Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Lucked into getting a used Series X and it's awesome. Gamepass is ridiculous with way too many choices which means I'm in analysis paralysis.

Shot in the dark: I've been playing Psychonauts 2 on my PC (via Steam) and am about halfway through the game. ANY way I can get that save ported over to the xbox? I tried installing on PC via gamepass but it appears the save files are different formats :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I'm a few hours into Avengers (singleplayer) and am pleasantly surprised at how much I'm enjoying the story. The combat is bad, feels hectic and mashy, and not like something I can improve at to be smooth and stylish, or even mashy but fun. But the story has been cool so far.

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014
Finally getting my Series S next week! I though about waiting for a X but I’m impatient and at the end of the day, I’m not playing games as much these days. I’m coming from a One S, so as long as it’s more powerful than that, I’m happy. Like most, just going to be my game pass machine for now.

With that said, are there any games that straight up won’t work well. I saw an article on Toms Guide (I know, it just popped up on my google feed) warning people not to buy a S|S because it won’t be able to play a lot of games like Control and No Mans Sky.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
Any game that runs on an Xbox Series X will run on a Series S. The Series S will generally run games at a lower resolution and sometimes with lower graphical effects and/or at a lower frame rate.

Control and No Man's Sky absolutely run on a Series S.

The Series S is a great little machine. Enjoy!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

There aren't any games that won't work, you just may end up with some performance cuts like no option for raytracing or in the case of things very weirdly optimized Yakuza 7 running 900p60.

Otherwise it works as advertised: 1080p60 when its big brother shoots for closer to 4k in the same situation and has all the bells and whistles otherwise

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

After a decade I’m back in the Xbox ecosystem. Took a look at the cost of upgrading my ageing PC and balked at the outrageous cost of graphics cards.

So I got an Xbox Series X via All Access and yeah this loving owns, and I’m having a blast playing Fallen Order in 4K.

The price of the controller charging kits is a bit poo poo though, so I just got a charger and some rechargeable AAs.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Lord Ludikrous posted:

So I got an Xbox Series X via All Access and yeah this loving owns, and I’m having a blast playing Fallen Order in 4K.

You wish. It runs at a measly 1440p.

Despite all the marketing very few games on the SeX actually run at 4k60.

Next gen, perhaps...

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Fallen Order does have a 4k (2160p) mode at 30fps, or 1440p at 60. It was patched in a few months ago.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
Yeah, a lot of games hit 4K, though it's often part of either a quality/performance toggle or a dynamic resolution system. It would be detrimental if games were arbitrarily locking to 4K at the expense of everything else.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

thatfuturekid posted:

Finally getting my Series S next week! I though about waiting for a X but I’m impatient and at the end of the day, I’m not playing games as much these days. I’m coming from a One S, so as long as it’s more powerful than that, I’m happy. Like most, just going to be my game pass machine for now.

With that said, are there any games that straight up won’t work well. I saw an article on Toms Guide (I know, it just popped up on my google feed) warning people not to buy a S|S because it won’t be able to play a lot of games like Control and No Mans Sky.

Technically runs everything as people mentioned, but I had an S for more than a year and now have an X and the S does struggle with backwards compat stuff. "Struggle" is the wrong term, it plays them fine, but One games either use the S version or the X version depending on which Series console you're playing them on. For some games this can be the difference between a game feeling next gen and feeling like a PS3 game unfortunately

99% of the time if something is labeled S/X compatible it runs great, its more of an issue when going through back catalog on gamepass. If a game has "FPS Boost" it usually runs very well on the S too, Prey ran so well (a game that famously ran like poo poo on last gen hardware) and they have been getting better at supporting the S with time it feels like.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I haven't had an issue with anything on my S, it's not like the One S where more current things (like Control) ran like poo poo on clearly low settings.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I'm a few hours into Avengers (singleplayer) and am pleasantly surprised at how much I'm enjoying the story. The combat is bad, feels hectic and mashy, and not like something I can improve at to be smooth and stylish, or even mashy but fun. But the story has been cool so far.

I felt the same way until the story makes you do "defend the point" missions, and never touched it again. Was expecting to at least get through the campaign.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Fallen Order does have a 4k (2160p) mode at 30fps, or 1440p at 60. It was patched in a few months ago.

Oh yeah that's true but I am not willing to play any action game at 30 fps ever again.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Lord Ludikrous posted:

After a decade I’m back in the Xbox ecosystem. Took a look at the cost of upgrading my ageing PC and balked at the outrageous cost of graphics cards.

The price of the controller charging kits is a bit poo poo though, so I just got a charger and some rechargeable AAs.

Eneloops are such a great value for folks that have enough devices.

I use AA in two Xbox controllers, my G305 and my GBA. Super easy just managing recharges instead of throwing money at Duracells.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Played a little bit of the infinite beta yesterday with my brother in law, and I really enjoy the lighting stuff they added, it definitely makes things seem slightly less uninspired.

Halo's always been a good time but the art design is just usually...lower case, we'll say.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC

Mr. Neutron posted:

Oh yeah that's true but I am not willing to play any action game at 30 fps ever again.

I have usually held the same opinion but I dabbled with Avengers yesterday and I was going back and forth between quality/performance. Its a bit of analysis paralysis with me and I ended up taking a long time getting through the Golden Gate tutorial because I kept switching the graphics options.

But I ended up on Quality for this one, the visuals are noticeably better (compared to the option in AC: Valhalla where I really couldn't tell where the graphical upgrades were.) and the gameplay isn't fast paced enough to feel the need for 60fps.

---

Overall I am glad the performance/quality options exist and people have an option but damnit if I won't sit there and meticulously decide my preference before I get settled into a game

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Soul Glo posted:

Eneloops are such a great value for folks that have enough devices.

I use AA in two Xbox controllers, my G305 and my GBA. Super easy just managing recharges instead of throwing money at Duracells.

The Eneloops have been great, Bought 8 of them for two controllers and just have to walk a few ft to change them over to a fully charged pair twice a month.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

External Organs posted:

Halo's always been a good time but the art design is just usually...lower case, we'll say.

I had a lot of fun with the beta, largely because I haven’t played Halo online for ages. Honestly, other than prettier graphics, the art design seems exactly the same as it was twenty years ago or whenever. (Surely there are huge changes that I’m too out of the loop to notice)

Wish there was more variety in the big FPS games. We’ve got the world wars, vague near-future stuff, and “Star Wars” poo poo. More crazy Splatoon ideas please. But I guess the people have spoken?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Doh004 posted:

Lucked into getting a used Series X and it's awesome. Gamepass is ridiculous with way too many choices which means I'm in analysis paralysis.

Shot in the dark: I've been playing Psychonauts 2 on my PC (via Steam) and am about halfway through the game. ANY way I can get that save ported over to the xbox? I tried installing on PC via gamepass but it appears the save files are different formats :(

I would try contacting the developers for this, either through Steam or Twitter. It's a legitimate edge case situation and they'd probably want public documentation to exist for the other 12 people that have this problem.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Anyone playing Grounded? It's really polished for an EA. So far a fun "Honey I Shrunk the Kids" experience with crafting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciVgq5xO5G0

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

It’ll be interesting to see what Obsidian can manage with, I assume, a MS provided budget and proper QA.

That Grounded game looks like it’s taking a lot of cues from Rust, but I’ll check it out in full release for sure.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Yeah I’ve been playing using the high quality mode. I’ve had an original PS4 hooked up to my 4K TV since we got the latter so it’s nice to actually see things in 4K.

So far I’m really enjoying the overall experience and I’m glad I was patient and got the X rather than settling for the S. I really dig the look as well; this imposing black monolith that’s eerily silent. I also love the Windows 98 style startup jingle - it’s right up there with the original PlayStation. The fact I didn’t have to fork out £449 up front is the icing on the cake.

My apologies for being yet another new guy wandering into the thread and babbling about his new Xbox, but in this age of ever increasing costs of living and my increasing age and cynicism it’s just so nice to buy something that just shouts “I’m incredible value for money and you’re going to have a shitload of fun over the years with me” from the rooftops.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Anyone playing Grounded? It's really polished for an EA. So far a fun "Honey I Shrunk the Kids" experience with crafting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciVgq5xO5G0

i've wanted to check it out but am not really sold on playing it solo, you can toss me a friend request @ cubivore on xbl if you wanna play it multiplayer

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

how much of a hassle is it to change your Xbox username (gamertag???)
is it gonna gently caress up my account at all or is it fairly straightforward

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

it’s easy enough. i did it on the website a few years ago, but I’m not sure how much it’s changed now MS is doing the battlenet thing of letting your name be whatever you want and adding some numbers after it.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Only thing I can advise is to to clear local Xbox 360 storage after the change.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ZeeBoi posted:

Only thing I can advise is to to clear local Xbox 360 storage after the change.

I'm not gonna lose all my 360 saves am I?

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Nah, they're stored on the cloud. It's so you can use your new gamertag in 360 games.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I recently changed my gamertag and had to do the same thing.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Cool, thanks for the info

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

https://youtu.be/u_uRCHRYNUc

Devil's third:revengance some how doesn't look as charming as the og

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I appreciate a janky action game

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Cloks posted:

I would try contacting the developers for this, either through Steam or Twitter. It's a legitimate edge case situation and they'd probably want public documentation to exist for the other 12 people that have this problem.

Hey, that's 12 more than I thought there'd be :P

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Quantum of Phallus posted:

You end up with a jumble of numbers after your tag now though, so you may want to think twice about changing it if you have a good OG tag.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Fanatic posted:

You end up with a jumble of numbers after your tag now though, so you may want to think twice about changing it if you have a good OG tag.

This only happens if you pick a name someone already has.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Evil Badman posted:

That's true - https://support.xbox.com/en-us/help/account-profile/profile/change-xbox-live-gamertag

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Fanatic posted:

Evil Badman posted:

More specifically, this only happens to your Xbox360 name. There's a newer name class that puts the unique number into a subsection (think Discord), though the new name style also has new unicode requirements (you are no longer restricted to ASCII, seems you require a font that works for the entire UTF-16 code page) so not every game will be using it (eg Quake).

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Oct 4, 2021

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

whoever is putting out there that No Man's Sky will run on XSS is technically telling the truth but let me assure you it runs like wet dog poo poo and you will hate it. trust me, it's really bad

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Tatsuta Age posted:

whoever is putting out there that No Man's Sky will run on XSS is technically telling the truth but let me assure you it runs like wet dog poo poo and you will hate it. trust me, it's really bad

does it not run 60fps on S?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Isn't that game like 5 years old?