Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
What an awful reward, :lmao:
What are they replacing it with? Another imaginary H class? Maybe one with a Y turret that can actually angle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Preechr posted:

What an awful reward, :lmao:
What are they replacing it with? Another imaginary H class?

The same ship but with 8 457mm guns.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
God that will be such trash if the back turrets keep those atrocious angles. 4 guns usable from the front with German dispersion? Lol ok sure.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

They are completely incapable of balancing without going for overmatch, devoid of imagination.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
You will have to grind through (or FXP) the FdG again too, so that'll be fun. I read that Sov's are getting a new t10 DD too.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Gwaihir posted:

God that will be such trash if the back turrets keep those atrocious angles. 4 guns usable from the front with German dispersion? Lol ok sure.

Its literally the same ship. Slightly different layout of the secondaries but still the same type and number. poo poo angles.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I'm legitimately not sure what those heavy cruisers designed for open water play are supposed to do these days, specifically the ones "protected" by 30mm armor. Which worked great back when the only ships that could overmatch that were Yamato and Republique. Now? Only 7 out of 17 (counting this new replacement) of the T10 battleships don't overmatch that, and two of those are Conqueror and Columbo - which also don't care because HE/SAP.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
19 if you count Musashi and Georgia too.

Simply play the Petro.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

You can still have good games in non-petro TX CA/CL's but boy do you have to work for it. It is frustrating knowing, when you're spinning 6 plates above your head desperately trying to carry in a Nevsky or Des Moines ( both very good ships still), that you could be having a far easier time and be offering more to your team if you had just queued up in the Petro instead. It does everything and it cant be killed.

Will say that the Napoli keeps growing on me, if you believe in yourself you can pull off absolute mad poo poo that even a Petro cant. Charging in unsupported, if you get good at baiting people into shooting your crazy midsection armour, you can have a very very fun time and solo win caps. Learning how and when to lay smoke and let torp/secondaries open up on people is the key.

The amount of overmatch in the game kind of means that single/double rudder shift mod becomes almost mandatory. It makes high tier cruiser play extremely draining.

Or just play Petro.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Overmatch is a horrendous mechanic (well maybe OK if it was rare, like in 2016). Fires are also OP. I would change the overmatch ratio so that again only 460mm+ is relevant, and I think HE needs nerfed across the board, perhaps make it about 75% as effective as right now.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMOnzgctIpA

Autoloading Tier 11s in ranked are the answer to the problems the game faces.

serious gaylord fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Oct 5, 2021

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I finished the dockyard and then I, finally, won World of Warships :toot:

Gonna catch up on the Outer Wilds DLC, I guess.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMOnzgctIpA

Autoloading Tier 11s in ranked are the answer to the problems the game faces.

I'll be honest, they are a lot better answer than Subs. If you told me they would abandon subs in favour of these new TXI's, I would consider that a win.

kaesarsosei fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 5, 2021

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
count down for tier 11 CVs to be announced in a year or so. Any old hat WoT players will agree it'll happen. Pet child or not.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

JuffoWup posted:

count down for tier 11 CVs to be announced in a year or so. Any old hat WoT players will agree it'll happen. Pet child or not.

Those are going to be tier 12.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Tier XIV Japanese cruiser+anime tie in: That aegis destroyer from Zipang

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

kaesarsosei posted:

Overmatch is a horrendous mechanic (well maybe OK if it was rare, like in 2016). Fires are also OP. I would change the overmatch ratio so that again only 460mm+ is relevant, and I think HE needs nerfed across the board, perhaps make it about 75% as effective as right now.

I mean in the release version of warships half the tier 10 battleships overmatched every cruiser in the game, and practically all the battleships overmatched lower tier cruisers. Now if you don't like to be overmatched you can pick one of several cruisers that trade off damage output for better armor.

Fires are annoying but massively overrated in terms of actually killing anything, and HE is necessary since with a handful of exceptions small caliber AP does literally nothing to bow in ships (sure you could change the AP to damage bow in ships, but then the people complaining about HE spam would just complain about AP spam).

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Yes, please force me to play more Minotaur. It's incredibly taxing having to settle for doing 44k to a bow in BB in 30 seconds instead of doing 80k to them in 30 seconds if they turned broadside.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

James Garfield posted:

I mean in the release version of warships half the tier 10 battleships overmatched every cruiser in the game, and practically all the battleships overmatched lower tier cruisers. Now if you don't like to be overmatched you can pick one of several cruisers that trade off damage output for better armor.

In the release version of warships I could kill any ship while remaining permanently invisible in my Zao.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Blind fire HE spam was good and nobody will tell me otherwise :colbert:

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

suck my woke dick posted:

Blind fire HE spam was good and nobody will tell me otherwise :colbert:

blyskawica pre-blindfire nerf was so much fun. it was agile enough that if you were good, you could keep enemy ships in the blindfire zone most of the match and fire with impunity.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

kaesarsosei posted:

In the release version of warships I could kill any ship while remaining permanently invisible in my Zao.

That's right, the old versions were poorly balanced too. The CV rework sort of overshadows everything else but there have been fixes to lots of lovely ship gameplay.

But the fixation on 30 mm overmatch is really weird, there has been a popular battleship with 30 mm overmatch for the whole time the game has existed.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
Catching up to thread after a long while, and I'm sure that spending real dollars on this game is and always has been a bad idea...however, I just got my birthday email with the doubloon cashback bonus coupon and the temptation is alluring. Looking through the ships being offered in the Premium Shop, and I really don't know how to evaluate them. What would be some recommended picks? I generally prefer thinks that don't sink if the wind blows the wrong direction, but maybe some unique game-play would be fun, too.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
The Kidd is a Tier 8 DD with a heal, and thus durable. It is a very strong ship for contesting caps because it can heal up between skirmishes. If you're not a good DD player it still won't make up for lack of skill though.

Warspite has always been and continues to be my favorite BB in the game. It's not particularly unique but it is certainly superior to its tech tree counterpart.

Edit: Jean Bart or Dunkerque are not overpowered but also very fun.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
Thank you for the suggestions; I will take a look at those in the wiki and see if they interest.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I like the Neutrashimy. A good tough versatile DD

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
loving hell, WW1 battlecruisers are in the game now. That's my goddamn kryptonite.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Pioneer42 posted:

Catching up to thread after a long while, and I'm sure that spending real dollars on this game is and always has been a bad idea...however, I just got my birthday email with the doubloon cashback bonus coupon and the temptation is alluring. Looking through the ships being offered in the Premium Shop, and I really don't know how to evaluate them. What would be some recommended picks? I generally prefer thinks that don't sink if the wind blows the wrong direction, but maybe some unique game-play would be fun, too.

If you are interested in CVs, Chkalov is one of the most OP ships they have released in recent years - however now they have set the precedent of being able to nerf new premiums, I strongly suspect it and all the Russian CVs will be nerfed before Christmas.

Assuming like most that you have no interest in CVs, here is my shortlist of the best T8 Premium ships for sale for Doubloons (T8 and lower since you should really spend coal and not doubloons/cash on the T9s). They removed some of the strongest T8s a few months ago (eg Lenin, Massachussets) but these are still very good ships:

Borodino - strong Russian BB with Radar
Mainz - very strong German light cruiser with good AA, good hydro and some of the best DPM at T8
Atago - the very first premium ship is still one of the best. Stealthy, super HE alpha, strong torps, one of the few non-BBs with a heal at T8
Cossack - very good concealment and gunpower. Outguns anything close to its concealment and massively outspots anything that can outgun it.

There are also many good T7's but given T7's MM (faces a lot of T9 games) and you have the coupon, I would recommend T8.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
Thank you. After reviewing all of those, I have gone with the Mainz.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

https://www.twitch.tv/potatoquality_/clip/ElegantRelievedRhinocerosDoubleRainbow-RS0s1JNlr9a3ZMhe

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

I've seen even worse ones in his youtube video on subs in randoms. It's...yikes.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
We have to assume that WG are going to force these subs through in some shape or form. Maybe the solution for torps is counter-intuitive - if you can land torps "normally" ie like a DD, they get increased dmg. If they need to home in, then they get regular dmg. Or maybe you need to land a double ping just to enable homing...I don't know.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
As long as subs continue to be erased merely for being within ASW air strike range of any BB, I don’t really care about them, because their impact is negligible.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Blindeye posted:

I've seen even worse ones in his youtube video on subs in randoms. It's...yikes.

Theres been a few clips of torpedo hits on destroyers who have managed to 'dodge' what they think are the torps just to get smacked as they miss by a fair distance. I guess desync? But i've not seen Desync torps that have missed by that much before.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Preechr posted:

As long as subs continue to be erased merely for being within ASW air strike range of any BB, I don’t really care about them, because their impact is negligible.

Nah, just turn out sideways to them and you aren't going to get one shot.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Wait until more people learn to curve torps around islands :getin:

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Stanley Pain posted:

Wait until more people learn to curve torps around islands :getin:

That is quite tricky, because to get the torps around them you'd need to send them straight, and then once they are past, ping your target. Since the ping requires LOS though, you have to always be around the same island as the target to get them to do that. One of the more hilarious things though is that torps are always valuable until they run out. If your target dies or goes behind an island before they get there, you just ping someone else and off they go.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

toadee posted:

That is quite tricky, because to get the torps around them you'd need to send them straight, and then once they are past, ping your target. Since the ping requires LOS though, you have to always be around the same island as the target to get them to do that. One of the more hilarious things though is that torps are always valuable until they run out. If your target dies or goes behind an island before they get there, you just ping someone else and off they go.

Only reliably works if you manage to get someone to burn their damage con first, and they're moving through open water to behind cover.

I know a lot of people don't like subs and I don't like playing them all that much but I find they are an interesting addition and changes up the meta a fair bit. If there was a limit of 1 per team on a match I think it would be perfect.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
How different would the gameplay be for subs if torps couldn't be launched unless there was an active ping. But also, if you ping a different ship after launch, the active torps go dumbfire and stop tracking at all.

Edit: for that matter, they go dumbfire if the ping they were initially tracking drops.

JuffoWup fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

JuffoWup posted:

How different would the gameplay be for subs if torps couldn't be launched unless there was an active ping. But also, if you ping a different ship after launch, the active torps go dumbfire and stop tracking at all.

Edit: for that matter, they go dumbfire if the ping they were initially tracking drops.

You'd basically never hit anything with a sub then. More so if firing from underwater.