Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Feel like I’m bumping into the issue on the CSL’s where you can get different braking forces based on where your foot is on the pedal due to how the load cell is mounted in the pedal. From that standpoint I’d imagine the V3’s are a solid upgrade because they just don’t have that issue.

It’s such a dumb design flaw that almost seems intentional to force you up a price tier.

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Also, are you in the US? If so, what are they quoting you for shipping times? Has the pandemic hosed the V3’s or are they pretty good about shipping yet?

In US, I ordered yesterday they are in stock, a lot of stuff on their site is pre-order now for delivery when back in stock.
Shipping was like 22bux for ground 44bux for 3 day and 46 for 2 day. I picked 2 day kuz what's another 25bux.
I ordered a base and wheel in Feb and it shipped in 1-2 days if I recall, I ordered a wheel in march and it shipped with similar times.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Oct 4, 2021

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Feel like I’m bumping into the issue on the CSL’s where you can get different braking forces based on where your foot is on the pedal due to how the load cell is mounted in the pedal. From that standpoint I’d imagine the V3’s are a solid upgrade because they just don’t have that issue.

Also, are you in the US? If so, what are they quoting you for shipping times? Has the pandemic hosed the V3’s or are they pretty good about shipping yet?

update.. V3's were ordered around 3:30 yesterday.
Claudia from Suddath (I consistently think I'm getting a scam mail from fed-ex any time I order from Fanatec) has printed the label and pedals should be here Wednesday (with 2 day shipping).

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007
I unpacked my ancient g25 last week and joined a local racing league at the behest of an old friend. gently caress I forgot just how much fun this is.

If I had $300 dollars burning a hole in my pocket, would an Oculus Quest 2 used mostly for Asseto Corsa be a terrible idea?

Zosologist fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 4, 2021

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

tater_salad posted:

(I consistently think I'm getting a scam mail from fed-ex any time I order from Fanatec)

:lol:

Same here. I was having some minor identity theft issues at the same time I got my rig from Fanatec and it took me a couple serious minutes to sort out what the hell it was.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Zosologist posted:

I unpacked my ancient g25 last week and joined a local racing league at the behest of an old friend. gently caress I forgot just how much fun this is.

If I had $300 dollars burning a hole in my pocket, would an Oculus Quest 2 used mostly for Asseto Corsa be a terrible idea?

It’s a bad idea only in the sense that once you use a race sim in VR you won’t want to go back

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I have a quest2 and use it for AC. It's nice.
The only disadvantage is drinking while driving isn't as easy.

Also the quest will not charge at the rate it uses battery while connected to a computer. You can use Air link and plug into a fast charger if you have very good WiFi. This isn't an issue unless you're doing multiple hour sessions.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

tater_salad posted:

well there goes that idea. it was sounding so promising too

if I want to be prevented from drinking and driving at ludicrous speeds I'll go out in my real car, tyvm

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Just add this to your cart.

Novelty Place Guzzler Drinking Helmet - Adjustable Can Holder Cap Drinker Favor Hat - Straw for Beer Soda - Party Fun Beverage Gadgets(Blue) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZNN2TH9/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_3JFRT3P5HQ6GM34DXGAM

I mean it can still be done, you just need to stick your beer back in the same general appt each time or add a cup holder to your seat.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Zosologist posted:

HP Reverb G2 should be around the same price right? It's (apparently) the go-to for driving games. I have one and I like it but I have to say if the visual quality was any worse I wouldn't use VR. Be prepared to turn your graphics way down for the VR to have an acceptable framerate.

Are you in our discord?? Join our discord and pick up a $5 iracing 3 month sub and come gently caress around with us.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

suggesting someone drink beer through a straw is a grave insult where i come from. you don't know how close to death you just came, friend

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Someone is touchy about the existence of the foam dome

Also my 1070 had no issues pushing 72 frames for the quest 2 all turned up. I haven't tried iracing with it but my old Lenovo explorer did okay as well except for a handful of tracks.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Oct 5, 2021

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

HP Reverb G2 should be around the same price right? It's (apparently) the go-to for driving games. I have one and I like it but I have to say if the visual quality was any worse I wouldn't use VR. Be prepared to turn your graphics way down for the VR to have an acceptable framerate.

Are you in our discord?? Join our discord and pick up a $5 iracing 3 month sub and come gently caress around with us.

Looks like the reverb g2 is about $500. That puts it out of the impulse buy for myself because it’s my birthday category, and into the gotta have a conversation with my wife about it and we’re trying to build a house so I really shouldn’t category.

Also I plan to jump on iracing as soon as my replacement encoder wheel shows up from Aliexpress for my wheel because apparently mine just broke

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

tater_salad posted:

I have a quest2 and use it for AC. It's nice.

Also the quest will not charge at the rate it uses battery while connected to a computer. You can use Air link and plug into a fast charger if you have very good WiFi. This isn't an issue unless you're doing multiple hour sessions.

It actually will if you use a USB-C to USB-C cable, which would require a USB-C port on your computer. Even on a regular USB cable though you'll get a solid 4 hours out of it connected to a computer. Possibly even 5 so yeah it's not an issue unless you're doing massive enduro stints.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
I got an Oculus Quest 2 a couple weeks ago. Considering returning it and maybe exploring again in like a year or so.

The big downer was thinking my current main jam (F1 2021) supported it before finding out the YT videos doing it with F1 2020 were using some 3rd party thing that doesn't work well and basically doesn't work at all for 2021 due to it being directX 12 only. Add on at least one game I want to get (WRC 9 or 10) doesn't support it, my free (from ISP) router definitely can't handle Air Link without the quality dropping out the floor from shadows + occasional hard stuttering/freezing so I'd need to drop more money for a good USB-C cable to use it, and making me ill despite past VR use (at gaming conferences pre-COVID) being fine--not sure if that's due to racing (prior VR use was not as fast moving) or the performance issues.

Was really neat playing around in PCars 2 though, when working reasonably well. Much less neat playing around in Dirt Rally 2--made me very sick and I think I heard the default VR config for the game sucks and seemed like it, it almost felt like wearing 3D glasses which was giving a super weird popping-into-your-face effect on rocks and other stuff right at the edge of the stage that was super disorienting.

Definitely saw the potential though; seemed awesome as hell when it was working well. Think the only knock I have against the product itself (besides not having an HDMI/DisplayPort cable option) is the criticism about narrow FoV seemed accurate, requiring turning your head to see things that would IRL be visible enough in peripheral vision.

Lastly, worried about this impact while titles I'm interested in playing don't support it:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It’s a bad idea only in the sense that once you use a race sim in VR you won’t want to go back

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The one thing I'd say there is the sickness does fade over time as you get more used to it. Smooth movement (like in a racing game) used to make me horrifically nauseous but it doesn't affect me at all after about a year of using VR.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I had a little nausea when I started using VR for racing games and after a day or two of using VR it completely went away. I can now look to the side on straights to see whether someone is alongside me and look back up and it feels 100% natural and normal.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I've never really had sickness when driving. Games that make me walk with a stick make me feel icky in 5 mins, teleport or die.

Anyway a quest 2 does pretty decent for racing especially iracing. Just beware that drinking is a bit harder and with the quest you have limited time so you can't race for hours and hours.

I also did a test with airlink (Wi-Fi) last night and it seemed fine with my wired desktop and eero mesh with 1 node about 10 ft away, I didn't feel any latency that was impacting my ability to race.

I ended up with a quest because I couldn't bring myself to pay $500+ for VR after my old headset died from 5+ years of use by me and kids. It seems like the quality is better than the Lenovo explorer I had. I looked at the HP set but i like the fact that my kids can use it with no wires to tangle or murder. Also the wmr interface isn't the best (like it locks your keyboard input when headset is on unless you push win-y). I'd say go for it and happy birthday (edit: you can now turn this off than god).

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Oct 5, 2021

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

tater_salad posted:

Also the wmr interface isn't the best (like it locks your keyboard input when headset is on unless you push win-y).

You can click a box in settings to make it not do that. I haven't touched the WMR interface outside of clicking the button to put the headset in standby since initial setup almost a year ago.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Theris posted:

You can click a box in settings to make it not do that. I haven't touched the WMR interface outside of clicking the button to put the headset in standby since initial setup almost a year ago.

It's about GD time when I set it up and for the first several years there was not a setting to turn that loving keyboard lock off, there were countless threads of people asking for it and it never seemed like it was going to happen.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

tater_salad posted:

I've never really had sickness when driving.

Drive your car in reverse and hit the brakes.

It gets everyone :barf:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Okay fine I'll caveat it

I've never gotten motion sick in normal driving conditions in
If I'm in an "iRacing Indy In air barrel Roll(tm)" I pull the headset off my face so I don't toss my cookies.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
just close your eyes

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

tater_salad posted:

Okay fine I'll caveat it

If I'm in an "iRacing Indy In air barrel Roll(tm)" I pull the headset off my face so I don't toss my cookies.

One
Car
Air
Borne

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007

tater_salad posted:

I've never really had sickness when driving. Games that make me walk with a stick make me feel icky in 5 mins, teleport or die.

Anyway a quest 2 does pretty decent for racing especially iracing. Just beware that drinking is a bit harder and with the quest you have limited time so you can't race for hours and hours.

I also did a test with airlink (Wi-Fi) last night and it seemed fine with my wired desktop and eero mesh with 1 node about 10 ft away, I didn't feel any latency that was impacting my ability to race.

I ended up with a quest because I couldn't bring myself to pay $500+ for VR after my old headset died from 5+ years of use by me and kids. It seems like the quality is better than the Lenovo explorer I had. I looked at the HP set but i like the fact that my kids can use it with no wires to tangle or murder. Also the wmr interface isn't the best (like it locks your keyboard input when headset is on unless you push win-y). I'd say go for it and happy birthday (edit: you can now turn this off than god).

You covered all of my concerns, thank you for this excellent post. I guess I’m getting a quest when I get back to town. Hopefully the part to fix my g25 makes it across the pacific in a timely manner.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

tater_salad posted:

Okay fine I'll caveat it

I've played enough Dirt Rally that I'm immune to crashes and rolls. If I ever manage to become an IRL racing driver, I can have comfort in the fact that my charred corpse won't be covered in vomit.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

KillHour posted:

I've played enough Dirt Rally that I'm immune to crashes and rolls. If I ever manage to become an IRL racing driver, I can have comfort in the fact that my charred corpse won't be covered in vomit.

Yeah, wait until you feel the actual g forces. You might still vomit.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

does WRC and/or the newer F1 games support VR?

I've been thinking about it especially since I upgraded my computer. Hate to pay facebook anything though. Also I do get motion sickness sometimes like on boats in high seas or if I read a book in the backseat of a car on a winding road

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Play posted:

does WRC and/or the newer F1 games support VR?
No and no.

They seem like virtually the only holdouts, which is irksome for my current/want-to-play racing aims. I guess I can't be too surprised with WRC since it seems like progress by them is pretty slow in general with 9 and 10 reviews often likening them to expansions on 8 which turned the franchise for the better; the F1 franchise has apparently been coming up with an excuse for not having VR every year--this year it was focusing on making improvements to leverage potential for the newer consoles.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

necrotic posted:

Yeah, wait until you feel the actual g forces. You might still vomit.

I'll probably just immediately black out.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

V3 pedals review after day 1.

I hope you have an electric impact driver. All of the hex screws were on so loving tight. I stripped one head on the baseplate and will need an easy-out to get that one free. As I went to adjust the pedal faces I encountered a similar amount of resistance but I knew better and got the impact driver back out and broke them loose without issue. Their factory's banging these things on pretty hard.

These pedals are a solid update from my T3PA's. The brake will take some getting use to and adjusting with the Brake performance kit and software to get the pressure right, as well as build the muscle memory for Pressure Vs Brake angle.

The force required is quite a bit more than a standard spring pedal. I have vinyl flooring and had to break out the $5 yoga mat to put my GTomega Classic knockoff wheelstand on to keep my wheelstand from sliding. Also glad I have myself some locking rollerblade wheels because I'd just roll away.

I will probably stick the stiffer gas pedal spring on just for a little more resistance.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Oct 7, 2021

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

1 year free membership to iRacing, new members only, code PR-HagertyDC21

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I mounted Dayton Audio TT25 Mini Shakers to my gas and brake pedal and…………it totally rules. Having the pedals vibrate when the wheels lock or slip is awesome and has been helpful in learning to drive with no assists on F1 2021

MrYenko posted:

It’s such a dumb design flaw that almost seems intentional to force you up a price tier.

:(

I’ve found a sort of solution to this I think. I wound up removing my clutch pedal from the pedal base, and then separating the brake and gas a bit. I then set my brake pedal calibration to not register my foot resting on the pedal at its normal resting force.

This allows me to keep my foot at the same spot on the pedal and be more consistent with braking.

We’ll see if this staves off the urge to upgrade for a bit

I was really looking forward to the pedal vibration on the V3’s though, hence my above mentioned upgrade

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 17, 2021

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Bentai posted:

1 year free membership to iRacing, new members only, code PR-HagertyDC21
This the first time anyone has done this sort of thing?

Have never really felt inclined to get into iRacing* and not really feeling an inkling now, but can't argue with free--although I'm not sure I'd even bother downloading it within the next year.

* Especially since it sounds like an extremely large money sink (sub + nickel and diming you for every additional track/car) on top of sim racing hardware already making it quite expensive compared to most games.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

iracing is not Free it costs money. Even free iRacing cost money for tracks and cars and stuff. The hook is it's good racing when ti's good and the physics are good etc. You will not beat it for an online multiplayer platform. Their AI racing is getting better and again you're getting a good package, car licensing, scanned tracks etc.

Considering the cost of actual racing / other hobbies I sink lots of time into it's not very expensive. Honestly the nice thing about a free year is. You take your $10/month and spend a little on getting some more car /track combinations.

When I first stated I didn't have everything I needed so It meant that I'd maybe sit out a race in my preferred series and race something else in the free ones. At this point I've amassed enough poo poo to pretty much race whatever I want.

edit: it all depends on how you want to run, hotlapping in AC si your thing, iRacing is not your thing. If you want stiff competition online with balanced fields, and punishments for punting people, then iRacing is good.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Oct 18, 2021

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Also if you want oval racing in VR, iracing is the only decent option. Project cars 2 has some oval stuff but it is not good, and for AC you need mods and there’s no rolling starts. I think rfactor 2 has VR but I’ve never tried it.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
iRacing isn't really like a videogame you just buy and maybe play a few hours and move on, it's a hobby like hockey or golf where you spend a bunch of money on kit and a regular fee to use the facilities.

If you're not interested in it as a regular thing it's never going to be good value for money for you. If you're not sure whether it's something you'd like, the introductory offers are a great way to find out if it is or not, and if not you can walk away with minimal outlay.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I'm already too lazy to bother getting the wheel and pedals out even when I kind of want to. Also happiest doing the same course over and over again in rally in order to achieve miniscule progress so I don't think iRacing is really for me. It does look cool tho and I respect it

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Play posted:

Also happiest doing the same course over and over again in rally in order to achieve miniscule progress so I don't think iRacing is really for me.

This is literally the exact person iRacing is for. You're intended to choose one or two classes to run, in which the cars are always the same and the track changes once a week. You're supposed to grind the gently caress out of them. The entry-level classes are all free tracks/cars, too. They also just added a time attack mode with the release of the Mount Washington hillclimb. It's really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

KillHour posted:

This is literally the exact person iRacing is for. You're intended to choose one or two classes to run, in which the cars are always the same and the track changes once a week. You're supposed to grind the gently caress out of them. The entry-level classes are all free tracks/cars, too. They also just added a time attack mode with the release of the Mount Washington hillclimb. It's really good.

I'm just not big on PvP or online stuff in general, is what I mean. Too much pressure, and I like to do races on my own schedule and stop whenever I please, or restart if I want. I'm happy literally racing against myself and myself alone I guess is what I mean.

I also know that if I paid money for it I would pressure myself in my own mind to play it as often as I can and almost feel guilty if I'm not in the mood or want to play something else. These days I only get out my wheel a couple times a month probably so not the best investment for me.

Would be nice if they had a completely free week or something where you can test out the entire platform including all the DLC stuff. Then at the end you could decide if you want it. I feel like they could get a lot of subscribers that way.