Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Generally I find headstrap N95s strike a good balance of looking enough like a "normal" mask to not look too out of place while offering good protection (for me personally I've never had anything approaching a good seal on the earstrap KN95s I have)

These are the ones I wear but I don't think they're available outside of Canada, but I'm sure there's a US equivalent: https://www.rona.ca/en/dent-x-fn-n95-20-pack-disposable-all-purpose-surgical-mask-tbd-10048-330786121

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

COVID SIMULATOR VERSION 5 IS LIVE!

What's new?

Added a system of profits/losses. It mostly just serves as visualization

Added pro/anti vax rallies

Added "U Tube" videos

Virus can now mutate, or you can do it manually

Plus lots of little under the hood stuff and UI improvements.

What's next?
So my goal over the next week, or two, is to slow down a bit on features to really solidify the simulator. Make sure all mechanic stats are editable via text file, improve existing features, more intuitive UI, etc.. hopefully add some more touches like music as well. If I can make the game a super solid simulator, it'll make for a better jumping off point for the cooler features I'd love to add (like air flow mechanics, level editors, more game options like social distancing, etc...). Again though, I want to make this foundation as strong as possible

DOWNLOAD COVID SIMULATOR AT https://coldrice.itch.io/covid-simulator

You can check out the patch notes at https://coldrice.itch.io/covid-simulator/devlog/300357/simulator-version-5-is-alive

also side note, I got a lot of advice from this thread to post in the games forum - but the mods haven't gotten back to me on if its ok to post a thread :(

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Coldrice posted:

COVID SIMULATOR VERSION 5 IS LIVE!

What's new?

Added a system of profits/losses. It mostly just serves as visualization

Added pro/anti vax rallies

Added "U Tube" videos

Virus can now mutate, or you can do it manually

Plus lots of little under the hood stuff and UI improvements.

What's next?
So my goal over the next week, or two, is to slow down a bit on features to really solidify the simulator. Make sure all mechanic stats are editable via text file, improve existing features, more intuitive UI, etc.. hopefully add some more touches like music as well. If I can make the game a super solid simulator, it'll make for a better jumping off point for the cooler features I'd love to add (like air flow mechanics, level editors, more game options like social distancing, etc...). Again though, I want to make this foundation as strong as possible

DOWNLOAD COVID SIMULATOR AT https://coldrice.itch.io/covid-simulator

You can check out the patch notes at https://coldrice.itch.io/covid-simulator/devlog/300357/simulator-version-5-is-alive

also side note, I got a lot of advice from this thread to post in the games forum - but the mods haven't gotten back to me on if its ok to post a thread :(

Goddamn this rules, are you able to customize the workspace? I think that'd be fun for people to model it after their own.

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

Goddamn this rules, are you able to customize the workspace? I think that'd be fun for people to model it after their own.

you can move the stations around, but my plan is to build a legit level editor pretty soon. The actual "data" that is used to generate levels is super basic and simple to work with - BUT I want to round out the mechanics of the simulator as much as I can before I started diving down that rabbit hole

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/malar0ne/status/1444766290812485633

e: lol at the failed American state

https://twitter.com/jillagoldstein/status/1444041474962825219

We get to pay $25/two pack in the land of freedom

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Epic High Five posted:

I think that'd be fun for people to model it after their own.

Well, either fun or extremely depressing.

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

InfiniteZero posted:

Well, either fun or extremely depressing.

If its anything like doomscrolling, it can be both

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Aren't those Binax kits only actually a single "test" because it's only valid when you use the 2nd one to re-test 36 hours later?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Lockdowns are too damaging, we need to limit spread by other means. Except for those other means that actually require people to do things.

Kulldorff is also an anti-vax darling for constantly pushing ""natural" "immunity"". Harvard really knows how to pick 'em.

E: Natural immunity needed more scare quotes.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 3, 2021

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Stickman posted:

Kulldorff is also an anti-vax darling for constantly pushing ""natural" "immunity"". Harvard really knows how to pick 'em.

https://youtu.be/LLR0jg7Xu9M

Bill Burr covers this perfectly. During that whole sneaking into Ivy schools scandal it really revealed just how those schools weren't any harder than a decent state school. Since the kids made it through after getting in. So it's not like genius folk are coming out of these places aside from a select few.

It's just a checkmark for the rich to know who else is rich and connected.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

Aren't those Binax kits only actually a single "test" because it's only valid when you use the 2nd one to re-test 36 hours later?

Yes, and it's utterly irresponsible that that's not printed on the box in massive letters.

They're also pretty trash at picking asymptomatic infection up.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
Are the foreign rapid tests substantially better?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Buckwheat Sings posted:

https://youtu.be/LLR0jg7Xu9M

Bill Burr covers this perfectly. During that whole sneaking into Ivy schools scandal it really revealed just how those schools weren't any harder than a decent state school. Since the kids made it through after getting in. So it's not like genius folk are coming out of these places aside from a select few.

It's just a checkmark for the rich to know who else is rich and connected.

That too, but unfortunately he's not a Harvard alum, he's a full professor. Too be fair he has an extensive biostatistics CV, he's just also a massive piece of poo poo.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

poll plane variant posted:

Are the foreign rapid tests substantially better?

Michael Mina's argument has always been that rapid tests are highly accurate in determining whether or not you are infectious. So they wouldn't necessarily identify an asymptomatic case, but if everyone was using them regularly, then we could quickly curb the spread of the virus. For example, if every school child took a rapid test prior to coming to school, school-based spread would be minimal. If every adult had access to tests and they could take one before going to work or going to the store, spread in those areas would be minimal. I don't think the foreign rapid tests are any different, they just embraced the idea that everyone having access to those tests would be a good idea in general.

I work in a school that provides rapid tests to anyone that believes that they need one, but to get the test done, you have to show up on the campus. A kid that's feeling bad will therefore spend an hour on the bus with 50 others in close proximity, wait in line at the doors while crammed in with many others, go to the nurse and get their test, find out they have covid and they're infectious, then get sent home. If they had the test at home, we could skip all of that, which would clearly be the more reasonable move. But, rapid covid tests are expensive and difficult to find in the US.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
I wonder if we could arrange imports from the UK, where it seems like they're drowning in them, the same as we use Asian respirators.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

If I was going to compare America to another country for "not being a failed state" Britain wouldn't exactly be my first choice

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Americans would refuse to take the rapid test, or make their dog lick it, or take it and get a positive but decline to alter their behavior in anyway.

Scarcity of rapid tests is far from being one of the largest factors keeping America down.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Epic High Five posted:

You only need one if you test positive :pwn:

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

freebooter posted:

If I was going to compare America to another country for "not being a failed state" Britain wouldn't exactly be my first choice

That's what makes America look so much worse

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
To be fair, one of the things that makes Britain seem so terrible is the fact that Brits complain about even the good parts of it relentlessly. It's still Neoliberal Austerity Terf Island though.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Nonpharmaceutical Interventions Remain Essential to Reducing Coronavirus Disease 2019 Burden Even in a Well-Vaccinated Society: A Modeling Study

I think I posted about this one when it was a wee preprint, in Mask-off May.

quote:

Received: 29 March 2021
Editorial decision: 04 August 2021
Accepted: 06 August 2021
Published: 09 August 2021
Corrected and typeset: 06 September 2021

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

poll plane variant posted:

To be fair, one of the things that makes Britain seem so terrible is the fact that Brits complain about even the good parts of it relentlessly. It's still Neoliberal Austerity Terf Island though.

complaining about Britain is the national sport though and the only joy Brits have

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Yeah that's hardly a surprise and the obviously correct course of action/policy.

Regarding that publication specifically, I'm always a bit suspicious of modeling complex systems but I don't have the background to appraise that article and its strengths/flaws.

edit: by which I mean to say computer simulations are highly subject to "garbage in, garbage out" and I can't comment on the strength of the model used.

It will be interesting to see this and other models validated with actual real-world population data.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Oct 4, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

Employer threatening termination if I do not ruin the results of a covid vaccine trial I am currently in [GA] (self.legaladvice)

Last summer (2020) I signed up to be in a SARS-CoV-2 vaccine (phase 3) clinical trial; because I wanted to help further their research to end this pandemic. This vaccine is not one of the 3 currently available to people right now. My trial will end in 2022.

I have worked at the same hospital since 2019, and my supervisor was aware that I signed up to be a part of the trial. She approved, and offered time off should I experience harsh side effects. Last month, our hospital mandated that all employees must get covid vaccinated (at least the first dose) by October 15th or face termination. We could choose any of the 3 publicly available vaccines. (Important: the notice specifically mentions that these three are our only options.)

I thought I would be exempt from this, since my supervisor is well aware that getting another covid vaccination would destroy my results for the trial I’m currently in, and could potentially have a very negative effect on my health (due to a possible adverse reaction between two vaccines in my system). She informed me this week that I am not exempt, and that I must get one of the 3 approved vaccines by October 15th or I will be terminated.

Do I have any recourse against this? She already has all of the official documentation that proves I am indeed in a clinical trial, and have received a covid vaccine. I signed legal documents where I promised not to participate in any other covid vaccine trials, or get any other covid vaccination which would damage the results of study. I would also be putting my health at extreme risk if I did this.

I don’t know what to do, and I really want to keep this job. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Located in Georgia.

quote:

I work in the hospital laboratory as a chemist, and do not interact with any patients. I wear an N95 mask and other PPE at all times while in the lab (as to not contaminate samples), so I pose very little risk to any coworkers or patients.

I’m not sure if this matters in my case or legally, but I wouldn’t be so stubborn if I thought I was actually putting anyone in harms way.

quote:

It’s an adjuvanted recombinant protein vaccine. It is not a blind study, and I did not receive a placebo.

I think that OP has gotten confused about the risk of adverse effects, but here’s what she says on the matter:

quote:

I have spoken with one of the doctors involved in my trial, and she recommended against getting another covid vaccination. I go back in for blood analysis at the start of November, but it will be too late for my job by then.

I’ll try to schedule an emergency appointment through the vaccine coordinators, but that’s usually only for situations of extreme reactions/side-effects.

Of course I understand how vaccines function (I do work in a hospital), but there is not enough data to conclude that mixing vaccinations won’t cause complications; especially with the trial I’m in (since the data has not yet been released, and no such study has taken place).

Anyway, I agree with her in principle, that Novavax’s candidate ought to be sufficient for the purposes of continued employment, but if I were her I would probably just get one of the approved vaccines if a little bit of back and forth with HR wasn’t going anywhere. I wouldn’t be worried about potential adverse effects and I could tell myself that I gave it the old college try, for science.

P.S.: I think OP’s mystery vaccine has to be Novavax, but looking up other candidates I did learn some things about Sanofi’s candidates that I may as well post here.

Sanofi/GSK have an adjuvanted recombinant protein vaccine candidate, and it’s been in phase‐3 trials since the end of May. They’re also studying this as a booster for other companies’ vaccines.

They announced positive results from phase 1/2 trials of their mRNA candidate just last week. e: but “have decided not to pursue the development of our COVID-19 mRNA candidate into a Phase 3 clinical study” They also mention that they’re working on an mRNA influenza vaccine, but who isn’t?

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Oct 4, 2021

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Sanofi abandoned their mRNA vaccine.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Platystemon posted:

I think that OP has gotten confused about the risk of adverse effects, but here’s what she says on the matter:

Anyway, I agree with her in principle, that Novavax’s candidate ought to be sufficient for the purposes of continued employment, but if I were her I would probably just get one of the approved vaccines if a little bit of back and forth with HR wasn’t going anywhere. I wouldn’t be worried about potential adverse effects and I could tell myself that I gave it the old college try, for science.

P.S.: I think OP’s mystery vaccine has to be Novavax, but looking up other candidates I did learn some things about Sanofi’s candidates that I may as well post here.

They announced positive results from phase 1/2 trials of their mRNA candidate just last week. They also mention that they’re working on an mRNA influenza vaccine, but who isn’t?

For what it's worth, this sort of thing is exactly why medical exemptions exist. Assuming the story is accurate, she's currently a poor candidate for vaccination due to legitimate medical reasons, and any system should recognize that. Obviously that system is getting stressed from dealing with all the anti-vaxxers who are alleging false reasons for exemption, but if I were in her place that is the route that I would pursue for legal remedy. Ultimately if the hospital didn't accept the circumstance as a valid medical exemption, and couldn't offer an alternative solution (like working remotely until the trial ended) I would not jeopardize my job in order to stay in the trial, and I'd accept the very low chance of adverse reactions to cross-vaccination.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Sanofi abandoned their mRNA vaccine.

You’re right.

Did I miss that somewhere in the phase 1/2/ results press release or did they only announce that separately?

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

They announced it literally a couple of hours after that press release because they realised no money would be made off it.

:capitalism:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kaal posted:

For what it's worth, this sort of thing is exactly why medical exemptions exist. Assuming the story is accurate, she's currently a poor candidate for vaccination due to legitimate medical reasons, and any system should recognize that. Obviously that system is getting stressed from dealing with all the anti-vaxxers who are alleging false reasons for exemption, but if I were in her place that is the route that I would pursue for legal remedy. Ultimately if the hospital didn't accept the circumstance as a valid medical exemption, and couldn't offer an alternative solution (like working remotely until the trial ended) I would not jeopardize my job in order to stay in the trial, and I'd accept the very low chance of adverse reactions to cross-vaccination.

She can’t be the only person in this situation.

Her point of contact at the trial might be clueless, but it is in Novavax’s best interest to avoid having all the healthcare workers in their trial not drop out this month. Someone higher up has to have a plan for this.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That person's issue is mainly with the study team for telling her to just figure it out instead of engaging their own legal resources.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
I don't disagree, though really hospital employees shouldn't require external lawyers to navigate a vaccination mandate. Unions haven't been doing well with these mandates, and have largely focused on resisting them wholesale rather than helping their members figure them out, but this sort of issue should be where they have a major role.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Oct 4, 2021

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Less than 15% of US healthcare workers have unions. Maybe a bit more in hospitals, but probably still significantly under half.

Never underestimate how absolutely hosed America is.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
https://twitter.com/nytimesworld/status/1444981894521704450

NZ (and Singapore) both giving up on zero-COVID strategies, China is last major country to keep pursuing that.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Fritz the Horse posted:

https://twitter.com/nytimesworld/status/1444981894521704450

NZ (and Singapore) both giving up on zero-COVID strategies, China is last major country to keep pursuing that.

Yep, inevitable. China too will follow at some point. Good on New Zealand for doing so well for so long.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Platystemon posted:

It's really not a big deal, they will get better immunity from getting boosted, with almost certainly no significant adverse reaction. And the trial will just censor that one data point on their K-M curves and carry on regardless. Maybe enough censoring happens that they don't reach their endpoint, but that's kinda tough poo poo if you don't bring your trial onstream quickly enough.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Thank god, the last holdouts against dying for the Dow have capitulated, it's the end of history and the perfect politicoeconomic system has arrived.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

VitalSigns posted:

Thank god, the last holdouts against dying for the Dow have capitulated, it's the end of history and the perfect politicoeconomic system has arrived.

How is this hot take related to the news from NZ, did you read the article or other similar reporting?

NZ has been under strict lockdown for almost 50 days, it didn't work. Similar story from Singapore. They're giving up on zero COVID strategies because their lockdowns have failed to stop the spread of Delta. Nowhere in the reporting is talk of open er up to appease the stock market or whatever, it's literally that the lockdowns are not effective so they're giving up. It sounds like the population of NZ has largely been on board with the strict lockdowns until recently when they weren't being effective in stopping this outbreak. The lockdowns were limiting spread, absolutely, but they weren't getting back to zero cases.

Of note in the NZ reporting is that much of the spread seems to be in marginalized groups - gangs, transitional housing or unhoused people, minorities, other groups that avoid authorities and law enforcement.

quote:

Despite New Zealand going into the strictest form of lockdown after just a single local case was detected, it ultimately wasn’t enough to crush the outbreak entirely.

One factor may have been that the disease spread among some groups that are typically more wary of authorities, including gang members and homeless people living in transitional housing.

https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus-pandemic-business-health-new-zealand-auckland-829fc4cd04e68e9e3b264ac03418aeaf

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
If only there were a choice between pursuing zero COVID and doing so little that hospitals get overwhelmed and cancer patients can't get their treatment...

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

PT6A posted:

If only there were a choice between pursuing zero COVID and doing so little that hospitals get overwhelmed and cancer patients can't get their treatment...

Yeah, it would be cool if such a middle ground would exists. But it doesn't. Either R is below 1 and the disease is dying out, or it's above one and there's an exponential increase. Continuously changing the rules on a dynamic basis to keep it at 1 have failed in the past, because the population can't really keep up with constant adjustments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

cant cook creole bream posted:

Yeah, it would be cool if such a middle ground would exists. But it doesn't. Either R is below 1 and the disease is dying out, or it's above one and there's an exponential increase. Continuously changing the rules on a dynamic basis to keep it at 1 have failed in the past, because the population can't really keep up with constant adjustments.

COVID tends to come in waves though, so 'continuously changing the rules' tends to mean introducing restrictions / lockdowns and keeping them in place for weeks or more likely months, not tweaking things day by day or anything, and then removing them slowly over a long period of time as well. Even delta can be kept under control with good vaccination levels and relatively moderate NPIs.

Like this is the exact approach that NZ took with having lockdown stages, it's just that Delta may force the target to be "keep healthcare systems from getting overwhelmed" vs. "get to zero covid cases"

Definitely there have been issues with a lot of places of being too slow to institute restrictions and too fast to remove them, but that's a solvable problem (or at least at least as solvable as convincing governments / populations to pursue a covid zero strategy).