Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I loving love the MK1 Focus, and remember driving the SVT when it was new and thinking it was the greatest poo poo. Still kinda want one...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

RIP Paul Walker posted:

I loving love the MK1 Focus, and remember driving the SVT when it was new and thinking it was the greatest poo poo. Still kinda want one...

I've had a soft spot for them for years, especially the 2 door hatch. This popped up last night and I messaged within minutes, I am very excited to work on it!

Would this be the right thread to post updates in?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

That’s cool OP, but can you put plaid seats in it?

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Coolnezzz posted:

Computer. Ligma control? Can anyone tell me what this is? It does not look like it belongs in this car:

Light control. Looks like a ballast or whatever for a HID burner.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=toyota+computer+light+control&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-au&client=safari

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Warbird posted:

https://youtu.be/E8g-Wupolp8

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Hell yeah. Always liked these.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Huh, odd that it ended up in the car but whatever, thanks for the reply!

opengl128 posted:

Hell yeah. Always liked these.

Right on, I think they're cool little cars!

Warbird posted:

I could, I suppose. I've had them once already, may as well do it again? (Only shot I have of the seats but I assure you they were quite plaid)

So I got the Focus running again briefly, but it just dies after a minute and won't restart:
  • Two gallons of fresh 91 in the tank, fuel gauge is showing just over 1/3 of a tank now. PO put in a gallon of iffy 87 plus there is whatever had been in the tank for the past 5 years.
  • The fuel shutoff switch in the passenger footwell had been tripped when we loaded it onto the trailer, I depressed the switch and it made the clicking noise to indicate that it has been reset.
  • Clutch safety switch functioning as intended, no crank when clutch is disengaged, cranks when engaged.
  • I picked up the correct battery cable bolts and there are now solid connections to the battery on both posts.

Things to do:
  • Check the following: TPS, IAC, MAF, fuel pump relay. Clean IAC/MAF or replace all as needed.
  • Airbox is missing several screws but post-MAF it appears the intake tract is sealed properly. Pickup a hardware kit and fasten the airbox and intake hoses correctly.
  • Fully charge the battery with an external charger.
  • Check fuel pump relay (sounds like it's probably fine though).
  • Review entire vacuum system to look for leaks / disconnected lines.
  • Review ignition/spark to ensure spark plugs/wires/coil are good.
  • PO said he replaced the fuel filter in the past two weeks, check that.
  • Check the fuel pump - any tips for verifying it's working other than listening to make sure it turns on when keyed to "ACC"?
  • Question my sanity doing this without a garage or a real place to work on it other than the street.

Video after startup:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...TFvVnd0VFJGQmFR

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Qmass posted:

mini coopers are repellent

I wish there was a car that gave me as strong a reaction but positively. I really tried thinking about why just now and the closest I could get is that I think mini cooper ownership is the automotive equivalent of an affectation. I am kind of insane though...

My cousin bought it for basically the same reasons I bought my FiST:

It was cheap, fun to drive, no bigger than she needed, and it’s kinda unique. It’s just a car, y’all.

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Sep 29, 2021

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Oh hey, midnight “bass boat” blue. You’re alright OP.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

mini coopers are repellent

I wish there was a car that gave me as strong a reaction but positively. I really tried thinking about why just now and the closest I could get is that I think mini cooper ownership is the automotive equivalent of an affectation. I am kind of insane though...

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Qmass posted:

I really tried thinking about why just now and the closest I could get is that I think mini cooper ownership is the automotive equivalent of an affectation.

how do you feel about ppl who drive around in “adventure build” SUVs? Or just 99% of pickup owners, full stop?

also lmao, my FiST is smaller than a Mini Cooper and I love it

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I do kinda see what you mean, tho. Like I see a young dude getting out of a Mini Cooper and my first expectation is that he’s reaching for his newsboy cap

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I remember seeing a Mini Cooper S for the first time in person at the Gap, thinking it was such a cool car and I wanted one.

But by the time I could afford one as more of them were on the used market, they had a reputation for being poo poo reliability wise so I never even drove one. Which is too bad because supposedly they handle really good and are fun to drive. Not worth the BMW bullshit tho.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I remember seeing a Mini Cooper S for the first time in person at the Gap, thinking it was such a cool car and I wanted one.

But by the time I could afford one as more of them were on the used market, they had a reputation for being poo poo reliability wise so I never even drove one. Which is too bad because supposedly they handle really good and are fun to drive. Not worth the BMW bullshit tho.

if you’re gonna go through the trouble of bmw ownership you might as well own one of the worthwhile ones, like an e36....or an e36

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I have an f56 S and it’s excellent

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
I hate to love Mini Coopers - totally a thing where at a glance I'm all ahh boo terrible but an inside voice saying it looks super groovin and fun. Like the Nissan Cube my other hate to love; eff those dumb things but I had one as a rental and it felt amazing as a driving appliance with very comfortable seating position, excellent visibility, ride was comfy, and even a decent stereo.

Enos Cabell posted:

That Boomba short shift adapter showed up sooner than expected, so I spent all of 5 minutes putting it on over lunch today. Only a short 10 minute drive with it on, but liking it so far.
Nice! How ya liking it after some more time? I was leaning toward a whole Sigma 6 shift kit, but the cost and ease of install on the adapter plus reversiblity and generally keeping things closer to stock especially while still under warranty is pretty appealing. End up doing the clutch valve delete?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

teh_Broseph posted:

Nice! How ya liking it after some more time? I was leaning toward a whole Sigma 6 shift kit, but the cost and ease of install on the adapter plus reversiblity and generally keeping things closer to stock especially while still under warranty is pretty appealing. End up doing the clutch valve delete?

I've done a 6 hour road trip and a bunch of short spirited drives now, and I'm still really digging it. It feels notchier in a good way. Haven't done the valve delete yet, but I did get rid of the assist spring and added a diy stop. Now I'm debating the pros/cons of a weighted shift knob...

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

Enos Cabell posted:

I've done a 6 hour road trip and a bunch of short spirited drives now, and I'm still really digging it. It feels notchier in a good way. Haven't done the valve delete yet, but I did get rid of the assist spring and added a diy stop. Now I'm debating the pros/cons of a weighted shift knob...

Weighted shift knob was the best thing I did to my Civic Si. I missed way fewer throws and it just felt amazing.

Like an 8 year old, i would just sit in the driveway and row through the gears when I was bored

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Enos Cabell posted:

I must be the only person in the world that doesn't like weighted shift knobs. Had one in my E46 for a while and took it out 'cause it made it harder to be precise when shifting quickly, tho it did feel nice in normal driving.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Current fleet of hatches at home:

Rowdy clown car. Small mods, mostly stock, makes hilarious noises and drives way better than it should considering it’s an FCA product. Traded my ‘19 Civic Si at a dealer for this and a wheelbarrow full of cash.

Eyeliner-wearing clown car. Tons of basic mods (intake, exhaust, pulley, injectors, full suspension, upgraded brakes etc.) done at a local MINI tuning shop. Bought for a reasonable price and incredibly mechanically solid. Was just at dealer for PS recall from 2015 and the only thing they found was a broken side marker bulb socket. Will be my winter beater.

The biggest of the bunch, also fairly heavily modified (intake, header/HFC/exhaust, full suspension/sway bars, brakes, etc.) and lives in the garage 99% of the time because I have too many other cars. I never drive it in winter for fear of Honda rust.

Yes I have AADD.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Rowdy clown car. Small mods, mostly stock, makes hilarious noises and drives way better than it should considering it’s an FCA product. Traded my ‘19 Civic Si at a dealer for this and a wheelbarrow full of cash.

Eyeliner-wearing clown car. Tons of basic mods (intake, exhaust, pulley, injectors, full suspension, upgraded brakes etc.) done at a local MINI tuning shop. Bought for a reasonable price and incredibly mechanically solid. Was just at dealer for PS recall from 2015 and the only thing they found was a broken side marker bulb socket. Will be my winter beater.

The biggest of the bunch, also fairly heavily modified (intake, header/HFC/exhaust, full suspension/sway bars, brakes, etc.) and lives in the garage 99% of the time because I have too many other cars. I never drive it in winter for fear of Honda rust.

Yes I have AADD.

I’m jealous, how many cars you got?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
2023 Type R camo teaser: https://www.civicxi.com/forum/threads/2023-civic-type-r-official-teaser-from-honda-ready-for-nurburgring-testing.50078/

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

that looks great

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’m jealous, how many cars you got?

Six total, because I just thinned the herd. Other than the three above, I have an ‘01 S2000, a ‘94 Del Sol, and a ‘20 Silverado.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Six total, because I just thinned the herd. Other than the three above, I have an ‘01 S2000, a ‘94 Del Sol, and a ‘20 Silverado.

that’s a good Pokémon team of cars

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

If they don’t mess it up with black plastic like Subaru did with the 22 WRX I think this will look good.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I don't particularly like the hot wheels look of the 10th gen R & I appreciate that they're trying to tone it down but I find the 11th gen hatch styling to look incredibly fat and boring. The R version doesn't seem to be doing much to rectify that. That wing looks like they picked it up at AutoZone on the way to the photo shoot.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah I'd actually prefer it it without the wing, would be cool if there was a delete option for that.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Yeah I'd actually prefer it it without the wing, would be cool if there was a delete option for that.

they have that as an option

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

be careful, those are apparently surprisingly easy to roll for being squat hatchbacks

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Man I want a dumb lil abarth now, they seem like such hoots

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Fart Car '97 posted:

I don't particularly like the hot wheels look of the 10th gen R & I appreciate that they're trying to tone it down but I find the 11th gen hatch styling to look incredibly fat and boring. The R version doesn't seem to be doing much to rectify that. That wing looks like they picked it up at AutoZone on the way to the photo shoot.

Same, I really like how the Accord looks and was excited when they said the 11th gen was going to look similar. I've seen a few of the new Civics in real life and it just...doesn't work. Hopefully the Type R looks better.

TheBacon posted:

Man I want a dumb lil abarth now, they seem like such hoots

It's worth it for the tractor exhaust noises alone.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

That looks great, as long as they don't slap black plastics all over the outside.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Same, I really like how the Accord looks and was excited when they said the 11th gen was going to look similar. I've seen a few of the new Civics in real life and it just...doesn't work. Hopefully the Type R looks better.

I think the styling looks excellent for the sedan, can't wait to see the SI. It's just the hatch I find ugly.

Plus I resent Honda for hiding the only 1.5t/6speed hatch combo behind a $30,000 price tag.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I wish Honda would lean into making an actual hatchback. They look like sedans on everything but a careful look.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Stock exhaust:

http://i.imgur.com/j0rUL1H.mp4

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
lol that plate.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

It’s my Axis Machine

Protection from who, Tommy? Ze Germanz?

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Rolo posted:

lol that plate.

My first thought too lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Yes I have AADD.

Thought the building was a crazy wing in the thumbnail.