Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Captain Hygiene posted:

I like the youtube comments arguing in favor of the short footage, because obviously fight-or-flight would preclude anyone from getting a decent amount of Bigfoot footage Bigfootage

..... which also ignores the fact that they obviously have more footage since they include still shots of it having walked past that tree and starting to walk into the woods

They didn't play the footage at the correct speed even once, they didn't include the original audio at all, and they had more footage but for some reason they only played that same 1 second over and over and only included stills of the rest. It's super dodgy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I remember once not having anything better to watch and before i discovered podcasts watching a marathon of Hunting Bigfoot. I had to laugh at the guy who literally everything he saw in the woods was clear, 100% signs of Bigfoot. This dead animal? Bigfoot. This pile of poop? Bigfoot. This tuft of fur? Bigfoot. That sound? BIgfoot. That slightly broken twig? totally 100% Bigfoot.

Not that anything else in the woods poops or eats other animals.

Snipe and WIb mostly do Warhammer related content, but they recently released a video about a really terrible Bigfoot Hunting game show. I am not sure what was with all the poop touching and eating, I guess they just have a thing for it and was using it for being on tv.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lH2KcrkiANw

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Wait, is Bigfoot not a vegetarian? I guess I just always assumed he had the same dietary habits as a gorilla.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Wait, is Bigfoot not a vegetarian? I guess I just always assumed he had the same dietary habits as a gorilla.

Bigfoot is basically whatever you want it to be. It can just be an unknown type of large primate, or it could be an extradimentional being that will bring you enlightenment.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Bigfoot exclusively eats Jack Link's beef jerky :colbert:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

feedmyleg posted:

Bigfoot exclusively eats Jack Link's beef jerky :colbert:

He also loves coca-cola and rock music!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Most of the guys at the BFRO seems to be pretty convinced that Bigfoot is an omnivore that hunts & eats deer and other animals, mostly based on "eyewitness reports" of Bigfoots carrying deer carcasses around. It also helps explain how a population of theoretical giant apes could sustain themselves outside of a tropical rainforest environment, plus the majority of alleged Bigfoot sightings are in areas where there's high deer populations. Which is also the exact same areas that have big populations of bears. Bigfoot = misidentified bears.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Bigfoot = misidentified bears.

:monocle:

Just kidding, I want to believe, but pretty much yeah.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

feedmyleg posted:

Bigfoot exclusively eats my rear end

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
New episode of the criminally under-watched series British Cryptids.

https://youtu.be/LKHGRZEA1CA

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

twistedmentat posted:

Snipe and WIb mostly do Warhammer related content, but they recently released a video about a really terrible Bigfoot Hunting game show. I am not sure what was with all the poop touching and eating, I guess they just have a thing for it and was using it for being on tv.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lH2KcrkiANw

The poop eating guy is a Youtuber called SnowWalkerPrime who apparently has an actual biology degree but his videos are mostly vlogs where he walks through the forest or sits in his car complaining about other members of the Bigfoot community. He brags about being a wilderness survival expert and like most Squatchers he'd obviously LOVE to become a media celebrity and he's clearly super jealous of the Finding Bigfoot goobers. He's been SquatchVlogging obsessively for over a decade now but most of his videos only have a couple hundred views.

The guy who allegedly shot & killed two Bigfoots back in 2010 is a guy called Justin Smeja and when the story broke in 2011 is was HUGE NEWS in the Bigfoot community and caused a massive uproar. Here's two early blogposts about it:
http://bigfootevidence.blogspot.com/2011/06/erickson-project-two-dead-bigfoot.html
http://bigfootevidence.blogspot.com/2011/11/sierra-kills-this-post-from.html
Many many more blog posts talking about this guy, with lots of "Bigfoot experts" arguing over his story: http://bigfootevidence.blogspot.com/search?q=justin+smeja
From what I can gather he was just some random hunter dude who made a wacky post about shooting some a weird animal on a taxidermy forum (where he'd described it as a weird bear that walked upright) and it looks like the Bigfoot community got wind of it and started messaging him and he realised he could make $$$ off the story. All the "main players" in the community got involved even though he kept changing his story and elaborating on it more and more and eventually producing shoddy 'evidence' much later (the Bigfoot flesh sample which was DNA tested and turned out to be a bear).

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was wondering about that story. That dude was super insistent that yes, he shot and killed 2 bears. And yea, I remember watching a show on Bigfoot ages ago and they had René Dahinden on it. He is probably the most well known Bigfoot hunter of the earlier era, and was literally a old mountain coot in his old age, but also apparently a really nice guy, and his interest in Bigfoot was as if it was a endangered species. He had a lot of problems with modern Bigfoot hunting because they seemed to demean it down to being an animal so it could be killed, which really upset him.

He clearly had good humor about the whole thing because he appeared in Kokanee beer ads in the mid 90s joking about the it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29SoakYhHNA

BTW If Bigfoot does exist, i am on his side, it's something that we should just leave alone and let it live its life.

Skunk Apes, gently caress those guys, kill them all an let god sort them out.

PringleCreamEgg posted:

New episode of the criminally under-watched series British Cryptids.

https://youtu.be/LKHGRZEA1CA

I have never seen this channel but awesome.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Aren't skunk apes just redneck bigfoots?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Captain Hygiene posted:

Aren't skunk apes just redneck bigfoots?

Yea, the two can be told apart by the Skunk Apes tendency to carry around CSA flags and vote straight R.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
Since Halloween is coming up soon and I think it's kind of a shame that this thread isn't so active anymore so I thought I'd post a few of the cryptid photos that always creeped me out as a kid. Not necessarily the most convincing ones or the most interesting ones, just the ones that I thought were scary.

First off, the Skunk Ape, Florida's own redneck bigfoot, which in this famous image looks like what you'd get if an orangutan was creepy.

Second, this photo of something from Chile. Some have claimed this to be a gray alien, others have claimed it's a goblin or fairy or some other kind of mystical creature, others have even claimed it's a reappearance of the Dover Demon, a weird one-off cryptid supposedly sighted in Dover, Massachusetts in 1977. In reality it's most likely a dog from a weird angle where you can only see two legs and the tail.

And finally, we have De Loy's Ape. It's a nonsensical racist hoax that I've talked about in this thread before but it's also a genuinely creepy image of a dead spider monkey propped up in a very unpleasant way.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

christ the Skunk Ape is horrifying

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

stereobreadsticks posted:

Since Halloween is coming up soon and I think it's kind of a shame that this thread isn't so active anymore so I thought I'd post a few of the cryptid photos that always creeped me out as a kid. Not necessarily the most convincing ones or the most interesting ones, just the ones that I thought were scary.

First off, the Skunk Ape, Florida's own redneck bigfoot, which in this famous image looks like what you'd get if an orangutan was creepy.

Holy poo poo I feel old now :gonk: I remember when the Myakka Skunk Ape was the new cryptid on the block, just a few years after chupacabras became fashionable. I just checked and those skunk ape photos are now 20 years old

Here's the original photos, which were sent anonymously to the local police department (the sender identified herself as an old woman who'd had apples stolen from her backyard and went out with a camera one night to try and grab a photo of whatever was taking them)

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Holy poo poo I feel old now :gonk: I remember when the Myakka Skunk Ape was the new cryptid on the block, just a few years after chupacabras became fashionable. I just checked and those skunk ape photos are now 20 years old

Here's the original photos, which were sent anonymously to the local police department (the sender identified herself as an old woman who'd had apples stolen from her backyard and went out with a camera one night to try and grab a photo of whatever was taking them)

Awesome, never realised they was a higher resolution version of that image! Or that there were two!

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

Don't feel too old, if they are 20 years old then I misremembered seeing them as a kid. I would have been at least in high school, if not college when they first came to light.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Huh, yeah I thought I remembered them from the early/mid 90s as well, but this stuff can easily get jumbled up in the ol' memory box.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I thought I remembered them from the early 90s too.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I can totally believe that there is a actual ape that escaped from someones private collection and it was never reported due to it being very illegal to own in those pictures.

I watch a lot of collections of weird and creepy videos and some are really disturbing, like security camera footage of someone being murdered by a cop (its on youtube so you don't actually see that part but you know) or something spooky caught in the background of some twitch streamer or of a kids birthday. But I notice a very common trend among the commenters or just the discussion around these videos is that "Omg they're being trafficked!" or "She's blinking out morse code!" and "That girl looks like one reported missing 30 years ago!" is constantly said about any weird video involving young women. Like there is some gambling site in Eastern Europe and people are constantly thinking the women on their streams dealing cards are all victims of human trafficking and they're all blinking "help me" based on what? Can you read morse code? Do you know how hard it would be to communicate that way? The one instance of the POW blinking "torture" during Vietnam seems to have set a lot of people into thinking this is both easy and common. Even in Lil' Benny Shap's terrible racist fascist book Combat General Brett Hawthorne has him blinking out an incredibly complex message, which would be really, really hard. I think the Qanon poo poo being out there has made conspiracy types see human trafficking everywhere, The problem being that it is a serious problem but with Qanon coopting it, the real people being exploited are being ignored in favor of mole children in secret tunnels under pizza places.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

yeah modern human trafficking and slavery in Australia is super underreported and misidentified because it happens in plain site, and usually involves stripping someone of their passport, giving them a job where most of the money comes back to the slaver, and just letting them live their life with those conditions in place. it's blatant and not at all the "supercriminal hidden conspiracy" that internet wingnuts seem to think it is

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

And finally, we have De Loy's Ape. It's a nonsensical racist hoax that I've talked about in this thread before but it's also a genuinely creepy image of a dead spider monkey propped up in a very unpleasant way.

I had a Time-Life cryptozoology book with that photo and it scared the hell out of me as a kid. What did they do to that monkey to make it so horrible?

Pretty impressive dong though for a non-human primate.

Along the same lines of childhood trauma I'd like to add this drat thing staring out at me from the paperback racks at supermarkets.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

alf_pogs posted:

yeah modern human trafficking and slavery in Australia is super underreported and misidentified because it happens in plain site, and usually involves stripping someone of their passport, giving them a job where most of the money comes back to the slaver, and just letting them live their life with those conditions in place. it's blatant and not at all the "supercriminal hidden conspiracy" that internet wingnuts seem to think it is

Yea, women from poorer parts of the world get promised jobs of being hotel maids or kitchen workers and such in other places, then when they get there, the people who promised them the job strip of them of everything and because they don't speak the language or know the laws, they can't really do much.

These people are all drama obsessed, thinking things are like a movie or something where there's hidden meaning in everything. I don't know if anyone saw the stuff about Kate Yup and her muckbang channel where weird stuff kept happening and people thought she was being forced to make these videos. Thing is she started playing up this theory and added clues into her videos to get people to watch. Sorta a self creating ARG I guess? I do not recomend you searching out her content unless you like watching and hearing someone gorge themselves on seafood.

Knormal posted:

I had a Time-Life cryptozoology book with that photo and it scared the hell out of me as a kid. What did they do to that monkey to make it so horrible?

Pretty impressive dong though for a non-human primate.

Along the same lines of childhood trauma I'd like to add this drat thing staring out at me from the paperback racks at supermarkets.

Ooh I had those Time Life Paranormal books, I found them at a yard sale for like a quarter each.

This scared me as a kid, the cover and then I saw the movie, and the scene where Waulken goes "I know you're there" and the alien pops its head out is one of those things that scared the poo poo out of me for years. But then Patton Oswalt did his Carvell ice cream bit and hearing him say "He won't probe your rectum like the aliens in Whitley Stribers Communion" took the scare out of it.

twistedmentat has a new favorite as of 03:02 on Oct 2, 2021

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

twistedmentat posted:

I can totally believe that there is a actual ape that escaped from someones private collection and it was never reported due to it being very illegal to own in those pictures.

Yeah apparently the anonymous person who took the photos assumed it was an escaped orangutan

quote:

On December 29, 2000, the Sarasota Sheriff’s Department received an anonymous letter with two enclosed photos from a woman purporting to show what her husband believed was an escaped orangutan that had been stealing fruit from their back porch. She never mentioned anything about a Skunk Ape, but the photo clearly shows a large primate that is definitely not an orangutan.

The letter began, “Enclosed please find some pictures I took. My husband thinks it is an orangutan. Is someone missing an orangutan?”

The woman wrote that for two nights it had taken apples her daughter brought down from up north off their back porch. The photos were taken on the third night after she went outside to investigate a repetition of deep woomp noises. She aimed her camera at something that moved in the darkness behind the saw palmetto bushes at the rear of their property. After quickly snapping two photos, each accompanied by a blinding flash, the creature retreated into the woods. The woman wrote that its “awful smell” lasted long after it left the area. She leashed their dog in their backyard and it never returned.

The woman signed-off, “God Bless. I prefer to remain anonymous.”

She wouldn’t give her name, but wrote that the incident occurred on their property near I-75, east of Sarasota in an area that includes the Myakka River and the Myakka State Park. The creature has since become known as the Myakka Skunk Ape.
https://www.westpalmbeach.com/the-skunk-ape/

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Yeah apparently the anonymous person who took the photos assumed it was an escaped orangutan

https://www.westpalmbeach.com/the-skunk-ape/

Florida is totally the place i can imagine alot of exotic animal collections to be, its kinda like the Alien Big Cats of England, which despite the name, are assumed to be pet exotic cats that have escaped from illegal collections and are living in the country side.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Happy Spooky Season, boys and ghouls! I live in Louisville and I was both fascinated and terrified of the Hopkinsville Goblins as a kid. I don't think anything paranormal happened that night, but the commonly accepted explanation (and I admittedly have no better explanation) never sat right with me. I just think it's a little too dismissive and classist to just claim that a bunch of hayseeds got hosed up on moonshine and forgot what owls look like. I'm a city kid who's not exactly used to the kind of wildlife you see when you live by the woods, but I've been drunk at night while camping and I've never mistaken common nocturnal critters as something otherworldly.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

grittyreboot posted:

Happy Spooky Season, boys and ghouls! I live in Louisville and I was both fascinated and terrified of the Hopkinsville Goblins as a kid. I don't think anything paranormal happened that night, but the commonly accepted explanation (and I admittedly have no better explanation) never sat right with me. I just think it's a little too dismissive and classist to just claim that a bunch of hayseeds got hosed up on moonshine and forgot what owls look like. I'm a city kid who's not exactly used to the kind of wildlife you see when you live by the woods, but I've been drunk at night while camping and I've never mistaken common nocturnal critters as something otherworldly.

I watched a recent episode of the cryptid hunting show Expedition X (with Josh Gates, Phil Torres and Jessica Chobot) just to see if they're worth watching and it was an episode about the Van Meter Monster which was allegedly an 8 foot tall winged monster with leathery skin and a long beak and they did the usual thing where they talked to a historian and some recent "witnesses" and stumbled around in the dark at night with flashlights and right at the end of the show they finished up with a voiceover that pretty much went "PS the monster was almost certainly a wood stork or a turkey vulture BYEEEEEE"

It was super underwhelming

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

grittyreboot posted:

One of my favourites, it's a really spooky one.

There's something particularly terrifying about being looked at through a window by something frightening

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

grittyreboot posted:

Yeah that's a bonkers one. I can see where you're coming from. On the one hand I've been spooped by owls at night and I'm sure they've resulted in some "alien" encounters, but on the other hand I can't imagine being holed up in my house for hours terrifiedly shooting at them. :iiam:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i mean at that point i would say it was probably hysteria that was keeping them going. like they do get dismiss a lot and people just go "lol an owl" without factoring that in, but i find it sympathetic.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It was 100% goblins.

Owls aren't real.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I like Josh Gates, he’s always having fun, and clearly wants to believe.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

I like Josh Gates, he’s always having fun, and clearly wants to believe.

I agree, it helps that he doesn't seem to mind saying "keep an open mind, but realistically this is nonsense." Also, his voice sounds exactly like Kermit the Frog.

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!

Barry Foster posted:

One of my favourites, it's a really spooky one.

There's something particularly terrifying about being looked at through a window by something frightening

When our family moved to Wisconsin when I was a teen, the first fall we were here, we rented a cabin up north for a weekend to view the fall colors. Being from Omaha originally, a forest full of trees was a new and exciting place to be. My bed was in the loft of the cabin, which had a big window. In the middle of the night, I was woken up by tapping on the window. When I looked out, I saw 3 or 4 sets of demonic eyes staring at me. I screamed out loud and almost fell out of the loft trying to get away from whatever was going to get me.

In this commotion my dad turned on the lights, including one outside. What I saw outside my window were a bunch of turkeys roosting in a tree. There must have been a reflection of the turkey in the window which annoyed one of the turkeys and caused it to try to communicate or attack the reflection.

Now having experience in rural Nebraska and South Dakota as as kid, I sure knew what turkeys looked like, and had been on a turkey hunt as an observer. What I never knew was that Turkeys can and will roost in trees at night, because I was used to open farm land and prairies, but not wooded areas, and the habits of the creatures that lived in them.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I Also, his voice sounds exactly like Kermit the Frog.

That's just 90% of Americans.

The remaining 10% are much more nasally and whiny

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Toupee Groupie posted:

When our family moved to Wisconsin when I was a teen, the first fall we were here, we rented a cabin up north for a weekend to view the fall colors. Being from Omaha originally, a forest full of trees was a new and exciting place to be. My bed was in the loft of the cabin, which had a big window. In the middle of the night, I was woken up by tapping on the window. When I looked out, I saw 3 or 4 sets of demonic eyes staring at me. I screamed out loud and almost fell out of the loft trying to get away from whatever was going to get me.

In this commotion my dad turned on the lights, including one outside. What I saw outside my window were a bunch of turkeys roosting in a tree. There must have been a reflection of the turkey in the window which annoyed one of the turkeys and caused it to try to communicate or attack the reflection.

Now having experience in rural Nebraska and South Dakota as as kid, I sure knew what turkeys looked like, and had been on a turkey hunt as an observer. What I never knew was that Turkeys can and will roost in trees at night, because I was used to open farm land and prairies, but not wooded areas, and the habits of the creatures that lived in them.

Haha, I woulda poo poo myself too. Great story!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

twistedmentat posted:

Florida is totally the place i can imagine alot of exotic animal collections to be, its kinda like the Alien Big Cats of England, which despite the name, are assumed to be pet exotic cats that have escaped from illegal collections and are living in the country side.

Heck, Florida has a TON of boa constrictors that either escaped or were released from exotic animal collections and now live in the wild: https://www.usgs.gov/centers/fort/s..._center_objects

It's not hard to see other animals like monkeys or tigers also being able to survive in the swamps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
On the topic of invasive species, I think alien big cats are certainly among the most plausible cryptids, and given the occasional body that pops up they are to a certain extent confirmed. That said, I do think it's quite interesting that weird large cats seem to pop up again and again around the world while other weird exotic animals just don't. Maybe a combination of some kind of instinctual fear of large cats inspiring people to interpret things in a certain way and just a huge number of feral cats basically everywhere there are humans, which I can confirm from personal experience can seem much bigger than they actually are (thought I saw a mountain lion once near my brother's old house in rural Nevada, wouldn't have been a cryptid but not exactly a common thing to see, turned out it was just a large feral cat in a field with nothing nearby to provide scale).