Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

punk rebel ecks posted:

Should I return my Apple 20W charger and get a 5W charger instead for overnight charges for my iPhone 13 Pro Max? :ohdear:

ThermoPhysical posted:

Which charger do you use? I'm thinking of getting a slower one for overnight anyway.

I just use the one that came with older iphones, and my old USB A lightning cable. If I didn't already have one I'd just use the 20W one and not worry about it. It's up to you how much you want to fuss over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I got the 30w charger with the MagSafe duo. Yolo.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

Should I return my Apple 20W charger and get a 5W charger instead for overnight charges for my iPhone 13 Pro Max? :ohdear:

No.

You phone is smarter about charging than you or I are.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Guide to taking care of your phone’s battery:

1. Plug it in when it’s low on juice.
2. Don’t loving janitor your phone’s battery.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
As someone who janitors their phone more than they should because it pleases the brainworms. Yeah. Don't janitor the battery. We're talking minimal gain, if any, and there's a very good chance you'll be trading in your phone before the battery health even matters. Or if you prefer to hold on your phone for a long time, paying a little bit for a battery replacement instead of a new phone is worth not worrying about it.

I'm glad Apple got rid of the ability to show the battery percentage on the home screen because the only thing that ever did was make people obsess over the battery level.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Idk about anyone else here but I’m finding that my 13 pro’s battery is lasting a crazy long time even compared to the iPhone 11 that I had replaced with a new battery from apple care in January 2021.

It really does feel like a huge jump up in battery performance. It seems like it’s going to be pretty hard to kill this thing honestly.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

it was light usage, but i went 48 hours without plugging my 13 pro max in without doing anything to it other than just using it like normal. i bet if i used low power mode and kept the brightness low and turned like, mobile data off at night or whatever i could stretch it close to 3 days.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Charles posted:

I don't see how it could unless the charger uses different logic for some reason. I haven't watched a teardown video, but there's no way the electricity is taking a different path into the battery than when you plug it in.

It actually does take a different path since the AC power transferred by Qi needs to be rectified to DC power so it can be used to charge the battery, while wired charging was already rectified to DC in the charging brick outside of the phone and can go directly to the charge controller.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Are there any case recommendations for the regular iPhone 13? I would get the otter box symmetry but it feels wrong to spend $60 on a case. Any drop resistant cases that are somewhat slim like the symmetry?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Jose Oquendo posted:

Guide to taking care of your phone’s battery:

1. Plug it in when it’s low on juice.
2. Don’t loving janitor your phone’s battery.

3. Don't turn off optimized charging, let the phone do its own thing about managing the battery.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

much like longevity in humans is determined more by genetics than by lifestyle choices, i'm pretty well convinced that unless you're trying to milk several years out of it for some reason battery longevity has more to do with winning the QC lottery than any decisions you actually make

i've always plugged all my devices into the fastest charger i could find and have never had a battery die early, just roll them dice

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

As far as I can tell, the "optimized charging" feature doesn't slow down the rate of charge, it is only supposed to delay the time at which full charging occurs so your phone will spend a little bit less time at 100%.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210512

Also I've had it enabled for years, but I've never been able to see it work. When I plug my phone in before bed, it always starts charging immediately, and when I've looked at the battery history in the morning it's always shown that it charged all the way to 100% in one shot. It didn't stop at 80% and then do the last bit at 6 am or whatever. Maybe it just can't figure out my sleep schedule. I do shift it around a couple hours due to work deadlines or early meetings pretty often, and I also sleep in on weekends.

The optimized charging on my Macbook is cool though, it actually just stops charging the battery at 80% and it will sit there for weeks. I can tell it to charge to 100% from the battery icon in the tray if I think I'll need that extra 20%. Once I plug it in again it will keep it fully charged for a few days, then let the battery drain back down to 80%. It's great.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Nitrousoxide posted:

It actually does take a different path since the AC power transferred by Qi needs to be rectified to DC power so it can be used to charge the battery, while wired charging was already rectified to DC in the charging brick outside of the phone and can go directly to the charge controller.

Right but the point is that is all upstream of the battery actually being charged. I'm strongly guessing the battery has one set of leads on it :) extra heat isn't something I had considered though.

Extending the life of your battery may be worth it if you care about the ecological impacts / the children mining the cobalt, not giving more money to Apple, etc. But isn't really possible if you can't set a charge limit. The Apple delayed charging thing (if it works) is a good enough solution for most.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Bad Purchase posted:

For battery health, slower charging is better and less heat is better. Wireless charging is less efficient and creates more heat compared to wired charging at the same speed. It's not a huge effect, but over months of use these things will make a difference. It's hard to find actual tests with phones because of how long it would take to do a controlled study, but you can find some that just look at lithium batteries in general. Here's one that compared battery performance between 25 C and 55 C over ~250 charge cycles, and found that the difference in capacity degradation was around 9% at the hot end vs cool end of that range. That is probably larger than you would see in real life, but the point is the effects from temperature are real and measurable, and we're not talking about burning hot temperatures.
MKBHD complains about iPhones only charging at 18W and says they should do 150W like Xiaomi because "I'm sure battery tech is better these days." I know I shouldn't care about what a Youtube celebrity says, but he has such a big audience that I worry it might induce companies to make technically inferior decisions just to please the market.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Oct 4, 2021

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

MKBHD is the youtube saint of an average consumer with too much money that are just tech savvy enough to think they know what their gadget needs.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

if there is one company on this planet you can be certain will never change their plans based on what youtube wants it's apple

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Bad Purchase posted:

For battery health, slower charging is better and less heat is better. Wireless charging is less efficient and creates more heat compared to wired charging at the same speed. It's not a huge effect, but over months of use these things will make a difference. It's hard to find actual tests with phones because of how long it would take to do a controlled study, but you can find some that just look at lithium batteries in general. Here's one that compared battery performance between 25 C and 55 C over ~250 charge cycles, and found that the difference in capacity degradation was around 9% at the hot end vs cool end of that range. That is probably larger than you would see in real life, but the point is the effects from temperature are real and measurable, and we're not talking about burning hot temperatures.

On my last phone (iphone 8), even slow wireless charging with a basic Qi charger caused the phone to get noticeably warm. I picked up a magsafe charger and 20W wall adapter to try with my 13 pro, and it also gets hot charging that way. If I charge it from a USB port on my PC with a lightning cable, the phone occasionally feels slightly warmer than room temperature, but not much.

Anyway, I agree that you shouldn't micromanage your battery, it's just not worth the hassle to think about every day when in the long run the only difference is whether you pay $50 to replace the battery at 18 months or 24 months. There are some simple things you can do that don't require any extra thought or attention, though. Like if you have a charger next to your bed where you always charge overnight, or you leave your phone charging on your desk during work all day, use one of the old 5 W chargers. It will be better for the battery in the long run and fast charging doesn't matter at all in those use cases. Bring a 20W adapter with you when you travel.

I do wish that I could tell my phone to just stop charging at 80% like my Macbook does (when it sits on the charger all day), since I really don't need the full battery capacity to get through the average day and I know ahead of time if I'll need extra juice. I wish I could do that with my car too, which is a plugin hybrid, and unlike a phone those are gonna cost 100x more than an iphone battery to replace if they go bad.

12 pro max that charges via wireless and has been plugged in to cable fast charging whenever it needs it since release date

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

I don’t like this term “janitor your battery”. All I can think of for a janitor is cleaning bathrooms/facilities and it makes little sense for someone that coddles how their battery charge is handled.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
It's a reference to 'computer janitor', which is a slang term for IT workers.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I want to take this moment to acknowledge the fine folks who work in custodial and sanitation services.

Two more days until my phone is here. :dumb:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Took my launch day 12 Pro in to the Genius Bar this weekend as suddenly my power button was registering a double-tap on every single press. A pretty infuriating defect. They happily completed a warranty repair. After reading the battery health discussion I decided to check mine and see that it's at 100%. The tech told me that the whole rear housing (which conveniently had a crack on it, fresh case now baby!) but is the battery ALSO a part of that? What is left from my original phone, just the screen?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

My 12 mini was the worst iPhone I've ever had (in terms of battery). It was at 87% health in less than a year day of trade-in. Mainly charged via magsafe / wireless. Everything else about it was good so I hope that was just a lemon and the 13 mini fares better.

Speaking of phones, I still can't get my phone unlocked and it's getting annoying. I'm carrying around an old iPhone 7 for now like an absolute fool.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

TraderStav posted:

Took my launch day 12 Pro in to the Genius Bar this weekend as suddenly my power button was registering a double-tap on every single press. A pretty infuriating defect. They happily completed a warranty repair. After reading the battery health discussion I decided to check mine and see that it's at 100%. The tech told me that the whole rear housing (which conveniently had a crack on it, fresh case now baby!) but is the battery ALSO a part of that? What is left from my original phone, just the screen?

Yep.

I just took my 12P in because the button was squishy and didn’t give tactile feedback anymore. Everything except the screen was replaced.

or they software reset the health to 100 on the old battery :v:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yep.

I just took my 12P in because the button was squishy and didn’t give tactile feedback anymore. Everything except the screen was replaced.

or they software reset the health to 100 on the old battery :v:

Excellent. It's like a brand new phone then IMO. With the lackluster 13 this definitely worked out very well for me. Not that the crack on the back glass was horrible, but nice to have a brand new looking phone again without having to make an Applecare claim.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Bad Purchase posted:

Also I've had it enabled for years, but I've never been able to see it work. When I plug my phone in before bed, it always starts charging immediately, and when I've looked at the battery history in the morning it's always shown that it charged all the way to 100% in one shot. It didn't stop at 80% and then do the last bit at 6 am or whatever.

Update: Here's last night. It went straight to 100% and sat there for 5 hours. I'd chalk this up to it being a new phone and not knowing my routine yet, but I restored from a backup rather than setting it up fresh so it should still have my history, and optimized charging never seemed to do anything on my old phone either. I guess my routine is just not predictable enough for it to work :shrug:

Can't complain too much, though. My battery only drained to 75% after a full day with about ~3.5 hours of screen time yesterday. Kinda curious now if I can get away with charging every other day.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

ijyt posted:

MKBHD is the youtube saint of an average consumer with too much money that are just tech savvy enough to think they know what their gadget needs.

Yeah pretty much this haha

He started getting into cars and his car analogies make me cringe.

I kind of feel bad for him now actually (or I would if he weren't obviously raking it in lol) - I feel like he is phoning it in after years of doing these sort of reviews. He obviously doesn't have his heart in it like he used to and it seems like he's doing more and more shill videos (and that's saying something talking about MKBHD).

I think it's probably pretty hard for him to find things to nitpick with modern smartphones because especially for the current generation of iPhones it's pretty hard to complain about pretty much anything imo.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Apparently the 13 Pro's display will bump down to 60 hz when your phone goes into Low Power Mode. Holy crap is it jarring.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

TraderStav posted:

What is left from my original phone, just the screen?
You have the Phone of Theseus.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Gay Retard posted:

Apparently the 13 Pro's display will bump down to 60 hz when your phone goes into Low Power Mode. Holy crap is it jarring.

Thanks for the heads up, just tested it out, pretty cool to see the difference. I have Low Power Mode on my control center.

I wonder if it's even lower than 60z, maybe it's 30hz.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I’ve taken a lot of pictures with my new 13 Pro, at all different zoom levels. But every single one, when I look at the metadata, either uses the ultra wide lens or the wide lens. Never the telephoto lens. What gives?

I read that in some situations it will use the regular lens even if you’re in 3x zoom because of the light or something, but literally I haven’t taken one picture yet that’s used the actual zoom lens.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

OldSenileGuy posted:

I’ve taken a lot of pictures with my new 13 Pro, at all different zoom levels. But every single one, when I look at the metadata, either uses the ultra wide lens or the wide lens. Never the telephoto lens. What gives?

I read that in some situations it will use the regular lens even if you’re in 3x zoom because of the light or something, but literally I haven’t taken one picture yet that’s used the actual zoom lens.

Interesting bug! Try to test it also by putting your finger close (but not too close so it switches to macro) to each lens and see which your viewfinder is currently using.

But it sounds like you are sadly due for a trip to the fruit stand.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Sorry (or you’re welcome?) for derailing Batt-Chat…
I have a question and I can ask it generally and / or very specifically…

I am heading away to a nice location this weekend with my family and in lieu of giving professional family photos as we do for our Christmas cards I decided we could just use my new 13 Pro Max to do a solid job instead.

I have:
BBC The phone
A watch for remote triggering
A good tripod
A camera grip affixed to said tripod

I’m just wondering if there are any tips, settings, techniques (or even apps?) to get the best source image. RAW, maybe? But honestly I’m probably not gonna computer tweak it. I’m fine twiddling knobs on my phone… I just want something that enlarges well and has minimal/no compression.

Thanks!

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Feenix posted:

Sorry (or you’re welcome?) for derailing Batt-Chat…
I have a question and I can ask it generally and / or very specifically…

I am heading away to a nice location this weekend with my family and in lieu of giving professional family photos as we do for our Christmas cards I decided we could just use my new 13 Pro Max to do a solid job instead.

I have:
BBC The phone
A watch for remote triggering
A good tripod
A camera grip affixed to said tripod

I’m just wondering if there are any tips, settings, techniques (or even apps?) to get the best source image. RAW, maybe? But honestly I’m probably not gonna computer tweak it. I’m fine twiddling knobs on my phone… I just want something that enlarges well and has minimal/no compression.

Thanks!

The biggest thing you want is probably good lighting.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

OldSenileGuy posted:

Mine does the same. It seems like they want you to provide way more light than is needed for the camera app to choose the telephoto lens for zoomed shots. I can switch to Portrait mode to force it, and it takes a way better 3x shot than the digital zoom will provide. Bummer! Some third party apps will let you truly choose a lens for a shot.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

OldSenileGuy posted:

3x portrait mode is kind of annoying to me. You have to be super far away unless you want a shot of someone’s eyeball. I like the 3x optical for regular pictures but I wish portrait still had the 2x. That was perfect.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

3x portrait mode is kind of annoying to me. You have to be super far away unless you want a shot of someone’s eyeball. I like the 3x optical for regular pictures but I wish portrait still had the 2x. That was perfect.
Yeah I’m a little torn on the 3x. It’s gonna be great to have in certain situations, but imo it’s a long way from 1x to 3x at 12MP so any digital cropping will look rough pretty fast (eg you can do 1x Portrait and crop, but…)

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

Christ, scrolling in the Gmail app is dogshit now.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

GhostOfTomNook posted:

Christ, scrolling in the Gmail app is dogshit now.

You lost me here bud

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Anyone have pictures of the 13s in normal lighting? Sorry for the dumb question but it’s harder to find than I thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

Inner Light posted:

You lost me here bud

Scrolling in the Gmail app on iOS visibly stutters. No issues scrolling the same emails in mail.app. I thought it was just not updated for Pro Motion, but it looks just as bad on my partner’s 12 pro.