Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Wait, salt over Zootopia?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Ups_rail posted:

gently caress Avatar still kinda haunts me for its creativity and good writing.
Blue Pocahontas wasn't very notable other than for its art direction and use of 3D, if you ask me.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Re: Chinese films/entertainment.

A silly question.

Is there an actual audience for the bullshit swords and sorcery epics that the Chinese film and TV industry pumps out?

As in, do people really like this genre a lot so there are a lot of them, or are there a lot of them because they are easy/cheap to make and won't get in trouble with the censors etc.?

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
chinese box office numbers are probably even less reliable than their economic numbers so, who can tell

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

hypnophant posted:

chinese box office numbers are probably even less reliable than their economic numbers so, who can tell

Obviously true, but I just had a moment where I imagined, in a country where information regularly changes retroactively, where there is neither an express nor an implied expectation of transparency or honesty, one organisation stands against the tide of lies, exaggeration, and statistical manipulation:
The cinema box office tracking bureau.

Steely determination. Iron will. Unbending resolve. Per ardua ad Avenue of Stars.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Wuxia is pretty cool, imo.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Grand Fromage posted:

Wuxia is pretty cool, imo.

It is, also a lot of the classic stuff is pretty anti-authoritarian.

So are a lot of the classics like the Water Margin.

Xi should just ban books imo. Only way to be safe.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
The classic animated film from the early Mao years, Havoc in Heaven, is entirely about Sun Wukong being s dick to all authority figures and getting away with it, up to and including fighting off all the armies of Heaven at once. I doubt the current party would ever allow something like that to be made again, unless they could recast heaven as THE KUOMINTANG!

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
I just can't stop thinking about how great Taiwan is

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door

SerCypher posted:

The whole point of "jianghu" is to be outside official control, heroes and villains navigating the waterways of the hinterlands far away from the prying eyes of the emperor.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Rabelais D posted:

The whole point of "jianghu" is to be outside official control, heroes and villains navigating the waterways of the hinterlands far away from the prying eyes of the emperor.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
better get some 3d glasses and a blu ray of this before it gets retroactively banned

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

SerCypher posted:

He should burn some on TV, it would look about right.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Props if it was a 40 acre wood book.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

WarpedNaba posted:

Wait, salt over Zootopia?

Some article got posted here.

Alot of chinese kids liked the fox character because he was "clever" and made money and I assume being a red fox helped

Also

The Villain in the story is a government official namely the mayor, something something sheep.

Also I was talking about the last air bender.

Also I rememebered years ago in one of these threads there was article about "empires of the deep" where a billionaire wanted to make a movie and hired the director of the empire strikes Back.

The director would tell the dude "yeah we can do X' just need to do it this way, and face culture would kick in, and he would yell and point to his sports car as proof he was right.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
i mean if the only things kids were getting out of the film was 'yo the hustling life's for me' i'd be worried to. If it wasn't they just liked him because fox

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Didn't they almost make that big eared fox go extinct?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Collateral posted:

Didn't they almost make that big eared fox go extinct?

I don’t think the kids did that.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Request thread title be changed to this picture. Don't say it can't be done, just do it.

https://twitter.com/nise_yoshimi/status/1443777124825927682?s=20

lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJlPr2KHSFo

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Rabelais D posted:

Yeah there seems to be an understanding in some of the earlier stuff I've read, that being a bandit or an outlaw isn't really a moral failing.

Often they're depicted as more respectable and moral than government officials, law enforcement (such as it was), etc.

If society is all hosed up and you're a cool martial arts fightman (or fightwoman) the only sensible thing to do is to reject it and create a bandit fortress.

I haven't watched many of the recent big CG chinese fantasy fight movies, but I wonder if they're going contain less of those themes moving forward.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

SerCypher posted:

Yeah there seems to be an understanding in some of the earlier stuff I've read, that being a bandit or an outlaw isn't really a moral failing.

Often they're depicted as more respectable and moral than government officials, law enforcement (such as it was), etc.

If society is all hosed up and you're a cool martial arts fightman (or fightwoman) the only sensible thing to do is to reject it and create a bandit fortress.

I haven't watched many of the recent big CG chinese fantasy fight movies, but I wonder if they're going contain less of those themes moving forward.

It's fine to reject society so long as you're a white man who's not allowed to rape and murder whoever he wants because society is run by fruity liberals who aren't white men.

bradburypancakes
Sep 9, 2014

hmm. hmmmmmmmm

Chairman yang best chairman

feizhouxiongdi2
Oct 9, 2019

SerCypher posted:

don't forget all the beautiful women you'll get by living this jianghu lifestyle though

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Shumagorath posted:

Blue Pocahontas wasn't very notable other than for its art direction and use of 3D, if you ask me.

It also took its entire premise from the 1990s RPG Albion.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Was this ever posted in here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHsGO8a8WOE

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Apparently Ian McCollum's most recent book on domestically manufactured Chinese handguns from 1911 - 1949 is running into some issues since the printing is being done in China. The censors don't seem to like the maps that are in the book and was offered alternative, party-approved maps to use instead. Apparently they were so ridiculous that they're being removed from the book entirely and an appendix with the maps will be added once they get their hands on them before shipping.

I really want to know what the problem was and what the replacement maps looked like. Given the time period I'm guessing it has to do with regions under whose control at different points leading up to and through the civil war/WWII, and I wonder just how egregious the edits were.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Coxswain Balls posted:

Apparently Ian McCollum's most recent book on domestically manufactured Chinese handguns from 1911 - 1949 is running into some issues since the printing is being done in China. The censors don't seem to like the maps that are in the book and was offered alternative, party-approved maps to use instead. Apparently they were so ridiculous that they're being removed from the book entirely and an appendix with the maps will be added once they get their hands on them before shipping.

I really want to know what the problem was and what the replacement maps looked like. Given the time period I'm guessing it has to do with regions under whose control at different points leading up to and through the civil war/WWII, and I wonder just how egregious the edits were.

Makes me think of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBE7I8QIpw4&t=538s
I don't know how good China Uncensored is as a source but MOVA globes were fined in part for having a globe which was based on a 1790 map.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Broke: 9 Dash Line
Woke: 26,400 Dash Line

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

freelop posted:

Makes me think of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBE7I8QIpw4&t=538s
I don't know how good China Uncensored is as a source but MOVA globes were fined in part for having a globe which was based on a 1790 map.

I'm pretty sure China Uncensored is a Falun Gong channel.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I'm pretty sure China Uncensored is a Falun Gong channel.

how many times did they mention Shen Yun?

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

I posted it as soon as it was uploaded. I used my mouse, it cost forty dollars.

*edit I just remembered, I was watching a Rust clip where an admin was banning cheaters, and I fairly certain the same guy in the daniels clip was in it, same voice etc. They are always pretending to be Russian or Japanese.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I just checked d&d to get their take on the current raised tensions between Taiwan and mainland China and holy poo poo does the d&d China thread suck.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
LIFEHACK: never read D&D

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Pistol_Pete posted:

I just checked d&d to get their take on the current raised tensions between Taiwan and mainland China and holy poo poo does the d&d China thread suck.

Does it rival ukmt in its broken brains?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Pistol_Pete posted:

I was going to make this exact same post.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
It's three or four die-hard tankies arguing (and being resoundingly chumped on by the rest of the thread) that, if invaded, Taiwan should immediately surrender or else they would be responsible for any deaths as China rightfully reclaims "their" land.

Then one of them accused someone of being a CIA asset because they pointed out that "imperialism" doesn't actually mean "anything done by the US" and things went from there.

If you manage to ignore the 12 year olds having their first political awaking and swearing undying allegiance to Mao and glorious communism half a century late, there are a lot of good people making really good posts.

I cannot recommend anyone actually read the thread though. Digging through a turd to find a bit of carrot is not for the faint-hearted.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I thought it was all pretty loving funny, personally. Tankies!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Fart Simpson is a treasure

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Coxswain Balls posted:

This is actually really hosed up on so many levels.

I know it comes down to cost but why TF would you even consider having your book printed in a country that can decide to mandate changes to it??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
censors used to turn a blind eye to books published for the western market so a lot of investment was made and productive capacity built up. the interference with maps and politically sensitive stuff is a recent development and the market hasn’t had time to overcome the inertia