Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fair_Winds
Feb 26, 2018

Cimber posted:

Any lodge that is in it for the money isn't a lodge you want to join.
I don't think the one in my town is like that. Is this a common thing that happens?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Depends on the lodge treasurer for one. I wouldn't say it's ever money grabbing as such, more recuperating money spent on facilities/events etc.

Our fees increased from the princely sum of £115 per year to £120 to cover the renovation of the dining facilities during covid. Money well spent as it increased covers so more visitors can comfortably attend.

As for hardship fees the lodge/provencial charity steward will be a wealth of information. My advice would be to enquire what the fees would be to initiate and join your lodge and roughly what it costs per meeting. You will probably find that it is not as much as you currently think anyway so you may be able to afford it as it stands. For me it's the cost of eating out once a month (£16).

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Hey so I saw GL of Tennessee officially extended recognition to Prince Hall. Neat! Do they still ban gay people?

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

Sub Rosa posted:

Hey so I saw GL of Tennessee officially extended recognition to Prince Hall. Neat! Do they still ban gay people?

I ask you, Lord why you enlightened me
Without the enlightenment of all my folks
He said, cuz I set myself on a quest for truth
And he was there to quench my thirst

But I am still thirsty.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
So, got made MMM in the Finnish system, that was a neat ceremony. The older members of my blue group are nice and polite fellows, but they have a bad habit of sending "of by the way there is this one thing..." emails in the middle of the night or during workday and expecting me to read them pretty much right away.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma
Greetings brothers and fellows. So I have a bit of an embarrassing problem. I had some financial difficulties a while back, they went on for a few years. I owe my lodge dues/past dues and every time I tried to pay them some sort of catastrophe happened I had my check bounce. I am 100% sure they are sick of me and ready to do things to me that are from our oaths. That said I love Masonry, it is among one of the best things to ever happen to me.

To get to the point, how do I come crawling back with at least a semblance of my dignity intact?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Lovable Luciferian posted:

Greetings brothers and fellows. So I have a bit of an embarrassing problem. I had some financial difficulties a while back, they went on for a few years. I owe my lodge dues/past dues and every time I tried to pay them some sort of catastrophe happened I had my check bounce. I am 100% sure they are sick of me and ready to do things to me that are from our oaths. That said I love Masonry, it is among one of the best things to ever happen to me.

To get to the point, how do I come crawling back with at least a semblance of my dignity intact?

Give the wm a call and explain your willingness to pay but for reasons this keeps going wrong and ask how to make it right.
Then leave it up to your brethren to decide how sick they are of you. It will be fine and no matter what happens, if you are true the outcome will be as well.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma

Keetron posted:

Give the wm a call and explain your willingness to pay but for reasons this keeps going wrong and ask how to make it right.
Then leave it up to your brethren to decide how sick they are of you. It will be fine and no matter what happens, if you are true the outcome will be as well.

I'm 100% sure they will welcome me back with open arms. I'm just beyond embarrassed.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

I'm 100% sure they will welcome me back with open arms. I'm just beyond embarrassed.
It is a terribly hard lesson to get over yourself but oh my, so valuable.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Keetron posted:

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

if your lodge is anything like mine, that embarrassment is without merit. in my lodge we hold our obligations as a serious matter and charity is very important, especially among brethren. some may whisper good counsel, and you are wise to listen, but that's likely the worst of it. like the previous poster stated, call the wm and be open+honest. it'll all shake out.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Keetron posted:

I know. :unsmith:

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Me, staring daggers at the kindly old boy at my side, daring him to prod me when Ive got this down:
sho when we sall be shummoned from thish shubloonery gently caress

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
When you are doing ritual, you pause for dramatic effect and a PM instantly jumps in from the sidelines to prompt you

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Cimber posted:

When you are doing ritual, you pause for dramatic effect and a PM instantly jumps in from the sidelines to prompt you

i'm in this post and i don't like it.

WE JUST WANT YOU TO SUCCEED, OK!?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

knuthgrush posted:

i'm in this post and i don't like it.

WE JUST WANT YOU TO SUCCEED, OK!?

The PM gives the wrong prompt.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Cimber posted:

The PM gives the wrong prompt.

listen, i have coffee with dan on the ritual board like three times a year. i know my stuff.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
This explains a lot of things I saw in my initiation.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Bargearse posted:

This explains a lot of things I saw in my initiation.

my degrees were each a hot mess and i wouldn't have it any other way. i've been to serious and well done degrees so i understand the gravity of things and that has its place but the bonds we built where there should've been benny hill music will last a lifetime.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

wrt rituals, for some reason we have multiple people in our lodge that are rather active members of my country's ritual board / group, at least one of them is an opera singer and thus well versed in stage work and how to make things look. So as you can expect our rituals are near perfectly performed and staged but I don't know any better as it has been like this for well over a decade. People from all over the country come to see our rituals to find inspiration on how to improve theirs. A side effect is that when I went and visited other lodges, I was a bit shocked by the mess. Took me a while to realize ours is just very well done.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

We're unique to our province to the confusion/delight of guests, so we always have a laugh that 'haha if we muck it up who'll know'. However all our old boys were themselves trained up by fearsome ww1 drill sergeants, and I know they know

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
I'm kinda sad I had to resign from my position as a scribe on our lodge, but too much work stuff getting in the way and I don't want to half-rear end a position with some actual responsibilities. Thankfully the WM was very understanding.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Ataxerxes posted:

I'm kinda sad I had to resign from my position as a scribe on our lodge, but too much work stuff getting in the way and I don't want to half-rear end a position with some actual responsibilities. Thankfully the WM was very understanding.

We all have been there, brother.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
There is one big thing I’ve gotten out of Freemasonry, I never used to be able to just strike up a conversation with a complete stranger, it always felt really awkward.

Now I have absolutely no problem with it.

Micr0chiP
Mar 17, 2007
I was in the mood for some scientific facts about the emergence of conscience and downloaded a YouTube video so that i could listen it at work.
To my surprise its about the similarities between the evolution of the ancient myths and the evolution of the mind as its formed.
Lots of ancient mythology interpretation and that gave me the ideia of asking an artist friend of mine to make me a painting with some symbols because he cant sell anything and with my request he would get some money and ill get a sweet painting to hang.

This was what i sent him (quick draft made on mobile)

Lol

And this is what he made:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1b2sqWjfXLND8eCQqTwJwU4gb4BFkfl04/view?usp=drivesdk
Wow

Just thought that you guys would like it because of the symbols and whatnot.
Here's the YouTube video in case you'te curious:
https://youtu.be/lGObo8O-XaA

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Had this come across my timeline (thread)

https://twitter.com/MIAagainstFash/status/1489403040780144643

I see some forget their obligations.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Don't tell me cowboy hats are obligatory.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Slightly related: My grandpa wore a grey stetson cowboy hat when he was WM. My wife said I looked real dorky in a cowboy hat so I got a grey stetson branded trilby at for my term. Felt pretty clever but still looked dorky.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

So for Christmas my lady gave me a fez. I wear lots of weird hats in public. Firefighters, safari, boy scouts, milkman etc. Will wearing a fez in public get my rear end kicked by a bunch of middle aged men? I wouldn't do anything unbecoming of it. My grandfather was a master mason and knits templar and a shriner. It is just a comfy hat and I already have the tiny go cart.

Just curious. Dont want to piss anyone off.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I suspect you might get people asking you strange, but curiously consistent, questions...

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Nessus posted:

I suspect you might get people asking you strange, but curiously consistent, questions...

Well, That will be all kinds of fun, I will have all kinds of strange and curiously consistent answers. And no, I am not going to pretend to be a master mason or a shriner, I just like he hat.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

i suppose it depends on where you are. in my region folks would probably get fussy about it from a distance. i've not known our local shriners to wear their fancy hats out in public unless it's an event. i've also not known them to be very chill dudes. we've had some poor interactions with the shrine. :(

if it were a grotto fez on the other hand, the dudes in my area would probably try to hand you a petition.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

What is a grotto fez?

Also another question, my grandfather wanted to leave me his other masonic hat it was some kind of Napoleon looking hat with ostrich feathers. It was in a leather box like my fez, any Idea of what it was for? I only went to the lodge as a early teen and we all just hung out and ate strawberry shortcake. Really. He also gave me his templar sword, case and all, ivory handle. Is cool, i dont use it to chop things.

Applesnots fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Feb 14, 2022

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

It sounds like a hat from the commandary (knights templar from the york rite). When they're white on black we sometimes call them skunk hats. They're occasionally black in black though.

The grotto is just another masonic organization that happens to also wear a fez. Usually a black fez with a red or purple tassle while the shrines are usually a red fez.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

knuthgrush posted:

It sounds like a hat from the commandary (knights templar from the york rite). When they're white on black we sometimes call them skunk hats. They're occasionally black in black though.

The grotto is just another masonic organization that happens to also wear a fez. Usually a black fez with a red or purple tassle while the shrines are usually a red fez.

That sounds about like it, I only got to see it once, and googling it yep that is it. Thanks. I am gonna wear my fez anyway though.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Fez on, my man

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

what on earth I'm not even a mason

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

Well, what is keeping you? Obviously facebook thinks you should be and they know EVERYTHING.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

shame on an IGA posted:

Then become one ya dingus

Also I just found out I'm being passed to Fellow Craft this month, wish me luck

Bargearse fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Mar 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Bargearse posted:

Then become one ya dingus

Also I just found out I'm being passed to Fellow Craft this month, wish me luck

it was nice knowing you... it really was.

but seriously, you're gonna have a blast. the fc is my most favoritest of all the degrees. so much packed into it. congrats!