Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
this strike could have massive implications for the entertainment industry: https://twitter.com/IATSE/status/1443923776274636830

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I voted this morning. haven’t heard from a single person who intends to vote no. we find out the results on Monday

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

it's gonna be powerful poo poo, solidarity to anyone on the strike line next week.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

best of luck & solidarity to all strikes!

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
:hellyeah:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

bear in mind this is a strike auth. this doesn't mean a strike is called the minute yes wins, it just means that the union leadership can now call a strike whenever they want. a successful strike auth adds leverage and sometimes results in a contract (it probably won't here, but it could).

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

every step is important

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

of course but I don’t want to see a bunch of goons freaking out when yes wins and there’s no immediate strike

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

yeah sorry that was a bit zen

im just glad for it lol

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I like having the explanation. Only job I ever had a real union for was on a temp basis so how poo poo like this works is new to me.

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
with 90% of IATSE members voting, the results are 98% yes. lol. lmao

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/IATSE/status/1445090649624268801?s=20

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

get loving PAID

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

gently caress em up, post a link to a donation page for the strike fund here if one gets made

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
Grats Something Else, DGA sending solidarity your way.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

congratulations IATSE— no matter what happens from here, a strike auth with 90% participation that wins by 98% of the vote is a massive, massive organizing success story. much love to the organizers who busted their asses to make this happen.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

almost 99% is astounding. hell yes

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Hell ya those numbers own

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Zisky posted:

Grats Something Else, DGA sending solidarity your way.

lol the ADs maybe, def not the directors and certainly not the UPMs

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

wow

Zisky
May 6, 2003

theflyingexecutive posted:

lol the ADs maybe, def not the directors and certainly not the UPMs

I can only speak for the ADs but there's a huge amount of support coming from our side of things.

Now what the guild does who knows, I got completely stonewalled when I called to ask about it.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Zisky posted:

I can only speak for the ADs but there's a huge amount of support coming from our side of things.

Now what the guild does who knows, I got completely stonewalled when I called to ask about it.

The DGA administration in NY has exactly two employees lmao. my younger dga friends have been pretty vocally supportive of the strike, my older ones getting closer to upm roles have been pointedly silent, which is exactly what happens when you let the foxes run the hen house

Zisky
May 6, 2003

No poo poo. The West headquarters is better staffed and more responsive but yeah the field reps are usually my go to if I actually want any info.

Hard agree that there's an age divide. That's been a problem at the DGA for years, the second someone gets on the SoCal QL they forget about how bad they used to have it.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

kingcobweb posted:

this strike could have massive implications for the entertainment industry:

good.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
more strikes more strikes more strikes!!!

https://twitter.com/KETV/status/1445360388749643781

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
what’s the best way to find out what products/services/etc to avoid so i don’t cross the picket line with my wallet either

i know the affected kelloggs plants do most (all?) of their breakfast cereal, but what about other products?

same for iatse, i heard they have existing contracts with hbo but not other media outlets/studios — how to know?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

mod saas posted:

what’s the best way to find out what products/services/etc to avoid so i don’t cross the picket line with my wallet either

i know the affected kelloggs plants do most (all?) of their breakfast cereal, but what about other products?

same for iatse, i heard they have existing contracts with hbo but not other media outlets/studios — how to know?

IATSE is most of the labor for drat near every TV show, film studio, theater, concert, or trade show in the US with a decent budget. You've probably seen the IATSE bug at the end of the credits for every movie you're seen in theaters your whole life.

For this strike, if it's shot in Hollywood or California, and has a budget over $1m, it's almost guaranteed that the IA works on it. It's not even close to being limited to just HBO.

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I didn’t explain that well — I heard that IATSE has current contracts with HBO/others that are outside the scope of the proposed strike, and that if that’s true they would continue to work on those productions

either way though, is there a way to know for stuff like kelloggs etc?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

mod saas posted:

I didn’t explain that well — I heard that IATSE has current contracts with HBO/others that are outside the scope of the proposed strike, and that if that’s true they would continue to work on those productions

starting Thursday, the IATSE contracts will be expired for every production besides those produced by HBO, BET, Showtime, and Starz, (and maybe hbo max, which is hbo/Warner) which expire at the end of the year

Zisky
May 6, 2003

theflyingexecutive posted:

starting Thursday, the IATSE contracts will be expired for every production besides those produced by HBO, BET, Showtime, and Starz, (and maybe hbo max, which is hbo/Warner) which expire at the end of the year

The IATSE contracts that expired don't cover the low budget theatrical agreement either (it expires December 2022), so anything under $15 million theoretically is gonna keep going with IATSE members.

That's the way it stands now afaik but there hasn't been any formal guidance issued.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

dudes rock

The Science of Suck
Mar 17, 2009
cool thread, wish i saw it sooner.

i’m a steward of my workplace union and i just started external organizing thru the iww in my spare time. the campaign i’m on has started off great and i’m learning a lot. one interesting thing i’ve noticed is that the leads we get trend younger, which makes me feel hopeful about the future of the labor movement.

anyway, just wanted to throw my hat into the ring for anyone looking for resources to organize their workplace, feel free to pm or talk to me in person if you can find me. then it’s my turn to find you and we can all go have ice cream if our moms say its ok.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Zisky posted:

Yeah my friend who's an AD has been the most vocal person I know of about this.

Also ia_stories on Instagram is good if you want to see some of what they're up against

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/IATSE/status/1448299018866528262?s=20

keeping an eye out for solidarity actions in my area, gl to everyone on the strike line

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

John Deere workers overwhelmingly rejected the contract the UAW and management worked out. Like 90% voted and 90% of voters said no

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Tom Smykowski posted:

John Deere workers overwhelmingly rejected the contract the UAW and management worked out. Like 90% voted and 90% of voters said no

The fact that they're rejecting a 5% raise shows the power of labor right now:

quote:

The now-rejected offer would have given 5% wage hikes for some workers and 6% for some others. The proposed deal had also called for 3% raises in 2023 and 2025.
https://www.reuters.com/business/deere-workers-set-go-strike-uaw-fails-reach-deal-2021-10-13/

edit: ewwww, two-tiering in the contract. this sucks! vote it down always! https://labornotes.org/2021/10/surprise-john-deere-workers-get-see-contract-voting-it

quote:

The list of highlights also mentions “pension and retirement improved.” That’s partly true—for current employees hired since 1997, the pension will go up (though not nearly to the top-tier pension levels). But anyone hired after November 1 of this year will not be eligible for the normal pension. Instead, new hires will be enrolled in a new cash-balance plan, as well as eligible for a 401(k).

edit: lmaooooo

https://twitter.com/JonahFurman/status/1448483622940446722

kingcobweb has issued a correction as of 05:07 on Oct 14, 2021

stik
Apr 19, 2008

Just found this thread. Here is a link to the IATSE support petition. https://actionnetwork.org/petitions/tell-amptp-to-make-a-deal-with-behind-the-scenes-workers

Never been on strike before. ✊

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

stik posted:

Just found this thread. Here is a link to the IATSE support petition. https://actionnetwork.org/petitions/tell-amptp-to-make-a-deal-with-behind-the-scenes-workers

Never been on strike before. ✊

Oh what's up stik! Best of luck getting that good new contract. Being on strike for the first time is certainly an experience, let us know if you need any help and how it ends up going!

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Labor solidarity to all of ya'll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
https://twitter.com/msainat1/status/1448369738288095234?t=BQRvWpuNkvpqs7BjKz1ZOQ&s=19