Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Nobody can get to Facebook's DNS servers because nobody can get to Facebook's network. It's not impossible there's a more general DNS issue but that's more likely to be symptom rather than cause.

e: Ironically I can't really get any more info because the people I know who'd actually know for certain I normally communicate with over Whatsapp. I know I could text them but it's not 1999 any more.

Don't you got ICQ?

e: cat tax

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
The Health and Care Professions Council's website was making GBS threads the bed earlier.
I just assumed it was because several hundred organisations were frantically checking that their employees are still registered professionals, but maybe it was something else

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009

His Divine Shadow posted:

Don't you got ICQ?

The ancient dark arts of irc still work

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Lol

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

fluppet posted:

The ancient dark arts of irc still work

For years a large UK ISP which will go un-named to protect the guilty[1] did all of their internal chat on a public IRC server, including poo poo like password changes.

[1] Not any of the ones I worked for, although one did have a private internal IRC server that also had a channel that a bot slapped any critical syslog messages in as it's main monitoring platform.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

As long as there are two digital devices capable of communicating with each other, IRC will exist. Reassuring in a way.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Five people arrested after IDS gets hit with a traffic cone.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/iain-duncan-smith-conservative-conference-b1932149.html

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

goddamnedtwisto posted:

e: Ironically I can't really get any more info because the people I know who'd actually know for certain I normally communicate with over Whatsapp. I know I could text them but it's not 1999 any more.

Something Awful was founded in 1999 :ironicat:

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I hope the traffic cone was okay :ohdear:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Borrovan posted:

Sadly I have to report that IDS violently grabbed it and threw it to the ground.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Their sacrifice will not be in vain. :synthy:

Read yesterday that some people hung out a sign with the words: "we only have to be lucky once"...... too soon?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

So is this what happens when the global DNS services have to nuke you or is this the sort of thing you do to make it clear you just wrecked Facebook's poo poo

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Spangly A posted:

So is this what happens when the global DNS services have to nuke you or is this the sort of thing you do to make it clear you just wrecked Facebook's poo poo

No, it's the sort of thing that happens when you're a post-dotcom company that thinks everything below layer 4 is pointless and the Real Work is in using a megabyte of Javascript to slightly adjust the kerning on the fourth advert on the landing page.

(It appears to be a major fuckup in their network configuration leading to them effectively removing themselves entirely from the internet, the DNS failure being the most obvious symptom to the kind of person that thinks everything below layer 4 etc etc)

e: willing to bet a *substantial* amount of money that their network support are outsourced which is why the rollback is taking so long.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 4, 2021

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

learnincurve posted:

Sadly I have to report that IDS violently grabbed it and threw it to the ground.
yeah and he could totally have beaten everyone up but he just bested them with a mot juste & they ran away & cried & everyone stood up & clapped, I read his statement :jerkbag:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

First five for the 2022 New Years Honor's List selected.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

From what we know, Facebook network engineers just pulled the server-side equivalent of locking your keys in your car.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Borrovan posted:

Would you be if you had to touch IDS?

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

goddamnedtwisto posted:

No, it's the sort of thing that happens when you're a post-dotcom company that thinks everything below layer 4 is pointless and the Real Work is in using a megabyte of Javascript to slightly adjust the kerning on the fourth advert on the landing page.

(It appears to be a major fuckup in their network configuration leading to them effectively removing themselves entirely from the internet, the DNS failure being the most obvious symptom to the kind of person that thinks everything below layer 4 etc etc)

e: willing to bet a *substantial* amount of money that their network support are outsourced which is why the rollback is taking so long.

Someone somewhere on irc was saying that apparently Facebook managed to lock their sysadmins out of their networks with this, so yeah like keys in the car as was said.

Not sure how accurate all this is but apparently none of their sysops people are physically near a data centre, while the data centre people don't have the DNS knowledge etc required to fix, so it's taking a while

e: dunno about outsourced support but doesn't necessarily need to be outsourced to achieve this, just incompetence is enough :v:

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Network engineering is alien to me but when someone posts an article explaining this I'm going to Google the poo poo out of every ambiguous term so I can properly enjoy the laffs

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Linked In messaging still seems to be working if you need to contact someone who you are networked with on there.

This reminds me of when the internet got taken down in Egypt during the 2011 revolution. We were chasing around on proxies for several hours with the security services minutes behind us. Then they just pulled the plug on the DNS tables. That was that.

Be interesting if anyone has the IP address for Facebook to see if you can still get it directly? We managed to do that in the revolution just enough to get a message on but then certain tv channels were posting the IP addresses regularly.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 4, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I can not think of any instance where talking to someone on linkedin would make any situation better tbh.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

I can not think of any instance where talking to someone on linkedin would make any situation better tbh.

Depends. I have a good friend currently living in Saudi Arabia that's our most usual communication method because VOIPs get blocked all the time.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

re the tory guy eating beans from a can. Obviously a trot infiltrator to the tory party conference because:

https://twitter.com/GordonComstock8/status/1444980818900779014?s=20

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The real horseshoe theory.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Facebook

Whatsapp

Instagram

The social media sphere has collapsed.

Only SomethingAwful soldiers on.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
unless they stay gone who cares

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Regarde Aduck posted:

unless they stay gone who cares

Robert Peston cares, it's how he gets all of the inane gossip he reports on.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
he doesn't even report on it, he just reports it

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I use WhatsApp a lot, I care about that one.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I was horrified by the cold beans from a tin person.

They used a fork.

Spoon with cold beans, surely.

Third spoon in from the right.

The bean spoon.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

if i was going to sneak hard liquor into a conference i would use a tin of beans because the guards would be expecting a water bottle or can of vimto

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWqSaO576RA

Rees Mogg getting shouted at in the street, not giving a poo poo.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Linked In messaging still seems to be working if you need to contact someone who you are networked with on there.

This reminds me of when the internet got taken down in Egypt during the 2011 revolution. We were chasing around on proxies for several hours with the security services minutes behind us. Then they just pulled the plug on the DNS tables. That was that.

Be interesting if anyone has the IP address for Facebook to see if you can still get it directly? We managed to do that in the revolution just enough to get a message on but then certain tv channels were posting the IP addresses regularly.

Things are so hosed up Facebook can't even access their own infrastructure.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

re the tory guy eating beans from a can. Obviously a trot infiltrator to the tory party conference because:

https://twitter.com/GordonComstock8/status/1444980818900779014?s=20

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another dimension: a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind. You're moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of backs and sides. You've just picked up...

Dead Goon posted:

The bean spoon.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
No one at Facebook who can fix Facebook can get into any of the buildings or open any doors because security keys are linked to their Facebook

Lol.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Not being able to use WhatsApp is actually really really annoying lol

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Perhaps the queen has died and this is just to keep burnsey cheeks and gibbo from learning about it.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Just thinking of all the local small businesses / sole traders whose entire online presence is a facebook page. (loads round here).
Not fun for them.

Plus all the other people who run 'facebook live' sessions for their clients and so on.

Plus those of us who have friends around the world and no way to contact them other than via facebook / messenger!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

multijoe posted:

Not being able to use WhatsApp is actually really really annoying lol

I haven't been sent a grainy 800 times copy pasted meme from FootyLAD.banter in the work group in hours and it's rough