Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

yard salad posted:

send this to the guy earlier in the thread who complained that his large dog requires the US to be enslaved to Moloch, ie the Car, which I hate

I have two large dogs and neither of them force me to be enslaved to greater demons, mostly what they do is run back and forth the length of the house, eat, and sleep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Cars sucks

Lightning McQueen? More like Lightning McQueef, I say

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Vomik posted:

i think a 2021 f150 has way better mpg than a 1996 ford ranger

oh yeah it does 5 more mpg. in fact that v8 96 ford ranger gets worse mpg than a raptor

not exactly. the actual typical driven mpg of modern f150's ends up being closer to 18 mpg, which is about the same (or possibly even worse) than real world mpg on like say a 1983 ranger. although on paper/ideally it is better and certainly more 'powerful' for what you get per gallon.

they weight about +2000 lbs more and have larger drag, so make a 1980s-sized ranger with modern tech design and you'd get way way more mpg.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah i remember when like 24mpg was decent for a sedan in the 90s and now i get over 40

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Xaris posted:

not exactly. the actual typical driven mpg of modern f150's ends up being closer to 18 mpg, which is about the same (or possibly even worse) than real world mpg on like say a 1983 ranger. although on paper/ideally it is better and certainly more 'powerful' for what you get per gallon.

they weight about +2000 lbs more and have larger drag, so make a 1980s-sized ranger with modern tech design and you'd get way way more mpg.

my 2002 ford ranger gets ~25 mpg on highways. maybe like 23 some mornings when I'm driving home through the insane morning traffic where literally everyone is bumper to bumper going 15 over the limit so they aren't late for their office jobs.

a guy at work has a 2018 ford range that he says gets 15 mpg. 12 in the summer when he has to run the engine to blast a/c on work breaks lmao

side by side our trucks are basically that comparison image from the other page.

Minera has issued a correction as of 09:04 on Oct 5, 2021

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

just roll down the windows, A/C is for losers lol

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

i say swears online posted:

its arkansas so its like 95 degrees wet bulb

thankfully any car owners with non functioning ac will be eliminated after our first lethal wet bulb event

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

arkansas is a cold northern state. what's it feel like to have four distinct seasons, jerk

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Minrad posted:

after our first lethal wet bulb event

really hate this nonsense phrasing

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

lmfao. car users will never see anything like this.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

I have mad allergies but i would be pumped to have that guy and his cute dog on my public transit vehicle.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Shinkansen have strict pet carrier dimensions limits and won't even permit you to book an extra seat. Max 70cm, with the L+W+D of 90cm. Pet plus carrier max of 10kg. It's bullshit.

Other trains and busses sometimes let you on with hard or soft cases, so long as the pet is totally enclosed. People board with baby strollers and such, generally ok if your pet carrier isn't larger than a stroller. Sometimes a bus driver will complain, like around commuting times.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
I just ride my cane corso into the train car

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Xaris posted:

yeah for sure - obviously part of it is technology / regulations and a designed smaller truck today would get much better mpg

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I legit never use car AC and I think it's hilarious that people will blast it every second. People go sit in their cars at lunch and put it on max.

Roll your goddamned window down you loving weenies. And if you're just sitting in the parking lot go sit under a tree or something.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I legit never use car AC and I think it's hilarious that people will blast it every second. People go sit in their cars at lunch and put it on max.

there's no more american image than a solitary dude hunched over in his car, silently eating a subway sandwich

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Polo-Rican posted:

there's no more american image than a solitary dude hunched over in his car, silently eating a subway sandwich

kick it up a jingoistic notch by having another guy eating a subway sandwich alone in his car screaming "man the gently caress up you homos and roll down your windows" to the scene

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I feel like at least one of them would be eating jimmy johns

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I feel like at least one of them would be eating jimmy johns

delivered to his car

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
sitting in my lovely car eating lunch and sweating my balls off feeling smug, while i dagger-eye my coworker eating jimmy johns in his air-conditioned 2021 ford bronco.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the idea of people sitting in their cars just wasting gas by not moving and blasting the ac in a parking lot... very upsetting. i dont even turn the engine on until im buckled in and ready to put the car into drive.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

i don't wear a seatbelt because if i wreck i want to die so there's one less car owner in the world - i'm that committed to the cause

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

lobster shirt posted:

the idea of people sitting in their cars just wasting gas by not moving and blasting the ac in a parking lot... very upsetting. i dont even turn the engine on until im buckled in and ready to put the car into drive.

Even from a mechanical sympathy point of view, of which this thread is the antithesis, seeing this is so painful.

I work at a healthcare facility and people will literally sit in their cars for hours just blasting the AC as their cooling system cycles on and off and their engine just lugs along. So much carbon buildup

Of course there are picnic tables under trees literally right there, but they'd rather sit in that hermetically sealed box slowly pumping out greenhouse gases, carbon monoxide, and particulates

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
as a pedestrian i get like 0.5 mpg because chugging a gallon of gasoline makes my tummy hurt and then walking is uncomfortable :(

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

yard salad posted:

send this to the guy earlier in the thread who complained that his large dog requires the US to be enslaved to Moloch, ie the Car, which I hate

you can't take dogs on public transit in my city (and I assume the US in general) unless they are service animals

also lol at carrying a loving greyhound in a tote, do you have any idea what their dimensions are like

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vomik posted:

yeah for sure - obviously part of it is technology / regulations and a designed smaller truck today would get much better mpg
That's the thing that's infuriating. We have all this new technology that could go into making more fuel efficient trucks but instead it goes into making bigger heavier trucks with the same fuel efficiency as the earlier smaller ones.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

in my city you can bring non-service animals but they gotta be crated up

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

lobster shirt posted:

in my city you can bring non-service animals but they gotta be crated up

I would imagine that's viable if the dog is pretty small and you can easily just carry the crate with one hand

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

actionjackson posted:

you can't take dogs on public transit in my city (and I assume the US in general) unless they are service animals

I did once see someone bringing her (quite large) dog to the vet on the bus but I'm pretty sure that was just the driver being nice. I'd hope that once we have trains that go everywhere and communities built around them that we've also thought about the need to sometimes transport large pets.

Anyway, our glorious car-free future is still gonna need poo poo like ambulances and accommodation for the disabled too.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Dolphin posted:

That's the thing that's infuriating. We have all this new technology that could go into making more fuel efficient trucks but instead it goes into making bigger heavier trucks with the same fuel efficiency as the earlier smaller ones.

:capitalism:

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Both my dad and father-in-law need to have a truck for actual work things, and both of them have to go on wait lists and/or multiple dealerships to find a single truck that isn't a crew cab.

Also gently caress cars, this is my favorite place to go in Austria when I'm visiting family and something like that can't exist in the US

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

zegermans posted:

Both my dad and father-in-law need to have a truck for actual work things, and both of them have to go on wait lists and/or multiple dealerships to find a single truck that isn't a crew cab.

Also gently caress cars, this is my favorite place to go in Austria when I'm visiting family and something like that can't exist in the US

my dad is similar in that he is a contractor and needs to regularly move lumber and poo poo but just wants a dang fuckin single cab that gets 26+mpg like his old 2000 s10

he's regularly all flustered like "these used to be farm vehicles now they have all this fancy electric mumbo jumbo poo poo and heated seats and lighted windshield wipers in them"

Dolphin has issued a correction as of 16:44 on Oct 5, 2021

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
i have heard that 90s pickup trucks are worth their weight in gold on the secondhand market because they are so much more utilitarian than new ones for people who actually need a pickup truck for work instead of for appeasing their masculinity

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

docbeard posted:

I did once see someone bringing her (quite large) dog to the vet on the bus but I'm pretty sure that was just the driver being nice. I'd hope that once we have trains that go everywhere and communities built around them that we've also thought about the need to sometimes transport large pets.

Anyway, our glorious car-free future is still gonna need poo poo like ambulances and accommodation for the disabled too.

If I ever moved it would be to north loop, downtown so I can do almost everything without a car, and immediate green space. For transporting pets there are specialty services (https://www.spoton.pet/), but you can also rent a car. Of course renting even a small car is at least $60, and if they decide you didn't clean it enough they can bill you hundreds of dollars lol.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

people get large dogs the same reason they get large cars, to be annoying

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

zegermans posted:

people get large dogs the same reason they get large cars, to be annoying

stfu bitch

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

lol look at what covid did to carsharing

Only registered members can see post attachments!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lobster shirt posted:

if you're serious, make sure you're letting the car idle for like 20 or 30 seconds until the rpms drop; throwing it into drive or reverse immediately is bad

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

vyelkin posted:

i have heard that 90s pickup trucks are worth their weight in gold on the secondhand market because they are so much more utilitarian than new ones for people who actually need a pickup truck for work instead of for appeasing their masculinity

Until the mid 2000s trucks were the cheapest vehicles you could buy. Now, accounting for features, they are the most expensive.

I'd hate to be a contractor right now because trucks cost way too much and vans are all pumped up too due to van lifer types.

Such a stupid trend my god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

i say swears online posted:

"No matter what city or car was being studied, open windows showed the highest exposure to pollution. Driving with the windows down during peak commuting hours showed a 90 percent rise in pollution exposure. The safest was driving during non-peak hours with the windows up and air recirculation turned on to allow cabin filters to do their work"

There is way too much truck exhaust to drive with windows down around here.