Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Instant Jellyfish posted:

What sort of exercise is he getting? An adolescent GSD is going to need both physical exercise and brain exercise daily and 12 hours is a long time to be in a crate during the day, even with a lunch break, unless he's worn out when you're home.

I'm thinking the same. 12 hours a day, plus (I'm assuming) 7-8 hours overnight is a really long time for a young dog to be crated.

I don't want to just say "if you work twelve-hour days, don't get a dog", but... that dog probably needs more time than you're able to give him, and you'll need some help.

If you live alone, maybe you could find a local dogwalker who could take him out occasionally during the day? We used one for our previous dog to great effect. The dogwalker would visit once in the late morning and once in the mid-afternoon. She'd let him out to potty, then take him for a quick walk, and then they'd spend another 10-15 minutes playing.

My dog LOVED it, and it made me feel a lot better about working a 9-5 job. It wasn't cheap, but neither are dogs, and it was worth every penny to have him be much calmer and happier when I got home each day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

WhiteHowler posted:

I'm thinking the same. 12 hours a day, plus (I'm assuming) 7-8 hours overnight is a really long time for a young dog to be crated.

I don't want to just say "if you work twelve-hour days, don't get a dog", but... that dog probably needs more time than you're able to give him, and you'll need some help.

If you live alone, maybe you could find a local dogwalker who could take him out occasionally during the day? We used one for our previous dog to great effect. The dogwalker would visit once in the late morning and once in the mid-afternoon. She'd let him out to potty, then take him for a quick walk, and then they'd spend another 10-15 minutes playing.

My dog LOVED it, and it made me feel a lot better about working a 9-5 job. It wasn't cheap, but neither are dogs, and it was worth every penny to have him be much calmer and happier when I got home each day.

You guys are probably right. I only lost my previous dog 20 days ago today, and I was totally won over in the moment by his friendliness and charm. I went to the shelter telling myself I wanted a mutt under 60 lbs who wasn't too active, met him, and literally just completely forgot everything.

To my credit though, he's "only" crated when I'm gone. At night he sleeps in my room. Obviously that's not really enough to

I feel awful returning a dog that was already at a shelter, anyone in NC want a young GSD who can't handle being alone and might destroy your house while you still in the process of training? :(

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Goddamn, Gobi got bit by another dog at the dog park in almost the exact same situation as last time.

5 other dogs at the park, I knew 4, and one big random fluffy dog belonging to a bunch of people sitting around drinking I’d never seen. Gobi just walked up, they sniffed each other for a second, then it flipped out and pinned him. Bit him on the throat and left him with a cut about a centimeter long. He seems fine, but was moody for a bit behind going to play with the other dogs.

What the gently caress do I do here? He loves the dog park and I love taking him, but I can’t keep doing it knowing some idiot is going to let there dog tear into him once a month.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Goddamn, Gobi got bit by another dog at the dog park in almost the exact same situation as last time.

5 other dogs at the park, I knew 4, and one big random fluffy dog belonging to a bunch of people sitting around drinking I’d never seen. Gobi just walked up, they sniffed each other for a second, then it flipped out and pinned him. Bit him on the throat and left him with a cut about a centimeter long. He seems fine, but was moody for a bit behind going to play with the other dogs.

What the gently caress do I do here? He loves the dog park and I love taking him, but I can’t keep doing it knowing some idiot is going to let there dog tear into him once a month.

Don't take him to the dog park. Or if you see dogs you don't know, leave. It's not worth the risk.
Yeah it sucks, but the risks sucks even more.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Hello thread, i got a puppy

She is 11 weeks and 4 days now. Her mom is a toller, her dad a labradoodle. We brought her home 3 weeks ago. She has settled in nicely, likes doing tricks, is pretty chill in her crate, we get a solid 7 hours of sleep per night, she likes playing with other dogs at puppy class and at the dog park.

Still very mouthy/bitey, and has 2-3 accidents (pee only) a day inside still. We hope this will resolve eventually, she knows to only do #2 outside, no accidents there fortunately, but peeing somehow doesn't click as well.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
We used a log system for ourselves and took note of when accidents happened relative to the previous time our pup had been out. 90% of the time she'd not been out well past her normal breaking point, and when we figured that out we were more vigilant about timing and used the crate confinement -> out to pee -> open play -> confinement cycle to build her ability to hold it.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Well the dog finally figured out she could jump/climb over our yard's fence (5 feet) this morning when she was chasing a squirrel that was scaling it.
I just spent an hour at Lowes buying chicken wire and PVC to extend it upward

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Dictator. posted:

Hello thread, i got a puppy

She is 11 weeks and 4 days now. Her mom is a toller, her dad a labradoodle. We brought her home 3 weeks ago. She has settled in nicely, likes doing tricks, is pretty chill in her crate, we get a solid 7 hours of sleep per night, she likes playing with other dogs at puppy class and at the dog park.

Still very mouthy/bitey, and has 2-3 accidents (pee only) a day inside still. We hope this will resolve eventually, she knows to only do #2 outside, no accidents there fortunately, but peeing somehow doesn't click as well.

Doing that well at 11 weeks? You won the lottery with that good girl :3:

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Doing that well at 11 weeks? You won the lottery with that good girl :3:

generally doing well, but there are moments that are less than ideal. She loves trying to climb the couch and coffee table to grab pillows, blankets etc off there. Almost knocked hot tea over herself. Loves chewing furniture too, no matter how many toys we wave around as a distraction.

We left her alone for 2 hours tonight (crated) as an experiment. Recorded her and she slept for about 1,5 hours and whined for about 5-10 minutes so I think that’s a decent start.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Jarvis is not a fan of the cone.

Fortunately, he does really well with the surgical suit, so he only gets it at night. Even then, it's a soft-sided one so once he settles he's able to pass right out for the night.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Oh no I'm addicted to winning ribbons

She's in heat so she had to wear her dumb pants

We've got lure coursing in a couple weeks, more ribbons for me!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Woo! Nice doggy speedos

SuddenlyAri
Feb 24, 2019

Tinfoil Hat Society
Nyx Destroyer

pik_d posted:

I went out to adopt a mutt today and ended up failing miserably. Meet Bones the (almost certainly) pure German Shepherd.

He's fresh from the shelter, so a bit underweight and I'm not entirely sure how old he is. Best guess is 2 or 3.

I've got a vet appointment in a week, but until then does anyone have any recommendations for food to help him put on some weight in a healthy manner?

Oh my so handsome.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Hello everyone, first time dog owner here. Me and my gf went to the kennel and got a 2 year old mutt. I would say that everything is going good. She still pees inside (but only on rugs, so we can cycle some cheap ones while she doesn't learn to do it outside). Apart from that, she is a bit more active inside the apartment compared to what I was expecting when I met her, but nothing that can't be managed.

The biggest problem we're having is that she starts to whine the moment we leave, even if we just lock ourselves in another room. She doesn't have a destructive behavior, and the whines aren't that loud (no neighbors complaints until now). Still, it breaks my heart to see her like this (and she certainly suffers from seeing us leave). Any advice on trying to get her to be ok being alone?

We've both been working from home, so she doesn't stay alone for too long (one or two hours at most). She's fine when we go to sleep (we don't let her in the bedroom), but sometimes just going to the bathroom she starts to whine. If we leave the house it's much louder. I'm not sure if it's something we just have to deal with until she gets used to it or if we should/must introduce it more slowly. We've tried kong toy with treats right before we leave, but she still whines (although at least after a bit she's more entertained) but right now she's on a strict diet due to bloody poops (due to the change of the food from what she got from the kennel) so we haven't been able to feed her anything other than the food prescribed by the vet.

In general it has been a great experience so far (even if I get a bit anxious trying to do everything right), this is basically a childhood dream come true for me, since my parents never wanted pets.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
She's a sweet looking puppo. Do you crate her at all? I'd say a mix of covering the crate and being treated (like kong) in crate helps. I actually also got my dog a stuffed toy she takes in there, and she has taken my shirts too, you could try that.

Any tips on nail clipping? I was able to do it for a few months but now she just hides her paws. I can pay someone else to do it but I'd like to be able to do it.

Also any harness recs with no plastic buckles?

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

She's a sweet looking puppo. Do you crate her at all? I'd say a mix of covering the crate and being treated (like kong) in crate helps. I actually also got my dog a stuffed toy she takes in there, and she has taken my shirts too, you could try that.

No crate. I live in Portugal, I don't even see them being sold. She did take to her bed well (although she seems to prefer the couch when available. Maybe I should get her a stuffed toy and teach her to take care of it, and I will try the shirts too, thanks!

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

My derpiest coworker is going to surgery tomorrow for a bacteria-filled mystery growth. :(

Wish us luck. I don't know how I'm going to survive 8 hours without a mandatory tug-of-war break. Or those doofy Yoda ears.

Average Lettuce posted:

The biggest problem we're having is that she starts to whine the moment we leave, even if we just lock ourselves in another room. She doesn't have a destructive behavior, and the whines aren't that loud (no neighbors complaints until now). Still, it breaks my heart to see her like this (and she certainly suffers from seeing us leave). Any advice on trying to get her to be ok being alone?

The ASPCA has a very thorough write-up that says almost everything I was going to say, including detailed training strategies.

The one thing I'd really add to it is that for new adoptions, separation issues will often resolve when the dog feels like your home is their home. A lot of separation anxiety literature (including the ASPCA guide) makes it sound like some impossible horrible long-term thing you may never get through, but especially for a new shelter dog it's not uncommon to "settle out of it."

Working with her right now will give her a better quality of life right now. But having problems right now doesn't mean she's going to have problems forever.

Also seconding shirts/pillowcases/whatever else smells like you guys.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Molten Llama posted:

The ASPCA has a very thorough write-up that says almost everything I was going to say, including detailed training strategies.

The one thing I'd really add to it is that for new adoptions, separation issues will often resolve when the dog feels like your home is their home. A lot of separation anxiety literature (including the ASPCA guide) makes it sound like some impossible horrible long-term thing you may never get through, but especially for a new shelter dog it's not uncommon to "settle out of it."

Working with her right now will give her a better quality of life right now. But having problems right now doesn't mean she's going to have problems forever.

Also seconding shirts/pillowcases/whatever else smells like you guys.

Thanks for the link and advice, I think she is slowly more tolerant of us being away day by day, but still has a bit to go. Hopefully it will go away. I will try to do more stuff with the Kong toy, since she has recuperated from her intestinal problems. I've left pieces of our clothing and she seemed to react well to them! We are also considering going to dog training school. Even though she hasn't any serious behavioral problems, I think, as new owners, it will be good for us to better communicate with our dog (I'm kinda excited about it tbh!)

Good luck with the surgery!

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Not sure if this is the best place for this, but wanted to run a situation past other dog folks:

I live in a small condo building. Three units. Common exterior hallways, driveway, and yard. I have a dog and a toddler. Long-time neighbor has a dog (un-neutered). New neighbor just got a dog, and we're a little nervous about it.

New dog is an adult, un-neutered Dogo Argentino. He's a rescue from the Middle East, and his history is basically a big question mark. He's already shown signs of aggression toward long-time neighbor's dog--snapping, I guess.

As a result, long-time neighbor and I are nervous about having to share space with a big, powerful dog that has led a tough life and has already made us feel a bit unsafe. The Dogo's owner has offered to muzzle him while he's on our property, which is good, I guess?

We've read some about territoriality in Dogos, particularly, and we're not sure how well that would jive with so much common space. :sigh:

Dear goons of PI: would you feel comfortable in my shoes, or would you be asking for a bit more, e.g. behavior assessments, training, specific dog safety gear, etc?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
When you say "share space", what do you mean?

Are any of the dogs allowed to roam off-leash in the common areas your housing units share? If so, that's not okay, and it's probably time to talk to the neighbors about requiring dogs to be on-leash at all times if not indoors or in a secure fenced area. In most areas (at least in the USA), the law will back you up on this if the neighbors are hesitant.

My understanding is that the role of neutering dogs to reduce aggression is generally WAY overstated, and that training/socialization/providing a safe and supportive environment is the preferred method. But your neighbors should both neuter their loving dogs anyway, because jesus christ, they're not breeders and the dogs aren't going to notice the difference.

I don't know anything about Dogos specifically, but the answer would be the same regardless of the breeds involved. It's about behaviors, signs of aggression, and what you and the neighbors are willing to do to keep everyone safe.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

WhiteHowler posted:

I don't know anything about Dogos specifically, but the answer would be the same regardless of the breeds involved. It's about behaviors, signs of aggression, and what you and the neighbors are willing to do to keep everyone safe.

this is a terrible answer.

Insanite posted:

Not sure if this is the best place for this, but wanted to run a situation past other dog folks:

I live in a small condo building. Three units. Common exterior hallways, driveway, and yard. I have a dog and a toddler. Long-time neighbor has a dog (un-neutered). New neighbor just got a dog, and we're a little nervous about it.

New dog is an adult, un-neutered Dogo Argentino. He's a rescue from the Middle East, and his history is basically a big question mark. He's already shown signs of aggression toward long-time neighbor's dog--snapping, I guess.

As a result, long-time neighbor and I are nervous about having to share space with a big, powerful dog that has led a tough life and has already made us feel a bit unsafe. The Dogo's owner has offered to muzzle him while he's on our property, which is good, I guess?

We've read some about territoriality in Dogos, particularly, and we're not sure how well that would jive with so much common space. :sigh:

Dear goons of PI: would you feel comfortable in my shoes, or would you be asking for a bit more, e.g. behavior assessments, training, specific dog safety gear, etc?

If the dog is muzzled and leashed, yes. If the dog is let loose and unmuzzled, no. I would absolutely be cheerful about behavioral assessments and maybe make it a group thing. Dog probably needs some loving training.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Get fixed.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

this is a terrible answer.

Owners, Not Breeds, Predict Whether Dogs Will Be Aggressive

Aggressive behaviour is affected by demographic, environmental and behavioural factors in purebred dogs

Breed can absolutely be a factor in whether a particular dog is aggressive, but it's more based on environment, upbringing, and the dice roll of genetics. And I have not seen any studies recommending that you handle aggressiveness particularly differently depending on breed (beyond "smaller dogs often have different anxieties than larger dogs").

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

It seems like we’re going with a strict muzzle and leash approach.

I’m going to try to bring up behavioral evaluation/training, though.

It’s all an awkward situation. The Dogo’s owner misled the rescue org into believing that he was allowed dogs in his apartment when he’s really not. Now that the dog’s here, though, none of us, his landlord included, want to be responsible for putting the guy back into a chain of fosters or worse. Don’t know if that’s a counterproductive sentiment or a good one.

It’s an unusual breed of dog, so I can’t say I have first-hand experience with them, but the sheer size makes even a hint of aggression feel quite high stakes to me—dude’s 100 pounds compared to my dog’s 50 and the other neighbor’s dog’s 30.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Insanite posted:

It’s all an awkward situation. The Dogo’s owner misled the rescue org into believing that he was allowed dogs in his apartment when he’s really not. Now that the dog’s here, though, none of us, his landlord included, want to be responsible for putting the guy back into a chain of fosters or worse. Don’t know if that’s a counterproductive sentiment or a good one.

So the landlord knows about the dog but isn't enforcing the lease? That can be a nasty situation litigation-wise (assuming US) if something were to happen. And a lot of homeowner's insurance forms have dog bite exclusions on breeds. So it's either the landlord or your neighbor on the hook.

In case that changes things.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Yeah, the landlord is following up with their insurance company about that.

Taking shortcuts in dog adoption is complicated, as it turns out. :banjo:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

WhiteHowler posted:

Aggressive behaviour is affected by demographic, environmental and behavioural factors in purebred dogs

Breed can absolutely be a factor in whether a particular dog is aggressive, but it's more based on environment, upbringing, and the dice roll of genetics. And I have not seen any studies recommending that you handle aggressiveness particularly differently depending on breed (beyond "smaller dogs often have different anxieties than larger dogs").

Boar hunting dogs certainly need a different approach then say a scent hound. Goons who are breed experts have had say dog aggressive dogs just follow nature after like 12 years of no problems. Your links are good when it comes to demographically influenced municipal bans and such but sorta fail in particulars like the OP is experiencing.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
Dogos can tear up 120 pound fighting dogs and easily kill medium sized and little ones. I don't know what a breed like that would be doing in the middle east or what the dogs history is, but I would definitely go with better safe than sorry. They do get used by dog fighters, and they're banned in a few countries. If this dog is from a particularly game line, and if it's been badly socialized, this could be a pretty dangerous situation. I would definitely request a muzzle if the neighbor will go for it, and don't let dogs or children around it alone. Odds are the homeowners insurance policy won't cover a dogo but there's a few insurers that don't have any breed specific rules here in the US.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Boar hunting dogs certainly need a different approach then say a scent hound. Goons who are breed experts have had say dog aggressive dogs just follow nature after like 12 years of no problems. Your links are good when it comes to demographically influenced municipal bans and such but sorta fail in particulars like the OP is experiencing.

Gotcha, that's good info, thanks.

The dog behaviorist I've been working with on my dog's separation anxiety mentioned that while breed isn't the number one factor in behavior, CERTAIN breeds need special attention or precautions. She specifically mentioned sight hounds; that prey drive is always there under the surface, and no matter how well-trained they are, one day you might get a "gently caress you mom and dad, I'm going after that squirrel".

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

WhiteHowler posted:

Don't try to talk to me about dogs when you come up with stuff like this, thanks.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

His links are good for the average idiot who knows nothing about dogs other than how to teach them to sit. Dogs follow what we've bred into them for sometimes thousands of years, as you say. There are pit therapy dogs (legitimate ones) that suddenly rip another one apart because of that ingrained instinct simply coming into its own one day. White Howler has probably never even met a dogo. I'd be leery as hell of that dog and would work to stay away from it until a behaviorist has worked out the fuckery going on in its head.

Insanite posted:

It seems like we’re going with a strict muzzle and leash approach.

I’m going to try to bring up behavioral evaluation/training, though.

It’s an unusual breed of dog, so I can’t say I have first-hand experience with them, but the sheer size makes even a hint of aggression feel quite high stakes to me—dude’s 100 pounds compared to my dog’s 50 and the other neighbor’s dog’s 30.

Good. It's definitely counterproductive, but if the dog can be worked with with a behaviorist and the owner is religious about well-fitted muzzle + leash, it should be fine.

For what it's worth, my 100 pound dane kicked the poo poo out of my 30 pound sheltie mutt years ago (they both died within just under two months of each other this year). 30 pound sheltie mutt made it through but it was one hell of a vet bill and an awful struggle.

If he needs help with muzzle recommendations, hit us up.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Don't try to talk to me about dogs when you come up with stuff like this, thanks.

His links are good for the average idiot who knows nothing about dogs other than how to teach them to sit.
Nature is a scientific journal that publishes peer-reviewed studies. I read the entire article and would be happy to discuss specific points with others in this thread. There's some interesting stuff in there (including how they gathered their data, and limitations on the findings).

I promise I won't get surly or dismissive with anyone I disagree with.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

My extremely layperson take on dog breeds is that at the most direct level you have to go "okay this 60 pound dog has teeth and was bred to be a hunter, I should pay extra attention to any signs of aggression and make sure he gets appropriate training". Not to say that you should neglect training the 10 pound yapper, but that's a lot of muscle and aggression to hold back if the big dog decides that something Has To Go.

This also influences how I react to other dogs while walking Apollo - if I see a pitbull coming at me I'm going to feel differently than I would re: a chihuahua. And I actually did see a pittie come at me the other day, fortunately they were on a lead tied to a post so it didn't amount to anything.

Either way all dogs deserve good training and care.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Part of me feels bad, but I feel like I can instinctively tell when I’m somewhere with dogs/owners around who’s dog is going to pop off on other dogs. I hate to stereotype people, but so often I take Gobi on a walk or go to the dog park and see a person with their dog and think “I should be cautious”. About half the time it’s a “pit bull” (I know there’s tons of different breeds and people over use that name).

Just yesterday I took Gobi to a park, and I was staying near him cause some big dogs were around. Some pit type dog ran over and started getting aggressive with the other dogs, and about 30 seconds later his owner came over and was like “okay you’re done” and grabbed him and started pulling him away (with no leash, just by the collar, because apparently they forgot to bring one?). I thought that was that.

Maybe 5 minutes later that save dog came tearing rear end across this huge park and started trying to fight another dog. I look around and his owners were probably 100 yards away sitting on a bench with no idea where their dog was or what it was doing.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

These stories give me sad feelings. We're first time dog owners and so much of this poo poo seems so obvious.

If you're not watching your dog at the park, then you're putting your and everyone else's dog in danger. No matter the size, they're still territorial predators at their core, and a watchful eye is essential.

I guess we're fortunate that the park we prefer to go to has really good people. And the one incident that happened, the offending dog's owner removed him immediately.

Jarvis really likes the other dogs he's encountered there (the 60lb pit girl that flattened him by effectively one inch punching him with her chest, which was hilarious, included), and it would really suck if we couldn't take him there anymore because he or some other dog was acting like an rear end in a top hat.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

My extremely layperson take on dog breeds

And that's fine, but those of us who are not laypeople (is that even a word) left because we cannot possibly tell people they're wrong without bans, probates, and everything else getting heaped on us. So now this thread is full of lousy information, especially when it gets beyond "this is how dogs need to be potty trained" type basic stuff.

It's fine to be a beginner or to just be like "hey I like dogs" but WH's posts are literally harmful in the situation he was responding to.

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Part of me feels bad, but I feel like I can instinctively tell when I’m somewhere with dogs/owners around who’s dog is going to pop off on other dogs.

You're reading body language without realizing you're doing it. That's it. Dogs literally always say when they're about to go for the gold, just not verbally, and people for the most part are poo poo at realizing it. You aren't.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

And that's fine, but those of us who are not laypeople (is that even a word) left because we cannot possibly tell people they're wrong without bans, probates, and everything else getting heaped on us.

There's a difference between disagreeing and picking a fight, though, and you are picking a fight. Knock it off.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Speaking of neighbor dogs in public spaces... earlier today I saw a fairly big (70 pound?) dog wandering around on my street, no owner around, not wearing a collar, my dogs watching him intently from the front windows. A couple of neighbors were out there and one of them was trying to hold onto him, but he's a pretty big and willful dog so it's not working. I went out with a pocketful of treats and a slip lead, and he was very friendly, accepted some treats, let me put the slip lead on him but didn't seem to have any idea that this meant he was now attached to me and was constantly surprised when he couldn't just go wherever. One of the neighbors says she knows what house this dog is from, so we walk up to the house's rear unit, which doesn't have a fence, and there is another big dog outside that barks at us as we walk up. Nobody comes out or responds to us, and we're not about to enter this dog's territory with another possibly-but-not-certainly-related dog neither of us knows, so we instead back off and call the humane society. Spent a chill half-hour sitting by the side of the road with the big goober waiting for them to show up.

Apparently a couple hours later there was a woman outside shouting what seemed like a dog's name, and my partner went out to ask if she was looking for a dog, long story short it was indeed this dog, and she was really upset that we called the humane society. We feel like we did the right thing, as there wasn't really anything else we could do, but it felt pretty bad all around.

What I'm getting at is, PSA, please keep your collars and tags on your dogs! The whole point is that you can't predict when they're going to escape, and this whole situation would have been a lot easier if I could've called someone and felt confident that they'd come by to pick him up or something.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

And that's fine, but those of us who are not laypeople (is that even a word) left because we cannot possibly tell people they're wrong without bans, probates, and everything else getting heaped on us. So now this thread is full of lousy information, especially when it gets beyond "this is how dogs need to be potty trained" type basic stuff.

Let he who hasn't had one of their dogs almost kill another one of their dogs cast the first stone, that's what I always say.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Instant Jellyfish posted:

What sort of exercise is he getting? An adolescent GSD is going to need both physical exercise and brain exercise daily and 12 hours is a long time to be in a crate during the day, even with a lunch break, unless he's worn out when you're home.

WhiteHowler posted:

Just to follow up on this I did end up taking him back, and he's already been adopted again, hopefully by someone/people with his energy level. I'll adopt again but probably a middle aged dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

pik_d posted:

Just to follow up on this I did end up taking him back, and he's already been adopted again, hopefully by someone/people with his energy level. I'll adopt again but probably a middle aged dog.

Good call. I imagine it sucks, but probably the right choice.