Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Ensign Boimler's climbing a mountain, why is he climbing a mountain?

He wants to suck up to the mountain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I hope the disco-future era klingons are once again distinct from their appearances on TOS, TNG, Disco, and Disco Again A Little Later. Klingons are the warrior race who radically later appearances sometimes and nobody talks about it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I like to imagine that each starship has a gift shop where you can just buy ship branded merchandise.

Like all diplomatic ship tours conclude with the gift shop.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Wolf 359 challenge coins

Captain Picard Day greeting cards

Tasha holograms

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Khanstant posted:

I hope the disco-future era klingons are once again distinct from their appearances on TOS, TNG, Disco, and Disco Again A Little Later. Klingons are the warrior race who radically later appearances sometimes and nobody talks about it.

They're semitranslucent and there appears to be luminescent algae in their cranial ridges

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Martytoof posted:

I like to imagine that each starship has a gift shop where you can just buy ship branded merchandise.

Like all diplomatic ship tours conclude with the gift shop.

Sign me up for a Galaxy-class backpack which has a velcro-detachable upper section, for when you want to haul less stuff around, such as into combat.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Picard's writing can be summed up as thus;

"Hey kids; Look, it's that character you remember from TNG/VOY!"

:commissar:

"Oh no, they died and look how sad that made you. I am good at writing drama, look how sad I can make the audience! :downs:"

"We look for drama. Drama that makes you sad. That makes plot go. We are Emmys."

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
It hasn't been said about Picard in a while so I want to remind people that we need more Irish-Romulan screen time.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It seems like we'll be seeing them more in season 2 so I look forward to the monkey paw.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Khanstant posted:

Give us every Klingon design at once in a single scene. Smooth boys, ridged, disco, JJ, TAS or Lower Decks cartoons animated into the shot Roger Rabbit style. No explanation.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

They really should have just put Dorn in the old school TOS makeup when they beamed over to the space station and had no one comment on it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Redesigning the Klingons for every season of Disco would be a funny running gag.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
*floating metallic cubes spin through 32nd century Starfleet headquarters*

“ah yes the klingons are here”

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Crusader posted:

lower decks soundtrack friday

I really loved that opening note of the LDS theme. It’s the same note TNG uses before Picard starts talking, and it just screams Trek to me.

Also all the BoBW music reuse on the Borg segments last week was great.

Also that RITOS T-shirt is definitely going to be the Titmouse tee of the week.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

I really loved that opening note of the LDS theme. It’s the same note TNG uses before Picard starts talking, and it just screams Trek to me.

Lower Decks often opens with the same kind of extended notes that TNG/DS9/VOY would open with and it makes me really nostalgic. Not always that exact one but there was a certain type of opening background sound that just was part of the whole experience. No idea what instrument/combination of instruments it was but it was very distinct. Go start up any episode and there's about a 90% chance it'll be there and you'll recognise it right away.

I think part of it's the music notes being overlaid with the general ship background hummmmmm.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Oct 5, 2021

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

Mrenda posted:

It hasn't been said about Picard in a while so I want to remind people that we need more Irish-Romulan screen time.

i will watch clips of the irish romulan and that's all i'll watch

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Grand Fromage posted:

Redesigning the Klingons for every season of Disco would be a funny running gag.

Go with me on this; TOS-style Klingons.

Why? They don't want to talk about it. Again.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Well Lower Decks did just bring back the Klingon Foot Claw.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Oct 5, 2021

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Something I reckon they could do with "later" Star Trek era shows like Lower Decks, etc, is get some more Klingons in the Federation and Starfleet, but explicitly the non-warrior ones. The Warriors are still dickish allies that want to do to their own thing, but give the other professions a bit more screentime by having a bunch of them decide to get away from the Warriors and go someplace they'll actually be respected for what they do.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

MikeJF posted:

Well Lower Decks did just bring back the Klingon Foot Claw.

That seems like it would make it really hard to put on boots. Claw will be scraping the whole time. Why do klingons wear boots?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Something I reckon they could do with "later" Star Trek era shows like Lower Decks, etc, is get some more Klingons in the Federation and Starfleet, but explicitly the non-warrior ones. The Warriors are still dickish allies that want to do to their own thing, but give the other professions a bit more screentime by having a bunch of them decide to get away from the Warriors and go someplace they'll actually be respected for what they do.

i too demand klingon lawyer

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

nine-gear crow posted:

The t-shirts that said DISCO on them were one of the few unalloyed good things about Discovery so I'm happy to see that they're a Starfleet standard. It would have made Voyager a lot better if Janeway, Paris and Kim just walked around the ship every now and then in a t-shirt that just said VOYAGE on it or something.

Obviously the Voyager shirts would be VGER.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I'm the goon who looked at the second image and thought "Is she holding small packs of Doritos? Is that a Doritos t-poo poo?"

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I'm the goon who looked at the second image and thought "Is she holding small packs of Doritos? Is that a Doritos t-poo poo?"

Wait, have they been flying in a giant Doritos this whole time!

First they change Klingons to look like space orks, then they change a Doritos to look like a starfleet ships!

New Trek stop randomly changing the look of everything, I don't like it!!!!!!

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

The t-shirts that said DISCO on them were one of the few unalloyed good things about Discovery so I'm happy to see that they're a Starfleet standard. It would have made Voyager a lot better if Janeway, Paris and Kim just walked around the ship every now and then in a t-shirt that just said VOYAGE on it or something.

That sort of capitalistic "branding" feels sort out of place for Star Trek.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

Reminds me a bit of the first t-shirt club shirt from last year, which I would've gotten if I didn't live in the antipodes.

I like when you can get nondescript but theoretically in-universe clothes.

The ENT people occasionally using the NX-01 caps was great too.

LinkesAuge posted:

That sort of capitalistic "branding" feels sort out of place for Star Trek.

Eh, it's pretty common for naval personnel to have casual clothes with their ship's name embroidered. There's a whole 'ship pride' thing that still fits well in trek.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Oct 5, 2021

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Eh, Lower Decks episodes get better the more Mariner is pushed into the background/supporting cast, this season has really demonstrated that. They can't fundamentally change the character but I hope they use this one to officially dial her down a couple of notches.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Reading this first Picard novel and maybe the story of the Romulan Rescues that actually tells us about all these characters and their motivations would be more interesting and less jarring than the weird Robot Cthulhu story that they gave us.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

They should bring back this baby:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Zurtilik posted:

Boimler's wearing it

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Is he actually? I haven't gotten around to Lower Decks yet. I seems like the franchise that would make a call back to it.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Zurtilik posted:

Is he actually? I haven't gotten around to Lower Decks yet. I seems like the franchise that would make a call back to it.

https://twitter.com/TheTrekCentral/status/1445133047570092034/photo/3

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Wonderful!

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I hope they put Boimler's taint in every episode from now on just to annoy joyless nerds.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

I can't believe they said 'gently caress' on my Trek!

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

i love lower decks

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

SMH 2 penises and not even a decent bulge on that sheet.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Remembering that Data is fully functional and anatomically correct as I get mad about Boimler's taint.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Remember that time quark tried to sell a holographic sex doll of Kira that had his face?

Anyway what I'm saying is humourous unsettling sex stuff has no place in star trek, a universe dreamt up by a massive pervert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Zurtilik posted:

That font is extremely 1989 and I’ve always had a soft spot for that era of graphic design.