Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
That's interesting. I've been wondering for a while if there was some right-wing chud network funding the entire project, but when that much of a given crowd-fund is suspicious, it seems to give away the game.

I wonder how you'd start to dig into something like this. It's not my field, but given how good the CG crowd is at making comics, I doubt their real gifts lie in information security.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Wanderer posted:

That's interesting. I've been wondering for a while if there was some right-wing chud network funding the entire project, but when that much of a given crowd-fund is suspicious, it seems to give away the game.

I wonder how you'd start to dig into something like this. It's not my field, but given how good the CG crowd is at making comics, I doubt their real gifts lie in information security.

Van Sciver selling actually cardboard boxes for over $100K was pretty much proof that it was all a scam, but this pretty much solidifies it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

E the Shaggy posted:

Van Sciver selling actually cardboard boxes for over $100K was pretty much proof that it was all a scam, but this pretty much solidifies it.

How much were the coins with a sticker on them?

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Comicsgate about to get a new member:

https://www.gamesradar.com/marvel-breaks-ties-with-joe-bennett-removes-immortal-hulk-artist-from-upcoming-projects/

Bennett ran afoul of Glenn Greenwald though, so I'd love to get a "let them fight" moment out of this.

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

"Education Professional" model Doombot
Ike Perlmutter being a POS again: https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-associates-wanted-sell-veterans-medical-records-profit-report-2021-9

quote:

The team, which was based at Trump's Mar-a-Lago resort, included Ike Perlmutter, a major Trump donor, Mar-a-Lago member, and a Marvel executive; Marc Sherman, a Washington, DC, lawyer; and Dr. Bruce Moskowitz, a West Palm Beach, Florida, physician, according to ProPublica.

The trio started advising the VA on budgeting and contracting issues, ProPublica reported, but they soon began to advance the idea of selling veterans' medical data.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Hoopla added the Avengers Standoff: Welcome to Pleasant Hill collection and the first two Thunderbolts volumes that spun out of it. I always like Thunderbolts, so I'm reading those collected editions now, and the artist is Jon Malin, a name I vaguely recognized from this thread even though I had never seen his work before. Yikes, his style is awful (kind of like Liefeld, only everyone is very elongated instead of bulky and wide), and he seems like a right-wing Comicsgate jerk.

Is he still working at Marvel, or has he burned all his mainstream bridges?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Is he still working at Marvel, or has he burned all his mainstream bridges?

Malin went full CG some time ago, yeah. He was the one who drew the comic with Dickie Meyers that got the lawsuit against Waid started. I don't think he's one of the ones EVS has run off but I don't look that close.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Malin went mask off after pencilling a few issues of Cable and I think he has been exclusively hawking his indie comics to CGers ever since.

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Sep 29, 2021

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/jrome58/status/1443726792104235017?s=20

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
So what's the play here? They didn't want the book, the company sends it, the company then comes after them for money for goods received?

(I'm a little in the dark about who this person is, I just remember Action Lab from earlier in this thread.)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/rodimusprime/status/1443760446612332547?s=19

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Good for her

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Uthor posted:

So what's the play here? They didn't want the book, the company sends it, the company then comes after them for money for goods received?

If that's their scheme they biffed it. It's a common scam hoping someone will just sign the bill without asking any questions, but unsolicited goods have no obligation and can be dealt with in any way the recipient wishes. By law, at least in the US and UK. It can carry additional charges as well, I think US law files it under "unfair trade practices" or something like that.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Happy Hippo posted:

Good for her

In this case, even though I may not like Johansson, I am glad to see Disney reduced.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

Malin went full CG some time ago, yeah. He was the one who drew the comic with Dickie Meyers that got the lawsuit against Waid started. I don't think he's one of the ones EVS has run off but I don't look that close.

Whatever happened with that?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Bruceski posted:

If that's their scheme they biffed it. It's a common scam hoping someone will just sign the bill without asking any questions, but unsolicited goods have no obligation and can be dealt with in any way the recipient wishes. By law, at least in the US and UK. It can carry additional charges as well, I think US law files it under "unfair trade practices" or something like that.

That Cowboys Versus Aliens movie is based on a comic that did the same thing. Maybe it's a ploy for a movie deal by having receipts to show you shipped X number of issues.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

bessantj posted:

Whatever happened with that?

Waid and Meyers made a join statement to voluntarily dismiss the suit and it's worth noting that it was also dismissed with prejudice.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Skwirl posted:

That Cowboys Versus Aliens movie is based on a comic that did the same thing. Maybe it's a ploy for a movie deal by having receipts to show you shipped X number of issues.

Cowboys & Aliens was a different kind of scam, and a much more elaborate one. Basically, in the late 90s, the president of Malibu Comics, Scott Mitchell Rosenberg, pitched an idea to Universal about a sci fi western with a claim that there was a graphic novel in development. The idea got put on ice and shuffled between studios with no progress on it for years. So Rosenberg cooked up the idea to actually create the graphic novel for it and send a massive number of free copies to anyone he could. This way, he could turn around to the studio, show them the printing numbers, and say "The graphic novel is out, and look how hot it is!" then leave out that very few copies actually sold. I'm guessing he personally lost a lot of money on it, but the studio fell for the scam and tried to get the film made while it was "hot," which in turn tricked a number of high profile celebrities (Daniel Craig! Harrison Ford!) to attach themselves to the picture, making it seem like an even bigger deal. There was a self-compounding issue of industry-side hype for a film most of America did not know or understand, and so it then flopped hard.

Action Lab seems to be doing a much smaller scale scam where they're reacting to bad press for not printing the books they were under contract to print by pretending it was all a miscommunication and if the creator had been patient, he would have gotten his books without any fuss. And maybe they're hoping they can bully him into paying for it, but I think it's more about trying to muddy the PR waters.

e. Looking into it further, Cowboys and Aliens is like a perfect time capsule of the comic book movie evolving. It comes out of 1997, where the industry is struggling, comic book movies mean Schumacher Batman, and revamps itself with the scam in 2006, taking advantage of Spider-Man, Batman Begins, and X-Men making comic book movies interesting, but not so huge that a studio would know how to look into comic book distribution. By 2011, Iron Man's made comic books insanely hot, every studio's looking to snap up their own cinematic universe, and Mark Millar is making comics just to sell the film rights. It just slipped into the perfect time to pull off what it did.

e2. And poo poo, I misread your post and explained your explanation back to you. Sorry Skwirl!

Precambrian fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Oct 2, 2021

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wasn’t there also something shady with Malibu and the Men in Black film?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

Waid and Meyers made a join statement to voluntarily dismiss the suit and it's worth noting that it was also dismissed with prejudice.

Did Meyers claim it as a win?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

bessantj posted:

Did Meyers claim it as a win?

I think he tried to thread the needle between claiming it as a victory and acting like the victim of a conspiracy on the part of Big Comics.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

JordanKai posted:

I think he tried to thread the needle between claiming it as a victory and acting like the victim of a conspiracy on the part of Big Comics.

Hell of a yoga pose.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Dawgstar posted:

Wasn’t there also something shady with Malibu and the Men in Black film?

Nothing unusually shady, for comics. The original creator gets paid a relatively small amount, and Marvel get to pretend they published the comic on the film.

Aircel published it originally, Malibu bought them, and then Marvel bought Malibu for their colouring process, and got a nice bonus movie franchise.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Not to take away from general creators' rights/compensation shadiness, but tied into Scott Rosenberg, he's spent the past 20+ years dining out as "The People Who Brought You Men In Black" when the actual timeline was

Early 1980s: Scott runs a regional comics distribution company Sunrise. that focused on independent publishers during the "Black & White Boom"
1986: Scott uses the money from Sunrise to co-found Malibu Comics
1987: The bubble bursts on indie comics, Sunrise declares bankruptcy and closes up shop leaving lots of publishers in the lurch
Also 1987: Rosenberg lends money to several publishers to keep them afloat with terms that would leave him owning said companies if they can't pay it all back
1990: Aircel Comics publishes a comic The Men in Black to not much acclaim or attention
1991: Aircel is absorbed into Malibu Comics
1992: Film rights for the Men in Black movie are sold. Was Scott Rosenberg involved? Possibly?
1994: Rosenberg sells Malibu to Marvel
1997: Men In Black the movie, which was made without the input or involvement of anyone who actually made the comics, is released and is a hit.

Scott Rosenberg: THAT'S ME, I DID THAT. He immediately founded Platinum Studios and started trying to make Cowboys & Aliens into a thing based on a hit graphic novel, which somehow eventually worked?

I feel like this rises above standard industry shadiness, and there's a lot more that I'm not even sure how to detangle.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Edge & Christian posted:

Not to take away from general creators' rights/compensation shadiness, but tied into Scott Rosenberg, he's spent the past 20+ years dining out as "The People Who Brought You Men In Black" when the actual timeline was

Early 1980s: Scott runs a regional comics distribution company Sunrise. that focused on independent publishers during the "Black & White Boom"
1986: Scott uses the money from Sunrise to co-found Malibu Comics
1987: The bubble bursts on indie comics, Sunrise declares bankruptcy and closes up shop leaving lots of publishers in the lurch
Also 1987: Rosenberg lends money to several publishers to keep them afloat with terms that would leave him owning said companies if they can't pay it all back
1990: Aircel Comics publishes a comic The Men in Black to not much acclaim or attention
1991: Aircel is absorbed into Malibu Comics
1992: Film rights for the Men in Black movie are sold. Was Scott Rosenberg involved? Possibly?
1994: Rosenberg sells Malibu to Marvel
1997: Men In Black the movie, which was made without the input or involvement of anyone who actually made the comics, is released and is a hit.

Scott Rosenberg: THAT'S ME, I DID THAT. He immediately founded Platinum Studios and started trying to make Cowboys & Aliens into a thing based on a hit graphic novel, which somehow eventually worked?

I feel like this rises above standard industry shadiness, and there's a lot more that I'm not even sure how to detangle.

this is so bizarre but thank you for writing this. i had no idea what went down with this whole thing until now.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Someone here (maybe Edge) previously speculated that Rosenberg’s ties to the Ultraverse are why Marvel has disavowed ever reviving those characters. Dunno but wouldn’t surprise me

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Barry Convex posted:

Someone here (maybe Edge) previously speculated that Rosenberg’s ties to the Ultraverse are why Marvel has disavowed ever reviving those characters. Dunno but wouldn’t surprise me
I brought it up, but it's not just me speculating, other Ultraverse creators are reasonably sure that's the case.

Tom Mason (founding editor of Malibu Comics, Ultraverse founder):

quote:

As far as I know, there are no creator contract issues with the Founders that would prevent the revival of the Ultraverse. I know that phantom issue gets tossed out there a lot, but both Tom Brevoort and Joe Quesada have stated that it’s not a creator contract issue that prevents Marvel from reviving it. And since I’m one of the people who has an Ultraverse contract and an interest in multiple characters, I would know. Also, Marvel owns the Ultraverse outright, so they don’t need anyone’s permission. (The Founders still keep in touch and we’ve all talked about it over the years – there’s nothing legal going on between the Founders and Marvel.)

Johanna is correct that the Ultraverse contracts for the Founders do have participation %. However, the Founders do not have an ownership stake, do not share in any “profits” (however that may be defined), and have no control over the properties. (Just as if they had created a character for the DCU.) Character Interest Agreements for the Ultraverse simply state that writers and artists who created specific characters will receive a very small percentage of the money that comes in based on their media exploitation. The agreements were based on standard terms at DC at the time for creators who created a character for the DCU. And those terms are in perpetuity, so if for some reason there’s a Sludge movie, Steve Gerber’s estate receives a check. But, those percentages are not onerous and not out of line with what DC was offering at the time.

Brevoort has stated in the past that the reason Marvel can’t discuss the Ultraverse properties is because there’s an NDA in place with certain parties.

If you read the original press release where Scott Rosenberg left Marvel and announced the formation of Platinum Studios back in 1997, you’ll find this nugget: “Rosenberg also has an ongoing producer deal for all Malibu Comics properties.” http://goo.gl/v2WRc2

So that NDA just might relate to that and probably has more to do with the reason why the Ultraverse properties have languished.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Who was the CEO of a comic company who made an employee stand in the corner?

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
Why did CrossGen die?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Who was the CEO of a comic company who made an employee stand in the corner?

Nystral posted:

Why did CrossGen die?

dunno if these two posts being back-to-back are a coincidence, but I believe that Gallinero is thinking of Marc Alessi, CEO of CrossGen. Mark Waid alleged this in a 2009 interview:

quote:

BM: Did Crossgen owner Mark Alessi have much of a role driving the creative aspects of the company? Or did he give the creators free reign with their books?

MW: If you listen closely when you ask that, you can hear the collective howl of laughter of every writer and artist who ever worked at Crossgen. Alessi was a spoiled eight-year-old with a checkbook, and he was the biggest bully I've ever met in my life--and, coming from a lifelong comic book geek, that's one hell of an indictment. I could make a fortune charging his employees for Post-Traumatic Stress Syndrome therapy. He would, and I'm not joking, make (admittedly spineless) grown men stand in the corner when they displeased him. I'm sure some of them still wake up in a cold sweat in the middle of the night hollering "Sir, yes, Sir!" His idea of creative guidance was to; quite literally, scream until he was red in the face that there wasn't enough detail on the page and that he wanted to see every single blade of grass, Goddamnit! He'd punish guys who drew perfectly well without his help by focusing on some detail or another on one of 22 pages--some face that somehow wasn't exactly what he saw in his head, whatever the hell that was--by berating them at the top of his lungs and then sending them home for the day, "and don't come back until you can draw it right!" That, people, is art directing at its finest. Despite his inappropriate behavior, which was deservedly notorious, there were some drat good Crossgen books put out--but I swear to you, none of them were issued by Crossgen so much as escaped FROM Crossgen.

Ask anyone. The guy was a character. He had an eye for talent, and he was an effective salesman. And I think that, at heart, he sincerely believed in the concept of Might For Right at one time. When I first interviewed there, he showed me his prize possession, one he'd obtained at some millionaires' auction or another: the actual bow that Errol Flynn used in The Adventures of Robin Hood. I loved that because even though it was just a movie prop, the bow symbolized a certain commitment to justice that we seemed to share. Later, of course, I had to resist the urge to break it over his thick head.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
drat. I'd heard that Crossgen went down because the owner kept using company funds to buy sports cars or something like that but I'd never heard much more than that. I loved Meridian back in middle school (even if, following the trades, I was never able to finish the series) and I loved the multiversal thing it had going on. Marvel bought the remains of Crossgen, right?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

catlord posted:

drat. I'd heard that Crossgen went down because the owner kept using company funds to buy sports cars or something like that but I'd never heard much more than that. I loved Meridian back in middle school (even if, following the trades, I was never able to finish the series) and I loved the multiversal thing it had going on. Marvel bought the remains of Crossgen, right?

Yeah, even published a new miniseries for Mystic written by G. Willow Wilson that didn't really have anything to do with the original. Maybe some other titles, too.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, even published a new miniseries for Mystic written by G. Willow Wilson that didn't really have anything to do with the original. Maybe some other titles, too.

there were a handful of others, though I think Ruse was the only one that was more than an extremely loose reboot of the original (probably because it was the only one that had the original writer, Waid in that case), on it. they also announced two more, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and Route 666 iirc, that were never published, probably because the original batch sold poorly and possibly because of budget mandates that came down in 2011 from Perlmutter and seemed to have resulted in some other announced books being cancelled before release

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Quoting myself from another thread:

Edge & Christian posted:

Technically Disney bought Crossgen when they went bankrupt in 2004 because they could get the entire company for about a million dollars and they were interested in adapting Abadazad. They commissioned a series of YA novels based on the concept but kind of lost interest at some point.

Checker Books, who I am still confused by (they seemed like a fly by night company that would do lovely reprints of things with possibly flimsy legal claim to do so (Little Nemo/Dick Tracy, Alan Moore's Supreme/Extreme work), started reprinting some CrossGen books a few years later with the license from Disney, unless they didn't have the license, regardless they only did a couple.

Shortly after Disney bought Marvel they announced that they'd be reviving the CrossGen line, and announced half a dozen mini-series, only a couple of which saw print and the whole thing was quickly and quietly abandoned after the orders for the first few issues came in. I'm not sure if royalties are a key factor considering how they gave it a shot ten years ago and killed it because of low interest, it sounds like whatever promises about royalties were made by the original version of CrossGen weren't actually happening given creators grumbling about getting screwed out of royalties, and also it's Disney, who has shown a general willingness to ignore the heck out of previous royalty/contract agreements made by other companies they acquire.
For further context I looked up the pre-orders for all of the Marvel CrossGen books:

Ruse #1/Sigil #1: 28,500/28,000 orders which is pretty respectable.
Ruse #2:/Sigil #2: 11.8k/10.k
Ruse #3/Sigil #3: 10.7k/9.5k
Ruse #4/Sigil #4: 10.5k/8.9k

So not a great start to the new subline. Then a few months later Mystic came out:

Mystic #1: Orders of around 18,000 put it ahead of a bunch of stuff, actually.
Mystic #2: 7100 copies, ahead of Casanova: Avarita #1, a FF Marvel Universe supplement, Anita Blake:Circus of the Damned – The Scoundrel #1, and Ka-Zar #4
Mystic #3: 6400 copies, ahead of Ka-Zar #5 and a Vampires Marvel Universe supplement
Mystic #4: 6000 copies, ahead of John Carter: A Princess of Mars #3 and a book collecting "I Am Captain America" cover variants

And then yes, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and Route 666 mini-series had been announced and taken off the schedule.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

There was also the story about Marc yelling at his employees to get back to work when they were all glued to the TV ... on Sept 11, 2001. Apparently, he didn't see what the big deal was.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Edge & Christian posted:

Quoting myself from another thread:

For further context I looked up the pre-orders for all of the Marvel CrossGen books:

Ruse #1/Sigil #1: 28,500/28,000 orders which is pretty respectable.
Ruse #2:/Sigil #2: 11.8k/10.k
Ruse #3/Sigil #3: 10.7k/9.5k
Ruse #4/Sigil #4: 10.5k/8.9k

So not a great start to the new subline. Then a few months later Mystic came out:

Mystic #1: Orders of around 18,000 put it ahead of a bunch of stuff, actually.
Mystic #2: 7100 copies, ahead of Casanova: Avarita #1, a FF Marvel Universe supplement, Anita Blake:Circus of the Damned – The Scoundrel #1, and Ka-Zar #4
Mystic #3: 6400 copies, ahead of Ka-Zar #5 and a Vampires Marvel Universe supplement
Mystic #4: 6000 copies, ahead of John Carter: A Princess of Mars #3 and a book collecting "I Am Captain America" cover variants

And then yes, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and Route 666 mini-series had been announced and taken off the schedule.

They also did a Sigil reboot at the same time as Ruse.

All three were actually pretty decent iirc.

VVV somehow my eyes absolutely glazed over this.

RevKrule fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Oct 4, 2021

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

RevKrule posted:

They also did a Sigil reboot at the same time as Ruse.

All three were actually pretty decent iirc.
The Sigil mini-series is the second sales figure on the "Ruse/Sigil" line.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

catlord posted:

drat. I'd heard that Crossgen went down because the owner kept using company funds to buy sports cars or something like that but I'd never heard much more than that.
I think you're thinking of Dreamwave?

But hell, maybe it happened to CrossGen, too.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Endless Mike posted:

It's possible, that's a memory at least a decade old and the person who told me could very well have mixed it up too. I forgot it was Disney that bought Crossgen, not Marvel. Shame we'll probably never see it again, either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

I was going to bring up Dreamwave as well, but shady bosses buying cars with company money is a common enough occurrence that I wouldn't be surprised if two different comic book hotshots did it.