Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

X-O posted:

I don't think any of the MCU Spider-Man movies have really had very large stakes and I don't think the next one really looks like it does either. Homecoming obviously was just Vulture and that's not much of anything. And Mysterio wasn't any kind of major threat on his own either. The biggest damage he ended up doing was to Peter personally. And it looks like the new Spider-Man, even dealing with the multiverse, is not that high stakes either. It seems to all be directed at Peter and not some global threat.

Well, yes, that's what I'm saying, and why I think that kind of storytelling is more engaging than Captain America/Avengers type fare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

socialsecurity posted:

Mysterio was trying to control an army of robots strong enough to basically rule the planet.

Well that was his end goal, but he didn't get it. He was just a guy and that's low stakes enough for Spider-Man.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Obviously, yeah I agree, catching literal robbers is probably too small stakes for a movie. But there's plenty of excitement and drama that you can get out of a city-level threat. I don't think any of the Batman movies have had villains that threaten much more than Gotham and they can be plenty exciting.

I do think Spiderman is doing a decent enough job, and I agree that Mysterio wasn't some cosmic level threat. It's also the one example that has an arms length relationship with the MCU though, and the mainline series threats are increasingly having global or even universe-level impacts. At some point, something has to give, you can't escalate forever.

enki42 fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 4, 2021

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Black Widow could have been a really great personal movie. Natasha going back to her origins with her "family" and exploring her role in the red room and her part in the Taskmaster story.

Instead Flying Fortress!

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

kazil posted:

Black Widow could have been a really great personal movie. Natasha going back to her origins with her "family" and exploring her role in the red room and her part in the Taskmaster story.

Instead Flying Fortress!

I can't believe they did a Deadpool all over again with Taskmaster like do these people not learn?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Thundercracker posted:

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if western superheroes movies are done being shown in China for the foreseeable future. Xi is really cleaning house of any "objectionable" content that threaten his cult if personality and has Marvel dead to rights.

Maybe he found out that Winnie the Pooh is a Disney property.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

socialsecurity posted:

I can't believe they did a Deadpool all over again with Taskmaster like do these people not learn?

I actually liked it much better than Deadpool because at least they tied Taskmaster thematically into the story, Deadpool was just a weird choice in an already weird and awkward movie.

Also the relative viewer-knowledge of the two characters matters, most people have heard somewhat of Deadpool as the talkative loon (even if not the full extent of his deal) whereas the people who know Taskmaster are smaller, and the only thing I personally knew going in was the perfect mimicry stuff not the personality stuff anyway.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

socialsecurity posted:

Taskmaster would have been way, way better if he wasn't just a bit character in the movie. The differences from the comics wouldn't have matter if he wasn't written like poo poo. Like, if it was Natasha having to fight off Taskmaster while coming to terms with her role in his origin for the entire movie, that would have been cool. Instead, Taskmaster has no real agency and is a glorified goon for a boring "real" badguy.

So far phase 4 TV has been way, way better than phase 4 movies. I don't have high hopes for Eternals.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
He’s nothing without little Alex Horne.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The Grumbles posted:

I mean I think that's kind of the point of the what if anthology

I guess for me even though it was more lighthearted, it was also just a more interesting character study, and those are the things that grab my attention over yet another epic showdown for the fate of all creation. Like, it just had more meat on its bones and was way more relateable than Dr. Stranges''s fairly generic 'good person becomes evil due to cosmic whatevers'. This one felt like it was written by people who know a thing or two about what it's like to have siblings and/or be an only child and how those things shape your sense of self and identity. Which also meant that it talked back to the source material in kind of an interesting way. I mean look, it's still Marvel, Party Thor isn't some profound work of literature, but it was a nice treat to watch a marvel episode that was more interested in exploring something human and relateable than just being a string of manufactured high-stakes plot points. So for me it was What If at its best - using the source material to explore an interesting topic or idea, while having fun along the way. I can't say I found much self-reflection in the Dr. Strange episode beyond maybe the whole 'you cant change the past' aspect, except in Marvel where you can, reliably and consistently, so it all felt a bit arbitrary.

The Fate Of The Universe Is At Stake so much in Marvel I find it hard for that to feel like any real kind of stakes or drama at this point. It's just the blandest thing imaginable, for me, to watch another Marvel thing about heroes finding their courage to make the ultimate sacrifice to save the universe and oh god it's tedious even typing this out. But it's why I really liked Spider-Man Homecoming. It's just about a dude trying to keep his local community safe while also navigating the fact that his job and personal life are conflicted and tricky to navigate for spoilery reasons.

Let's get into it. The primary stakes of the Party Thor episode was Thor being afraid of being caught by his mom partying. Literally that was all that episode was about.

Where is self, identity, or sibling relationships in all that? They actually actively defused the only thing approaching any sort of suspense by mentioning that Thor had nothing to do with blowing up the previous planet. And so the whole fight with Ms Marvel....was for nothing?

Then Loki shows up and is his best friend. In fact, everyone is his friend? Of this guy whose idea of partying is dancing in national monuments and throwing around boxers with heart shapes on them around lol.

It's like faint copy of a faint copy of a 80s movie about a teenager, but at least that had sex and getting hosed up. And Disney is way too sex phobic for that to happen.

Anyways tdlr whatever, there was nothing there for me.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Homecoming was perfect stakes he just tried to bust up an arms smuggling ring got in way over his head got beat then redeemed himself when the stakes were highest.

That movie was so much fun. Just a dude looking to fade into the background and steal a bunch of weapons and Spider-Man had to stop him. It also made sense why other people weren’t helping him because he got cut off after Tony told him not to go in and he did and almost got tons of people killed answering the “why not call the avengers” like he tried to

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
After the second Spider-Man 3, I hope we get a Spider-Man MCU movie where Spidey is the only hero in the film. (and he doesn't get help from SHIELD/SWORD/etc)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Spacebump posted:

After the second Spider-Man 3, I hope we get a Spider-Man MCU movie where Spidey is the only hero in the film. (and he doesn't get help from SHIELD/SWORD/etc)

Lol this will never happen.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Spacebump posted:

The final finger shrivels on the monkey's paw as Disney begins work on the Clone Saga.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Shageletic posted:

Let's get into it. The primary stakes of the Party Thor episode was Thor being afraid of being caught by his mom partying. Literally that was all that episode was about.

Where is self, identity, or sibling relationships in all that? They actually actively defused the only thing approaching any sort of suspense by mentioning that Thor had nothing to do with blowing up the previous planet. And so the whole fight with Ms Marvel....was for nothing?

Having grown up an only child completely changes Thor's sense of self and sense of identity (the main joke of the episode is that Thor has only child syndrome), and so the way it's responding to regular a major theme of the Thor films acts as light commentary about how you're shaped by sibling dynamics in ways I found fun. I mean, that's not even subtext. The watcher pretty directly says ''this is an episode about how things might be different if this character defined by his sibling relationship was an only child". The 80's teen movie narrative is a fun homage but the episode isn't really about the plot.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

socialsecurity posted:

I keep hoping Black Widow was a low key Taskmaster origin story--there'll be in-canon yeeeaaars between then and her next potential appearance where she could have a bit more 'tude

I don't genuinely believe they're playing the long game but I want to believe, because they didn't decide to just kill the character outright

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The Grumbles posted:

Having grown up an only child completely changes Thor's sense of self and sense of identity (the main joke of the episode is that Thor has only child syndrome), and so the way it's responding to regular a major theme of the Thor films acts as light commentary about how you're shaped by sibling dynamics in ways I found fun. I mean, that's not even subtext. The watcher pretty directly says ''this is an episode about how things might be different if this character defined by his sibling relationship was an only child". The 80's teen movie narrative is a fun homage but the episode isn't really about the plot.

It seems like it made Thor...nicer to be an only child. Like he's miles better morally than he is at the beginning of Thor 1.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Shageletic posted:

It seems like it made Thor...nicer to be an only child. Like he's miles better morally than he is at the beginning of Thor 1.

The main difference is that Thor spent a thousand years partying with the frost Giants instead of fighting them.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I keep hoping Black Widow was a low key Taskmaster origin story--there'll be in-canon yeeeaaars between then and her next potential appearance where she could have a bit more 'tude

I don't genuinely believe they're playing the long game but I want to believe, because they didn't decide to just kill the character outright

She seems like a slam dunk for any future Thunderbolts movie/show.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Shageletic posted:

So was everyone else. Loki wasn't a murderous psycho. Neither was Surtur. Really 80s sexless teen sex comedy Thor world was probably the best world we've seen so far.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Shageletic posted:

Thor getting spoiled as an only child made everyone's lives way nicer!

Loki didn't spend his childhood and (young?) adult life with a quite a toxic parent, so there's also that. And by the look of it Laufey seemed to be a better father figure.

Fake edit:

Everyone posted:

So was everyone else. Loki wasn't a murderous psycho. Neither was Surtur. Really 80s sexless teen sex comedy Thor world was probably the best world we've seen so far.

I'm too slow for this thread! lmao, but yes!

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

He’s nothing without little Alex Horne.

The infuriating thing is that Greg Davies has already played a supervillain in a DC movie.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Spacebump posted:

They seem to be burning their remaining iconic villians by bringing them over from other universes, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Spidey only appear in team-ups from now on, rather than having any more movies of his own.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
They won't do it, but I'd like to see them retire Peter Parker after Far From Home and go forward with Miles. It's been 20 years and FFH looks like it is going to be the perfect send-off for all the theatrical PPs. At least retire him from the suit.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Wtf taskmaster the show jokes in this nonsense thread let’s get a separate thread going to debate best seasons

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Everyone posted:

The vibe I got was the out of control party in Weird Science briefly interrupted by a Roadrunner cartoon (Cpt Marvel v Thor).

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Firebert posted:

They won't do it, but I'd like to see them retire Peter Parker after Far From Home and go forward with Miles. It's been 20 years and FFH looks like it is going to be the perfect send-off for all the theatrical PPs. At least retire him from the suit.

I wouldn't be surprised if they would do it, especially if rights on Miles Morales Spiderman are separate from those on Peter Parker Spiderman, though I have no idea if that is the case. If they did, then Sony and Marvel could both have their own Spiderman films that don't intrude on each other beyond some cameos or something for audience appreciation.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Re: Stakes
This was something I liked about the Netflix shows was that they were basically fighting for neighborhoods and really nothing would have changed if they failed.

Except Iron Fist, that white boy hosed everything up so bad he took all four shows down with him.
And punisher had to gently caress off to his own show (which I never finished because I felt it was pretty played out after the first season)

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

tsob posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they would do it, especially if rights on Miles Morales Spiderman are separate from those on Peter Parker Spiderman, though I have no idea if that is the case. If they did, then Sony and Marvel could both have their own Spiderman films that don't intrude on each other beyond some cameos or something for audience appreciation.

Sony already made a Miles Morales movie so I'm pretty sure they have the rights.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
My assumption was that making Taskmaster more like the comic versions would have hewed too close to movie Deadpool levels of quippy-ness and would have been seen as a pale imitation? Or maybe been a distraction from introducing a new funnier Black Widow?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So has Marvel done anything specific recently to piss off chuds or is it just the same old garbage of including women and gay and black people in comics?

A game I love - Dice Throne - somehow landed a Marvel collaboration and there seem to be a lot of right-wing people getting pissy about it.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

dwarf74 posted:

So has Marvel done anything specific recently to piss off chuds or is it just the same old garbage of including women and gay and black people in comics?

A game I love - Dice Throne - somehow landed a Marvel collaboration and there seem to be a lot of right-wing people getting pissy about it.

Shang Chi had a lot of the same "complaints and griping" Black Panther had.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I saw a couple headlines that Google served to me in incognito mode about how, I guess, Brie Larsen has fallen out of favor with Marvel and Disney execs and that's why they brought in 2 costars to co-headline Captain Marvel 2 or some poo poo.

Why chuds still give a gently caress about the MCU when they are so obviously not being catered to is beyond me, lol. Well, no, I get that it's all in favor of the grift chain, but still.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

mutata posted:

Why chuds still give a gently caress about the MCU when they are so obviously not being catered to is beyond me, lol. Well, no, I get that it's all in favor of the grift chain, but still.
I think a big part of the problem is how stuff like the Youtube algorithm works. An outrage video gives more clicks than a video titled "Captain Marvel was decent for an origin story movie". Chuds watched something once months/years ago relating to the MCU so then Youtube constantly shoves it in their face, causing more clicks and more outrage.

We can see an example with how hard Youtube tries to get me to watch Ben Shapiro even though I've never watched one of his videos. I'm sure other people in this thread have other things that Twitter/Youtube/social media tries to get them to engage with.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I hate the YouTube algorithm so much. I avoid things specifically because I don't want it recommending more of the same.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Floppychop posted:

I think a big part of the problem is how stuff like the Youtube algorithm works. An outrage video gives more clicks than a video titled "Captain Marvel was decent for an origin story movie". Chuds watched something once months/years ago relating to the MCU so then Youtube constantly shoves it in their face, causing more clicks and more outrage.

We can see an example with how hard Youtube tries to get me to watch Ben Shapiro even though I've never watched one of his videos. I'm sure other people in this thread have other things that Twitter/Youtube/social media tries to get them to engage with.

Yeah. I went to watch Placebo music videos out of nostalgia the other day, and at the third video I started to get bombarded with right wing/chud propaganda. Which is weird cuz placebo's singer is queer as gently caress. So my conclusion is that the algorithm works in lovely ways.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I feel like this is going to be next season’s finale too.

https://twitter.com/marvelstudios/status/1445433601982664708

Veotax
May 16, 2006

mutata posted:

I saw a couple headlines that Google served to me in incognito mode about how, I guess, Brie Larsen has fallen out of favor with Marvel and Disney execs and that's why they brought in 2 costars to co-headline Captain Marvel 2 or some poo poo.

I've been served up a few google headlines on my phone that are something along the line of "Marvel FINALLY replaces Bree Larson!". The story was just that she had a different voice actor in What If.

Hell, there was a similar one for Spider-Man, "Marvel announces Tom Holland's replacement". Again, just saying he had a different actor in What If.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Clickbait gonna clickbait

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
In other news, there's a preview of tomorrow's episode available.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU-FcHQL9uY