cheapest jankiest looking pro action replay from amazon canada and it worked for pseudo saturn kai after doing the swap trick

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B008FPMBNG/

The red carts all over ebay/asian websites seem to work fine as well. I think it's hard to go wrong.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

If you get one of the all on one red or black carts, make sure it has the 1mb and 4mb RAM support. I had to buy two because the first one didn't and I couldn't play all the good Capcom fighters.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Man I have a generic action replay cart but there are seemingly a dozen different options so I'm never sure what to get.

That said I goofed up my Saturn trying to install the MODE mount so I haven't looked at it for weeks.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

I'm going to say please make sure you get one of the red or black all-in-one carts with a physical switch on it, and not just an AR flashed with PS. Pick up this one (the pricier option) https://www.ebay.com/itm/274479421321?hash=item3fe83f9789:g:WGEAAOSw8vJfmMy3

The big reason is this: The AR encrypts your save files and can only be used as "cold storage" for game saves. Games that are programmed to recognize if you have a memory card for saving/load will not see it, meaning you will be constantly shuffling around the pittance of onboard memory. Picking up a cart with a switch like this will see that you have the full range of memory card space when it's switched to the P/S position.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I set up the Genesis because my youngest asked to play a ninja turtles game and after they played for ten minutes the older kid said "can we just leave this hooked up all the time please?"

(HH is better than TiT)

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Anyone else prefer the 3 button Genesis/MD controller to the 6 or am I crazy?

Are their any notable non-fighting games that make good use of the extra buttons? I don’t really care for fighting games since if I’m gonna play SF2 these days, it’ll be an arcade port of ST.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

I only play games that use the main three buttons, but I prefer the layout of the 6. The buttons are closer together and I can more easily move my thumb from B to C or hold down multiple buttons at once. If you have larger hands than I do, I could see the 3 being more comfortable.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

SeANMcBAY posted:

Are their any notable non-fighting games that make good use of the extra buttons? I don’t really care for fighting games since if I’m gonna play SF2 these days, it’ll be an arcade port of ST.

Ranger X

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I found the D-Pads on the 3-button pads to be very, very stiff and not have a whole lot of give, which just feels kind of awful (though it functions well enough). The 6-button pad I have, meanwhile, is nice and smooth and comparable to a Model 2 Saturn's D-Pad, which is a candidate for Best D-Pad Of All Time, so it wins by default there alone.

What gets me is I don't recall the D-Pads being so stiff on my 3-button pads beforehand. Maybe they broke down over time, or maybe I had let so much time lapse between me holding an NES controller as a toddler and me using the Genesis controller for most of my preteen life that context for what other D-Pads could feel like completely went out the window, and it was always that bad. I don't know.

The 3-button's bulk is definitely a plus, though. 6-button is a lot smaller, less handle to hold.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

SeANMcBAY posted:

It's my favorite controller as long as I don't need more than 3 buttons for retro games. I like it's size and I like the D-pad. Honestly don't really care for the Genesis 6 button, I use the 8Bitdo M30 instead.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Updated the OP with the Saturn modding information that I am most familiar with.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

I said come in! posted:

Updated the OP with the Saturn modding information that I am most familiar with.

Is anyone interested in pics and process of Saturn modding? I just bought a Saturn from Japan the other day, and it should be here mid next week. Coincidentally so should my fenrir from castlemania.

I got antsy waiting for my polymega to ship and didn’t want to tinker inside my launch model Saturn. Plus this new one is grey/blue.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

otter posted:

Is anyone interested in pics and process of Saturn modding? I just bought a Saturn from Japan the other day, and it should be here mid next week. Coincidentally so should my fenrir from castlemania.

I got antsy waiting for my polymega to ship and didn’t want to tinker inside my launch model Saturn. Plus this new one is grey/blue.

Hell yeah go for it! It would be helpful to have others to share experience and tips with. The Saturn modding community is pretty small and a lot of the info out there is outdated.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

SeANMcBAY posted:

The 3 button controller is way more comfortable, and the buttons on the 6 button controller are way too close together. I actually have a third party controller that has the size/layout of the 3 button, but with 6 buttons and turbo/slomo features. It's by High Frequency, which iirc was Toys R Us' store brand.

Edit: it's this one, except mine is clear plastic

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3341209077...tYaAkDhEALw_wcB

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sakura Wars on Saturn got a finished translation finally https://www.mediafire.com/file/ydacbcfvytndffb/SakuraWars_EnglishPatch_v2_1.zip/file And Bulk Slash is just about complete. So that is exciting. I'll be wanting to play Bulk Slash when that is released, the game looks really good.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

My grey and blue saturn has arrived from the land of the rising sun.
My fenrir has yet to start hitchhiking down i5 from Seattle.
I must be listening to too much Luda cause I want to yell at Castlemania and punch them for not shipping yet.

In June when I wasted a bunch of money on the hd retro vision it went from confirmation to delivery in 2 days.
I got confirmation a week ago today and not even a shipping update yet.

otter fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Nov 12, 2021

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

otter posted:

My grey and blue saturn has arrived from the land of the rising sun.
My fenrir has yet to start hitchhiking down i5 from Seattle.
I must be listening to too much Luda cause I want to yell at Castlemania and punch them for not shipping yet.

I had a delayed shipment from them last year and after I googled the address I was like "I could just drive up there."

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I had a delayed shipment from them last year and after I googled the address I was like "I could just drive up there."

Maybe the Sonics didn't really leave. Maybe Castelmania was supposed to deliver them to play against the blazers and they just never showed up so they said gently caress it, lets start a new team in okc of all god damned places.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Pseudo Saturn Kai has a new update https://ppcenter.webou.net/pskai/#download if you are having trouble using this with Fenrir ODE, then give this update a try, it should have better support and compatibility.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

I said come in! posted:

Pseudo Saturn Kai has a new update https://ppcenter.webou.net/pskai/#download if you are having trouble using this with Fenrir ODE, then give this update a try, it should have better support and compatibility.

This update also adds JHL support to the older Japanese model 1 Saturns, so games like Panzer Dragoon Saga can now be played on it. I'll still be getting a Fenrir in the future (once that guy finishes his ODE while keeping the disc drive mod) but this is awesome

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

I said come in! posted:

This was the whole reason I had not purchased a PSK yet... Now that it works I will order one tonight.
I also think my japanese "broken" saturn works fine.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

otter posted:

This was the whole reason I had not purchased a PSK yet... Now that it works I will order one tonight.
I also think my japanese "broken" saturn works fine.

Well, the good news is I won't have to be in a super rush to get my PSK.
I reached out to Castlemania and it turns out the Fenrir is stuck in shipping somewhere between production and the port. So we will see what happens with that, but it will be delayed.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ordered a RetroTINK 2x-Mini so I can hook my Saturn up to a monitor. Excited to get that.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Oh wow okay

https://twitter.com/Ameron001/status/1462435884788326408?s=20

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

i got a new toy today. It's my polymega fenrir ODE MD Flash kit.
Now I can flash games for the sega genesis / 32x and play them in legit hardware with some of the convenience of an Everdrive.
Also I can make fun cheap repro carts and lendable copies of games.

It was pretty frustrating to get set up initially since I use a mac. I had to load into my windows 10 virtual machine and no matter what I did, I kept on getting errors Every time I tried to dump or write a cart.
So I busted out my windows 10 laptop (god, I hate windows 10) and it would not work. Kept on saying device not connected. So I plugged it back into my mac and loaded the CM again... and it just worked every time after that.

It takes about 30 seconds to flash the cart but it is then immediately readable on the OG genesis.
Cartridges top out at 4MB without, and 2MB with a battery backup so there's a shortlist of games it will not work on.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Can you flash the sonic 3 rom and plug it into the legit s&k cart? What would happen if you used a romhack?

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

flavor.flv posted:

Can you flash the sonic 3 rom and plug it into the legit s&k cart? What would happen if you used a romhack?

i -think- i have sonic and knuckles somewhere in my garage, but maybe my brother collected it this summer.
I just flashed the Sonic 3 rom to the cart.
There is also a Sonic and Knuckles + Sonic 3 rom, but it is 4.2MB so it might not flash onto there correctly.

You can flash romhacks all day long.

Despite the 4.2MB rom size, Sonic 3+Kunuckles flashed with no error and I played Act 1 so it seems fine.
Windows 10 recognizes the 4.2MB file as 4MB making the only file larger than 4MB Super Street Fighter 2 which I am trying to write now.
update: SSF2 does not work on the flash cart even though it claims to write correctly it fails to play. I get an orange screen. Works fine on my everdrive though.

otter fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Dec 5, 2021

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I was actually wondering what would happen if you flashed something like a sonic 2 hack and plugged that into s&k

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

flavor.flv posted:

I was actually wondering what would happen if you flashed something like a sonic 2 hack and plugged that into s&k

i have to find a copy of sonic and knuckles first.
I do not seem to have one handy.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I bought the Switch Genesis 3 button and Japanese exclusive 6 button MD pads. They're both fantastic and I think I'm going to use them more for other Switch games/emulation than the actual Switch apps. The build quality is much better than 8bitdo and Retrobit pads.

I'm praying there will be a Saturn app eventually too with corresponding new Saturn pads.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

flavor.flv posted:

Judging by this video, Sonic and Knuckles reads the header of the plugged in cartridge and looks to see if it says "Sonic 3", from there it acts like an extra bank of memory, more or less. Anything else and you get a different response.

https://youtu.be/9-4SApbrYH0

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

so it could work in theory if you edited the header possibly?
I will check the thrift stores for a copy of sonic and knuckles this week.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

SeANMcBAY posted:

I bought the Switch Genesis 3 button and Japanese exclusive 6 button MD pads. They're both fantastic and I think I'm going to use them more for other Switch games/emulation than the actual Switch apps. The build quality is much better than 8bitdo and Retrobit pads.

I'm praying there will be a Saturn app eventually too with corresponding new Saturn pads.

If you're talking about officially released retro switch stuff, My Life In Gaming just tested the new controllers with a crapload of retro games and show what works well and what doesn't (due to button mapping usually)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkdEPy3LcSs

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

falz posted:

If you're talking about officially released retro switch stuff, My Life In Gaming just tested the new controllers with a crapload of retro games and show what works well and what doesn't (due to button mapping usually)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkdEPy3LcSs

That’s the video that inspired me to post. A much watch if you bought all these controllers like I did.

He’s right when he says the new 3 button feels better than the old ones. I compared mine to my 2 old ones and the dpad is much better. I don’t think that’s only due to wear on the old ones either.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 6, 2021

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I really hope 8bitdo updates the Genesis receiver firmware to accept the Switch online Genesis controller. They did it for the NES and SNES ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I really hope 8bitdo updates the Genesis receiver firmware to accept the Switch online Genesis controller. They did it for the NES and SNES ones.

This is for the non Bluetooth 2.4ghz dongle that goes in the original systems?