Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Hypothesis: the evidence of Big Kaiju Shoko Nakajima implies the existence of a smaller, littler kaiju :thunkher:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

I do agree on the skill level comment but I think that the skill level exists in a context.

I absolutely agree that only the top tier of their performers are as skilled in-ring as the highest level of Joshi. They're decidedly not a workrate promotion. However I don't feel like there's anyone in the promotion whose skill level is below what is necessary for their role (Toribami is still learning, but she's in a rookie role). Additionally, most of the current roster are only a couple of years into their careers and most of them were trained by and have largely worked in TJPW. Mizuki was trained externally and worked in Gatoh Move to begin with, the The French obviously never learned to wrestle but had the skills bestowed on them by a wizard in a chateau somewhere, but pretty much everyone else currently on the roster was trained internally and hasn't worked extensively outside of TJPW. That can hothouse people, but can also mean that their styles can have a lot of similarity where freelance work would expose them to more diverse styles.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Rarity posted:

Hypothesis: the evidence of Big Kaiju Shoko Nakajima implies the existence of a smaller, littler kaiju :thunkher:

We call this the Swole conjecture.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
The only impressions I remember from my first exposure to TJPW I remember is that I didn't like the Yellow up up girl so my dislike of Raku started from the very beginning. Back then the thing that annoyed me most about her was her selling.

And the second impression that I remember having was being in awe of Maho and her gimmick.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Yeah I had the impression the roster was all very new and mostly in their early days so I get the ability levels not being great

Watching Day 3 now and Mizuki feels like if Riho was possessed by a devious goblin

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Raku was my least favourite Up Up Girl because she is not good at wretling (her title match with Hikari notwithstanding which I thought was good), but she really won me over was during the Princess Cup Tour when they ran four days in a row. We saw a bunch of alt outfits (Pom, Nao, maybe Marika) but when day three rolled around they were back in their main outfits. Not Raku though, she brought a second alternate outfit so she could stave off doing laundry for another day.

Also her slingblade, which I think looks really good with her poofy skirt wooshing around

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Talking of bad wrestling, from watching the Stardom 5☆GP I can conclude that Ruaka is pretty bad. Which is understandable, this is the first year she's been old enough to work a full-time schedule. But man, when you have a mediocre match with Iroha it's a rough sign. She just doesn't have much presence or charisma or fire and her offence is not exactly convincing.

I'd say she's definitely a weaker performer than Rina who is younger and has much less ringtime. Rina feels like she's gained something since turning and joining Oedo Tai where as Ruaka...hasn't

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

SG Bamboo posted:

Raku was my least favourite Up Up Girl because she is not good at wretling (her title match with Hikari notwithstanding which I thought was good), but she really won me over was during the Princess Cup Tour when they ran four days in a row. We saw a bunch of alt outfits (Pom, Nao, maybe Marika) but when day three rolled around they were back in their main outfits. Not Raku though, she brought a second alternate outfit so she could stave off doing laundry for another day.

Also her slingblade, which I think looks really good with her poofy skirt wooshing around

Yeah, the thing about Raku is that her wrestling usually isn't great, but she has the best solo theme of the Up Up Girls, her train enthusiasm is very funny, and like Chris Brookes you start kind of ironically liking Raku and eventually you are fully on board the goodnight express.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom

forkboy84 posted:

Talking of bad wrestling, from watching the Stardom 5☆GP I can conclude that Ruaka is pretty bad. Which is understandable, this is the first year she's been old enough to work a full-time schedule. But man, when you have a mediocre match with Iroha it's a rough sign. She just doesn't have much presence or charisma or fire and her offence is not exactly convincing.

I'd say she's definitely a weaker performer than Rina who is younger and has much less ringtime. Rina feels like she's gained something since turning and joining Oedo Tai where as Ruaka...hasn't

Agreed. Her matches are pretty much all skipable. Maybe she gets better but I'm not really expecting much from her.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Oh no I've just realised Miyu wrestles in Vibrams :negative:

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Rarity posted:

It's the only bad thing about her, unfortunately it comes as part of the package

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Rarity posted:

kickboxers are all sickos

see: yukio sakaguchi

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ItohRespectArmy posted:

kickboxers are all sickos

see: yukio sakaguchi

We will have to rely on Itoh-chan to save us from this madness :pray:

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

SG Bamboo posted:

Raku was my least favourite Up Up Girl because she is not good at wretling

Pinano Pipipipi died for Raku's sins

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I do kind of wish Raku would ease up on the brain chops now that she's learned to do more real moves, but I've grown pretty fond of her over the years. Part of it is that even though she's still not an amazing worker, she's come so far from when I started watching that I can't help but respect her effort. She also feels like she's pushed at the proper level for her ability and emotion and history have helped whenever she's been near the top of the card.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Rake isn’t good at wrestling but she’s great at sorcery.

Also I wish to achieve the level of contentment that Namba gets from reading stuff off a clipboard.

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

Can't wait for Rarity to have the "it's a random throw-away show, but everyone involved decided to turn it up to 11" TJPW experience... You never know why it's happening, but it always rules.

I think a lot of the charm of TJPW is the clearly defined characters, even if some are less in-ring capable than others. They roped me in with Miyu gifs and Maki's twitter game and it I remember being somewhat disappointed at certain roster members in the very beginning of following the company. In time they either vastly improved (i.e. Suzume), or I became more accustomed to their antics and found enjoyment in that (i.e. that goddamn clown).

As an aside Rarity, I'd recommend going back to the "That's J-PW" series of shows - with Brookes and Akki on commentary and promos before each match it was a real fun way to learn more about the roster imho: https://www.wrestle-universe.com/en/search?words=that%27s+j-pw

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

My favorite thing about Raku is that she's inexplicably good at slingblades which maybe 5 people in the world do well.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
please respect raku

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

karmicknight posted:

please respect raku

Raku Respect Army.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
Are there any gifs of Raku's slingblade from TDE Gifs or anything? I've seen a little TJPW but for some reason her Slingblade looks like a JBL spinning clothesline from Hell

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Tampa Bae posted:

Are there any gifs of Raku's slingblade from TDE Gifs or anything? I've seen a little TJPW but for some reason her Slingblade looks like a JBL spinning clothesline from Hell

https://twitter.com/tde_gif/status/1405470625817403394

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The short Maki/Raku storyline where Maki decided she was going to drag Raku to victories in tag matches was great

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
TJPW being a promotion about weirdos interacting is the best, yeah.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

It still looks like a spinning clothesline to hell to me, there's a lot of really lazy Slingblades in wrestling these days

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I don't know if I'm going to be a regular TJPW viewer, I'm mostly here to see Maki win the big one. I wanna get through all the Princess Cup before Wrestle Princess and then I may well catch up with the English shows but I dunno if I have the time to spare to watch everything on an ongoing basis

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
The nice thing about most tjpw shows is that they are nice little compact 1.5-2 hour shows. Usually if it times out well I'll hang out in the post-rampage discord call and watch TJPW. Worst case I watch it while doing my weekly cleaning.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

The nice thing about TJPW is that there's subtle storylines and major storylines and it doesn't matter if you're a long-time viewer or a first time viewer because you're just going to get TJPW every single show. They've done a really good job at giving everyone pretty distinct gear and wrestling styles at a glance.

There's a couple girls that wear mostly pink. Is she the one who does the big swings or the one who kicks people in the face? Two girls who wear yellow, is she the one who dropkicks people and flies off the top rope with twintails or the one who sits on people and puts them to sleep? Even if you're as vague as the tall one with light colored hair you can narrow it down to the regal one who hits people with roses or the flaky one that pokes people in the eyes

It's not the best wrestling but they're nailing personalities and unique wrestling styles.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

TJPW is best with the live translation thread, since that fills in a lot of the character beats for non-japanese speakers.
Like:
-Raku loves trains and is an avid sorcery practitioner. Also a nap expert.
-Pom is a literal child trapped in a woman's body. Maki Itoh's reconstructive surgery was a reinforced skull.
-Hikari Noa named her scar, which I forget the name of.
-Kamiyu has an imaginary friend that is a giant champagne bottle named Princess Party Pants.
-Miu really loves the color pink, idols and lifting heavy.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

I've come to the conclusion that I want Maki to win at Wrestle Princess. Not just because it will be amazing in and of itself, but being potentially surpassed by her could leave Mizuki emotionally vulnerable enough to join Sakisama.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

it'd def make date night weird.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I see TJPW & Stardom have their big shows head to head this weekend. Well, starting within an hour of each other.

Obviously the top 2 matches at Wrestle Princess are very good, the main event has been fantastically built.

But man. Hayashishita vs Iroha, banger. Nakano vs Iwatani, banger. Syuri vs Konami, banger. Plus Hazuki's return against Koguma, their first match together in 6 & a half years.

On the other hand, Unagi vs Ruaka for the Future Of Stardom belt is a match designed to make me mildly grumpy.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

I see TJPW & Stardom have their big shows head to head this weekend. Well, starting within an hour of each other.

Obviously the top 2 matches at Wrestle Princess are very good, the main event has been fantastically built.

But man. Hayashishita vs Iroha, banger. Nakano vs Iwatani, banger. Syuri vs Konami, banger. Plus Hazuki's return against Koguma, their first match together in 6 & a half years.

On the other hand, Unagi vs Ruaka for the Future Of Stardom belt is a match designed to make me mildly grumpy.

STARDOM still isn't streamed live, right?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Hazuki returning to stardom made me feel the way the people who were excited for Thea Trinidad felt when she returned to wwe

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Pylons posted:

Before they got TV they used to do their big shows on niconico. Idk how it’s handled now.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

That’s a stacked Stardom card.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Pylons posted:

They stream big shows like this on iPPV, and while I've not confirmed it yet I'd assume that's the case here too. Hope it is.

It'll then be up on World by the following Thursday if my memory is right. I'll probably wait because 1pm JST is far too early for me in the UK, but if it was a later start I'd definitely want to watch live

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

TV Zombie posted:

That’s a stacked Stardom card.

And somehow I missed that there's an Artist of Stardom Match between Donna Del Mondo & Queen's Quest too

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Renaissance Spam posted:

I've come to the conclusion that I want Maki to win at Wrestle Princess. Not just because it will be amazing in and of itself, but being potentially surpassed by her could leave Mizuki emotionally vulnerable enough to join Sakisama.

:sickos:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Stardom announced the ippv for Saturday.

https://twitter.com/we_are_stardom/status/1445193453197946882