Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
Fernet-o-clock is my favourite time of day. Unfortunately my current spot doesn't stock it. Thanks for the reminder to change that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

The Maestro posted:

One of those classist things?

No in the instances ive seen guys out at other bars drinking in their whites its because they want to show off that theyre a chef for some odd reason.

Its more just personally embarassing to see some guy in whites sucking down bud light trying to explain "mise en place" to some 22 year old chick with tattoos at 1am on a Thursday.

Go home, do laundry.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

My new place does family meal and shift drinks. It owns. We only get one shift drink and it has to be well liquor, beer or wine, but having a drink while we count and divvy up tips is really nice after a long shift. And our cooks really work to outdo themselves for family meal sometimes. Last one was ramen and it was amazing.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I hate this drinking on the lines poo poo and it's why I'm out of the industry. Kitchens shots, free drinks all the time bullshit nurtured my deep seated alcoholism and let me go way too far into it because people were poo poo about me not wanting to drink. Took it personally, got mad, told me I wasn't being a team player cause I wouldn't do crew shots. I loving hate it and it shouldn't be part of the business. It shouldn't be the norm. Saying it's "just part of the culture" isn't a good excuse to keep it around when I know 3/4 of the people I've worked with are alcoholics making excuses.

fizzymercury fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Oct 2, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
There's a reason exploitationist business models also have a culture of alcoholism and drug abuse.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Skwirl posted:

There's a reason exploitationist business models also have a culture of alcoholism and drug abuse.

Worked for a corporate chain in the states that consistently was opening new shops and relocated managers all the time as a method of management and control. Also would send corporate level chefs around who would drink with middle management.

Straight up coercive control/abuse type of behaviour.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Skwirl posted:

Yup. It was amazing how quick I went from half a bottle of whiskey a day to the occasional cocktail with dinner when I quit working a line.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Yes my alchohol consumption has drastically decreased as well. I had ended up building a full bar when I felt I was sliding into alcoholism so I could turn it into a hobby instead of a habit, and now I've been able to downsize to a (still very very stocked) cart

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Yeah, I gave away most of my liquor when I recently moved, so I'm down to a few bottles of scotch.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

That after shift beer very often justified buying a beer, and then someone else would buy me a beer, then I had had 3 beers so it was loving go time.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I can stop after two glasses of wine now, its amazing. Like I'm just done and its time for bed.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Lol at you babies actually eating during your shift. Everyone knows you only eat at 3am, and that's if you aren't passed out drunk by then #TRUECOOKS

If you don't eat dinner, that means you're drinking on an empty stomach. This makes it faster and cheaper to reach sweet, sweet oblivion.

It's common sense. It's science. It's a fact, jack.

and then when you wake up next morning feeling like death's breath, you get to eat your "leftovers" (actually the entire untouched meal) from last night's shift meal

I'm so glad this isn't something I do multiple times a week anymore.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
My place is really generous with after work drinks, but i'm just done with people by the end of my shift. I go home and don't talk to anyone.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I work in a small rooftop bar and the bartenders who give me a drink at the end of the night get free food during their shifts and the ones who don't, don't.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

pile of brown posted:

I work in a small rooftop bar and the bartenders who give me a drink at the end of the night get free food during their shifts and the ones who don't, don't.

Not that I particularly give a poo poo but a lot of employers would view this exchange as outright theft

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Poohs Packin posted:

Not that I particularly give a poo poo but a lot of employers would view this exchange as outright theft

Then why’d you post bud.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Poohs Packin posted:

A lot of people would also view the common industry practice of demanding free work as theft too but hey thanks for chiming in

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

A lot of people would also view the common industry practice of demanding free work as theft too but hey thanks for chiming in

What about free drinks/heavy pours for better tips? Theft or standard business? Not trolling, genuinely curious what your thoughts are. I know what the owners would say...

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Canuckistan posted:

What about free drinks/heavy pours for better tips? Theft or standard business? Not trolling, genuinely curious what your thoughts are. I know what the owners would say...

When I was running bar programs my crew had a nightly comp tab. It varied based on typical sales, it was a way for them/us to take care of regulars and friends. It allowed me to keep track of inventory and the owner(singular) to see what she was giving away. It was generally 2-3% of house sales. Our chefs had a similar set up. BOH could have a draft or two at closing. FOH could only drink if they weren’t scheduled that night…nothing worse than the person begging for the cut to sit at the bar and get hammed while everyone else who actually had things to do works all night.

Heavy pours do no favors for anyone.

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap

Poohs Packin posted:

I see my bosses' exploitation of my hard working nature as outright theft :clint:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Yeah any good place will have a budget for comps and buybacks. And yes, if you are giving stuff out for free without logging it or getting permission, it is stealing by definition.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Is this finally the time? Office manager of the club I work at is leaving, I could take over that job and stop waiting tables after 16 years.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Poohs Packin posted:

There is no such thing as ethical consumption under Capitalism.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Poohs Packin posted:

All capitalist seizure of surplus value from the productive capacities of the worker is outright theft.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Shabadu posted:

Is this finally the time? Office manager of the club I work at is leaving, I could take over that job and stop waiting tables after 16 years.

IT'S TIME! IT'S TIME!

IT'S SHABADU TIME!

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Poohs Packin posted:

A lot of employers can eat my entire rear end.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Poohs Packin posted:

I get what you're saying, but the place where I work regularly does family meals for the staff downstairs and we have a lot of items that are exclusively prepped daily so there are a bunch of things I can do that are a choice between giving to my coworkers or throwing it out. I make bread every day and we don't serve day old bread. I cut tuna every day and we don't serve day old tuna. Etc. On the bar end there are open bottles for wines by the glass that date out, misrung drinks that don't have a home, sample bottles from reps, etc. I probably made it sound more transactional than it really is, it's more like "oh hey I have this thing, want it?" In general I think most of us aren't trying to rob the place blind, just make each other's shifts a little better.

It's also kinda lol that you picked on my post instead of the one where they're hiding the beers they steal in bus tubs to drink in the stockroom, but hey.

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Oct 5, 2021

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

The Bandit posted:

FOH could only drink if they weren’t scheduled that night…nothing worse than the person begging for the cut to sit at the bar and get hammed while everyone else who actually had things to do works all night.

Preach. If I closed the kitchen, sure, I'll grab a free shiftie. But if i got cut, I went home (or at least a different place). I loving hated seeing that and wouldn't be caught dead doing it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I can't imagine staying within shouting distance if I got cut, anyway. They might change their mind, and gently caress if I want to get back into the grind mindset once I've gotten clear of it.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

pile of brown posted:

It's also kinda lol that you picked on my post instead of the one where they're hiding the beers they steal in bus tubs to drink in the stockroom, but hey.

I mostly commented as a warning I wasnt trying to pick on anyone. I dont know how much longevity youve had in the industry. Ive seen people fired for less and dont wish that upon anyone.

I think alot of the family meal, post shift drinks, comp tabs, etc are just really meager conciliation designed to distract from what a raw deal most of us have gotten working for restaurants. They also create a parasocial relationshop and reliance on the business, which isn't healthy.

One thing I do know is that owners don't like employees 'settling the score' on their own accord, thats all I meant by it.

Canuckistan posted:

I knew a bartender who was fired from every job she ever had for this reason. She wasnt even clever about it just got people hammered for cheap and always had a full rail. She would just move on to the next new place in town and usually got hired because she had experience and huge boobs.

She also never served the actual bar program and would make most of her regulars "something special".

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
In some states, Mass for sure, staff meal is required to be served before any shift lasting 6 or more hours. This also means they don’t have to give you a break during your shift. Unfortunately this requirement means a lot of places just serve up the nastiest stuff they can’t sell. Then there are places that try and have a “budget” for shift meal. One spot was great, everyone on the line had a day each week that their prep time was to make food for everyone.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

(MA) For years our staff meal budget was $4 per staff member, so if the kitchen was closed and we were at the office doing paperwork or other general duties we could get $4 out of petty cash to go to the deli or whatever.

Our Breakfast guy absolutely hooks up the Day Crew, usually using up leftover function and party veg and proteins, on top of a full salad bar and sandwiches. Once a week we get all the breakfast prep from the week that doesn't get used, so egg sandwiches and croissants and such. Pastry chef also offloads all her scrap and leftovers during the day. Night Crew has to make due with beef trimmings and whatever else is left on the staff cart when day crew is done with it.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
My old place went out of business. It feels like a ship I served on sunk. :(

Hope the guys are okay.

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy

Poohs Packin posted:

I think alot of the family meal, post shift drinks, comp tabs, etc are just really meager conciliation designed to distract from what a raw deal most of us have gotten working for restaurants. They also create a parasocial relationshop and reliance on the business, which isn't healthy.

This 100%. While it's nice to know im trusted with alcohol, the place I'm now leaving has an obnoxious culture of drinking at the end of every shift. It's too easy to paper over legitimate grievances stress and long hours with alcohol.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Animal-Mother posted:

My old place went out of business. It feels like a ship I served on sunk. :(

Hope the guys are okay.

Stick around long enough, you’ll stop noticing. Every formative place I have worked, minus one, has closed their doors.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

thetan_guy42 posted:

This 100%. While it's nice to know im trusted with alcohol, the place I'm now leaving has an obnoxious culture of drinking at the end of every shift. It's too easy to paper over legitimate grievances stress and long hours with alcohol.

My favorite was the alcoholic owner who basically had a place so people would drink with him and would start handing out shift drinks sometimes 2 hours before close. It led to some very late nights/bad closes/ rough mornings.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

Naelyan posted:

Fernet-o-clock is my favourite time of day. Unfortunately my current spot doesn't stock it. Thanks for the reminder to change that.

Ah, the only spirit worse than Slivovitz

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Animal-Mother posted:

IT'S TIME! IT'S TIME!

IT'S SHABADU TIME!

Hourly Time->Salary Time (10k raise) and no more FOH service.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Ahdinko posted:

Ah, the only spirit worse than Slivovitz

I see someone hasn’t had Malort!