Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003

mediaphage posted:

not bothering with that poo poo in this thread of kerbal space experts

You could make a thread I'd enjoy learning some stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

sitchensis posted:

I remember my crack-ping moment was when I visited an aquarium (ostensibly run by a non-profit) that had an exhibit about micro plastics in the oceans.

One of the dioramas was a washing machine and dryer with a basket of clothing next to it. The little information panel beneath it recited the fact that a single piece of synthetic material releases millions of plastic microfibres after being washed, which then drain out once the washer finishes its cycle.

Later, in the gift shop of the aquarium, I marvelled at the polyester orcas, blankets, and branded fleece vests that were for sale.

lol

lmao

i sort of wonder whether we’ll see mandates for washing machines to catch that

not that it matters really

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

mediaphage posted:

i sort of wonder whether we’ll see mandates for

let me just stop you right there

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

The Protagonist posted:

let me just stop you right there

lol fair

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

is there even any realistic way to clean up all the microplastics? like put the climate collapse aside for a moment, the only way you'd be able to get everything that needed to be gotten would be plastic-eating bacteria I guess

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

is there even any realistic way to clean up all the microplastics? like put the climate collapse aside for a moment, the only way you'd be able to get everything that needed to be gotten would be plastic-eating bacteria I guess

nano 👏 bots 👏

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007

The Protagonist posted:

nano 👏 bots 👏

those are called genetically modified bacteria.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

SKULL.GIF posted:

it's significantly less realistic than carbon capture

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Minrad posted:

the plastic crack ping is the most sinister one of all. i wonder if the scientists who narrowed down lead pollution from cars became this insane when they realized how much lead was literally everywhere.

The one guy who actually cared to follow where the science lead about this did indeed lose his poo poo when for DECADES he tried to convince the world this was A Problem and people just ignored him. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clair_Cameron_Patterson

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

SKULL.GIF posted:

we would have to invent a science fiction magnet that pulls in any material we set the dial to and even then it'd be patented by Disney for 20,000 years and used to pull gold out of nature preserves

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

My sister is thinking of moving to Florida. Anyone have any good articles explaining how terrible of an idea that is? Florida has to be one of the worst states to move to due to climate change, right?

Issues will start cropping up way before her house is covered in water.

https://www.usgs.gov/mission-areas/water-resources/science/saltwater-intrusion?qt-science_center_objects=0#qt-science_center_objects

quote:

One part of the U.S. that has dealt with saltwater intrusion is Florida. In Florida, saltwater has intruded into groundwater supplies through different compounding ways. For example, saltwater has encroached into aquifers because fresh groundwater levels have decreased relative to sea level, allowing higher gradient water to flow toward the freshwater. Also, leaking saltwater inland canals, leakage between aquifers, or even upwelling of saltwater from depth also have impacted freshwater aquifers. Water managers in Florida are using information from local, State, Tribal, and Federal saltwater-intrusion monitoring networks, such as from the USGS, to prevent and reverse saltwater intrusion.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Xeom posted:

for immediate release,

we regret to inform you our GMB-alpha PLASTC-B-GON™ strain may, in a small number of cases, misidentify some substances as unwanted micro-plastics which can include, but is not limited to:

• medical plastics
  • airplane plastics
    and/or
  • living tissues

we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused and appreciate your patience as we work to quickly distribute a genome hotfix

sincerely,

your friends at Astrazen-Monstantotech

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

The Protagonist posted:

for immediate release,

we regret to inform you our GMB-alpha PLASTC-B-GON™ strain may, in a small number of cases, misidentify some substances as unwanted micro-plastics which can include, but is not limited to:

• medical plastics
  • airplane plastics
    and/or
  • living tissues

we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused and appreciate your patience as we work to quickly distribute a genome hotfix

sincerely,

your friends at Astrazen-Monstantotech

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/86452.Ill_Wind

quote:

It's the largest oil spill in history: a crashed supertanker in San Francisco Bay. Desperate to avert environmental damage—and a PR disaster—the multinational oil company releases an untested "designer microbe" to break up the spill.

An "oil-eating" microbe, designed to consume anything made of petrocarbons: oil, gasoline, synthetic fabrics, and of course plastic.

What the company doesn't realize is that their microbe propagates through the air. But when every car in the Bay Area turns up with an empty gas tank, they begin to suspect something is terribly wrong.

And when, in just a few days, every piece of plastic in the world has dissolved, it's too late..

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Xeom posted:

A genetically modified bacteria that eats synthetic fibers, plastic, etc, would be a cool Bond villain plot point

Serf
May 5, 2011

Blockade posted:

A genetically modified bacteria that eats synthetic fibers, plastic, etc, would be a cool Bond villain plot point

at this point anyone planning to magic away all the plastic in the world would be less a villain and more a hero

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
But what does it poop? I feel like it would have to be a carbon gas, and if all the world's plastic suddenly became CO2 we'd be uhhh well not great

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
it will be a plastics arms race vs the bacteria. one day u wake up and ur shirts all half eaten.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
there aren’t any realistic solutions to any problems. better things aren’t possible.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
it would breath out co2. dunno what it would poop. probably depends on the type of polymer.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007

Stereotype posted:

there aren’t any realistic solutions to any problems. better things aren’t possible.

this is the truth. it’s just a lil fun. we are hosed.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
if the plastic eating microbes exhale carbon then come up with carbon eating molecules that exhale oxygen

through rigorous research I can see no problems with this approach, at all

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Rectal Death Adept posted:

if the plastic eating microbes exhale carbon then come up with carbon eating molecules that exhale oxygen

yeah that idea was pretty well debunked in Soylent Oceanographic Survey Report 2015-2019 Vol. 1

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Rectal Death Adept posted:

congratulations on being the big brains that reinvented chlorophyll

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Introducing chlorophyll+, guaranteed to keep chugging away even in the new, lower intensity sunlight afforded to us by the sulfur+ cloudtech

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
when the sun blows up and incinerates the earth, that should clean up all microplastics, so it's not like it'll be a problem forever

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Phoebe Bridgers just posted a cover of That Funny Feeling and it is loving perfect.

https://youtu.be/uRl9lNFKMBI

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

FistEnergy posted:

anything musk touches is guaranteed to be an incredibly expensive boondoggle that sucks up public money and fails to make the world's problems even a tiny bit better

anyone who owns a tesla needs to be shot into the sun in the next spacex rocket

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

anyone who owns a tesla needs to be shot into the sun in the next spacex rocket

you have come a long way young padawan, i'm very proud of you o7

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

even if those mostly responsible get to die peacefully, many of them will still have children, grandchildren, and so forth left in hellworld

they will pay for their forebears crimes instead and torturing the rich's progeny will be some consolation since justice isn't real to begin with

ur grandpappy oil bucks forced me to do this *screaming intensifies*

this is not a serious post

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
yeah because the descendants of the ultra rich will be the ones with huge estates, penthouses, meat diets and unlimited water rations while the lower tier dome inhabitants have a 100sqft cube, algae diet and water/energy credits.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

i haven't read the last 1500 posts

is it bad yet

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

crazed eyes dart wildly over a dead blasted landscape

THERE ARE NO SINS IF THERE ARE NO MEN!

*blows up the megadome and every soul within*

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

is it bad yet

it's not good

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
it's great actually

number go up

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

is it bad yet

not great, not terrible

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

SKULL.GIF posted:

at current rates eventually all microplastic will be safely sequestered inside of animals humans and especially newborns

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

this ironically will lead to the first true immortals, homo plastikos, the undying inheritors of a dead world

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

some old dusty tome posted:

They were commanded not to harm the grass of the earth, or any green thing, or any tree, but only those men who do not have the seal of God on their foreheads. 5 And they were not given authority to kill them, but to torment them for five months. Their torment was like the torment of a scorpion when it strikes a man. 6 In those days men will seek death and will not find it; they will desire to die, and death will flee from them.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
Number is tired and taking a break

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
plastics are funny and would be an unprecedented disaster many decades ago but at this point it's just another notch on a long list to lol at. very bad but overall not even the worst thing we're doing

https://i.imgur.com/7eompDi.mp4