Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Party Boat posted:

What's too high when it comes to ambient case temperature? I've been tinkering with case fan curves and managed to get my PC running almost silently at 28-30C at low load (in a 20C room), but after a gaming session the other day it was up at 40C. My CPU (Ryzen 5 3600) had a max of about 70C. I've set the fans to step up in five degree increments above 30 and run at max at 50, but I'm not sure what dangerously hot is when it comes to ambient temperature.

Case temperature isn't something people really care about since we can monitor the temps of individual components and make sure they're alright. The TLDR is you're fine, don't worry about it, keep an eye on your GPU and CPU temps. If your case is getting REALLY hot for some reason it's also worth looking at what temps your drives are getting up to, and googling a little to see what the recommended max temps are for your drives. I've only had this be an issue in a tiny server where the HDD was immediately above the CPU cooler.

In case this is new info I'll include it, but I'm not trying to talk down to you or anything: CPUs aren't like car engines and modern (and most old) CPUs can run at 70c essentially forever.

Most people set up case fans like you've done, but also keeping in mind your tolerance for noise. You need to make sure there's enough air flow, but the CPU is cooled by the CPU cooler and not case fans so you want to make sure your fan curve there is optimized as well. If your case fans are running max at 50c and they're annoying/loud I don't think you'd see a big difference running them at 75% or less, in terms of CPU temps. This depends on stuff like how much heat is going into the case (from the GPU usually) but yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The temperature in the case isn't really a thing that worry about by itself.

It's something that you can use to diagnose if something else is running hot, but if the CPU is running within spec, and the GPU is running within spec, and your case fans/CPU fan/GPU fans are running at a volume level you're happy with, the temperature inside the case itself shouldn't really be an issue.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

That's good to know and all makes sense, thanks. My logic in setting the fans to react to case temperature is that Ryzen temps can be very spiky, so I didn't want them chasing brief changes (even with spin up / down delay) and instead had them only ramp up when there was excess hot air in the case to shift. Everything seems stable so far and I can barely tell the PC's on unless I'm right next to it so I think I've got the balance about right.

edit: I should say that I would be surprised if my case internals ever got above 50C and I've treated that as a "something has gone wrong" threshold, so I'm not too worried about how noisy the fans are running at full tilt. The outside temperature is rarely above 30C even at the height of summer here so the room the PC's in usually stays fairly cool.

Party Boat fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Sep 20, 2021

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i think my expectation would be that a spike would be handled by the CPU fans spinning up to accompany and as such dumping slightly more heat into the chassis, and because it's a spike the total thermal output probably isn't that much compared to the total volume of air in the case. but generally my expectation would be that so long as components are not increasing in temperature over time your casefans are doing exactly what they're supposed to be doing; constantly pumping cool air from the outside, firing it through your components somehow to pick up the heat and pumping it away - so long as it's doing that you have enough fan. and if your fan is responding to CHA temp then i would expect increasing temp would increase speed on the array and address it quite quickly, yeah.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
I've got an Xbox Series X|S controller (model 1914) and an Xbox wireless adapter "for windows 10" (I'm running 11), model 1790 (I think, the model # is really hard to read). They work fine together except sometimes on a sleep/wake the wireless adapter doesn't seem to have power and I need to unplug it/replug it before the controller sees it and will pair with it. Is there anything I can do about this?

SIde notes: I don't see anything special for either device in Device Manager, the only relevant thing seems to be an "XINPUT compatible HID device" under the HID category. I've currently got the wireless adapter plugged into a front USB port (just because of this issue, else I'd have it on the back), and I have a Gigabyte B550i board.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I've picked up a kvm switch but realised that my monitor does not have an hdmi port on it. When I look at hdmi to display port converters there are some listed as "active" that cost more - do I need an active converter or can I use one of the passive ones?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Fil5000 posted:

I've picked up a kvm switch but realised that my monitor does not have an hdmi port on it. When I look at hdmi to display port converters there are some listed as "active" that cost more - do I need an active converter or can I use one of the passive ones?

https://www.startech.com/en-us/faq/displayport-converter-dp-multi-mode

quote:

What is the difference between a passive and active DisplayPort converter?

When you convert video from a source that uses DisplayPort or Mini DisplayPort to DVI or HDMI (for example, a computer to a monitor), you will need to consider the difference between passive and active adapters.

If the source supports dual-mode DisplayPort (also known as DP++), then you can use a passive adapter because the source can perform the conversion. If the source does not support DP++, then you need to use an active converter, which includes additional chips to perform the conversion.

Thunderbolt ports support DP++ natively. To run multiple monitors from the same computer, refer to the Active Adapters section below.

Passive Adapters

Passive adapters are less expensive since they do not need to include additional chips. A quick way to check whether you can use a passive adapter is to see if the DisplayPort or Mini DisplayPort source has the DP++ symbol above it. The symbol is a D with a P inside of it, with two + signs to the left, one on top of the other.

Active Adapters

Active adapters use additional chips to make the conversion inside the adapter, regardless of whether the source supports DP++. This means that active adapters are more expensive than passive adapters.

If you want to use multiple monitors with the same computer, you should use an active adapter because some video cards cannot run the maximum number of monitors while using DP++. This is especially true if the computer has more than one DisplayPort or Mini DisplayPort connection. Check with your video card manufacturer to confirm which type of adapter you need for the setup that you would like to run.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

OK, thanks - I'm doing it the other way though, hdmi to dp.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
edit: wrong thread.

But a question anyway:

I use a dell stylus on a dell inspiron 2in1.

All of the mics I use pick up the sound of the nib touching the screen.

Has anyone been through this and found a good solution?

huh fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Sep 22, 2021

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

huh posted:

edit: wrong thread.

But a question anyway:

I use a dell stylus on a dell inspiron 2in1.

All of the mics I use pick up the sound of the nib touching the screen.

Has anyone been through this and found a good solution?

Seems like the kind of thing RTX Voice would eliminate.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I recently got a new PC and i moved all my old files and stuff over to its 1tb ssd awhile ago. But, as I'm getting ready to recycle my old one, I'm like "hey this has a 1tb hdd in it doesn't it?"

I could just take it out and put it in the new one for pictures and movies and the like right? It is also 8 years old at this point though.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

You could but at 8 years old I wouldn't trust it with any files that aren't already backed up a couple other places.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

On that topic, what’s the preferred Windows solution for backing up/restoring? I use time machine on my macs, and iCloud on my macs & iOS stuff, but I have to admit I have no clue what’s the easiest/most reliable on Windows.

I know this is the hardware thread but I didn’t see anything about it in the Windows thread(s) I looked at.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

The built in Backup app is decent enough, or you could use Veeam (free) for more granular control

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Okay, thanks.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

You could but at 8 years old I wouldn't trust it with any files that aren't already backed up a couple other places.

That's kind of what i figured, i hadn't really thought about how old it was until i hit post. I think i'll just hold off and see how long it takes me to fill up the new one and then shop for more storage if/when i decide that i need it. Thanks!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

a kitten posted:

That's kind of what i figured, i hadn't really thought about how old it was until i hit post. I think i'll just hold off and see how long it takes me to fill up the new one and then shop for more storage if/when i decide that i need it. Thanks!

I use a 10+ year old HDD for nonessential stuff like all the files from when I was in school, resumes, that kind of thing. I back it up (it's only 500gb) to one of my larger (slower) drives every couple weeks because one day it will absolutely fail... but I feel bad just tossing it.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
I bought a friend of mine this small PC in an ITX case about six years ago:

Mainboard: MSI H81M-E34 (LGA 1150)
CPU: 2x 3.4 GHz Intel Core i3-4130 Haswell using onboard graphics
CPU fan: 92mm Silent Scythe Shuriken Rev.2

Then I bought a Samsung SSD two years ago, which proved to be a significant upgrade. Now the system is easily fast enough for office work (email, writing letters, etc.), but even in Hearthstone it struggles a little. Now I was wondering if I should buy an i5 or i7 for this mainboard (soc. LGA 1150). i5 is about 40€, i7 is 95€ on ebay. Surprisingly high in my opinion. Also there seem to be Xenon CPUs. Never really heard of those. Are they an option? Is this a good investment? We're not going to buy a whole new PC, but the i5 is probably not enough boost and the i7 strikes me as rather expensive. What do you think? Thank you!

edit: Also a little concerned about TDP in the small case.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Problem with those older chips is that the iGPUs were poo poo and I’m not sure even going up to an i7 would solve that at this point.

Getting a graphics card should though but it doesn’t sound like that’s an option.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
yeah your problem with hearthstone will virtually certainly be gpu. could the case fit a low profile card, like a GT 1030 or something? maybe passively cooled?

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Excellent answers. Thanks! Looking for a 1030 now.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Excellent answers. Thanks! Looking for a 1030 now.

i mean don't get me wrong a 1030 is far from a "good" gpu it's just very small and cheap. make sure you check your clearance before buying anything.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Benchmarks suggest a jump from 2x to 4x more FPS and that's good enough for me. Got a passively cooled used Asus GT1030 with 2GB of GDDR5 for 50 Euros on ebay (+shipping). Size 17cm, the case's clearance is 22cm. Seems like an ok deal to me. Thanks again!

lllllllllllllllllll fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Sep 30, 2021

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone know what could cause a TV to look like this?

It's like there's an entire color missing, and the response of the screen is extremely slow, like when I hit the menu button it takes a discernible amount of time for it to render, and after I turn the menu off there's an afterimage that lasts for several seconds before it completely fades.

It's a Samsung that's maybe five years old. I was just using it a couple of hours ago and it was fine, then I turn it on and it looks like that.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Does anyone know what could cause a TV to look like this?

It's like there's an entire color missing, and the response of the screen is extremely slow, like when I hit the menu button it takes a discernible amount of time for it to render, and after I turn the menu off there's an afterimage that lasts for several seconds before it completely fades.

It's a Samsung that's maybe five years old. I was just using it a couple of hours ago and it was fine, then I turn it on and it looks like that.

Most of the time when something like that happens a capacitor has crapped out in the power supply. The colors thing could also be a flex cable getting loose or breaking and losing some of the connections, but the weird slowness could be almost anything. TVs are pretty much all solid state electronics now so it's usually like a solder join going bad, capacitor failing, or something else heat related. You'd need to open it up to poke around to diagnose and fix it. I'd google the symptoms and model, see if there's a fix for it on ifixit or maybe youtube or just the internet in general. The electronics thread might be able to help once you're inside but if you're not up for some tinkering and soldering it may be worth taking to a repair place.

As a quick possible thing, I'd also unplug it for a while and plug it back in later and see if it's still doing it. A lot of electronics these days are never fully off so turning it off and on again with the power button might not actually be doing so.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I downloaded a bunch of radio programs off archive.org and now my Downloads File (where I throw everything, 19gb) crashes and says NOT RESPONDING when I try to open it.

Did I gently caress up my computer?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Uh, that shouldn't be happening.

Worst case you can make a bootable flash drive and clear out the folder, but not being able to open it to begin with is a new one.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I deleted a ton of Sherlock Holmes radio programs after running a Windows Virus scan and CCleaner and it appears to be working now :shrug:

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Professor Shark posted:

I downloaded a bunch of radio programs off archive.org and now my Downloads File (where I throw everything, 19gb) crashes and says NOT RESPONDING when I try to open it.

Did I gently caress up my computer?

I'm not clear on the whole downloads file thing but go to the properties of the disk in file explorer and to the tools tab and run a check disk (I think they call it check for errors or something, I'm on my phone). You may have a weird file fragment causing explorer to crash loading the directory or a size mismatch or something with the filesystem.

It might find and fix the issue but it's worth considering your disk may be having problems as well so you can check it with crystal disk info ( https://crystalmark.info/en/download/ beware the fake download link ads). If it's a hard drive and getting errors it should warn you. If it's a SSD there may also be errors but possibly not as noticeable. You can copy the data from the program to show us on the forums if you're concerned.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Probably you just have too much stuff in your download folder and or a corrupt media file, so when windows explorer goes through to read all the metadata it gets stuck or crashes when it reaches the corrupt file. The metadata is stuff like displaying the length of the audio/video file, its resolution/bitrate, generating a thumbnail or anything like that other than the name and filesize, in order to do it explorer has to open and parse every single media file in the directory and it is generally not good at doing this when there are hundreds or thousands of them in a directory.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Is there a current standard/go-to controller for PC gaming? Besides keyboard and mouse, I mean.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Meaty Ore posted:

Is there a current standard/go-to controller for PC gaming? Besides keyboard and mouse, I mean.

I like the 8BitDo products a lot, but I think an Xbox controller is the standard for something that's cheap and fully compatible

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Meaty Ore posted:

The Microsoft XBOX controller.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

There was a recent game I've heard about where the PC port can take advantage of the PS5 DualSense's haptic feedback, which is neat. I think it was DeathLoop? Depending on how common that becomes, it would be a solid choice for a PC controller.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah sorry the ps4/5 controllers also work but some people myself included prefer the feel of the Xbox one. I prefer the 360 controllers tbh.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

VelociBacon posted:

Yeah sorry the ps4/5 controllers also work but some people myself included prefer the feel of the Xbox one. I prefer the 360 controllers tbh.

The 360 controllers are also inarguably more robust. Anecdotally, I’m gentle in all my controllers and have still had to open up the xbone controllers to work on the triggers.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Yeah, an Xbox controller is the standard but I see so many people using PS controllers (and to lesser extent 8bitdo) that you can choose those as well.

We’ve come a long way from having to make custom profiles on Xpadder for every game, it’s great.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It's true though that the xbox controllers are the only controllers that will just work with everything, zero hassle. A lot of games nowadays natively recognize and support PS4 (and now PS5) controllers, but I still run into games that use xbox buttons no matter what controller you have plugged in, or require you to use DS4Windows. DS4Windows is an easy enough fix though that I still have no problem recommend the PS controllers for people who prefer them.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Thanks for the feedback, everybody; I'll probably have to take a trip to the local Best Buy and see what feels best to me; I haven't bought a new console since the PS2/GC and have no idea how Xbox controllers feel in the hand. fwiw I still find both of those controllers quite comfortable, so assuming ergonomics haven't changed much I should be good with whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

Mostly looking for a sanity check here: I've got a PC case that has a USB Type-C port on the front panel that requires a USB 3.1 port on the motherboard but the mobo doesn't have a 3.1 port. It has one 3.0 port and two 2.0 ports. The 3.0 port is currently used for the two type-A USB ports on the front panel.

I don't really want to through replacing the motherboard because it's otherwise fine. I saw some adapters on Amazon, and while I know everything would theoretically connect together I want to make sure I'm not going to do something stupid and fry the board.

Is it safe to connect a 3.0 to 3.1 adapter like this to a 2.0 to 3.0 adapter like this and use that chain of adapters to connect the Type-C port on the front panel? Obviously I wouldn't get the speed of a 3.1 port, but I'm just trying to get the port working.

I suppose I could also use the 3.0-3.1 adapter on the mobo's 3.0 port and move the two type-A USB ports on the front panel to one of the 2.0 ports on the motherboard using a 2.0 to 3.0 adapter.

Is this all reasonable and safe?