Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

the "being able to intimidate kids" thing is less because they're young and more because they don't have free agency or contracts or any sort of union to protect them. also most college coaches (including saban post-miami) don't browbeat their players, because it's just as demotivating to young people as it is to pros. it's a very old school mentality and pretty outdated to what college football coaching is actually like

you'll still get hardass disciplinarians but people tend to wash out of those programs pretty quickly and they don't recruit as well. the idea of "college coach is a bully that can't connect to grown men because he can't intimidate them" is pretty outmoded; in a lot of cases most college coaches are college coaches because they can develop talent quickly and consistently even as they cycle through it which isn't as much of an advantage in the nfl where you don't have huge gaps in athleticism or extremely variant team composition or dramatically different playbooks

all of which is to say that meyer is losing because the jags are a bad team that doesn't have a lot of superlative talent and there's no clever schematic advantage that would cover that up. him not connecting with the players isn't great but it's no different than, say, adam gase, as opposed to some fundamental inability to understand the minds of professional athletes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

oh my god lmao

this whole urban thing is gonna be even better than i thought. I figured he'd just lose a lot then run away in disgrace to some college program but this poo poo is already going well off the rails

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

wow how dare that succubus use her butt in such a way! his poor fingers!!!

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Forrest on Fire posted:

Urban is a recruiter who knows how to sell a future to an 18 year old and his parents. That's a totally different animal from scheme design and NFL success.

Beyond that he's also a CEO type of coach who has always relied heavily on his coordinators and assistants.

And that list right now is Darrell Bevell, Brian Schottenheimer, and Charlie Strong for some reason (Charlie worked with Urban before at least so I get the connection even if it doesn't seem wise, dunno how he settled on the others). And Joe Cullen who I don't know much about.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Zach Thomas should have gone through with beating the poo poo out of Nick Saban when he was with the Dolphins, if only so we could go hey remember when Zach Thomas beat Saban's rear end lmao

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean you got to give Urban credit, he’s funny bad instead of blandly bad

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Grittybeard posted:

Beyond that he's also a CEO type of coach who has always relied heavily on his coordinators and assistants.

And that list right now is Darrell Bevell, Brian Schottenheimer, and Charlie Strong for some reason (Charlie worked with Urban before at least so I get the connection even if it doesn't seem wise, dunno how he settled on the others). And Joe Cullen who I don't know much about.

So who's the front runner for interim coach when he drops out? It's got to be Bevell, right?

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Little Coach Urban
Drank up his bourbon,
Rubbing a nice lady's thighs;
He put in his thumb,
And pulled out a plum,
And said, "'Every week is like playing Alabama"

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean you got to give Urban credit, he’s funny bad instead of blandly bad

Yeah so far the best things are this and every college reporter saying "Urban won't take losing well" being very accurate.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Listen now, what Coach Meyer does in public with honky tonk angels is no business of ours. Why, who among us

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I'm really confused by that maneuver though. what is he expecting to do to that nice ladys butthole through her jeans

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Meyer got caught doing a different type of pre snap motion

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
What I'm learning here is I need to become an NFL head coach.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
ESPN did actually cover the urban thing on NFL countdown. They seemed more focused on the not flying back with the team part but I appreciate randy moss just laughing at how dumb Urbans been so far at the jags.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

J33uk posted:

What I'm learning here is I need to become an NFL head coach.

Well first, be an insanely successful college football coach, THEN take the NFL reigns.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
some people, even ITT, have an insatiable appetite for butthole through jeans

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
In case you need a reminder
https://twitter.com/zach_goodall/status/1445190962335166466

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
That's not really much of a list and includes like... getting hired... signing a player in the off season... releasing a player in camp... naming a starting qb...

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

refusal to do* the obvious

*state

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

That's not really much of a list and includes like... getting hired... signing a player in the off season... releasing a player in camp... naming a starting qb...

The Tebow poo poo is absolutely a key part of the NFL Urbz story because it’s just another sign that he would rather have his guys in the system and gently caress around with a guy who literally hasn’t played football in half a decade. Tim Tebow isn’t just “a player”, he’s one of Urban’s favorite people but he’s also spent 5 years as a baseball player and tv analyst so even if he was in athletic shape he was a guy in his 30s who was really rusty and shouldn’t be getting any sort of attention from NFL teams and that’s before considering that even when he was in prime NFL condition he played a completely different position and not well enough to stick around the league for more than a few years

My theory was that he was signed to act as Urban’s eyes and ears in the locker room because none of the other guys have any real allegiance to him beyond being a coach and he already pissed off the vets with the Doyle hire

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Oct 5, 2021

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

The Doyle thing was real bad and pretty inexcusable followed by an obvious public lie even if it's 'only' a S&C coach.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Is this what you people mean by hot seat?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Penetrating the A gap

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Urban Meyer is just this guy, y'know.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Now here's a guy not afraid to get his hands a little dirty.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/mlombardiNFL/status/1445369107310944260

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

lol why would anyone want urban meyer to coach their nfl team

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Urban Meyer is definitely feeling a burning sensation right about now and also his head coaching job is in jeopardy

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Urban's a total buffoon of course and I'm extremely here for this. But it must really be something to sit in Closed Door Meetings being berated for embarrassing the franchise by the people responsible for the last 20 years of Jaguars decision making.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Another name for the list of guys who should have just quit while they were ahead.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Michael Lombardi just makes poo poo up 90% of the time but I choose to believe him here because this would be hilarious.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'd be sort of surprised if he wasn't done and they are just arguing about contract stuff. It's an opening (haha) for all parties to cut bait and the stuff about him skipping team flights is way more damning than the onfield performance of a rebuilding team.

e: Oh I didn't see that it was Lombardi well

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
https://twitter.com/MikeSilver/status/1445403404327600135?s=20

https://twitter.com/MikeSilver/status/1445403410434600983?s=20

https://twitter.com/MikeSilver/status/1445403412275810318?s=20

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Seems like a more legitimate source than Lombardi. Holy poo poo, he might actually get canned after less than a full season lmao

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I would pay a lot of money to see urban hear a group of athletes laughing at him as soon as he left a room.

Gonna need a golf cart full of papa John’s to get over something like that.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

This is going just as well as all the TFF Florida and Ohio State fans expected lol

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Incredible, a vote of confidence after 4 weeks

https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/1445406896865873928?s=21

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

The high point of Urban's NFL career will quite literally have been a cameo in an AEW PPV.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Week seven bye week.

He’s gone after they get crushed by

/checks notes

Miami? Oh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I predict he's not going to make it to the bye.