Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

ikanreed posted:

A joke? Maybe. Not a bug though. Character actions in cutscenes are totally scripted.

Toby explicitly had him step into negative space. Considering the overall seriousness of the scene, it also doesn't really read as a joke.

But it also doesn't mean anything that I can tell.

If it's a joke Toby should've put a magical glass tile under him when it happens, IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I know there's clearly Stuff going on with Ralsei but I'm not convinced that bit means anything. I think it's on par with Noelle being able to jump over the normally impassable traffic cones as just sort of a cutscene convenience.

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020
Does it have to be malicious? From a characterization perspective, this could just be illustrating limits - Ralsei's not able to deal with what happened, perhaps. Or is personally responsible for Jevil and Spamton going insane and is working on a cover job :smugbird:

Ledgem
Oct 20, 2010

Gruckles posted:

If it's a joke Toby should've put a magical glass tile under him when it happens, IMO

What's with the glass tiles anyway? I had him walk out of bounds after the long conveyor belt segment after sweet cap'n cakes and cross a bunch of the magical glass tiles. I thought it was hinting at a secret but I can't get out there.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Ledgem posted:

What's with the glass tiles anyway? I had him walk out of bounds after the long conveyor belt segment after sweet cap'n cakes and cross a bunch of the magical glass tiles. I thought it was hinting at a secret but I can't get out there.

I think it has something to do with AI scripting, as the same glass tiles popped up in Undertale when Undyne was chasing you whenever she walked out of bounds

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

I think it has something to do with AI scripting, as the same glass tiles popped up in Undertale when Undyne was chasing you whenever she walked out of bounds

The conveyer belts in Hotland can also make the player step out of bounds, and magic glass was Toby's fix for the bug.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Ralsei walking out of bounds makes the motion more dramatic and noticeable than him walking through Kris and Susie would.

That's about as much as I suspect it matters.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
It's probably just to make the cutscene flow better than if Susie just clips through. But then again, why make that room layout like that? Its only purpose in the game is to have that cutscene in it.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

In 3 years Toby will do a chapter 2 stream with a special build where the room is even narrower and all the characters walk outside it.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Every time you enter the room the floor tiles and your sprite narrow by one pixel.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Ralsei is a speed gamer so he can naturally clip OoB.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
I read it mostly as Susie purposely pushing Ralsei out of the way because she noticed the whole "Kris is in distress right now" and there was no better way to properly convey that kind of interaction.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Electric Phantasm posted:

In the big chapter 7 reveal Ralsei will spend an hour explaining parallel universe tricks to the player

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
poor ralsei

clipped into a wall and died of potassium deficiency

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Spiffster posted:

as if killing someone

I don't think they died though, they just turned into an item and joined up with you. If you have your equipment space maxed out Spamton even gets really pissy about it thinking you filled it up on purpose to keep him from joining you.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

It's because Ralsei is Gaster

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

ralsei is the prince of darkness; he is trying his best :unsmith:

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
G is the 7th letter of the alphabet, T is the 20th; combined, they make 27. With only 26 letters in the alphabet that puts the two of them combined just outside the normal sphere of letters, on the border or fringes, like how Gaster is just outside of reality

I hope someone's writing this down it's free youtube money

edit: Dragonball GT was rendered non-canon, just like how Gaster is now outside the normal canon. COINCIDENCE????????

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
Don't forget the next art club meeting is on October 10th at 8PM, guys

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

somepartsareme posted:

Don't forget the next art club meeting is on October 10th at 8PM, guys

art is dead

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Hogama posted:

Here's stats from right before the end of Chapter 1 compared to the beginning of Chapter 2 in the town (the only significant difference is the top was taken without Devilsknife equipped on Susie while the bottom does have it on).

It's technically two different stats being shown (Kindness 100 vs. Sweetness 97), but I do assume learning sarcasm influenced him.

Important to note that Ralsei's second point of Fluffiness comes from having the dainty scarf equipped in chapter 1, he only has one point naturally and gets a second from the scarf.

However, from the start of chapter 2, once he's gained a level, his inherent Fluffiness stat is two, and he gets no additional points from the scarf. Coincidence?

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Ralsei tells Kris to not think about it because:

1) he has the mentality of a therapy dog

2) he's not an idiot. If Kris is trying to get rid of our control it's obvious why they don't want to discuss that in front of you. Why does Ralsei send you the player away in both chapters? To talk about things we shouldn't hear.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Brandfarlig posted:

Ralsei tells Kris to not think about it because:

1) he has the mentality of a therapy dog

2) he's not an idiot. If Kris is trying to get rid of our control it's obvious why they don't want to discuss that in front of you. Why does Ralsei send you the player away in both chapters? To talk about things we shouldn't hear.

Yeah was thinking that also, it's not for Kris he's saying don't think about it.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Rouxls Kaarde has a sprite very similar to Gaster, thus he’s actually Gaster. Like, not as a misdirection or cover identy, that’s actually him with all his mannerisms

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neuronyx posted:

I NOTICED THAT TOO AND WONDERED WHY NO ONE MENTIONED IT, granted it's a small thing next to ALL THESE OTHER THINGS in the game but yeah. That made me double take. When Ralsei stepped off the path, I mean.

I noticed it but remembered Lancer doing it when he joins you in ch1.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Roxuls also does it repeatedly in the puzzle segments where he just slides on/off the screen. It's not really that unusual.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
There's a lot of pretty clear symbology going on with the Spamton fight, especially in the hidden boss route. The rollercoaster cars coming back despite no gimmicks relating to them, for one. He's on strings, you're on rails. Especially given the themes of agency and bring denied it throughout the game. Seems implied that Kris notices it.

rko
Jul 12, 2017
I have late-night (lol early morning more like it) Deltarune thoughts. About the birdcage. Which I guess I’m putting in spoiler tags?

The game makes it very clear that it’s well-used, and it’s all but outright stated that it’s for the use we saw at the end of Chapter 1. It is, quite literally, the only thing Kris seems to personally own other than clothes and the wagon it’s sitting in. Critically, there’s a stain, not just some fresh spill, in the spot next to the cage.

The entire vibe, plus our ability to move around in SOUL form, suggests that Kris doesn’t really think we’re to be trusted—and they’re not in complete control of the situation unless we’re safely caged/cushioned/cabineted. And as we see in Chapter 2, they do it routinely enough that Toriel shrugs it off when Susie asks why Kris is taking so long.

So why does the story start at this point, and what happened to the previous entities that made Kris decide to cage their SOUL? Why’d they need a new one? What’s different about this time? Most importantly, why do they keep doing it? The game goes to some pains to show you that Kris has been active before you have in this world, with the save file that only shows up when you start a totally fresh game and stops showing up when you’ve completed it—like you’re trapped.

I think a strong hypothesis is that Kris is actually the interrupting voice. We know that them and Noelle have interacted with Gaster (the latter comments on “nostalgia” when around Gasterfied stuff). They’re prepared for hosting a foreign exchange human SOUL, and the denial of agency seems like maybe a good fit for a Knight of Infinite Resignation.

Because whatever Kris is trying to do, it hasn’t worked yet. Because they’re still doing it. And it makes one wonder—how long has the internet been down? How long have the roads been closed? And seriously, how long has Asriel been gone? Why is the town populated by the seemingly cut-off cast of the hit 2015 video game Undertale by indie dev darling Toby Fox, with seemingly no outside contact with the world and a total of one (1) native son off in parts unknown?

Why are they all still around and why aren’t there any people in [PLAYER NAME] Castle Town when you meet Ralsei? Why doesn’t anybody else know about the Dark World, when Kris seems pretty keen to have people join them at the end of this chapter? And why does it seem like this is the first time anybody other than Kris has heard of the Dark World, if Kris has been going so much in the past?

Why is Kris still doing this when the fact that they’re forced to be a puppet hurts them so much?

All of those questions aside, Kris had a saved game before we started, but the birdcage is stained with use, and those two facts just rub together very weirdly in my head.

But to be perfectly honest with my posting friends I am off on that ralsei weed tonight. That might all be really dumb, what I just typed.

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

ralsei's a gamer you say? does this mean that berdley tries to get a kiss from him in chapter 7

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Zamujasa posted:

(with a semicolon)
poo poo, you're right. Sorry for the error I copied it out of my post wrong. :negative:

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
https://twitter.com/The_Hydroxian/status/1445307835026448384?s=19

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Oh, something else I noticed recently is that if you do the thing and then go to that shop, and then show Spamton the disc but refrain from giving it to him, he says that's a real rude thing to do to a "beloved [[stranger]]." He's not entirely incapable of saying the word love.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Oh, something else I noticed recently is that if you do the thing and then go to that shop, and then show Spamton the disc but refrain from giving it to him, he says that's a real rude thing to do to a "beloved [[stranger]]." He's not entirely incapable of saying the word love.

Yeah, because there's a difference between love and LOVE.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
be[hyperlink blocked]ed

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
YOU GIVE [[HYPERLINK BLOCKED]] A BAD [[FILEPATH NOT FOUND]]

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Spiffster posted:

But that’s where I’m getting at here. Kris is super distraught from this fight. Goosebumps present, screaming, super upset and Susie is empathizing with you over this (which made me like her even more). Then Ralsie comes over, gives you a hug which is nice but then tells you to forget about it as if killing someone that yearned for freedom (inadvertently no less in the pacifist run) is no big deal. It’s just so off…

Spamton doesn't die. he turns himself into the item you get and just sort of hangs out with you. He's still fully sentient and fully capable of speech: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQXYY7tqqas

Sometimes Darkners just like hanging out in inventories, as we've seen with Lancer and Roxels Kard it's a nice space for them to chill out and being there prevents them from turning into stone when you travel to other worlds.

Edit:

Jevil also doesn't die, also turns himself into an item and seems to be in a similar state of self awareness (Noelle notes that the the Devilsknife smiles at her). So, yeah, the bonus bosses we beat are just hanging out and chilling in our spacious pants hole.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Oct 5, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
That Darkners seem to like hanging out in inventories probably makes sense given they're apparently inanimate objects given life.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That Darkners seem to like hanging out in inventories probably makes sense given they're apparently inanimate objects given life.

Which was a little more glossed over in chapter 2. Other than maice and plugs, it seems like everything you encounter is one variety of computer program or another.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
So nubert's definitely this right? Like, no other thing they could possibly be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
gently caress that has to be it

:psypop: