Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Ynglaur posted:

Are you interested in cloud architecture of any kind?

Quite possibly! I did some AWS training and labbing about two years ago and I found it clicked pretty well although I haven't had much chance to use it recently other than a project to implement PAN firewalls with transit gateways last year. I've done a little bit with Azure but for some reason it didn't click as readily as AWS did for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Even if you were not I'd highly recommend at least getting a feel for it, its where most things are heading.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
So... unpreventable brute-force attacks against any AzureAD account with a password?

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2021/09/new-azure-active-directory-password-brute-forcing-flaw-has-no-fix/

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

i love cloud

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
"Security was out of scope for this project" - Microsoft

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Everyone at the ForgeRock and Oktas of the world are high-fiving each other right now.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/MikaelThalen/status/1443303462054236160?s=20

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

So I got dropped in the deep end (aka the job that was told in the interview has little resemblance to the job I am now required to do) and so now I need to create and implement a data governance policy for this organisation.

I'm currently going through some MS learn modules on DLP, retention policies, data sensitivity labels and all that poo poo, but are there any other resources out there that can give me a hand?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

NPR Journalizard posted:

So I got dropped in the deep end (aka the job that was told in the interview has little resemblance to the job I am now required to do) and so now I need to create and implement a data governance policy for this organisation.

I'm currently going through some MS learn modules on DLP, retention policies, data sensitivity labels and all that poo poo, but are there any other resources out there that can give me a hand?

When in doubt, throw it out. My advice is to take a clue from GDPR and require everyone who is collecting data to note down what days they are collecting and for what purpose. And then say that they can't have data more than 5 years old unless they have a good reason. It's an impossible sell to anyone though.

Honestly, it's a tough job. Getting an overview of what data you have is basically impossible, which is why I recommend distributed responsibility to data owners. Then a broad strokes policy on how long to keep like 5 types of data (PII, sensitive PII, financial, commercial sensitive, public stuff, other - just very generically). You want to automate stuff, because no one is gonna manually label anything.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

NPR Journalizard posted:

What is the scope of the data you are trying to write a data governance policy for? Sounds like you were given the work nobody else wanted to do. Writing policies is maybe the worst infosec duty there is.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Sickening posted:

What is the scope of the data you are trying to write a data governance policy for? Sounds like you were given the work nobody else wanted to do. Writing policies is maybe the worst infosec duty there is.

I can't see how policy writer is worse than soc monitoring duty.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Defenestrategy posted:

I can't see how policy writer is worse than soc monitoring duty.

p sure you can spend alot more time loving around in any monitoring duty than something where you have to actually produce results

this depends on how noisy your environment is, obviously

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

RFC2324 posted:

p sure you can spend alot more time loving around in any monitoring duty than something where you have to actually produce results

this depends on how noisy your environment is, obviously

The skills that make you a good policy writer really don't overlap much with the skills that make you a good inforsec employee. Your average infosec person is going to write poo poo policies and is going to hate themselves while doing it.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Sickening posted:

The skills that make you a good policy writer really don't overlap much with the skills that make you a good inforsec employee. Your average infosec person is going to write poo poo policies and is going to hate themselves while doing it.

what?

I was just saying monitoring duty isn't all bad because you can get paid to spend a much larger portion of your time on the forums/playing video games/whatever

when I get sunday monitoring duty I just set my laptop next to me in the living room while playing games, and its pretty nice.

then everything catches fire at once and I log 6 hours on a pause screen

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

BonHair posted:

When in doubt, throw it out. My advice is to take a clue from GDPR and require everyone who is collecting data to note down what days they are collecting and for what purpose. And then say that they can't have data more than 5 years old unless they have a good reason. It's an impossible sell to anyone though.

Honestly, it's a tough job. Getting an overview of what data you have is basically impossible, which is why I recommend distributed responsibility to data owners. Then a broad strokes policy on how long to keep like 5 types of data (PII, sensitive PII, financial, commercial sensitive, public stuff, other - just very generically). You want to automate stuff, because no one is gonna manually label anything.

Yeah, the more I read, the more issues pop up and the worse this project gets.

It's a health care provider in Australia though, so there are legislative requirements for some stuff as well. Definitely going to go the automation route, with generic labels for users to apply.

Sickening posted:

100% it's a job no-one else wants to do. The previous person they hired took 3 weeks to look up a couple of state government guidelines and then quit.

Scope is fairly broad. Health records, financial data, personal stuff. There is effectively nothing being managed right now.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Sickening posted:

Eh, this is only true if you consider infosec a technical field. You need policymakers in your infosec team if you want to have meaningful security governance.

But otherwise yeah, totally agree, technical experts write terrible policies, as do most narrow field experts. I'm looking especially at legal here. You need to look at the big picture and the target audience, and that's hard as gently caress, especially if you know all the computer/legal/financial/etc details and want to cover them all. A policy should have intentions and a few minimum requirements, and, if you don't use rule based governance, very clearly defined responsibilities. And then you have to implement the thing, and then you can look at whether the idiots in IT (or wherever) actually follow the policy at all, and if they do, if their practice is what you intended.
Then begins the cycle of plan, do, check, act.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

NPR Journalizard posted:

It's a health care provider in Australia though, so there are legislative requirements for some stuff as well. Definitely going to go the automation route, with generic labels for users

Doesn't sound automatic enough in my experience. Users will not apply labels, even if it's literally one click on a flashing button with a chocolate reward.

You want to define, for the previously mentioned broad data sets:

• who is allowed access (role based)
  • who is responsible for the data in general
  • who is responsible for the specific entries
  • how long should you keep data
  • how critical is this data

Then, I would probably look at systems and figure out responsibility for them. And then you can assume that all data in a given system is of the most critical type and treat the system accordingly.

Afterwards you can get fancy and think about interconnected systems, different applications of data (warehouse data vs active patient files for example) and differentiation within systems. But that's later. Hint: the AD gives access to probably everything, and there's a dude with global rights.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Sickening posted:

Nah, enforcing policies without mandate/budget is.

Sickening posted:

The skills that make you a good policy writer really don't overlap much with the skills that make you a good inforsec employee.
LOL. It's absolutely loving paramount that whoever writes policy be infosec literate on top of being a decent writer, and a sociable person (so the org will actually talk/listen to you), and up to date on applicable regs.

BonHair posted:

Hint: the AD gives access to probably everything, and there's a dude with global rights.
oh man i wish.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Sep 30, 2021

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

oh man i wish.

Not at the application level, but at the database level.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'm using Pi Hole. After updating it today, I noticed some of the default adlists are defunct. Trying to figure out where to find a Pi Hole curated list of current sources, I'm being sent all over the web to assemble poo poo on my own instead of getting just simple recommendations. What am I doing wrong? I mean, the install came with some defaults way back then, why can't I seem to find a curated current list (other than I suppose reinstalling from scratch)?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Check the reddit for Pi-Hole. There are a ton of links to curated lists.

Also thanks for the reminder to update my Pi-Hole!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The Apple hits keep coming. Don't scan found airtags because apple didn't sanitize the phone number field and it could be used to inject any manner of fun stuff into a browser.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2021/09/apple-airtags-can-be-abused-to-direct-finders-to-malicious-websites/

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

bull3964 posted:

The Apple hits keep coming. Don't scan found airtags because apple didn't sanitize the phone number field and it could be used to inject any manner of fun stuff into a browser.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2021/09/apple-airtags-can-be-abused-to-direct-finders-to-malicious-websites/

Don't tell me what my phone number is or is not

<:mad:>

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

bull3964 posted:

"Stop auditing our products for security holes, all right?" - Apple.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

CommieGIR posted:

"Stop auditing our products for security holes, all right?" - Apple.

Lol, like people are going to stop buying our stuff nerds? - Apple

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
"All the bitcoin miners were put there by us, okay?" - Apple Support

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

NPR Journalizard posted:

It's a health care provider in Australia though, so there are legislative requirements for some stuff as well. Definitely going to go the automation route, with generic labels for users to apply.

100% it's a job no-one else wants to do. The previous person they hired took 3 weeks to look up a couple of state government guidelines and then quit.

Scope is fairly broad. Health records, financial data, personal stuff. There is effectively nothing being managed right now.

I do this as part of my jerb, and I get to try to wrangle defense-adjacent info as well. M365 is your friend, you're definitely barking up the right tree.

All products in this space are awful, to M365's isn't quiiiiiiiiite so bad

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Is everyone laughing at Facebook right now? I am
https://twitter.com/briankrebs/status/1445077617426718725?s=19

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I am, but krebs description of the issue bothers me

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

This particular tidbit is unconfirmed, but I still laughed my head off at it:

https://twitter.com/sheeraf/status/1445099150316503057

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Powered Descent posted:

Finally the internet of poo poo comes home to roost.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

I hope they don't have any locked from the inside doors

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Some intern /must/ have fudged something, I can't imagine Facebook not being their own registrar

Imagine Facebook forgetting to pay their domain fee to themselves

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Barring a statement from Facebook directly, the consensus among Twitter experts is that there was a config issue with bgp that resulted in a huge chunk of routes to fb infra just being straight up deleted. The most visible of which was the dns servers.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

The interesting thing for me is that the card readers should still have some local copies of the credentials. They may not have the entire company but generally you should be able to access your building. A network failure is something you plan for with access control.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The Fool posted:

Barring a statement from Facebook directly, the consensus among Twitter experts is that there was a config issue with bgp that resulted in a huge chunk of routes to fb infra just being straight up deleted. The most visible of which was the dns servers.

I'm assuming the reports that the domain is up for sale are just automated ads posted for every domain record that doesn't have a functional resolution?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Facebook seems like the sort of place that would roll their own door access and not really take advice from existing vendors

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Thomamelas posted:

The interesting thing for me is that the card readers should still have some local copies of the credentials. They may not have the entire company but generally you should be able to access your building. A network failure is something you plan for with access control.

"But here at FB we're very smart and the local LAN will always work!" <proceeds to use external DNS for services>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Krebs loving sucks, but this entire problem is lol