Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

2DCAT posted:

Maybe it's because I haven't played an MMO in awhile, but I find the game to be rather fun. The grind, while as long as it ever was with other games, is more enjoyable to me as well. I've kind of abandoned the main and side quests about 10 levels ago to just go out and do whatever I wanted to do

yeah most of my leveling has just been running from one place to another chopping or mining everything in sight. It's probably why I'm not even 30 yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

woke up owning MB, came back and we lost it

the reason per faction chat "they're a bunch of piss bottlers who steam rolled us with lvl 60s"

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Pussy Snorkel posted:

I mean, you're not supposed to hold a territory indefinitely. I think flipping every day would be annoying but there's definitely going to be a sweet spot in there. It would get massively stale if a company just holds a place forever.

Don’t get me wrong I can see the reasoning behind it but with this mechanic the only thing saving a war from happening every day is the 48 hour timer for the war in which case a three or four time a week war instigated by two people would get stale as gently caress real quick. I’m definitely about having to do it twice a week for funsies because I even would like the excitement of “oh poo poo we may lose it this time let’s go hard baby!”.

I mean a big thing was I was thinking before launch that it’d happen a couple times a month and I’d take off work the next day because I’d have to stay up late for it since I have to be at work hours before a normal person wakes up. But to be fair that’s just me so I can’t fault a whole game or community for that.

Barnsey
Apr 19, 2005
What should my housing strategy be? just buy at the earliest opportunity ? There's a small one in my town for 2.5k with reduction.

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

Boar It posted:

So I kept hearing about how you shouldn't start the main quest or whatever if you want to play in another region. But since I'm alone at the moment I just kept going where I started, namely First Light. But after that I would like to go to Brightwood since it seems like a much more interesting region compared to the neighboring Cutlass Keys. Will that be possible or will the main story quest keep pushing me towards Cutlass Keys eventually because it is closer?

You can go wherever after you finish your first town. Syndicate and Covenant get sent to Brightwood for their faction quest and Marauder to Cutlass Keys I think but you can do that then just leave.

Ive yet to see any questlines that continue in other towns. They may send you there but you always come right back to the town it started in.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Barnsey posted:

What should my housing strategy be? just buy at the earliest opportunity ? There's a small one in my town for 2.5k with reduction.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

causticBeet posted:

I haven’t heard much grumbling about this so I figure it’s a fairly localized problem, but on some servers it seems like the expeditions are absolutely hammered by desync.

I’ve done amrine 3 or 4 times now and have only been able to actually beat it once. The final boss will basically 1 shot you from across the room before even beginning his charge animation. Any enemy that moves quickly is nearly impossible to hit with ranged weapons. Most groups have taken the approach of trying to just massively out level the place (the time I beat it we had a mix of 30+) since it’s not possible to engage with the mechanics as designed.

It seems to be server wide, but maybe not all servers? Honestly super super frustrating and very lovely, especially for something that is gating to the main quest.

Also, it seems like due to the lockouts on creation for certain servers, what were once nice quiet low/med pop servers are getting queued. I’m on Brobdingnag, which used to hover around 1500 or so, but now has had a small queue for the last few days. 200-300 queues go fast, but I’m concerned about it going up even more. They really hosed up by starting to lock servers without having a transfer solution in place. I eagerly await to see what new and exciting ways they will gently caress up transfers.

Not to be an rear end but your group needs to get better at the game.

I have 15+ runs and we have never failed to clear it. You need a tank, healer and 3 dps.

edit: we started clearing it at lvl 22-23

Raged fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Oct 5, 2021

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Played around with warhammer/life staff last night and it felt crazy powerful. Loving it so far

Although one thing that bugs me is the two weapons don’t sit the same when carrying on your back. Instead of making an X or whatever they are caddy womp. :argh:

Demon Of The Fall fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Oct 5, 2021

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

punch drunk posted:

You can go wherever after you finish your first town. Syndicate and Covenant get sent to Brightwood for their faction quest and Marauder to Cutlass Keys I think but you can do that then just leave.

Ive yet to see any questlines that continue in other towns. They may send you there but you always come right back to the town it started in.

Ah cool. I'm Covenant so that works out perfectly then. Thanks for the info.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Regarding Amrine, you really just need a good tank that can dodge more than anything else. Two of the runs I’ve done have had the tank die on the last boss and I have to pick up tanking. I only have a handful of points in 1h sword and shield but was able to stay alive from 70% on. Most of his attacks can be blocked, a few cannot and require a dodge. There’s plenty of room in the room to move around, eat, and pop potions to heal if you have a bad healer.

Dps needs to not die to his slams too. Again, just all about dodging at the right time.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

For people doing the Warhammer/Life Staff build, is there any reason you use Focus as your main stat and gem the hammer for Focus instead of using Strength and gemming the Life Staff for Strength? I want to be more of a tank than a healer, so I think I'm going to try that. But since everyone else seems to be doing the opposite, I wasn't sure if there was reasoning behind that.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

GoGoGadget posted:

For people doing the Warhammer/Life Staff build, is there any reason you use Focus as your main stat and gem the hammer for Focus instead of using Strength and gemming the Life Staff for Strength? I want to be more of a tank than a healer, so I think I'm going to try that. But since everyone else seems to be doing the opposite, I wasn't sure if there was reasoning behind that.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you can gem for Str. Pretty sure you can only gem for INT or FOC.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

This recommendation might make sense two months in, but right now you can probably only afford the 5k (discounted to 2500) house, and it sounds miserable to avoid having your house until you have 30 faction and 150k or whatever, so that you can buy the expensive one.

Lv1Magikarp
Aug 16, 2018

Pigbottom posted:

I think they should tune down the requirements for those open x chests quests. I now just skip them co's they get annoying pretty fast. It seems like they want you to find all or at least almost all of the chests in certain areas, so I feel like I waste a lot of time just looking for that drat last chest.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Pussy Snorkel posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you can gem for Str. Pretty sure you can only gem for INT or FOC.

I think this is correct.

The gems aren't just a "make this scale with another stat" modifier. They convert a portion of the weapon's damage to an element, and then that scales with the corresponding stat. All the elements scale with either Intelligence or Focus.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Raged posted:

Not to be an rear end but your group needs to get better at the game.

I have 15+ runs and we have never failed to clear it. You need a tank, healer and 3 dps.

edit: we started clearing it at lvl 22-23

Lol it’s apparently a known bug so you’re just wrong, but thank you for explaining the brand new concept of a basic bitch 5 man group comp.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
Do ice gaunt effects really don't work when you switch weapons? That's pretty silly and defeats the whole point of having the two weapon system to begin with. It kills all the synergy you can have between weapons.

I thought that was only the case with hatch berserk as a way to balance how powerful it already is.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Royllo’s biggest marauder guild lost their war for windsward last night to the syndicate. From a guy who was playing musket clicking heads on the defense they did not play perfectly but the real reason they lost is the attackers had a ton of 60s pooled from both purple and yellow teams and they barely took it with one minute left. I didn’t know you could join in as the third man faction out. I guess it’s a temporary problem but it does seem very lame to lose territory to poopsocking right now since I have also heard the real problem is that attacking is drat near impossible with evenly matched teams. Over the next week the sever is probably going to get painted purple if they can attack everywhere fast enough.

Harrow posted:

I think this is correct.

The gems aren't just a "make this scale with another stat" modifier. They convert a portion of the weapon's damage to an element, and then that scales with the corresponding stat. All the elements scale with either Intelligence or Focus.

Someone else posted yesterday that the whole weapon does switch stat scaling if your int/foc is high enough to outscale the default stat. I have no clue who is right.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Harrow posted:

I think this is correct.

I don't think this is correct, reading the gem descriptions

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Someone else pointed this out:

Single stat weapons get 1x. Double stat weapons get .9 for primary and .65 for secondary. This was in the patch notes.
So the ratio for rapier is 0.9 Dex and 0.65 Int. So if you put in a gem that converts 50% damage to int, and you have mostly int, this is what the ratio would be.

0.5 x (0.9 dex + 0.65 Int) + 0.5 x ( 0.5 Int + 0.65 Int) = 0.45 Dex + 0.9 Int total.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

NeurosisHead posted:

I don't think this is correct, reading the gem descriptions

I don't have it in front of me but I find the descriptions kinda vague so it's very likely I'm wrong.

Either way I don't think there are STR or DEX scaling gems, unless I'm extremely wrong.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Hy_C posted:

Someone else pointed this out:

Single stat weapons get 1x. Double stat weapons get .9 for primary and .65 for secondary. This was in the patch notes.
So the ratio for rapier is 0.9 Dex and 0.65 Int. So if you put in a gem that converts 50% damage to int, and you have mostly int, this is what the ratio would be.

0.5 x (0.9 dex + 0.65 Int) + 0.5 x ( 0.5 Int + 0.65 Int) = 0.45 Dex + 0.9 Int total.

So Int gemmed Rapier actually get higher damage than a full dex build Rapier?

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Thronde posted:

No they’re both .9 stat scaling

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Thronde posted:

No, slightly less.

No gem = 0.9x Dex and 0.65x Int
Gem = 0.45x Dex and 0.9x Int

That said it also doesn't make that big of a difference unless you're leveling both Dex and Int, which you probably aren't because you get a lot more value going all-in on one or the other.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

So I posted yesterday about not being able to fast travel. At the same time, whenever I relogged, my pinned quests would toggle off and no longer show up without abandoning and starting the quest over. When I researched *that* issue, I found a thread where Amazon support had instructed someone to futz around in their network settings. Specifically, disabling TCP/IPv6. I tried this and not only did it fix my quests, it also enabled map icons... Mine had *never* worked. With the fix I saw them for the first time. I thought the map was just pretty useless. And that is why the fast travel instructions seemed so incomprehensible to me.

So the story has a happy ending, and in the event anyone has the same issue down the road, that's the fix. I am not even close to computer literate enough to understand why that would be a thing.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
Another complaint I have. It would be great if the game stopped spawning a billion lvl25 corrupted portals right on top of the regions where low level players have to complete quests.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Xalidur posted:

So I posted yesterday about not being able to fast travel. At the same time, whenever I relogged, my pinned quests would toggle off and no longer show up without abandoning and starting the quest over. When I researched *that* issue, I found a thread where Amazon support had instructed someone to futz around in their network settings. Specifically, disabling TCP/IPv6. I tried this and not only did it fix my quests, it also enabled map icons... Mine had *never* worked. With the fix I saw them for the first time. I thought the map was just pretty useless. And that is why the fast travel instructions seemed so incomprehensible to me.

So the story has a happy ending, and in the event anyone has the same issue down the road, that's the fix. I am not even close to computer literate enough to understand why that would be a thing.

IME that means you have a virus.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Anita Dickinme posted:

Don’t get me wrong I can see the reasoning behind it but with this mechanic the only thing saving a war from happening every day is the 48 hour timer for the war in which case a three or four time a week war instigated by two people would get stale as gently caress real quick. I’m definitely about having to do it twice a week for funsies because I even would like the excitement of “oh poo poo we may lose it this time let’s go hard baby!”.

I mean a big thing was I was thinking before launch that it’d happen a couple times a month and I’d take off work the next day because I’d have to stay up late for it since I have to be at work hours before a normal person wakes up. But to be fair that’s just me so I can’t fault a whole game or community for that.

It kind of depends on this "grace period" - if it's for a few days then that seems fairly reasonable. If you're actively defending your territory from being put into contested state, you can stave off war for a few days and so you only defend twice a week or something instead of every 2 days.

I think the ONLY reason this is okay is because 1) wars are limited to 30 minutes and 2) the controlling guild gets to set the time. So yeah, it sucks for people like you with "abnormal" schedules but it's a hell of a lot better than EVE alarm clock ops.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Pigbottom posted:

Another complaint I have. It would be great if the game stopped spawning a billion lvl25 corrupted portals right on top of the regions where low level players have to complete quests.

lol yeah if there is no one around to clear them these can take up whole zones

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Xalidur posted:

I don't believe for a single goddamn second that it's IPv6. The procedure to disable IPv6 is just resetting the network stack and also forcing you to cleanly reconnect to the game. Some dumbass at support definitely has it written down as a 'working fix' but it's literally just turning it off and back on again.

My IPv6 is fully configured and everything works fine until it doesn't, because their netcode just shits the bed at random.

Another thing: Attempting to log in while you're still in the world due to logging out outside of a sanctuary is what gives the 'unable to establish connection to the server' error, and also seems to reset the logout timer, which is why going off to try some fix or restarting your computer or whatever wastes 90 seconds of your time will 'fix' that one too.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Hy_C posted:

Is that verified? The tooltip is somewhat ambiguous, but if you read it as the 50%+ physical portion having unchanged scaling and the 50%- elemental portion having int scaling then you end up with 0.5 * (0.9 dex + 0.65 int) + 0.5 * 1.0 int for 0.45 dex and 0.825 int total at the extreme. I don't follow where that int averaging is coming from.

It's likewise not clear if "the weapon’s stat or the intelligence attribute, whichever is higher" means that scaling type for the elemental damage swaps when int > dex or when int > (0.9 dex + 0.65 int). I'd be hesitant to commit to an interpretation without data.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Ranzear posted:

I don't believe for a single goddamn second that it's IPv6. The procedure to disable IPv6 is just resetting the network stack and also forcing you to cleanly reconnect to the game. Some dumbass at support definitely has it written down as a 'working fix' but it's literally just turning it off and back on again.

My IPv6 is fully configured and everything works fine until it doesn't, because their netcode just shits the bed at random.

Another thing: Attempting to log in while you're still in the world due to logging out outside of a sanctuary is what gives the 'unable to establish connection to the server' error, and also seems to reset the logout timer, which is why going off to try some fix or restarting your computer or whatever wastes 90 seconds of your time will 'fix' that one too.

That seems highly plausible. I'll try re-enabling it and seeing if things remain fixed

However, I don't think it's just a matter of turning it off and back on, because the issue persisted through multiple days and relogging and rebooting.

Xalidur fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Oct 5, 2021

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Right, but those aren't things that properly flush DNS and routing and whatnot in windows. That's what I meant by resetting the network stack and getting clean routing and stuff.

Getting window to fix its networking bullshit is hard sometimes. ipconfig /flushdns doesn't even really work anymore. If you really want a consistent fix it's disabling and reenabling your network adapter directly through the Network Connections dialogue, because ironically that's what the windows 'troubleshoot' button usually does, and toggling IPv6 is doing effectively the same thing.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
As someone who has had to program a "restart java with ipv6 disabled" bit into a java client before to stop getting requests like yours, lots of viruses gently caress with IPV6 to force browser traffic to IPV4 so they can reason about it easier. If your program can do fallback to IPV4 on its own (and most programs can, but java is incapable of it and apparently so is lumberyard) this won't be a problem (except to the extent sharing a box with a virus is always a problem) but if it can't, then HTTP requests will just stop functioning.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

causticBeet posted:

Lol it’s apparently a known bug so you’re just wrong, but thank you for explaining the brand new concept of a basic bitch 5 man group comp.

Well me and the rest of the players must be gods among men to beat this bug on a regular basis.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

now that i've hit level 36 i'm beginning to appreciate the game world for how it is. more enemy variation would be nice (or at least more variation in their attacks) and it's a bummer that the 4 newbie zones are so similar, but it's all so drat good looking. i'm still enjoying chopping all the things including enemies. the musket/hatchet combo still feels fun though i'm leaning more and more into the latter, especially because brightwood is full of POIs that are jam-packed with fast respawning mobs and it's just easier and faster to go berserk on them.

i'm still doing quests and town board/faction missions rather than outright grind, but i generally only going where they're clustered. so i'll hit those, gathering while i go, port back to the inn, turn in, pick up easy town missions and do them for a bit, then either hit another cluster of quests/missions or go on a gathering trip with one or two specific goals in mind until i can port back to the inn again.

not sure how long that loop is going to keep me interested, but so far i haven't felt bored or even obligated to do anything (except Amrine for the staff quest and that was quick and painless).

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Raged posted:

Well me and the rest of the players must be gods among men to beat this bug on a regular basis.

Just because you are not experiencing a documented bug, doesn't mean other people are.

Your response is pretty weird. Are you feeling ok?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Devor posted:

This recommendation might make sense two months in, but right now you can probably only afford the 5k (discounted to 2500) house, and it sounds miserable to avoid having your house until you have 30 faction and 150k or whatever, so that you can buy the expensive one.

Honestly had I known that taxes on houses was so expensive I might have just bought the 5k house instead of the level 20 / 7.5k house.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I have zero interest in PVP and no interest in investing big time into an MMO, so far I am liking the game but it oddly feels most like one of those free survival games off Steam, which is no bad thing.
For those above level 10 or whatever, am I backing the right horse here if I just want something I can log into, fish, chill out and dick around with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Honestly had I known that taxes on houses was so expensive I might have just bought the 5k house instead of the level 20 / 7.5k house.

how bad are the taxes? i'm about to throw down for a house i think in a level or two