Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Just as a heads up, Tokyo Xanadu is currently $12 in the PSN Big In Japan sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Oh don’t you worry, Artix was on that like butter on bread the minute he found out about that. :v:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

:shrug: I'm picking it up, figured a few others might want to at that price.

Though clearly at least one thread regular has already played the game and has Opinions. :cheeky:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Now the real question is how long can I keep my bad Tales of Arise opinions out of the commentary? :v:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 2: Mining Melancholy :siren:

In today's episode of Oath, we tackle the quarry in search of the mayor. Along the way, we even manage to solve our first plot mysteries: It turns out Chester is fine! He's just a giant piece of poo poo.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I said before that I thought Felghana isn't quite the best Ys, but it's absolutely got the best soundtrack :rock:

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
So, Dularn and Ellefale.

Dularn's not too bad once you get the hang of his attacks. He always throws out his sword attacks in the exact same order, but I think the middle one is the hardest to dodge because of the qualities of its homing. I think there's only two magic attacks in part 2, the slow fireball and the fast windblade - if you try to predict jump the wind-blade, you're landing in the fireball, and vice versa.

As someone who ran into Ellefale without the first Ruby, she was suffering. I actually didn't even notice the path up there my first time through. She is exactly as she appears, since you need to dodge on the fly; usually jumping diagonally is a pretty solid counter to most of her attacks.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Artix posted:

Now the real question is how long can I keep my bad Tales of Arise opinions out of the commentary? :v:

If you post them in the thread, then you won’t have to worry about the commentary.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

White Coke posted:

If you post them in the thread, then you won’t have to worry about the commentary.

:hmmyes:

Anyway I'll leave you to ponder what I could hate about Tales of Arise and instead offer up another poll. As it turns out, we're taking a break in-game too before we power on with the rest of the plot. And believe me, once the plot leaves the station, there aren't any brakes on this train so strap the gently caress in.

:siren: Intermission Poll :siren:

You may pick three of the following:

Artix fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 25, 2021

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Poll isn’t working for me, it doesn’t record my results.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Huh, was wondering what was up because I didn't see anything on my side either. Let me see if I can fix it, or just make a new one or something.

E: Well a google form is probably overkill but gently caress it, it gets the job done. Should be working now.

Artix fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Sep 25, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Me, recording the latest episode of Tokyo Xanadu today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_nPp64OrBc

White Coke
May 29, 2015

nine-gear crow posted:

Me, recording the latest episode of Tokyo Xanadu today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_nPp64OrBc

Artix’s Tales of Arise opinions are that bad?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Oath in Felghana, Part 3 - Voices of the Temple :siren:

Tragically, Adol's adventure was cut short when he was killed exploring the Illburns Ruins. Dogi would go on to be the star of the Ys series, bringing the franchise critical acclaim and sales.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Illburns Ruins: so forbidden that even the videos are private

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Well that was silly but it's fixed now.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Chester is indeed voiced by Derek Stephen Prince

Count McGuire is David Lodge, whom you may remember from Persona 5, World of Warcraft, or Care Bears: Welcome to Care-a-Lot

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
That nun was Mitsuru, as well, just jam piggety packed with Persona 3 up in here.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, and the priest who wandered into the ruins is Junpei, as well. I wouldn't have been surprised if Yuri Lowenthal or (E:vvv guess I wasn't paying enough attention to Adol's combat shouts) Laura Bailey had shown up too.

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Sep 30, 2021

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Adol shares the same voice with Minato and almost every minor NPC

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 46: Eclipse and Chill :siren:

In our return to Tokyo Xanadu, we join Shio and Mitsuki as they spend a little time together doing the most romantic thing possible: Cleaning out an eclipse in some dude's closet. Look, dating is hard in the far-flung future of 2015.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

That's a weird euphemism for 7 minutes in heaven :v:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/815377494206054432/894720218591526952/dr_p---er.mp3

The shape of things to come...

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
The Soul Device names actually come up during the dramatic summoning cutscenes, but they're not subtitled so it's easy to miss. Kou's Raging Gear, Sora's Valiant Arm(?), Yuuki's Cavalry Mace, and Shio's Vorpal Weapon. I just assumed that they automatically know the names when they summon them.

oh right that's the next chapter

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I appreciate that the game doesn't go full-on Cold Steel and have almost every single female character in the game fall for the protagonist. Kou still has multiple potential love interests, but that's still an welcome improvement over every woman falls for him.

The Trails series games by Falcom are pretty infamous for the way their introductory game has a very slow, lazy pace to establish a setting, and then cranking the pace up to 11 just before the end. That can be pretty effective at drawing in some people, if they can make it through the slow parts.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Oct 5, 2021

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Artix posted:

:siren: Part 46: Eclipse and Chill :siren:

In our return to Tokyo Xanadu, we join Shio and Mitsuki as they spend a little time together doing the most romantic thing possible: Cleaning out an eclipse in some dude's closet. Look, dating is hard in the far-flung future of 2015.
I really enjoy the implication that Shio has spent the intervening years watching Mitsuki for the slightest show of weakness that he might strike her down, like that guy in Rurouni Kenshin

White Coke
May 29, 2015

AmiYumi posted:

I really enjoy the implication that Shio has spent the intervening years watching Mitsuki for the slightest show of weakness that he might strike her down, like that guy in Rurouni Kenshin

More like Sitho.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

This is the pettiest complaint, but I swear the buttons on Shio's casual shirt were on the wrong side. The side with the buttons seemed to also be the side that's on top, rather than the side with holes.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 47: The Fanservice Episode :siren:

So, we need to talk about the intermission. Pretty much every Falcom game has one of these at roughly the 60-70% mark (although there are a few outliers, like Cold Steel 4's being right before the endgame) and they generally serve to give both you the player and all the characters involved in the plot a quick break before the game slams the accelerator to the floor and The Plot™ takes over for the remainder of the game. They are also, for better or worse, the place where the game slams the worst of its fanservicey moments. Azure is still the worst in that regard, but the hot springs are a close second in terms of Maximum Anime™, although to the game's credit it does not plow headfirst into the worst of the tropes that it could be invoking so... I guess we'll take what we can get here?

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I'm so glad they managed to keep themselves restrained for this. It could have been so much worse.

Still would've been nice for Ryouta to get the poo poo kicked out of him, though.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I'm amazed it took them almost 29 minutes before the obligatory hot springs bust comparison comment/joke showed up. :v:

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

One day there will be a hot springs moment where the entirety of it will be the characters playing go or checkers on a floating board. Today isn't that day.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Giving the same exposition multiple times at the beginning worked for Suicide Squad.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Shei-kun posted:

Still would've been nice for Ryouta to get the poo poo kicked out of him, though.
No matter what else happens in this game, we can take solace in the fact that he’s one of the two male friends the protagonist has before the anime started: if he doesn’t cease to exist entirely by episode 8 or so, the unspoken epilogue will be “Ryouta failed his entrance exams, and moved to a farm in the country where he gets to run around and chase sheep and have all the cookies he can eat” :unsmith:

White Coke posted:

Giving the same exposition multiple times at the beginning worked for Suicide Squad.
“That’s Ryouta, the man who can climb anything!”

AmiYumi fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Oct 10, 2021

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Okay, I was not expecting that to end with Towa rushing up, excited to learn which of her students has banged her cousin. :banjo:

Real top-notch chaperoning on the part of the teachers, here.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

AmiYumi posted:

Okay, I was not expecting that to end with Towa rushing up, excited to learn which of her students has banged her cousin. :banjo:

Real top-notch chaperoning on the part of the teachers, here.

They’re both in their 20s too, which just makes it all worse.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 48: Second Dinner :siren:

The game is going to try and get us to lower our guard by letting us "play the game" or some poo poo but don't be fooled, it's just waiting for us to go upstairs so it can hit us with another big plot dump. Don't by fooled by its lies!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Ah yes, the fan service clip show/summary episode of all animes.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Cooked Auto posted:

Ah yes, the fan service clip show/summary episode of all animes.

What is there to say other than:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Not gonna lie, I started to yawn pretty decently midway through the video.