Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

General Dog posted:

Is it just me or am I seeing an increase in the use of “they/them” pronouns online for people who could pretty safely be assumed to identify as “he/him” or “she/her”?
boy are you opening up a can of worms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Grittybeard posted:

Why do you care?

I guess I want to make sure I’m not falling behind

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I'm so sorry TK

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Wow, modern data analysis is really gonna change how players are selected and coaching decisions in sports.

https://twitter.com/KenQuarrie/status/1444240224117166080?s=20

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Condolences TK. That loving sucks.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Skwirl posted:

Wow, modern data analysis is really gonna change how players are selected and coaching decisions in sports.

https://twitter.com/KenQuarrie/status/1444240224117166080?s=20

Well the big breakthrough in baseball was "hmm, getting on base is important".

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Amy Pole Her posted:

Nope. Depending on state - They’re limited in damages as long as they can reasonably prove they were acting in capacity for the issuing office. Last year a friend of mine was broadsided by a cop and it should’ve been 80-100k, but sadly settled for much less for that very reason. They’re protected, statutorily.

https://www.mwl-law.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/STATE-SOVEREIGN-IMMUNITY-AND-TORT-LIABILITY-CHART.pdf

Check your state here

God drat do I hate Federalism.

So sorry for your loss TK. Based on how you've spoken of her it was very clear how much you loved your Mom. That love was the greatest gift you could give her. We're all here if you need us.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Well the big breakthrough in baseball was "hmm, getting on base is important".

'It is good to not make outs when your team is hitting' was somehow a revelation in several different ways in the history of the sport.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Make runs not WAR

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Is this bad this seems bad

https://twitter.com/briankrebs/status/1445077617426718725

It's good actually gently caress facebook

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Condolences to TK69.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

General Dog posted:

I guess I want to make sure I’m not falling behind

gender is a construct and people have the right to signal and request they be referred to in whatever way they feel most comfortable with

these signals and requests may be in conflict with your own interpretations, which is okay because many of us have until recently only been aware of gender more as a biological reality and less as a social construct—but the polite and more importantly right thing to do is get yourself into a space where your reaction to someone asking to be referred to as "they/them" is not "but he definitely looks like a he/him" and is instead "okay"

Toaster Beef fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 4, 2021

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
I think he was saying people are using they/them by default to refer to other people when there’s nothing obvious to suggest that the person being referred to would not go by he or her. Not that people ask for they/them when they don’t seem enby enough to justify the request.

Nov 6, 2002

Hot Diggity! posted:

Haha, they're right, that's hilarious. I wonder how that happened.

https://mxtoolbox.com/Supertool.aspx?action=a:facebook.com:all

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Toaster Beef posted:

gender is a construct and people have the right to signal and request they be referred to in whatever way they feel most comfortable with

these signals and requests may be in conflict with your own interpretations, which is okay because many of us have until recently been aware of gender more as a biological reality and less as a social construct—but the polite and more importantly right thing to do is get yourself into a space where your reaction to someone asking to be referred to as "they/them" is not "but he definitely looks like a he/him" and is instead "okay"

I was addressing a phenomenon of people who have not expressed a preference for being referred to as "they/them" (rather, expressed no pronoun preference at all, to anyone's knowledge) being referred to as such. Like if someone's pronoun preference is unknown, you default to "they/them" rather than trying to guess.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

General Dog posted:

I was addressing a phenomenon of people who have not expressed a preference for being referred to as "they/them" (rather, expressed no pronoun preference at all, to anyone's knowledge) being referred to as such. Like if someone's pronoun preference is unknown, you default to "they/them" rather than trying to guess.

the horror

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

General Dog posted:

They is more accepted if you don't know a gender as It is seen as dehumanizing. It's easier to just not guess, like if you see somebody of undetermined Asian descent you don't just pick one.

Nov 6, 2002

Its Rinaldo posted:

They is more accepted if you don't know a gender as It is seen as dehumanizing. It's easier to just not guess, like if you see somebody of undetermined Asian descent you don't just pick one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_CaZ4EAexQ

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Condolences.

Nov 6, 2002

https://twitter.com/chadloder/status/1445076657484615682

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

General Dog posted:

this goes back to the potential conflict between how someone prefers to be referred to and how you/someone might assume they should be referred to; which is to say because we have largely been conditioned to associate he/him and she/her with specific presentations we might, having not learned their preferred pronouns, label someone as he/him or she/her by default, which might be against their actual wishes. so they/them is the right and polite way to handle it, as it prevents you/the speaker from accidentally misgendering that person.

Nov 6, 2002

Gonna make and sell an NFT of the Facebook outage.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So I live a pretty uneventful life. My only real unique life experiences are being in an out of hospitals because my brain is annoying.

But occasionally something incredibly weird happens. And about 15 minutes ago I learned that my dad was riding along on his motorcycle with a friend, and was blindsided by a police officer who had run a red light. He was hurt and was in the hospital all day and I didn’t know it because he didn’t want to panic me. He only just came home and is thankfully OK but in a sling, bruised as hell, in a lot of pain. He totaled the bike and went airborne over the police cruiser and hit the ground behind it. There are witnesses. There is video. Statements were taken and he was taken to the hospital via EMTs who arrived on the scene. So all the Is dotted and Ts crossed I guess.

We are pondering a lawsuit but frankly I’m nervous about my dad suing the police or the town or whoever the gently caress is responsible. What will this involve?

I saw that people were saying get a good attorney and that is the best advice.

What I will also tell you is there is a thing called "qualified immunity" that means the police officer will be clean and clear because they say there were on the job and responding to a call and cannot be held accountable for their actions.

I will stop now.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
i should stress that i'm not trying to give you poo poo, here

in part it's because other folks will fill that gap just fine, but mostly it's because i'd rather people felt okay making these observations and asking these questions because that can lead to productive conversations and get us to better spaces more quickly

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/iatse/status/1445090649624268801?s=21

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Kilometers Davis posted:

I came here (probably the wrong thread anyway lol) to post about how I watched football for the first time in like 10 years yesterday and then I saw this. Happened to me in July this year. I don’t know your specific situation but for me it was one of the hardest things I’ve ever experienced. I will tell you with absolute certainty that things will get better, then worse, then better, then numb, then weird, then worse, then better, in no real predictable order. But if things keep moving then you’re doing something right. Take care of yourself and don’t hold yourself to any standard but your own, and make sure it’s not too harsh of a standard. Love ya TITTIEKISSER69.

I’m just gonna echo this, after my fiancé passed earlier this year I had a rough night the night she went, I got as hosed up as I could the next couple days, and then I was just…fine for like three weeks, and was starting to feel really guilty about it. Then we had her funeral and I immediately felt like a hopeless desiccated husk for the following two weeks with near unbearable anxiety. And then I started to get better again.

You’re gonna have super poo poo days and happy reminiscent days, you’re gonna have good days that get flipped on their rear end by one tiny thing. Last week I was completely fine all day, and the second I got home I spent the entire rest of the evening ugly sobbing in the dark by myself. It’s going to suck but you just have to do it and let time heal your wounds. At least, that’s what I keep telling myself.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

General Dog posted:

English-speakers have found a need for a nongendered, but also still human, singular pronoun to use when a person doesn't have explicit information about someone's preferred gender identification. Lacking a pre-existing nongendered singular pronoun, people seem to be reaching a consensus that we're going to use the plural nongendered pronoun even in the case where a singular is called-for. Within a generation or so it will seem totally natural, but for now, it may seem awkward or forced.

Language constantly evolves, of course. People coin new pronunciations or words or phrases or borrow words from other languages etc., and it often serves at first as a signifier; in slang, using the slang word people in your in-group use reinforces your allegiance and legitimacy of belonging to that group, and reinforces that those who don't use that word or pronunciation aren't part of your in-group. Jargon, on the other hand, is just a shorthand for a very specific concept, where using the jargon term avoids ambiguity or a tediously long explanation. Jargon words tend to start out in some profession or industry and spread from there.

Anyway, using the plural pronoun in the general unknown-gender-identity singular case is kind of both jargon and slang: in the slang sense, it serves as a signal that you identify as belonging to a group: the group of people who support the normalization of transgender people, for example. In the jargon sense, it serves as a much shorter and more convenient word than "he or she or they" which would be the most inclusive phrasing, or an inaccurate "he" or "she" when you're not 100% sure which is correct in this case.

There is a weakness here, in that a transgender person who is presenting as and wants to be referred to with a gendered pronoun - like my sister, for example - prefers "her" over "they" and if you forget a lot, well, "they" is better than "him" but not really ideal. The chair of the board for the nonprofit my wife works for is transgender and prefers "they/them"... and my wife keeps forgetting and using "they/them" for my sister, which is not her preference and my wife knows it. It's really hard to switch off a lifetime of habit, and also once your social circles start to include more than one or two non-cisgendered people, it can become more of an effort to keep everything straight when you're just trying to have a conversation.

Ultimately I think our society is still working through this and will continue to do so for decades. But that's basically what's going on.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Hot Diggity! posted:

It's always DNS.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

So is this an act of terror

Nov 6, 2002

General Dog posted:

So is this an act of terror

Sounds like they did it themselves by applying a bad configuration to their DNS infrastructure. And now the lack of DNS connectivity is making it much harder to connect the equipment and people needed to fix the problem.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

T-Square posted:

I’m just gonna echo this, after my fiancé passed earlier this year I had a rough night the night she went, I got as hosed up as I could the next couple days, and then I was just…fine for like three weeks, and was starting to feel really guilty about it. Then we had her funeral and I immediately felt like a hopeless desiccated husk for the following two weeks with near unbearable anxiety. And then I started to get better again.

You’re gonna have super poo poo days and happy reminiscent days, you’re gonna have good days that get flipped on their rear end by one tiny thing. Last week I was completely fine all day, and the second I got home I spent the entire rest of the evening ugly sobbing in the dark by myself. It’s going to suck but you just have to do it and let time heal your wounds. At least, that’s what I keep telling myself.

Fwiw sending you love too. It really is hard, I can’t imagine being in your situation but I’m glad you’re handling the best you can. Death is one of those things that is completely natural to experience in life but seems so wrong, like no one could ever possibly handle it right or prepare, mainly when it’s sudden or notably unfair feeling. What you said about tiny things flipping a day is so true. Thing is, you can’t watch for those bumps too closely either. That’s another trap. Just be aware of them and know that it will happen and that bad days can just as easily flip good. That’s what I’ve had to learn to trust very quickly as of late.

Life is so complex and chaotic that it makes me want to projectile vomit my soul out sometimes but if it wasn’t worth living and genuinely GOOD at the core then there would be no pain in the loss, frustration, fear etc.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

No check mark but jester retweeted it so…..

https://twitter.com/th3j35t3r/status/1445093290026622990?s=21

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Has there been any good writing on how protestants' conception of the Bible as an infallible, inflexible, and authoritative text informs Americans' relationship with the Constitution? Seems like there are some lines to be drawn there.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
That really sucks TK, so sorry to hear that. :(

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Leperflesh posted:

English-speakers have found a need for a nongendered, but also still human, singular pronoun to use when a person doesn't have explicit information about someone's preferred gender identification. Lacking a pre-existing nongendered singular pronoun, people seem to be reaching a consensus that we're going to use the plural nongendered pronoun even in the case where a singular is called-for. Within a generation or so it will seem totally natural, but for now, it may seem awkward or forced.

Language constantly evolves, of course. People coin new pronunciations or words or phrases or borrow words from other languages etc., and it often serves at first as a signifier; in slang, using the slang word people in your in-group use reinforces your allegiance and legitimacy of belonging to that group, and reinforces that those who don't use that word or pronunciation aren't part of your in-group. Jargon, on the other hand, is just a shorthand for a very specific concept, where using the jargon term avoids ambiguity or a tediously long explanation. Jargon words tend to start out in some profession or industry and spread from there.

Anyway, using the plural pronoun in the general unknown-gender-identity singular case is kind of both jargon and slang: in the slang sense, it serves as a signal that you identify as belonging to a group: the group of people who support the normalization of transgender people, for example. In the jargon sense, it serves as a much shorter and more convenient word than "he or she or they" which would be the most inclusive phrasing, or an inaccurate "he" or "she" when you're not 100% sure which is correct in this case.

There is a weakness here, in that a transgender person who is presenting as and wants to be referred to with a gendered pronoun - like my sister, for example - prefers "her" over "they" and if you forget a lot, well, "they" is better than "him" but not really ideal. The chair of the board for the nonprofit my wife works for is transgender and prefers "they/them"... and my wife keeps forgetting and using "they/them" for my sister, which is not her preference and my wife knows it. It's really hard to switch off a lifetime of habit, and also once your social circles start to include more than one or two non-cisgendered people, it can become more of an effort to keep everything straight when you're just trying to have a conversation.

Ultimately I think our society is still working through this and will continue to do so for decades. But that's basically what's going on.

They has been used as a non-gendered singular pronoun for a long rear end time. Style guides might have recommended against it in the past and it's an important change that they no longer do, but it has a published history of that use for like hundreds of years.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Sounds like they did it themselves by applying a bad configuration to their DNS infrastructure. And now the lack of DNS connectivity is making it much harder to connect the equipment and people needed to fix the problem.

loving lol.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Ehud posted:

It's always DNS.

Every drat time.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Anyway now that I accidentally stepped into a surprisingly real but comforting emotional chat (:love:) I’m gonna talk about ball

For whatever reason I stopped paying attention to most sports about 10 years ago. I was loosely following scores and news about the nfl but when my childhood #1 Rams poo poo themselves into LA I got super bummed and just stopped caring. I had the sudden urge yesterday to throw on Sunday football and it felt so good. Comfy as gently caress. It’s also hilarious that my other team, and main one now since the rams and I are still in a complicated place, is the bucs. I hadn’t really followed the entire Tom Brady situation but it’s funny as hell getting back to football and feeling like you edited your home team on madden or something lol.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

General Dog posted:

Has there been any good writing on how protestants' conception of the Bible as an infallible, inflexible, and authoritative text informs Americans' relationship with the Constitution? Seems like there are some lines to be drawn there.

This would be a good starting point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I'm no conspiracy theorist but with the Facebook whistleblower's interview being shown on 60 Minutes last night I don't think that all of their platforms suddenly being down is a coincidence.