Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Not into it but it should be fine, and the old exe probably still works.
The new snipping tool isn't terrible either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Wow, lines that look like they were done with a pencil. Revolutionary!

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I do not work in techy systems stuff, but I'm at my PC for lots of work including video/audio editing and production, and for me Windows 11 has been pretty good so far. I do find that the new layout is cleaner, less cluttered and helps me focus a lot better when I'm at work, although the frosted glass widget pane is a bit useless (there's no way to remove elements from it???? I do not want or need a stock tracker????) so that was first to go. Taskbar icons seem to have better integration for stuff like notifcations/progress bars/etc. System tray notifications seem better so far.

The xbox/gamepass app didn't work for a while, which did almost make me fall back to 10 but they've patched it and it's doing fine for now.

I prefer the look, feel and sound over Windows 10, for sure.

Never really used multiple desktops previously, but I'm tempted to give it a go now because of how they bring it all to the forefront. We'll see.

But essentially if you're a schlub like me who types for a living, Windows 11 is kind of cool. I mean, they could have just updated Windows 10 to allow you to put the taskbar in the middle and make everything quieter and more focused (which I guess to an extent is all this is). I was kind of excited by the prospect of a revamped Xbox side of things, because gamepass has been so awful historically, but it seems like a lot of small patches and bug fixes instead of a big overhaul, which I guess is kind of a shame.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
What actually releases tomorrow? Licensing? The release ISO?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Thats what I'm wondering as well. Hopefully the media creation tool page will update tonight/tomorrow morning so I can get to work on my laptop and desktop tomorrow. Might as well jump in with both feet

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Probably some godawful advert telling people to upgrade pushed through Windows Update

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

My hot take is that paint's major strength is that it provides a very simple and very fast platform to do common photoshop-like tasks (crop, draw, move, highlight). As long as that's not compromised, they can add features or whatever. Paint 3D compromised it super badly. It *looks like* they didn't gently caress it up here, but MS seems to always find a way to gently caress it up, so we'll see.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Looks like it's officially available.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows11

e: just updated, looks like the build is 22000.194

Wiltsghost fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 4, 2021

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
Force install on a Xeon 1246 or keep using w10?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Wiltsghost posted:

Looks like it's officially available.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows11

e: just updated, looks like the build is 22000.194

Lovely job, cheers goon.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Loading it fresh onto my Surface Laptop 3 right now, then this beast next. When booting from USB, touch or built in laptop inputs had no effect, and I thought it was just frozen. Plugged in my old Intellimouse Optical and it worked straight away

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Huh neat, it appears mine changed over to the full release build without me telling it to and without restarting.

Honestly other than the dumb rear end task bar changes I've been enjoying 11 so far. The look and feel is nicer and they've made a few improvements here and there that I've really liked. AutoHDR seems to work pretty good too although maybe I should turn it off since my monitor has really basic HDR. Much smoother than Windows 10's handling of HDR.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Tried putting Win11 final in VMWare to tinker with and the installer immediately barfs with "this PC can't run Windows 11" with no elaboration on what's missing

very helpful microsoft

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

repiv posted:

Tried putting Win11 final in VMWare to tinker with and the installer immediately barfs with "this PC can't run Windows 11" with no elaboration on what's missing

very helpful microsoft

It’s either tmp 2.0 or secure boot not enabled/compatible.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

Sickening posted:

It’s either tmp 2.0 or secure boot not enabled/compatible.

TMURP

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Anyone else getting to 71% done on the installer then a 0x8007007f error?

edit: fixed by restarting

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Oct 5, 2021

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

If you install over Windows 10 and use a local account Windows 11 will use the same account, or at least it did for me.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I just realized the one device I own that I might be willing to try Windows 11 on is an old Toshiba tablet that I upgraded from 8 to 10 a couple years ago, but it's got an Atom processor and almost assuredly doesn't meet specs for Win 11.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

Cross-Section posted:

Anyone else getting to 71% done on the installer then a 0x8007007f error?

edit: fixed by restarting

I have the same issue, but restarting doesn't seem to work.

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

repiv posted:

very helpful microsoft

Yeah I hit that as well, however it seems that the check can be simply bypassed through the addition of a couple of registry keys
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/how-to-bypass-the-windows-11-tpm-20-requirement/
I assume this will also work for installing on a real computer.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I know its probably better to do a clean install, but I really don't want to. Hard to say, i'm sure, but updating from 10-11 through the tool won't affect performance too much, probably?

Also, I have 'differently acquired' versions of microsoft word and excel. I'm guessing these won't work on 11.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I updated instead of a clean install with the first insider build and it worked perfectly, I don't think you need to worry about that.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Odd situation here. A few months ago I gave my dad an old GPU of mine, a Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Boost. Even on my previous machine I was able to have Secure Boot enabled (Ivy Bridge era).

I built him a new machine a few months ago, a Ryzen 5600x on an MSI B550-A Pro. I wasn't able to enable Secure Boot because it says the GPU doesn't support GOP. He uses 3 monitors but we had only one plugged in when trying to sort this out.

I'm confused as to why we're having this problem. Should we try a different output port on the GPU?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

shadowvine118 posted:

I have the same issue, but restarting doesn't seem to work.

Did you try waiting a few hours? I'm serious.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Aside from the issue above, I got it up and running in no time on both my custom desktop and SL3. Watched a movie after so haven't dug too deep, but got steam and everything installed. Battle.net launcher was weird though and wouldn't download for me, kept failing at the last hurdle.

I've been like 3 versions of windows waiting for them to make it so the thing doesn't loving wake on its own when I put it to sleep, but still waiting. Was awake at the sign in screen when I got up this morning. Gonna be a while getting used to god drat grouped taskbar icons. Hopefully they'll fix that blunder

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
My two-year-old laptop with a Ryzen 5 is unsupported. How can I go about installing Windows 11? The installer I downloaded won't let me go any further.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

My hot take is that paint's major strength is that it provides a very simple and very fast platform to do common photoshop-like tasks (crop, draw, move, highlight). As long as that's not compromised, they can add features or whatever. Paint 3D compromised it super badly. It *looks like* they didn't gently caress it up here, but MS seems to always find a way to gently caress it up, so we'll see.

:agreed:

The only feature I semi-routinely miss from MSPaint is an ability to arbitrarily rotate by any angle, rather than just the cardinal coordinates. Selections and the full image. That'd be a nice QoL improvement.
The other one I can think of which would be nice, but I rarely find myself wanting it, is the ability to pick a colour during selection to make that colour the transparent part of the selection. Doesn't need to be aliased to a colour range, just a single RGB value would be enough.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Odd situation here. A few months ago I gave my dad an old GPU of mine, a Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Boost. Even on my previous machine I was able to have Secure Boot enabled (Ivy Bridge era).

I built him a new machine a few months ago, a Ryzen 5600x on an MSI B550-A Pro. I wasn't able to enable Secure Boot because it says the GPU doesn't support GOP. He uses 3 monitors but we had only one plugged in when trying to sort this out.

I'm confused as to why we're having this problem. Should we try a different output port on the GPU?

https://www.overclock.net/threads/do-you-want-uefi-gop-on-your-7950-7970-i-can-add-it-to-your-bios.1389206/

Seems like that has your answer.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

My two-year-old laptop with a Ryzen 5 is unsupported. How can I go about installing Windows 11? The installer I downloaded won't let me go any further.

Check your laptop maker's support site to see if there are any firmware/bios updates you can enable, and/or look in your system bios for a TPM option.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin
Upgraded this morning and liking it so far. It seems a little more responsive than 10.

The first thing I did was move the start menu to the left.

The rounded edges on windows will take a little getting used to.

I don't care too much for the new Start Menu.
I know I can edit the registry to get an old style menu, but I wish they gave you an option to always display all apps.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Check your laptop maker's support site to see if there are any firmware/bios updates you can enable, and/or look in your system bios for a TPM option.

I already had TPM 2.0 and secure boot and all that stuff enabled by default. The PC update checker says that a Ryzen 5 is not supported which is silly seeing how my laptop really is not old.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Lol if you unpin everything from the start menu it still keeps that big ol' empty space there.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

This is just windows 10 with some small UI improvements and more license fuckery.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Well I am lost and confused, and was apparently the one person who liked start tiles. But like all things I will adapt.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
If people haven't realized this new virtualized security bs is perfect for creating a DRM platform that is uncrackable. Imagine porting a game from Xbox to pc. Now you can be assured those dirty pirates arn't going to hack your game and throw it on piratebay.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

MS Store already encrypts the content of the installer folder and it leads to the scenario that you cant run mods on it. Not a whole lot of games allow for direct modding now but the next TES not having that would suck incredibly.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I've tried that before but didn't know WTF I was doing, but it didn't make any difference anyway. I think that guy is long gone from that forum too.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
So after all the fuckery with system requirements, HVCI (the thing that needs a recent CPU and is the biggest addition to security) isn't even enabled out of the box.

Twibbit posted:

Well I am lost and confused, and was apparently the one person who liked start tiles. But like all things I will adapt.
I was intrigued by them, but there were never enough apps that did useful things with their tiles.

Like, having different-size shortcuts was neat but the main idea of tiles was dynamic content.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Cao Ni Ma posted:

MS Store already encrypts the content of the installer folder and it leads to the scenario that you cant run mods on it. Not a whole lot of games allow for direct modding now but the next TES not having that would suck incredibly.

Odds are that the next TES will suck incredibly, seeing the series has been sliding downhill ever faster like a defeated cliff racer on a hill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Klyith posted:

So after all the fuckery with system requirements, HVCI (the thing that needs a recent CPU and is the biggest addition to security) isn't even enabled out of the box.

I was intrigued by them, but there were never enough apps that did useful things with their tiles.

Like, having different-size shortcuts was neat but the main idea of tiles was dynamic content.

I would group apps by each other that I would use together, like XIVLauncher, Exitlag, and Advanced Combat Tracker. I tried to see if I could do something with snap groups but only ACT has a window resize button that is required to set them up.