Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe
Huh, neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
theoretically you can compound these scenarios by launching like, whatever, thousands of nukes, each of which causes its own firestorm

but i don't see this happening tbf

and anyway i mean we have a lot of fires going now and im not expecting any great cooling happening any time soon

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

mediaphage posted:

nuclear winter is largely a myth

their results were like if 100 firestorms, each a result of the catastrophic destruction of a city, were all set ablaze, global temps would drop by 1C

Yup. If anything, it was floated forth and perpetuated as the "insurance policy" if MAD wasn't enough to discourage nuclear war. They even tried trotting it out when it looked like India vs. Pakistan was about to kick off a few years back, how "even a limited regional war on the Subcontinent could be the TIPPING POINT THAT DOOMS US ALL!" :jerkbag:

"Sure, your populace might die, but you'll die miserable and sallow-faced in your bunkers."

Today's leaders and hundred-billionaires don't seem to care. Money can fix everything and they're the smartest people in the world because the sycophants they listen to keep saying they are! :shepface:

BIG HEADLINE has issued a correction as of 02:39 on Oct 4, 2021

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
My understanding was that it was a deliberate miscalculation of the megatonnage involved. For nuclear winter to happen the explosions needed to be powerful enough to push the debris high enough into the stratosphere for it to actually stay there and not just fall back to earth.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
yellowstone or geomagnetic storm are the optimal outcomes at this point

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i think some people modeled it in good faith with their suppositions and both they and others overstated them as a potential deterrent

either way it doesn't matter

Rectal Death Adept posted:

yellowstone or geomagnetic storm are the optimal outcomes at this point

geomagnetic storm is very possible and likelier than yellowstone imo. there's a chance we could live to see a storm that is so powerful that the carrington event would barely be considered a blip

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe
I'm looking forward to the newest generation of kids to be utterly unpredictable wildcards.

One moment they're model citizens with weird senses of humor, the next they're hurling their bodies into turbines or in front of freight trains en masse because lol lmao why not?

Eco terrorism and mayhem utterly at random because, hell, why not? There's no future after all.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

honestly that would be wild to consider, just like, all of our electronics dying all at once

power outages of up to years depending on the hardest hit regions

like imagine all the transformers in the entire north american grid all going bzzzt at the same time

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

A Terrible Person posted:

I'm looking forward to the newest generation of kids to be utterly unpredictable wildcards.

One moment they're model citizens with weird senses of humor, the next they're hurling their bodies into turbines or in front of freight trains en masse because lol lmao why not?

Eco terrorism and mayhem utterly at random because, hell, why not? There's no future after all.

recent polls suggest that they think the problem is so overwhelming theres no point in doing anything against it so i wouldnt hold my breath for ecoterror

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Funky See Funky Do posted:

My understanding was that it was a deliberate miscalculation of the megatonnage involved. For nuclear winter to happen the explosions needed to be powerful enough to push the debris high enough into the stratosphere for it to actually stay there and not just fall back to earth.

It's a delicate balance between a lot of things. Yield, warhead and tamper composition, airburst (and altitude thereof) versus groundburst, soil composition (looser soils are obviously going to be easier to toss up into the upper layers of the atmosphere than rockier ones) and/or urban density at ground zero. With the exception of the Russians and their stupid new "showoff" strategic weapon portfolio designed the bounce the rubble, most nuclear powers are limiting themselves to around a megaton as anything too large wastes energy into space that you'd rather be being used to blast and burn cities off the map. It's also much more efficient to "scattershot" a target area with many smaller MIRVs than use one big warhead (except in the case of superhardened targets like CoG/leadership bunkers), especially since computers and global positioning satellite networks are reducing CEP numbers considerably.

mediaphage posted:

recent polls suggest that they think the problem is so overwhelming theres no point in doing anything against it so i wouldnt hold my breath for ecoterror

"My kids'll fix i...oh...right." :smith:

The more likely scenario is "get it while the gettin's good."

BIG HEADLINE has issued a correction as of 03:04 on Oct 4, 2021

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

mediaphage posted:

Oh, right.

Then just regular terrorism on a whim because lol, why not?

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011

mediaphage posted:

like imagine all the transformers in the entire north american grid all going bzzzt at the same time

don’t stop I’m almost there

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Oh, right.

gross

Lackmaster posted:

don’t stop I’m almost there

the internet likely permanently disabled in the hardest hit region too

i assume it would just flat out fry all the satellites in orbit since most are not in geosynchronous orbit and a huge percentage of those would fry anyway

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

mediaphage posted:

i think some people modeled it in good faith with their suppositions and both they and others overstated them as a potential deterrent

either way it doesn't matter

geomagnetic storm is very possible and likelier than yellowstone imo. there's a chance we could live to see a storm that is so powerful that the carrington event would barely be considered a blip

polar flip, ftw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6Ggs7nUjxA

it's good a bunch of weak tame rear end volcanos are giving it a shot, it's just weak sauce because unlike climate change we aren't responsible

actually I'm not responsible for anything but a real Krakatoa type thing would be a blessing

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
We gotta get those tiktok witches to hex the sun and create another Carrington event

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

We gotta get those tiktok witches to hex the sun and create another Carrington event

nah im telling you carrington event is small potatoes

you're looking for a charlemagne event

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://www.e-reading.club/chapter.php/75689/0/larry-niven-all-the-myriad-ways.html

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

:getin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4HpDPST76o

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Oh, right.

you mean school shootings?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
had to skip like 200 posts because i'm working myself to death at the moment

did i miss anything good? (i am caught up on the babies full of microplastics)

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i got "nature abhors a dome" on repeat while i grind out 16 hour days :hellyeah:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Well, kids, there's overwhelming evidence that we're destroying life as we understand it on this planet. There's a reasonable chance that everything you're doing in your life now is meaningless, because the world, if it survives at all, will be a drastically different place very soon. The good news is that there are reasonable options to address these problems, they've always been available, and they're likely to result in a better world for everyone.

What? Oh, no, we're not taking those options. Heavens, no. We're going to innovate our way to safety. Wait, why are you crying? drat your liberal educational institutions for instilling this mindset of fear!

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Cold on a Cob posted:

had to skip like 200 posts because i'm working myself to death at the moment

did i miss anything good? (i am caught up on the babies full of microplastics)

Turns out those babies full of microplastics are voting overwhelmingly conservative.

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011
also, the babies are racist

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Paradoxish posted:

Well, kids, there's overwhelming evidence that we're destroying life as we understand it on this planet. There's a reasonable chance that everything you're doing in your life now is meaningless, because the world, if it survives at all, will be a drastically different place very soon. The good news is that there are reasonable options to address these problems, they've always been available, and they're likely to result in a better world for everyone.

What? Oh, no, we're not taking those options. Heavens, no. We're going to innovate our way to safety. Wait, why are you crying? drat your liberal educational institutions for instilling this mindset of fear!

lol what? that's not what's being said

hey kids, we're gonna keep the infinite growth gravy train rolling for ourselves at the expense of all current and future civilizational functionality, but after we're all dead or completely out of power you'll have your chance to innovate your way to safety all on your own

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Turns out those babies full of microplastics are voting overwhelmingly conservative.

Don't forget the heavy metals in the baby food!

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Complications posted:

hey kids, we're gonna keep the infinite growth gravy train rolling for ourselves at the expense of all current and future civilizational functionality, but after we're all dead or completely out of power you'll have your chance to innovate your way to safety all on your own

setting the climate targets for 5 or 10 years in the future - for the past 50 years! - shows beyond a shadow of a doubt that the plan for climate change by the current generation of leaders is to keep the balls in the air just long enough for all of them to die naturally, having lived a life of abundance, joy, irresponsibility, hedonism, and nihilistic glee

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

is it a coincidence that the climate change goal proposed by whatever fossilized boomer is always set for a year that even they know is beyond their adrenochrome-extended lifespans?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Lackmaster posted:

also, the babies are racist

Yeah 'cause they were voting conservative for the fiscal policies?

Complications posted:

Plus they're kids. Unless they're the one or two weirdos out of every class that are into politics and issues beyond whatever dumbshit kids are into these days they don't know poo poo. They're too busy doing the Fortnight dancing on the TikToks to care about the fate of the planet.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

"I've signed a climate change declaration for 2050," say a 78 year old multi-millionaire

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Don't forget the heavy metals in the baby food!

In retrospect society has all been downhill since we started feeding cannibal corpses to babies.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Oh, right.

a few weeks ago someone itt pointed out that ecoterrorism has already begun, just in the opposite direction of what we all expected

Record number of environmental activists murdered
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-58508001

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

IAMKOREA posted:

a few weeks ago someone itt pointed out that ecoterrorism has already begun, just in the opposite direction of what we all expected

lol. lmao.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Buncha libs gonna crack ping on PFAS this week because John Oliver is covering the hell out of it.

Lmao. gently caress.

Futures hosed.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I'm very disappointed he didn't mention that PFAS chems shrink dinks.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

IAMKOREA posted:

It's just coming out of a bit of a lull, been going on for centuries

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

silicone thrills posted:

Buncha libs gonna crack ping on PFAS this week because John Oliver is covering the hell out of it.

Lmao. gently caress.

Futures hosed.

*Lib soy face*

Science!

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

hurricanes are drunk now

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

IAMKOREA posted:

there's plenty of sabotage/vandalism/monkey-wrenching going on around the world on some scale or another, yet oddly enough the media tends not to focus so much on such ethically fuzzy areas. eg Montoya and Reznicek in the US, or Wiebo Ludwig in Canada are moderately well-known ones probably because they all confessed, on purpose, to the cops.

they could have kept on vandalizing stuff for years and cost the oil companies millions in lawyers and lost revenue, and that's couch-change money for an oil company compared to the potential hit of an ahem eco-warrior getting free publicity to air their complaints.

of course this doesn't mean that young people should go out and put BBs under the valve-stem covers on fancy rich-people's cars. that'd definitely get you shot in the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
https://www.aljazeera.com/amp/news/2021/10/4/plane-crashes-into-building-in-milan-8-people-killed

this billionaire has done more to combat climate change than I can hope to accomplish in my natural lifespan :cheerdoge: