Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

Things are going great for your country when the military has to be drafted to drive trucks for civilian gas lol Britain is gonna do great against functioning countries like China

Listen here motherfucker we are going to sell the poo poo out of our mansions to your government and there's nothing you can do about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Or any of us for that matter

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Aidan_702 posted:

I used to work in Estates in a Uni and these constantly had to be upgraded/replaced so I don't really think that means anything :shrug:

This is a primary school with maybe a hundred pupils, I doubt they have much internal use for a UPS of any capacity.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I dunno what's preferable to be honest, a sudden collapse like the Soviets (where all the disaster capitalists rush in and buy everything up), or a gradual collapse like we're in now (where all the disaster capitalists rush in and buy everything up).

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Al-Saqr posted:

Things are going great for your country when the military has to be drafted to drive trucks for civilian gas lol Britain is gonna do great against functioning countries like China
proud and independent Britane is, in a decade or two (or three), either going to be absorbed by a larger bloc, conquered for arable land, or razed; no-one will weep for it

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

goddamnedtwisto posted:

This is a primary school with maybe a hundred pupils, I doubt they have much internal use for a UPS of any capacity.

You can look up Planned Service Interruptions and outages on the UKPN website here;

https://www.ukpowernetworks.co.uk/power-cut/map

Looks like there was an outage on the Isle of Dogs earlier today? From memory you're around that way.

For clarity - the way that fines are calculated by Ofgem for outages means that DNO's are absolutely incentivised to use generation to backfeed customers and keep lights on. £13 for each UPRN off, £15/hour for every hour after that stacks up quickly, especially in incredibly built up environments. Might have been that there was an outage, they've backfed from generators and then fixed the main fault?

Total Meatlove fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Oct 4, 2021

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

keep punching joe posted:

I dunno what's preferable to be honest, a sudden collapse like the Soviets (where all the disaster capitalists rush in and buy everything up), or a gradual collapse like we're in now (where all the disaster capitalists rush in and buy everything up).

It's the former.

A long slow collapse just gives people time to adapt to reality. With a more sudden collapse there's at least the prospect of breaking point being reached

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
At least all of the decaying soviet era architecture has an ephemeral beauty to it, we're stuck with the deflation of the millennium dome and whatever 20,000 student accommodation towers will melt into.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

At what point is filling up the tank not ‘panic buying’? Didn’t fill up last week as had 3/4 a tank. Got just over half now, I don’t usually let it go much below a half, but am slightly worried as I’m in the south east and everyone I know is having fuel troubles, and my town is ridiculously over subscribed for every service so I can’t see it easing here soon. Don’t want contribute to the problem either though.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Fill er up, chaos reigns.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Lady Gaza posted:

At what point is filling up the tank not ‘panic buying’? Didn’t fill up last week as had 3/4 a tank. Got just over half now, I don’t usually let it go much below a half, but am slightly worried as I’m in the south east and everyone I know is having fuel troubles, and my town is ridiculously over subscribed for every service so I can’t see it easing here soon. Don’t want contribute to the problem either though.

If you're filling around the time you'd normally fill it then I think you can safely say you're not panic buying.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Okay I'm going to go absolutely 100% :tinfoil: here because there's a lorry with a crane dropping what looks a *lot* like an industrial backup generator into the car park of the school on my estate - the box itself is unmarked (looks like a shortened ISO container) but it is the exact dimensions and has the same side doors as the ones my company uses for temporary backup when working on the UPS at our smaller data centres.

Now it could just be a coincidence and this is just some temporary storage for some building work or something but at this point in history I'm going to assume someone's dusting off some plans last updated around 1994.

Enjoy your visit to the internationally recognised sovereign territory of Egypt.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ALDI brand too, looks like.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Jakabite posted:

Im out of the U.K. on mainland europe right now and let me say, the euros are finding our woes absolutely hilarious. I really can’t blame them.

A slight aside but my wife has been watching France 24 for the past couple of years and the quality of it is far better than any UK news channel (even channel 4 which i quite like)

You often get a perspective on what's going on in the UK that you won't get on a UK news channel.

And they cover international stuff way more. Like they covered the Tory party reshuffle the other day... when was the last time the BBC talked about a reshuffle in the republic of loving anywhere

They have it on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKWsY1tt8qw

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/peterwalker99/status/1445006225729630209
https://twitter.com/peterwalker99/status/1445008839741427720
Big lol that the Beeb's reward for years of groveling and tacking to the right is to be at the mercy of Nadine Dorries, who's such an unthinking true believer in culture war poo poo that she can't ever be appeased.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The container is the new classroom they are installing.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You know who else wrote a bestselling book.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Lol if the BBC gets taken out by the Tories.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Total Meatlove posted:

You can look up Planned Service Interruptions and outages on the UKPN website here;

https://www.ukpowernetworks.co.uk/power-cut/map

Looks like there was an outage on the Isle of Dogs earlier today? From memory you're around that way.

For clarity - the way that fines are calculated by Ofgem for outages means that DNO's are absolutely incentivised to use generation to backfeed customers and keep lights on. £13 for each UPRN off, £15/hour for every hour after that stacks up quickly, especially in incredibly built up environments. Might have been that there was an outage, they've backfed from generators and then fixed the main fault?

Assuming it *is* the same model we use (see below though) it's about 500kW peak output and about 400ish maximum sustained output - a hefty bit of kit but not "Power an entire council estate" levels of juice. Also the school would be a weird place to put it - the substation for the estate is a hundred or so yards away with a convenient park right next to it.

Digging around though, they're doing a big maintenance job on the CHAP system that provides district heating for that part of the estate next week and the boiler room for that is just across the road from the school, so it's possible that this is actually related to that, the notice mentions two weeks of work but no outage to the heating and hot water so maybe this is some sort of temporary replacement boiler for that and they're just storing it there until the start of the work.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
The BBC is basically a Tory mouthpiece that includes token and insincere "both sides" sentences here and there. I guess nobody respects a groveller.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Oh dear me posted:

I have to have a low fat, high protein and calcium diet for medical reasons, so I drink skimmed milk by the gallon, and it is lovely thank you, as well as being literally a lifesaver. :colbert:

Then make sure to keep on doing that! :rock:

Eararaldor
Jul 30, 2007
Fanboys, ruining gaming since the 1980's

Flayer posted:

The BBC is basically a Tory mouthpiece that includes token and insincere "both sides" sentences here and there. I guess nobody respects a groveller.

Is it really grovelling when their political pundits are all Tory plants?

Just off the top off my head:
Nick Robinson (Founding member of Young Conservatives)
Sarah Sands (Was a loving Editor of the Telegraph and now in charge of the BBC flag ship Today program)
They are all Tory's

I mean that's not even mentioning the ex journalists that ended up getting jobs working for the Tory's after their stints on the BBC.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

stev posted:

If you're filling around the time you'd normally fill it then I think you can safely say you're not panic buying.

I've filled up three times since the start of the Petrol Crisis I think.

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

Flayer posted:

The BBC is a mouthpiece on most issues but they aren't bigoted enough for the tory base.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
:ironicat:

quote:

Dorries faced criticism in 2013 for employing two of her daughters as staff in her parliamentary office at a cost of up to £80,000.
x

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

The BBC is a mouthpiece on most issues but they aren't bigoted enough for the tory base.

that's not from lack of trying

it's because the tory base can't actually be swayed

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I still think that the BBC is a far more effective propaganada tool as it is, with the air of "neutrality"

If it goes goes full GB News then I think it would probably be less convincing, the wedge needs a narrow end.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I like that Twisto's endless vague mutterings about things 'round my way' means I've narrowed down where he lives to basically 2x 50m2 areas.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Or in London terms 80,000 people.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

A slight aside but my wife has been watching France 24 for the past couple of years and the quality of it is far better than any UK news channel (even channel 4 which i quite like)

You often get a perspective on what's going on in the UK that you won't get on a UK news channel.

And they cover international stuff way more. Like they covered the Tory party reshuffle the other day... when was the last time the BBC talked about a reshuffle in the republic of loving anywhere

They have it on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKWsY1tt8qw

Can agree. I'm trying to learn French at the moment and when I'm not faffing about in Duolingo (Somehow did 35 hours last week Oo) I have France 24 on for passive listening. Sometimes I watch it when having my dinner and while I can't fully understand it yet, its been interesting to watch the UK and international coverage.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Okay I'm going to go absolutely 100% :tinfoil: here because there's a lorry with a crane dropping what looks a *lot* like an industrial backup generator into the car park of the school on my estate - the box itself is unmarked (looks like a shortened ISO container) but it is the exact dimensions and has the same side doors as the ones my company uses for temporary backup when working on the UPS at our smaller data centres.

Now it could just be a coincidence and this is just some temporary storage for some building work or something but at this point in history I'm going to assume someone's dusting off some plans last updated around 1994.

One great benefit of brexit is that it gives us a useful preview of what the whole world is going to be like, permanently, once climate change-induced shortages of absolutely everything start to bite in a few years

Shame that nobody will learn absolutely anything from it though

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

kingturnip posted:

I like that Twisto's endless vague mutterings about things 'round my way' means I've narrowed down where he lives to basically 2x 50m2 areas.

I've given away enough information over the years to narrow it down to one of about 50 houses, you're slacking.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Also someone at Facebook is getting sacked because it looks like they've just crashed their entire network - routes to it keep appearing and disappearing at random and it's causing big enough issues that some internet exchanges have blackholed them altoghether.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I had assumed you were some sort of angry genius loci of tower hamlets that will not stop posting until canary wharf is cast down.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Hah, I came to the exact same realisation as I was talking to someone else about this - thinking this government has plans for *anything* beyond this:

is the real insane conspiracy.

e: Lol I decided to try an attachment for literally the first time ever because I happened to have the image already on my hard drive and now I can't remove it, so have the same image again, for free:

Reviving this gif I made:

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Also someone at Facebook is getting sacked because it looks like they've just crashed their entire network - routes to it keep appearing and disappearing at random and it's causing big enough issues that some internet exchanges have blackholed them altoghether.

Yeah, WhatsApp has been dead for the last 30 minutes too

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Hasnt a major DNS just shat the bed? Although saying that pretty much everything else works.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

WhatEvil posted:

Reviving this gif I made:

At least the monorail actually got built.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

serious gaylord posted:

Hasnt a major DNS just shat the bed? Although saying that pretty much everything else works.

Nobody can get to Facebook's DNS servers because nobody can get to Facebook's network. It's not impossible there's a more general DNS issue but that's more likely to be symptom rather than cause.

e: Ironically I can't really get any more info because the people I know who'd actually know for certain I normally communicate with over Whatsapp. I know I could text them but it's not 1999 any more.