Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Laserjet 4P posted:

Massive, Massive X, Serum, Sylenth : none of those are Virus replacements.

https://www.reveal-sound.com/ or https://www.synapse-audio.com/dune3.html are much closer.

Also, when https://dsp56300.wordpress.com/ gets its own built-in editor... :getin:

I was thinking about this a while ago, but never knew just how many synths ran on the 56k (tons of FX used it too). I'd say it's about time for a soft virus. Kind of surprised it currently maxes out an i7, probably still plenty to optimize.

snorch fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

dexefiend posted:

Zlob modules...

ED: This arp is f#$%^ awesome. I have found the toy of the century here.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 3, 2021

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
e: quote not edit

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

dexefiend posted:

I have been busy soldering.

Now to calibrate my Zlob modules... This isn't as easy as tuning the KickAll.

Edit:
Last night, I figured out why reverse power protection is so important. "Hey, why aren't the LEDs on the Triple Cap Chaos working correctly?"

I also have decided that I love soldering.
Dang I love the look of that rack. What do you have for sound sources in there?
I recognize the kickall, but I'm having a tough time making out the upper left area, and am not familiar with many modules.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

B33rChiller posted:

Dang I love the look of that rack. What do you have for sound sources in there?
I recognize the kickall, but I'm having a tough time making out the upper left area, and am not familiar with many modules.

PowSkiff, Ornament and Crime, Plaits, Zlob Dual VCO, Triple Cap Chaos (Chaotic Noise), Chopping Kinky (Wavefolder), Zlob SVF, Rampage, Rampage, Lich

Muxlicer, Burst, Klasmata, KickAll, KickAll, [Empty Spot for Befaco Noise Plethora], Percall, Diode Chaos, Dual Attenuverter, AxB+C, Hexmix VCA

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Just on that retro FM thing, I'm probably looking at something simpler like a Reface or a retro vst to do older FM synth noises because my MODX kind of cheats me on trying those things, its FM side and AWE64 side seem to be really the same thing on the hardware level. The FM algorithms are simply not geared for the same ideas, it's intended that you use a couple of them in tandem with the AWE64 engine if you want simple sounds, and the bulk of the algorithms are for much more complex layered ideas involving Yamahas arpeggios, The AWE64 engine is really a collection of filters on waveforms plus many goodies on top to make them do fun things. This is all great for flexibility in one sense but it is the Yamaha Way or the Highway in all others! Quite ironic then that so many patches refer to past equipment and of course I have DX7 and CS80 patches in there too. But I'm underselling the complexity of it, there's so many interconnections that I'm still lost a bit with it. I haven't got to grips with the arpeggio engine yet because I keep doodling with the patches :v:

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

This XP-10 really rocks. Been goofing around with it all day, having a great time. Going to try using an external keyboard now.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

If the modx is compatible with old dx sysex data then it must have all the original algorithms, with 2 extra operators

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Was really lost all through that post until it clicked that AWE64 actually referred to AWM2, probably.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i’ve been looking at used alpha junos…………………

help

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Aw this Roland has a switch on the back that selects the input/output functions, I think, and it's broken. Need to look at the manual. So it won't take this M-Audio's MIDI input. Ah well, it still sounds absolutely awesome.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I'm trying to remember the name of a piece of gear and I'm wondering if this thread can help. I actually owned one about ten years ago. It was a sort of hybrid acoustic/electronic hand percussion deal that had a head more or less like a tabla and an internal pickup, and then (IIRC) applied a whole bunch of processing to turn that signal into a whole bunch of weird noises. Any idea what I'm talking about?

e: And ten seconds later, I find it. It's the wavedrum.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man you know, all the money I spent buying and then selling synths in the past ten years adds up to way way way more, but somehow I still have massive sticker shock when I idly go looking at a virus ti2 :(

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Laserjet 4P posted:

Reverse engineering starts with knowing what everything does in the first place.

For subtractive synthesis, the waves go through a filter. Get yourself Vital. Vital has a great UI and is very graphical about what it does. It even does a bit of FM, too.

Check https://www.reddit.com/r/synthrecipes/comments/k4n1jj/dx7_in_vital_sure_why_not_plus_a_crash_course_in/

Plogue Chipsynth MD, an audio interface, and a controller.

FM on hardware synths tends to be painful on low budgets.

I appreciate the tip, but I've been tinkering with Vital a bit and I somehow set the keyboard at the bottom to the lowest possible octave and there's no indication of the default octave anywhere and there's also no user manual so now I'm kind of annoyed that I have to keep remaking this setting over and over again. EDIT: Got it. Z and X change your octave. This isn't noted anywhere.

Everyone else, I read your posts! I'll start with subtractive synthesis for now, and worry about FM later once I know how synth itself works.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 4, 2021

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m the kind of person who learns best visually and through structured lessons so I grabbed Syntorial when it was on 50% discount a year or so ago. Haven’t regretted it. Really helped me understand subtractive to the point where I’m not just randomly twisting knobs to see what happens. Well, not all the time, anyway.

Though it’s pretty spendy and honestly probably everything there I could have learned via youtube for free if I took the time to research options.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

That's been my biggest concern as I'm learning some subtractive synth basics. You have infinite freedom, which also means infinite confusion and analysis paralysis. Yeah, I can connect a sawtooth LFO to the pitch and pan of a 25% square wave and add a funky lookin envelope, but...what am I even looking for? I'm kinda aimless. I suppose that's where I have to learn music production and instrumentation, and that's a topic for an entirely different thread (I think).

I got something that sounds like Zelda II, at least. :v:

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Start by trying to synthesize real instruments. Try to make an oboe patch and a harp patch. Stuff like that. With the filter open, pick out an amp envelope that mimics the instrument. A harp has a fast attack that rings out, a woodwind has a fast attack with a little decay and as much sustain as you have breath. From there choose a waveform. String instruments tend to be more sawtoothy and wind instruments and brass are more square.

After that you can develop your sound further. Can you add transients to mimic a finger pluck or initial breath? What about a delayed vibrato? And from there I would start looking at filter key tracking for brightness/darkness, adding more oscillators for noise or disharmony or droning, and lastly the effects chain

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

B33rChiller posted:

Not to discount any of the excellent replies above, but because I don't know any better, I've been having a blast with a volca FM I picked up used. https://youtu.be/lFfdOq9rvLc
It simplifies the controls to an AD control for the carrier and one for the modulator. It still has 6 operators, and a pile of algorithms, but a single knob can change multiple envelope parameters at once. There's a single lfo as well.
3or4 note polyphony. Can't remember ATM. And you can reportedly load dx7 sysex files right into the thing, and use dexed as a librarian for any patches you find/create. A midi keyboard is a near must though.

And if you're more like me, and not at all a musician, but someone more curious about making sounds and experimenting, check out vcv rack. Lots of free modules, and the ever present question of "what happens if I modulate this at audio rates?"

Ooh, that's kinda neat, actually! Too early for me to pick up, but I'll stay on the lookout for cool little things like that.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Also if you want to go deep into subtractive synthesis and enjoy reading, try this article series (from 20 years ago): https://www.soundonsound.com/series/synth-secrets

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

quote:

In Part 1 of this (63-part) series exploring the world of subtractive synthesis, Gordon Reid goes right back to basics.

:shittypop:

A MIRACLE posted:

Start by trying to synthesize real instruments. Try to make an oboe patch and a harp patch. Stuff like that. With the filter open, pick out an amp envelope that mimics the instrument. A harp has a fast attack that rings out, a woodwind has a fast attack with a little decay and as much sustain as you have breath. From there choose a waveform. String instruments tend to be more sawtoothy and wind instruments and brass are more square.

After that you can develop your sound further. Can you add transients to mimic a finger pluck or initial breath? What about a delayed vibrato? And from there I would start looking at filter key tracking for brightness/darkness, adding more oscillators for noise or disharmony or droning, and lastly the effects chain

Good advice - I know FM’s pretty oriented towards trying to replicate existing instruments, but I never figured you could do the same with subtractive synth instead. I’ll approach it with replicating particular instruments and sounds I like in mind.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Oct 4, 2021

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I feel like a 63 part anything should be presented in a Ken Burns narrative format.

Dearest Tiesto, my recent engagements with the LFO do not go well.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Oct 4, 2021

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

A MIRACLE posted:

I'm trying to do oboe right now, working off of this clip of an oboe. I'm a little stuck on what waveforms make up this particular sound. I definitely hear a quiet square wave in the background (my poor ears), but neither another square wave nor a saw wave worked well.

I noticed that in Audacity, the oboe clip looks like this if you zoom in:

and I figured, is it not possible to simply work backwards from that target waveform and consider what waveforms would need to be combined to get there? I tried that out, and noticed that the target waveform looked kind of triangular. So I added a triangle wave, and:

https://voca.ro/16qJUGro0Yq6

That's not so far off, now is it? But the waveform isn't quite the same:

and I don't know how to get it closer.

quote:

Delayed vibrato I managed to implement (sine LFO @ 1/16 on the level for both waves), but I'm not sure what key tracking or brightness/darkness is.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

what software are you using?

I think the second waveform is on the right track but I'm hearing a lot more disharmony / offset in the real clip. so I would detune one of the oscillators a bit more. then I would listen to some solo clips of an oboe instead of just a short sample and try to get the legato settings right for keyboard performance.

key tracking is when the filter cutoff is set to be relative to keyboard position. so the more deviation from middle C or whatever the more it's open or closed. I would also consider adding some frequency tracking to the velocity for performance purposes

an open low pass filter with lots of high frequency harmonics can be described as "bright"

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Patch the synths, save the world (or, I guess, the farm):

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1577620/The_Signal_State/

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

A MIRACLE posted:

what software are you using?

Vital.

quote:

I think the second waveform is on the right track but I'm hearing a lot more disharmony / offset in the real clip.

Sorry, what's disharmony/offset? How did you notice its presence?

quote:

key tracking is when the filter cutoff is set to be relative to keyboard position. so the more deviation from middle C or whatever the more it's open or closed.

Interesting, okay. So it changes where the filter starts applying the (for example) low pass depending on how far you are from a base note. And as you go higher, the (e.g.) high frequencies get quieter/more muted. What is this used for?

quote:

an open low pass filter with lots of high frequency harmonics can be described as "bright"

Okay, so if it has a low-pass filter but doesn't cut out a lot of the high frequency harmonics, it's bright. I assume that the opposite makes it dark.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Pollyanna posted:

Sorry, what's disharmony/offset? How did you notice its presence?

In a lot of modern synths, you stack oscillator voices on top of each other, with a tiny (adjustable) amount of pitch offset to create (usually) gentle disharmony between them, so as to thicken up a sound. I believe this is called "unison" in Vital, which lets you control how many oscillators ("voices") you stack. There's a knob underneath which lets you adjust the pitch offset.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Pollyanna posted:

Interesting, okay. So [key tracking] changes where the filter starts applying the (for example) low pass depending on how far you are from a base note. And as you go higher, the (e.g.) high frequencies get quieter/more muted. What is this used for?

Many acoustic instruments have different timbres at different points in their range; pitch shifting a low trumpet note up will not have the same frequency spectrum as a trumpet playing a higher note.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

a lot of that stuff (low pass, tracking, frequency spectra, etc) is covered in this synth secrets.

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/synthesizing-wind-instruments

its really an incredible resource, very few things manage to be 63 parts of all killer no filler but this is one of them.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

dexefiend posted:

I have been busy soldering.

Now to calibrate my Zlob modules... This isn't as easy as tuning the KickAll.

Edit:
Last night, I figured out why reverse power protection is so important. "Hey, why aren't the LEDs on the Triple Cap Chaos working correctly?"

I also have decided that I love soldering.

:nice:

Looks great, but how does it sound? Let's hear some modular jams!

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

McCoy Pauley posted:

Oh gently caress yeah zachtronics, but make it modular

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

McCoy Pauley posted:

Been playing this, and at least initially it's more about logic puzzles than it is about synthesis itself. I'd describe it as more of a logic puzzler inspired by modular synths.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

In a lot of modern synths, you stack oscillator voices on top of each other, with a tiny (adjustable) amount of pitch offset to create (usually) gentle disharmony between them, so as to thicken up a sound. I believe this is called "unison" in Vital, which lets you control how many oscillators ("voices") you stack. There's a knob underneath which lets you adjust the pitch offset.

Ohhh, I see. Okay, so you can play two sine waves at once with one of them at a slightly different pitch than the other. And that "thickens up" a sound? When do you use that?

So Math posted:

Many acoustic instruments have different timbres at different points in their range; pitch shifting a low trumpet note up will not have the same frequency spectrum as a trumpet playing a higher note.

Got it, so it's because that's what happens in the real world. Fair enough!

JamesKPolk posted:

a lot of that stuff (low pass, tracking, frequency spectra, etc) is covered in this synth secrets.

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/synthesizing-wind-instruments

its really an incredible resource, very few things manage to be 63 parts of all killer no filler but this is one of them.

Yeah I think I'm gonna focus on working through this first before I start asking too many questions :v:

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I would say you open the filter at higher frequencies more often than close it wrt key tracking. But that would be cool for an fm voice or something else that gets too wild in upper frequencies. It will have a calming effect basically

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
The biggest downside of Synth Secrets is no audio demos so you have no idea if you did it right or not.

Also, Vital can load and analyze .wav files, but summing basic waveforms is a bit of an uphill battle. For more consistent results, set phase randomization to off.

As for what to synthesize - lots of people start with an existing sound in a song they like. In that sense it’s programming - you clone Tetris because coming up with your own games is hard.

As for Zelda II - those are basic unfiltered waveforms :)

Re: unison: every ensemble (choir, string quartet, brass band) playing the same note applies this. Solo instruments not so much.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Yeah that’s why I mentioned the legato options, you have a monophonic instrument so its not so much about allocating voices into a unison mode as it is just grabbing another oscillator on your main voice. I haven’t used vital so I can’t say one way or another. I learned subtractive synthesis with es2 on logic, it puts a lot of emphasis on flexible patch points

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Boy this XP-10 rocks. This arpeggiator takes poo poo to a new level.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Can I have it

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Should I buy my friends pulsar 23 he’s too stupid to use it and already wants to sell

Orrrr

Should I get the Erica syntrx

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Would your friend give me a good deal on the Pulsar? if not go for that imo

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

A MIRACLE posted:

Can I have it

If you bring over some of your cool toys you can play with it. Aside from the bad keys it's the best keyboard I've had I think. It is a miracle dumpster synth. It is the most intuitive interface I've found on a keyboard. And it's a good thing too, because the display is going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

JamesKPolk posted:

Would your friend give me a good deal on the Pulsar? if not go for that imo

Let me ask

He says he sold it already sorry I shoulda checked before posting

“Tell them to save their money. I think it’s massively overhyped”