Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

to be fair to postal that's pretty on brand for all their games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Postal 2 is now my most regretted purchase because RWS has basically embraced the whole "offend everyone" standpoint to just ludicrous levels

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Zeether posted:

Postal 2 is now my most regretted purchase

I bought Fallout 4 for €70 on PS4

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/DaveOshry/status/1444653253539495939

took them a while but they done a good postal game finally

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

fatherboxx posted:

took them a while but they done a good postal game finally

But it's still Postal. :barf:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Zeether posted:

Postal 2 is now my most regretted purchase because RWS has basically embraced the whole "offend everyone" standpoint to just ludicrous levels

the funny thing is that it's never 'offend everyone', people who retreat under that umbrella are generally pretty specific about what they choose to have a chip on their shoulder about and mostly just assume everyone is a moron and won't notice lmao

Weedle
May 31, 2006

noah caldwell-gervais’ postal video made me think there’s the seed of what could be a good game somewhere in postal 2. the open-world rural town could be a good setting for an immersive sim where you’re like, a teen delinquent committing petty crimes. dirtbag thief. obviously it would need to not be made by anyone connected to the postal series

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Weedle posted:

noah caldwell-gervais’ postal video made me think there’s the seed of what could be a good game somewhere in postal 2. the open-world rural town could be a good setting for an immersive sim where you’re like, a teen delinquent committing petty crimes. dirtbag thief. obviously it would need to not be made by anyone connected to the postal series

Ah a game made about my friends and I

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

My Summer Car but it's in Appalachia

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

It’s really cool that Marathon Aleph One now supports framerates over 30 fps. I played through Marathon Infinity last week and it’s a much better experience now. I’m glad to see the modding community is still working on projects.

I found a couple YouTube channels focused on Marathon content.

This person has complete playthroughs of several major total conversions, including Marathon Rubicon.
https://youtube.com/channel/UC9pGYNNhNohwF-wuNitynrg

This person has uploaded a huge trove of Vidmaster Challenge videos. There’s also videos of in-progress mods.
https://youtube.com/c/MarathonVidmaster

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Weedle posted:

Yeah Bully was pretty good

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
tbh any open world game with ragdoll physics, a kick button, liquid physics, fire leading to burning people setting other people and things on fire, throwable scissors, a cat gun and, if you have mods, a nuclear bomb, will be entertaining unless you really gently caress it up

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Weedle posted:

Thief Simulator is half of this, it has the stealing of items and the hotwiring of cars but it doesn't have the causing general mayhem during the day part

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4AuHnNDk9A

Weedle
May 31, 2006

who's excited to experience some ARTHURIAN LEGENDS today????

https://store.steampowered.com/app/658890/Arthurian_Legends/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah Bully was pretty good

i replayed it not too long ago and it mostly isn't :mrwhite:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Weedle posted:

who's excited to experience some ARTHURIAN LEGENDS today????

https://store.steampowered.com/app/658890/Arthurian_Legends/

Nice to see one of these I'm interested in release before the heat death of the universe.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Oh it has a demo too

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

Nice to see one of these I'm interested in release before the abrupt and frankly overdue collapse of human civilization

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
no convex, you are the demons

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Tim Thomas posted:

no convex, you are the demons

ah .snomed eht ,em llik tsum uoy smurof eht niw ot

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
First Supplice demo level is pretty fun; aesthetically and in terms of the music, it reminds me a lot of BtSX.

I thought enemies had bizarrely high health on normal, but it turns out it's just that the pistol replacement sucks rear end. The shotgun sounds and feels great.

Also, I guess Marathon is a bit of an inspiration even though this runs on GZDoom:

e; the secret room filled with 5-6 chaingunners with hellbarron HP can gently caress off, though.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 4, 2021

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Based just on the two levels in the Demo, everything is definitely Charon’s fault somehow

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

If you name an AI "Charon" you deserve what you get, frankly.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's out

https://twitter.com/ArthurianDev/status/1445086537851588610?s=20

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
any one know what engine the arthur game is on?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Squeezy Farm posted:

any one know what engine the arthur game is on?
001 Game Creator, whatever the unholy hell that is.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
holy poo poo this website is fuckin gold

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The Fallen Aces demo was fantastic but way too short. I wasn't expecting it to have stealth mechanics and immersive-sim-adjacent level design, either.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Supplice levels reminded me more of Dark Forces than Doom which is good probably.

Chaingunners can suck my dick

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Tim Thomas posted:

holy poo poo this website is fuckin gold

her: look honey, Facebook committed suicide
him: Nice!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

how's the accurate medieval england simulator game

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

good yeah, boris is trying to hire loads of truck drivers to deliver food and petrol

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
Arthurian Legacy is cool but seems a little shallow. THere are a ton of "belt" items which i've never liked because the inventory selection is always clunky enough that I end up only using healing items out of combat. I'm only in to the third level but encounters have been 2-3 enemies max and they seem to insta-aggro when you're near, so you can't play too sneaky. Engage with ranged weapons until they're close and if they make it to you (the hatchets do a lot of damage) do a little berserk fist style backpedaling to finish them.

It doesn't run great either (hovers around 50-80 fps which stinks when you're used to Doom/Quake at 144+) and with how it looks and plays it seems like they ought to have used gzdoom.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/TafferKing451/status/1444989809131356164?s=20

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i tried out the arthurian legends game demo. not sure if it's just tonight getting to me or something but the game felt weirdly cramped a lot of the time and it sort of gave me a headache. maybe fiddling with options more might solve that? otherwise it seems pretty decent. i think the demo will give you a good idea on if you want to get the full game. i wasn't very good at finding secrets so i maybe missed out on the chance to mess with magic scrolls and the like if those were hidden about the two levels it gives you to bump around in.

you start out with an unbreakable axe as your basic weapon, which is notable because as you go beyond that you get varying ranged options with ammo such as a crossbow or throwing axes or further melee options with durability so that they effectively count as having ammo to whatever degree. shields you pick up have durability and combat can involve either attacking at the same time as someone to parry the blow and nullify it or using something like aforementioned shields to block it with less durability damage done if you block right before a hit connects. overall it feels solid enough as a basic combat loop once you get into the feel of moving through your options if only so you don't sit on a bunch of ammo forever and never use it. if the demo is any clue you might not have to worry about running dry unless you refuse to ever use melee.

overall it seems like a neat enough game. i might pick up the full version sooner or later after seeing about fiddling with some options and finding out if that helps. i can't really point out anything i consider outright bad about it and most of my complaints mostly come down to nitpicks like having a bunch of inventory options feeling a bit excessive and unneeded in most scenarios, which can ultimately boil down to being personal preferences i guess. it's aiming for a very particular aesthetic and is one of those cases where you either Get It or think it sucks and as i said the demo will give you an idea on that, so that was a cool move on the dev's part.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

it could be better for sure but it is also exactly what i wanted, which is a weird medieval-themed fps with lots of melee combat and janky grainy 2.5d graphics. i was so desperate for something like this that i really did almost buy witchaven on gog but talked myself out of it at the last second

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

to be clear i definitely don't think it's bad, just endearingly jank in some form or another i can't 100% put my finger on. also bumping the fov to 120 works wonders, i've found. anything that keeps someone from buying witchaven is a good thing.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'll definitely try the demo and the FoV thing because on the videos it looked really narrow by default. The sound is great.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

i love the look of the characters in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Supplice isn't doing much for me. The presentation is great and all (more games need Marathon style terminals), but it just doesn't play that well for me. The levels feel really overdetailed. Like I think the levels make it clear where you need to go for the most part, but trying to find secrets is painful. The secrets I did find I just randomly stumbled upon. They were not very rewarding, either. One of the secrets I found had an ambush for a pittance of rocket launcher ammo. I played on Hard and the amount of ammo overall was extremely tight, particularly the second level.

Enemy design is okay I guess, but I think the shark Hell Knights and the Tandems need less health. I know Tandem is being addressed, but the shark guys get pretty obnoxious at times. They make barely any noise, too. Like enemies in most FPS games I've played have distinct calls, but they're so vague here that I don't always know what I'm dealing with until they tear my face off. Tandems are the worst because damage feedback in this game is poor and they tend to kill me before I realize they're shooting me. The first time I encountered one of those Brain Halos, it killed me in like half a second because the projectiles go right through you and tend to linger.