Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

Cicero posted:

I bought a couple actual arcade cabinet DDR pads this last weekend like the insane nerd that I am. Now I need to figure out a setup for the non-pad bits.

Hell yeah I'm about to pull the trigger on a C1 and one of the reasons that pushed me over the edge was being able to play IIDX at 120hz

garfield hentai fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Sep 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Probably going to pull the trigger on a 65” C1 from Costco in October.

Anything I should be aware of beforehand?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

How much your life is dull and boring now and that it will change once you have the C1.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Your Costco runs will all be about 5-15 min shorter too, as you no longer have to stand in front of the OLED display sighing wistfully.

e: I am really glad someone brought up https://www.biaslighting.com/products/medialight-mk2-flex-6500k-cri-98-bias-lighting before I wall mounted the tv. It's made a big upgrade to our viewing experience

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I am definitely getting a new TV this Black Friday. Either a LGC1 83in or a Sony A90J 83in. I just moved into a new house that has proper space for a media set up. Eventually, I'd like to have a full Atmos set-up going with in-ceiling speakers. An important question I need to figure out is what receiver I need.

I know there was a huge mess with HDMI 2.1 120hz for gaming earlier in the year. I've read that has since been resolved. Is that universally true or are there only certain models/brands that are safe to get?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

LG 65" A1 $1,597 shipped - includes $100 GC

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Megasabin posted:

I know there was a huge mess with HDMI 2.1 120hz for gaming earlier in the year. I've read that has since been resolved. Is that universally true or are there only certain models/brands that are safe to get?

It has not been resolved [there is still broken hardware in the channel] and as of now Onkyo/Integra/Pioneer are the only "safe" models to get but they're backordered forever like everything else. The Onkyo 7100 seems like the best value proposition because it's the cheapest model with Dirac.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

qirex posted:

It has not been resolved [there is still broken hardware in the channel] and as of now Onkyo/Integra/Pioneer are the only "safe" models to get but they're backordered forever like everything else. The Onkyo 7100 seems like the best value proposition because it's the cheapest model with Dirac.

Apparently Denon ninja released a model into Costco that has 3 HDMI 2.1 40Gbps support that avsforum is reporting works with VRR, etc.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Saw that yesterday browsing their HDMI 2.1 thread. Model number is S760H. Didn't show up when I searched for it online. People are spotting them in stores though. Price is $399.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Cheap as gently caress.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

That’s weird when they’re still selling a $3500 marantz with 1 40gpbs port.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Possibly (probably) dumb question about bias lighting:

Is there any actual advantage to responsive bias lighting? It looks cool as hell to me in a dumb way, but a part of me assumes it would actually just cost more and maybe even defeat the purpose?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Tony Phillips posted:

Possibly (probably) dumb question about bias lighting:

Is there any actual advantage to responsive bias lighting? It looks cool as hell to me in a dumb way, but a part of me assumes it would actually just cost more and maybe even defeat the purpose?

Cost more than what and defeat the purpose of what?

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

BonoMan posted:

Cost more than what and defeat the purpose of what?

Cost way more than standard bias lighting and not actually help with contrast?

Edit - it's very possible I'm using the wrong term. I'm wondering about bias lighting that color matches the content on the screen vs. white only.

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 28, 2021

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

qirex posted:

Thanks. This sounds like it's gonna be a huge pain in the rear end. Is there a place that lists all the safe purchase options in terms of model #'s and such. Thanks!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Megasabin posted:

Thanks. This sounds like it's gonna be a huge pain in the rear end. Is there a place that lists all the safe purchase options in terms of model #'s and such. Thanks!

There's a painfully long AVS thread but the OP is pretty good about updating the first post and all the info in there is from people who actually tried stuff. Apparently newer Denons are working at 40gbps.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Tony Phillips posted:

Cost way more than standard bias lighting and not actually help with contrast?

Edit - it's very possible I'm using the wrong term. I'm wondering about bias lighting that color matches the content on the screen vs. white only.

Ah..

1.) It will cost more.

2.) It serves a different purpose.

The multi-colored screen-matching bias lighting is mostly just about entertainment and a fun (if gimmicky) extra bit of immersion. I think it's awesome! And probably does serve to help alleviate eye strain/maybe adds some contrast.

The pure white bias lighting is mean to serve the eye-strain/contrast issue first and it's elegant looks come second.

So really it's what sort of function do you want... but to be clear the multi-colored one isn't really seen as like... "the next step" over white bias lighting. It serves a totally different purpose.

It's the "fun uncle trying to slip you a beer" vs "the mom who is trying to get you to eat you your veggies because she knows what's actually good for you"

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 28, 2021

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
It’s that time of year again, when LG OLEDs go on sale and I tempt myself with questionable financial decisions.

One thing that consistently pulls me back from the ‘Buy’ button is that I have a pretty decent TV as is - 55” 2017 TCL P605, which has really been a bang-for-the-buck champion during the 4 years I’ve had it.

I’d like to move up to a 65” LG C1, but I can’t help but feel like that’s a lot of money to spend on a relatively marginal upgrade over what I’ve already got.

What do you all think? Worthwhile upgrade, or better to hold out another year or two*?

*This is almost certainly what I’ll actually be doing, but I’m curious to get some outside opinions.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Heh I have a B7 OLED and I'm considering upgrading. What's holding me back is the lack of hdmi 2.1 receivers. Once those are more prevalent at a decent cost, I'll upgrade.

I do think the OLED is a good bit better than the TLC, but I'm not sure it's a massive difference unless you're going all 2.1.

Also I want to go from 65" to 77".

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Space Racist posted:

It’s that time of year again, when LG OLEDs go on sale and I tempt myself with questionable financial decisions.
Honestly hold off to see if the G1 panel improvements filter down the line, or maybe if they get the Q-OLED thing working and it's good.

Though, personally, I enjoy looking at an image and going "Is there anything else I can do to get the picture better " and knowing it's p-much just the source material and not the set :kamina:

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

Space Racist posted:

One thing that consistently pulls me back from the ‘Buy’ button is that I have a pretty decent TV as is - 55” 2017 TCL P605, which has really been a bang-for-the-buck champion during the 4 years I’ve had it.

I’d like to move up to a 65” LG C1, but I can’t help but feel like that’s a lot of money to spend on a relatively marginal upgrade over what I’ve already got.

What do you all think? Worthwhile upgrade, or better to hold out another year or two*?

*This is almost certainly what I’ll actually be doing, but I’m curious to get some outside opinions.

I have a Sony 930e which is from the same year and much better than your current tv. Basically if you're going to notice the change in size from your current sitting spot and if you're going to do gaming using one of the newer consoles you should totally upgrade, if not, don't worry about it.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Space Racist posted:

I’m using a 42” plasma from 2010 and even I’m considering pushing back my upgrade another year. This just feels like a stagnant year for TVs with nobody really bringing anything new to the table.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Tacier posted:

I’m using a 42” plasma from 2010 and even I’m considering pushing back my upgrade another year. This just feels like a stagnant year for TVs with nobody really bringing anything new to the table.

What are you

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Tacier posted:

Isn’t this the year we finally got new tech for slightly brighter OLED screens as seen in the G1 and A90j? Also a new screen size at 83inch? After years of no changes? I would imagine we are back to just minor iterations for a while. What are you expecting next year other than OLED-QLED?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
The big new tech was HDMI 2.1 launching on the 2019 OLEDs as that allowed for 4k120, eARC and helped make variable refresh on TVs viable. Those are all gaming focused features tho, those aside the peak brightness increase and larger screen sizes of the current generation you mentioned are the only ones.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

GreenNight posted:

Heh I have a B7 OLED and I'm considering upgrading. What's holding me back is the lack of hdmi 2.1 receivers. Once those are more prevalent at a decent cost, I'll upgrade.

This is another big hang up for me. My current receiver only does HDMI 2.0, so to take advantage of 2.1 on the TV I’d have to rearrange my cables pretty significantly (and unfortunately due to the design of my TV stand, cable management is a huge pain in the rear end).

Also, from what I’ve heard, there’s some pretty nasty audio delay on the XSX when passing audio through the TV to the receiver via ARC. (I haven’t looked into this in a few months so no idea if it’s recently gotten fixed)

Plus, like FilthyImp said, I’d like to give the G1 Evo panel’s improvements time to filter to the C and B models.

The Illusive Man fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Sep 29, 2021

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Amazon has deals on Hisense TVs:

Hisense 55U8G $850 shipped

Hisense 75U6G $995 shipped

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

codo27 posted:

What are you

Someone who hasn’t turned his TV on in a year because he lives alone and watches Netflix on his iPad.

The main things I’m waiting for are the G1 OLED panel to trickle down to the C1 for better burn-in protection or for Sony to make a drat LED TV with more than 60 dimming zones. I’ll take either.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Tacier posted:

Someone who hasn’t turned his TV on in a year because he lives alone and watches Netflix on his iPad.

Didn't know my bff had a second SA account...

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
Thread has mentioned bias lighting a few times recently. The issue I've run into in the past is the lights turning themselves on when the TV is off, a function of Android TV being erratic. They'll turn on, stay on for a minute or so, then turn off, all without user input. This seems common for others as well, especially for certain models. I've looked around + contacted the company and haven't found a solution besides manually turning the lights off each time they turn themselves on, which is a huge pain in the rear end. And I sleep in the same room with my TV. So TVs are built in an way that will deliver power to USB at random intervals. I'd love to use the bias lighting but I've never found a permanent, elegant solution. Does there exist some kind of USB controller that could regulate the power delivery better?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Looks like Sony is rolling out ALLM and VRR in China.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTxQ4cia8-E&t=2s

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

A Bag of Milk posted:

Thread has mentioned bias lighting a few times recently. The issue I've run into in the past is the lights turning themselves on when the TV is off, a function of Android TV being erratic. They'll turn on, stay on for a minute or so, then turn off, all without user input. This seems common for others as well, especially for certain models. I've looked around + contacted the company and haven't found a solution besides manually turning the lights off each time they turn themselves on, which is a huge pain in the rear end. And I sleep in the same room with my TV. So TVs are built in an way that will deliver power to USB at random intervals. I'd love to use the bias lighting but I've never found a permanent, elegant solution. Does there exist some kind of USB controller that could regulate the power delivery better?
They were flashing on my Sony TV when it was off so I just plugged them into the wall wart and use the remote. I only really use them when watching movies at night anyway so I didn't want them on all the time. I know of one solution but it's an incredibly expensive way to achieve it if you don't need the other functions of the box

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Maybe a dumb question, but why is a panel with local dimming better than a cheaper panel without local dimming which has a native contrast good enough that it matches the other panel with local dimming turned on.

In other words, if one panel has 6000:1 contrast with local dimming on and the other has the same contrast ratio with local dimming off, is there still an advantage to the more expensive local dimming panel? I see this all the time on rtings.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

qirex posted:

They were flashing on my Sony TV when it was off so I just plugged them into the wall wart and use the remote. I only really use them when watching movies at night anyway so I didn't want them on all the time. I know of one solution but it's an incredibly expensive way to achieve it if you don't need the other functions of the box

Thank you, the wall solution will be OK, even though that leaves me with yet another remote to lose with yet another button to press for something that in my brain seems like it should be simple to fully automate. If that box were 1/10th the price and only did USB power regulation I'd consider it for sure.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Hey all, I just ordered two 43" TVs from Costco and need to return one. I wanted the cheaper TV, it was OOS, so I ordered the next cheapest TV with Android TV.

1. Sony XH8196 (£450)
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/televisions/xh81-series/buy/kd43xh8196bu

2. TCL 43P615K (£250)
https://www.costco.co.uk/Electronics-Computers/Televisions/TCL-43P615K-43-Inch-4K-Ultra-HD-Smart-Android-TV/p/356167

Both come with Costco's generous 5 year warranty. So reliability is important but not a huge concern.

I don't plan on actually watching that much 4K/HDR content. I will do some gaming on it, but with a 1660 Super that I won't be upgrading anytime soon. Any if I need incredible image quality I have a 27" ultrasharp anyway.

Main thing though is the Android TV. I want to run Plex, Kodi, Steam Link through the TV. I'm willing to spend a little extra for a TV that has the processing power not to choke on the apps. More HDMI ports are nice and whatnot but android TV is where it's at for me.

I know that the Sony is a bit more future proof with Dolby Vision, but I figure by the time that actually matters I'll be able to get a TV that has that and HDMI 2.1 for the price of the TCL.

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Oct 4, 2021

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Don’t keep a tv based on the smart features, they’re for the most part poo poo and undersupported. Pick a Firestick, Roku, Apple, Shield etc and use that. A £20 box will generally do a better job for longer than whatever is installed on a £300 TV.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Well, I did some digging and the TCL gets pretty bad reviews for... Everything but value for money. Can't even figure out if it has Bluetooth (manual says it's only included in some models and doesn't explain)

I think I'll stick with the Sony and see how it is, and worst case I can return it if a better deal comes along.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Both me and my brother bought Sonys, the same model (850E) and I got mine replaced under warranty and his just died outside of it

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Amazon has the Sony OLED 77" on sale for $2998 today (https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08TL48K9M?ref_=Oct_DLandingS_D_102d2d5c_NA). Looks like the LG is still available for $100 cheaper tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

serebralassazin posted:

Saw that yesterday browsing their HDMI 2.1 thread. Model number is S760H. Didn't show up when I searched for it online. People are spotting them in stores though. Price is $399.

Looking at one in store now. Tempting, but I only have one source that needs it still. Will wait on reviews I think.