Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
much like guns, cars are deadly weapns and so to own a personal automobile you should have to keep it in a safe with a lock on the ignition at all times and sometimes you can get it towed to a closed driving course where you can drive it as fast as you want in a safe controlled environment before locking it away again to prevent daily misuse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Dolphin posted:

this defeats the only good purpose of cars which is sending rich people into poles at 200 loving miles per hour, disintegrating them in a raging conflagration

i prefer the old Roller Coaster Tycoon standby of “this track ends abruptly several stories up in the air” for the kind of disposal but as long as we have leftover cars I see no reason not to use them

e: ^^^ carefully lining up the sight post on top of my car before dropping the brick on the accelerator and sending it directly at a deer I’m hunting

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Norton posted:

you are trolling right?

what country are you living in where the roads are well designed and well maintained and never have any debris or other bad drivers on them? are you arguing that speed limits should be removed or what? do they even do crash tests over 75mph? what metric are you using to determine what is safe?

i think you need to check out this puzzle and see if you can solve it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3D7XYQExt0

No. Also there should be a graduated system of licensing where trucks/suvs are commercial licenses only. Yugo's are the general driving appliance cars for people who only drive cause they have to, also limited to the right lane only. (This works better then a governor because a yugo can only go like 60mph anyway). Then for people who actually know how to drive and treat it responsibly and have demonstrated proficiency by placing in the top 10% of a sanctioned racing event, they can drive any kind of car they want, and are allowed to use the full road.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I like the 2021 F150s but I'm gonna hold out for the maglev version

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
People can barely handle those dumb electric scooters that are everywhere in cities now.

As James may says, the craziest part of driving is that we are allowed to do it.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Had to drive to a work event last week and I got into an accident, loving hate cars my neck is so sore

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

zegermans posted:

Same size bed
the really stupid thing about this was it was done to satisfy CAFE fuel standard regulations, ostensibly to help save the environment. basically small trucks are still pretty dang heavy compared to cars due to the utilitarian nature of their construction, but the fuel economy regulations go by square feet of vehicle footprint. that means big fuckoff trucks get to have lower mpgs than itty bitty trucks, and it's easier and cheaper to just make a big fuckoff truck with low mpgs and pass the cost on to the consumer and americans don't give a gently caress because they're dumber than dogshit

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Mayor Dave posted:

Had to drive to a work event last week and I got into an accident, loving hate cars my neck is so sore

you need a bigger car so you can not even feel an accident when you plow through/runover whatever

makes driving a lot smoother

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

i say swears online posted:

I live right next to the fastest road in the US with a limit of 85mph. It was cool for about a year but at only two lanes per side it's been destroyed by trucks and has thousands of potholes patched over and over

otoh I drove with my german foreign exchange student on the autobahn and 120mph feels like butter in german engineering. he races porsches now

where is there an 85mph road, one of the dakotas?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

never been up there, but it’s 85 on the interstates all over the southwestern desert areas, between towns

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

cool av posted:

you could get shot for not driving aggressively enough

sounds like a win to me on hell earth

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Saw an 85 mph road near Boulder and I was like yeah this is dumb poo poo

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

ArmZ posted:

that's a great idea. i bet you could even connect the cars together for people who were going to the same destination to make it easier.

you can sdd steel wheels for less friction and higher efficiency, then just make simple steel tracks instead of complicated magnetic strips and lidar

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Dolphin posted:

the really stupid thing about this was it was done to satisfy CAFE fuel standard regulations, ostensibly to help save the environment. basically small trucks are still pretty dang heavy compared to cars due to the utilitarian nature of their construction, but the fuel economy regulations go by square feet of vehicle footprint. that means big fuckoff trucks get to have lower mpgs than itty bitty trucks, and it's easier and cheaper to just make a big fuckoff truck with low mpgs and pass the cost on to the consumer and americans don't give a gently caress because they're dumber than dogshit

lmao. Is that seriously how the law was written? Goddamn that's loving trash.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

language was a mistake

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Dolphin posted:

and it's easier and cheaper to just make a big fuckoff truck with low mpgs and pass the cost on to the consumer and americans don't give a gently caress because they're dumber than dogshit
lol

i would also say americans are not just dumb as poo poo, but they absolutely love it. big = safer.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

what do you need to go 100 mph for

Look, if you know of a better way to occupy all points of time and space simultaneously and evolve into a space iguana, let me know.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

ArmZ posted:

that's a great idea. i bet you could even connect the cars together for people who were going to the same destination to make it easier.

Everybody in the world comes up with ideas to make cars better.
"Oh poo poo I accidentally built a train. "

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Everybody in the world comes up with ideas to make cars better.
"Oh poo poo I accidentally built a train. "

Elon Musk's "What if trains but it's actually just cars in a tunnel and also if it breaks down everyone inside is hosed" idea has a terrible beauty to it.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Xaris posted:

lol

i would also say americans are not just dumb as poo poo, but they absolutely love it. big = safer.

some dude did a market analysis and it basically broke down to not only big = safer but suburban-americans select vehicles based on how well they look like they’d handle being driven into a crowd of protestors (actually specifically that) which is why everything looks like a pillbox with weenie widdle gunslits for windows

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

suburban austin lol, it was built as a truck bypass to get them to avoid downtown but sprawl has reached it and now anyone that buys a house there is cornered into using an expensive and dangerous toll road lol

I rode my bike on it once just to say gently caress you and it was cool and scary

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

car companies conspired to literally make public transportation hell to make people buy cars in the streetcar conspiracy, were caught, and the powers in charge just shrugged their shoulders and it’s the reason to this day we have the lovely bus systems we have

this is from many pages ago but it rules that car companies didn't even have to conspire to do this, all you need is for something like 15 percent of workers to start using cars and then any streetcar lane that isn't separated from car traffic will get bogged down, stuck behind drivers 'just running in for a minute' or waiting behind a car waiting for pedestrians to clear the intersection to make a right turn. cars are such voracious and inefficient users of space that they immediately make everything else worse if you don't build in serious protections against them

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Lastgirl posted:

because the faster you drive, the less time you have to drive

yeah basically. if I could cruise at 90 the whole way my work commute would be cut in half. or if there were a subway system to get me there

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

indigi posted:

yeah basically. if I could cruise at 90 the whole way my work commute would be cut in half. or if there were a subway system to get me there

you should cruise at 270 then

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
build me a hyper loop and I will

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

actionjackson posted:

thanks, that was the pic I was looking for!

btw here's some info on freeway lids. this is one being proposed to go over 94 in the area that was probably the most destroyed by the freeway.

Apparently Seattle just approved lids to cover the segment of I-5 that goes over downtown. They are currently working on a lid in another area to be done by 2024, then will do the I-5 one which should be done in 2030 (lol)

https://www.planetizen.com/news/2021/09/114797-seattle-freeway-lid-expected-2030

And the proposed one in Atlanta (see bottom of page) would be dope as hell

https://reconnectrondo.com/landbridge/

That's actually just a tiny segment outside of downtown to make things nicer for the single family rich people neighborhoods outside of downtown (north cap hill and montlake), not the huge scar through the middle of downtown itself.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

The Oldest Man posted:

That's actually just a tiny segment outside of downtown to make things nicer for the single family rich people neighborhoods outside of downtown (north cap hill and montlake), not the huge scar through the middle of downtown itself.

lol you just reminded me of when howard schultz got bullied out of montlake for trying to eminent domain a city park into being his personal driveway.

anyways they should just extend the existing freeway park to cover the entire interstate through the seattle area and turn it into a massive combination brutalist nature conservatory / safe injection zone

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Mr. Sharps posted:

lol you just reminded me of when howard schultz got bullied out of montlake for trying to eminent domain a city park into being his personal driveway.

anyways they should just extend the existing freeway park to cover the entire interstate through the seattle area and turn it into a massive combination brutalist nature conservatory / safe injection zone

50x larger brutalist freeway park labyrinth would be amazing, real shadowrun vibes+

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

what if every bridge was also a tunnel

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

LonsomeSon posted:

every bridge is a tunnel through the air

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

LonsomeSon posted:

i think this was part of the master plan of Moria

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

mind = double blown now I love cars (send help (via blunt-force trauma))

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I love this especially the title

https://www.cnu.org/sites/default/files/FreewaysWithoutFutures_2021.pdf

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

three billion human lives ended on August 29, 1997 June 29, 1956. the survivors of the nuclear fire freeway construction called this day Judgment Federal Aid Highway Act of 1956 Day. They lived only to fight a new nightmare, the War Against The Machines Cars.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

actionjackson posted:

thanks, that was the pic I was looking for!

btw here's some info on freeway lids. this is one being proposed to go over 94 in the area that was probably the most destroyed by the freeway.

Apparently Seattle just approved lids to cover the segment of I-5 that goes over downtown. They are currently working on a lid in another area to be done by 2024, then will do the I-5 one which should be done in 2030 (lol)

https://www.planetizen.com/news/2021/09/114797-seattle-freeway-lid-expected-2030

And the proposed one in Atlanta (see bottom of page) would be dope as hell

https://reconnectrondo.com/landbridge/

nice

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

No. Also there should be a graduated system of licensing where trucks/suvs are commercial licenses only. Yugo's are the general driving appliance cars for people who only drive cause they have to, also limited to the right lane only. (This works better then a governor because a yugo can only go like 60mph anyway). Then for people who actually know how to drive and treat it responsibly and have demonstrated proficiency by placing in the top 10% of a sanctioned racing event, they can drive any kind of car they want, and are allowed to use the full road.

there shouldn’t be cars

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

send this to the guy earlier in the thread who complained that his large dog requires the US to be enslaved to Moloch, ie the Car, which I hate

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

LonsomeSon posted:

it’s not like I was unaware of size creep in pickups over the years, that’s just hilariously stark with the bed-size fact laid out

the average american is also 300% larger so it makes sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Dolphin posted:

i think a 2021 f150 has way better mpg than a 1996 ford ranger

oh yeah it does 5 more mpg. in fact that v8 96 ford ranger gets worse mpg than a raptor