Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

its called a governor and its bullshit and is responsible for one semi truck going 64.78 mph passing another truck going 64.52 mph where it takes 25 minutes for the pass to complete on a 2 lane interstate

driving on roads isn't like nascar, you don't have to pass people to win the race. also, if they are only going .2mph slower than you want to go, what good does passing them do? anyway just set the governor limit to like 10mph above the highest speed limit so you get a little wiggle room, whatever. there is no reason cars should be able to go over 100mph

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

lobster shirt posted:

lol one time i was driving home from the store, coming down the street i live in, i saw somebody pull out of a driveway, go down like four houses, and pull into that driveway and get out of their car. absolutely insane car brain, like the distance traveled was hardly enough to get that vehicle going faster than walking speed probably.

One of my buddies was telling me yesterday that his coworker has a nice new sprinter van, which he drives four blocks to work every day. When I asked why the guy didn't walk my friend was like well I'm sure he's got a good reason...

Four loving blocks.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

yard salad posted:

my in-laws live in a surprisingly walkable small town, but will never walk the 5 mins to the grocery store. they prefer to drive 40 minutes into the city Costco. meanwhile, my wife’s 95-year old Grandmother, in the same small town, is still driving every day. we once found out she’d been driving without brake fluid.

you can take people out of the car culture, but you’ll never take the car culture out of the people. unfortunately years of car dependency have rendered them unable to walk safely for more than a few minutes.

I’ve heard versions of this here more times than I can easily recall, and my father’s father when he was near the end of his life was rocking around his lovely rural Texas town in an enormous maroon late-80s Cadillac without brake fluid and with like a quart or less of oil remaining in the reservoir.

it was completely impossible to get his license revoked without also committing him to a care home (not that a revocation would have helped thoughts about maintenance not slide out of his brain), which eventually we had to due to my father valuing his father (also his marriage and the remains of his relationship with his three kids) less than being a volunteer border-watch CHUD in the late aughts

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Norton posted:

there is no reason cars should be able to go over 100mph

running from the cops.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I support ~80mph governors as long as people in the left lane get auto ticketed for not passing

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

zegermans posted:

Same size bed

lmfao cars delenda est

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

zegermans posted:

Same size bed

male fragility claims that it doesn't exist yet the forces that shape and dictate it are right here :911:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

indigi posted:

I support ~80mph governors as long as people in the left lane get auto ticketed for not passing

im passing that guy up ahead up there. no reason for me to weave back and forth between lanes over and over, ill just stay right here thanks, constantly passing the next slow guy up ahead. somewhere up there

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

it’s not like I was unaware of size creep in pickups over the years, that’s just hilariously stark with the bed-size fact laid out

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Lastgirl posted:

male fragility claims that it doesn't exist yet the forces that shape and dictate it are right here :911:

that's actually gravitational lensing from the giant loving useless piece of poo poo truck

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

you need the huge pickup if you're also hauling a boat or camper, but well the smaller one can do that too so you need to go out and get a BIGGER boat or camper. next thing you know you're paycheck to paycheck on like 250k a year and clamoring for full fascism now as the world inches you closer to precarity

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

zegermans posted:

Same size bed

rofl

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

zegermans posted:

Same size bed

Thanks I hate it

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

I'll never understand how I'm barely able to cover my mortgage and my $230/month payment on my honda insight and every day I drive home while being tailgated by the absolute shittiest rural white people who happen to have 40k jeep wranglers, why is their life easy

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

is it generational wealth from 100 years of farm subsidies?

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
They have an 84 month payment scheme and are upside down on their wranglers, yes. Plus their houses are super cheap, being in really lovely rural areas, so they spend all their income on a dumb vehicle.

When it's a big bro truck it's a farm vehicle and it's subsidized. As is everything else in their life.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

A mix of people who got a cheap home in 1950 and turned that into a huge amount of wealth when they downsized and moved to the middle of nowhere, just straight up being way over their heads in debt getting it on like 96 month payment plans, and the rural petit of WFHers and local bigwig families that've been collecting rent on every plot they've had in the family since like 1830 and adopting a rural affect Don Jr style

There's a huge population of insanely poor people in these places, the wealth they create has gotta go somewhere after all

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

generational wealth is present in a fairly limited number of families relative to the population, and all of Anglophone society is structured around stripping what of it is left and further concentrating it

surely that can’t be the whole story, but I too am at a loss to explain how all the most garbage people manage to afford both living and prosthetic-self-esteem vehicles

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Norton posted:

why don't cars have some sort of limiter that prevents them from going over 80mph or whatever? like yeah you can still speed on most roads and accelerate like a jerk, but the crazy people going 100+ past me on the highway should not even be possible. our solution for this is having cops set up sneaky traps all over the roads, presumably to maximize the number dangerous traffic stops I guess.

there is no horse power or speed limit on any car??? the only thing stopping people from driving around at 260 mph with bugatti veyrons is the money, it's insane.

That's dumb as gently caress with the same liberal logic of trying to make guns "safer" by not allowing bayonet lugs or whatever. A car on a well designed and maintained road can safely go 100+. If you find that dangerous, then you shouldn't drive at all and you not being on the road will improve safety for everyone. Thanks in Advance!

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

mm yes consider for a moment a perfectly spherical car traveling on a frictionless plane in a vacuum

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

zegermans posted:

Same size bed

thanks, that was the pic I was looking for!

btw here's some info on freeway lids. this is one being proposed to go over 94 in the area that was probably the most destroyed by the freeway.

Apparently Seattle just approved lids to cover the segment of I-5 that goes over downtown. They are currently working on a lid in another area to be done by 2024, then will do the I-5 one which should be done in 2030 (lol)

https://www.planetizen.com/news/2021/09/114797-seattle-freeway-lid-expected-2030

And the proposed one in Atlanta (see bottom of page) would be dope as hell

https://reconnectrondo.com/landbridge/

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 17:35 on Oct 4, 2021

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
it debt and cheap living areas. in the UP every single person seems to have a big rear end truck, they make a household income of like 30k, but their house payments are about 40 cents a month

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

That's dumb as gently caress with the same liberal logic of trying to make guns "safer" by not allowing bayonet lugs or whatever. A car on a well designed and maintained road can safely go 100+. If you find that dangerous, then you shouldn't drive at all and you not being on the road will improve safety for everyone. Thanks in Advance!

wrong bitch

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

you shouldn't drive at all

same, but for everyone that’s why we’re all here in the car hate thread

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

you are trolling right?

what country are you living in where the roads are well designed and well maintained and never have any debris or other bad drivers on them? are you arguing that speed limits should be removed or what? do they even do crash tests over 75mph? what metric are you using to determine what is safe?

i think you need to check out this puzzle and see if you can solve it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3D7XYQExt0

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
they get loans

who the gently caress do you think is driving these things?

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

idk, the autobahn pretty much proves this

americans can't regulate themselves despite how hard and mad they holler about that

car culture is uniquely american because of how its implemented. "country's too big" no poo poo, you designed it this way and yet cars are still a problem in terms of relative density~

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

they could be perfectly safe for everyone and still be completely unacceptable due to poisoning the biosphere, lol

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

zegermans posted:

Same size bed

i hate car companies so much the people who drive the chud sleds suck poo poo at parking all I want is something the size of a late 90s ranger so I can haul poo poo when I need to with fancy modern poo poo in the engine so I get decent milage

i hope the economy of my state crashes again so I can watch all the trucks go on sale for dumb prices that get steadily lower as they realize just how much deep poo poo they're in

QUEER FRASIER
May 31, 2011

i say swears online posted:

new england (or at least the providence-boston area) has the worst drivers on the goddamn planet. they especially don't deserve their cars and those places actually have functional mass transit

you know where it's fun to drive? nigeria. i saw a policeman do a perfect pirouette and smash a window out with the butt of his rifle because the guy ahead of me went up on the sidewalk to take a right on red

it's actually easier than in the states, because everyone has their windows down and communicates with eyes, shouting and honking. it rules

yeah it’s pretty remarkable not only how car-centricity makes people into complete idiots, but also how the more car-centric a place is the worse drivers it produces. In NYC the streets are so jam-packed that driving involves constant communication, improvisation, and generally resourceful use of street space. Every time I go back to ohio, where there’s basically 5x the amount of road per car, all the highways have ten more lanes than they need, every piece of the road is clearly demarcated and labeled, and yet if ANYTHING goes wrong or anything unpredictable happens everyone’s brain completely backfires and nobody knows what to do

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

what do you need to go 100 mph for

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

I live right next to the fastest road in the US with a limit of 85mph. It was cool for about a year but at only two lanes per side it's been destroyed by trucks and has thousands of potholes patched over and over

otoh I drove with my german foreign exchange student on the autobahn and 120mph feels like butter in german engineering. he races porsches now

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

SKULL.GIF posted:

because the faster you drive, the less time you have to drive

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Norton posted:

why don't cars have some sort of limiter that prevents them from going over 80mph or whatever?

cars should have a limiter that allows them to get to 30mph pretty quickly, then climb steadily to 60mph over 30 seconds, then further limit acceleration so that it takes 120 seconds of sustained gas to climb from 60 to 80

they should also automatically steer towards cliffs unless the driver screams "i'm sorry!" as loudly as possible into the dashboard

Polo-Rican has issued a correction as of 18:31 on Oct 4, 2021

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Instead of self driving cars with complicated and poorly engineered vision recognition systems, why not just put a magnetic strip or something down highways for cars to follow, use lidar, and setup a traffic control agency to monitor conditions and enforce highway self driving/no self driving zones.

This doesnt seem to be as hard a problem as the tech bros make it out to be?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I watched a little red sedan almost vaporize itself when the driver got impatient and passed a car on a two-lane, no-passing country road right as a UPS truck was coming around the bend. UPS truck swerved just in time. Everyone else slammed on brakes. Car sped off and disappeared. Everyone nearly died, but we didn't, so it was just a normal drive. This is how lots of drives go. "We nearly died, but we didn't." That probably should have been the most important part of my day ("I almost died today"), but it happens constantly so I actually forgot about it until just now.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

when I was a teen, someone cut me off on an onramp, fishtailed across four lanes of highway and flipped a lil car on its roof. I cut an upside-down woman out of her seatbelt with a knife, flipped off the smoking wreck of the jackass who passed me, and then went home to watch king of the hill. just another day

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

zegermans posted:

Same size bed

lmao what the gently caress

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Norton posted:

why don't cars have some sort of limiter that prevents them from going over 80mph or whatever? like yeah you can still speed on most roads and accelerate like a jerk, but the crazy people going 100+ past me on the highway should not even be possible. our solution for this is having cops set up sneaky traps all over the roads, presumably to maximize the number dangerous traffic stops I guess.

there is no horse power or speed limit on any car??? the only thing stopping people from driving around at 260 mph with bugatti veyrons is the money, it's insane.
this defeats the only good purpose of cars which is sending rich people into poles at 200 loving miles per hour, disintegrating them in a raging conflagration

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Blockade posted:

Instead of self driving cars with complicated and poorly engineered vision recognition systems, why not just put a magnetic strip or something down highways for cars to follow, use lidar, and setup a traffic control agency to monitor conditions and enforce highway self driving/no self driving zones.

This doesnt seem to be as hard a problem as the tech bros make it out to be?

that's a great idea. i bet you could even connect the cars together for people who were going to the same destination to make it easier.