Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Guavanaut posted:

They'll have to out-crank Rosie Duffield first.

Does make me wonder what causes the academic break with reality in those cases though. Some kind of epistemological break?

It's still really plain and common stuff like facebook poisoning combined with 'I know the industry and IT IS full of flaws and people half assing things!!!1' which, y'know, every industry is full of.

e: On this day in 1988 Chile votes in a referendum 56-44 against extending Augusto Pinochet's regime by 8 years thus ending the dictator's 16½ years in power. One of the few examples of a vote actually signifcantly changing anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Oh come on now...

Also present was John O’Looney, a funeral director who has claimed thousands of elderly people have been secretly euthanised during the pandemic.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

They'll have to out-crank Rosie Duffield first.

Does make me wonder what causes the academic break with reality in those cases though. Some kind of epistemological break?

In her case I think it was traumatic childloss :smith: . Don't really understand how one leads to the other but eh, it's a reason not an excuse

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Red Oktober posted:

And the XR stuff that’s going on at the minute will make it even easier to pass public opinion, in a way that other types of protest wouldn’t provide such handy cover for.

I wasn't sure about the "XR is an op" thing but this Insulate Britain lot behave like protestors out of a Richard Littlejohn book.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Red Oktober posted:

And the XR stuff that’s going on at the minute will make it even easier to pass public opinion, in a way that other types of protest wouldn’t provide such handy cover for.

To be fair the M25 stuff is Insulate Britain, not XR.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I wasn't sure about the "XR is an op" thing but this Insulate Britain lot behave like protestors out of a Richard Littlejohn book.
I'm now imagining Garry Bushell's mary sue hardman detective doing the barrel scene from The Desolation of The Smaug on a dozen Guardian reading protestors from inside a roll of roof insulation.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Crossposting because lmao.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

In Derry? Sweet zombie loving Jesus! :dumbbravo:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

LazyDivey posted:

I say bring back yahoo chat rooms

a/s/l?

some of us are still on IRC :corsair:

come chat with friends on IRC! (link in op)

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Comrade Fakename posted:

To be fair the M25 stuff is Insulate Britain, not XR.

Ah, my bad. Aren’t they an offshoot anyway?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

VulpesInculta posted:

I'm a trans woman with size 10 feet, I saw earlier you were offering these to any takers here. If it's not too late, could I have them?

PMd you.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Does posting a Twitter link on YT get you blocked or something?

Tried 4 times to link that Frost meeting but nothing works, posting on an unrelated YT channel works fine... blocked on that channel maybe?

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Oct 5, 2021

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Just Another Lurker posted:

Does posting a Twitter link on YT get you blocked or something?

Tried 4 times to link that Frost meeting but nothing works, posting on an unrelated YT channel works fine... blocked on that channel maybe?

I don't know whether a channel can block, but you could put the name of the video or the code number maybe instead of a link?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

OwlFancier posted:

Wow.
When I saw the name, I assumed the business was a Resident Evil reference.
The owner probably should have gone with that for a logo, only with ice creams instead of bombs.

https://www.teepublic.com/fr/autocollant/5159532-made-in-heaven-resident-evil-2-pin-up-redraw

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Come out you ice cream vans

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

the sex ghost posted:

Come out you ice cream vans

lmao

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

OwlFancier posted:

Sundae Bloody Sundae

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
King Billy's on the Wall's

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Lol to all of the above

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

the 99th of flake

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/Andrew_Adonis/status/1445295509225234432?s=19

Normal man.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
hows the control

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

hows the control

They keep turning it to "more racism" but they're not really looking at the crowd for approval any more

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Beefeater1980 posted:

It’s not like it’s news that we’re living in a cyberpunk dystopia. It’s been that way for a decade and a half already. Private corporate armies when?

Good news! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackwater_(company)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

therattle posted:

Sundae Bloody Sundae
God drat

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

That's just a standard mercenary company, older than written history. They have influence with ruling powers but mercenaries always did.

The Cyberpunk dystopia version is more about corporations with private armies essentially replacing the state, I'd say that's more analagous to Banana Republics, The United Fruit Company etc. but you could also say a country like modern Australia is a coal mining company with an army and a media/propaganda wing.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Brendan Rodgers posted:

That's just a standard mercenary company, older than written history. They have influence with ruling powers but mercenaries always did.

The Cyberpunk dystopia version is more about corporations with private armies essentially replacing the state, I'd say that's more analagous to Banana Republics, The United Fruit Company etc. but you could also say a country like modern Australia is a coal mining company with an army and a media/propaganda wing.

The closest analogy are historical trade companies like the East India trade company that really ran its own army. India wouldn't have become a British dominion if they hadn't started the entry. Nothing quite like that exists today, unless you count drug cartels as corporations. I'm sure the megabillionaires are working on it, though!

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Sometimes this thread is miserable as gently caress and sometimes it’s a gold mine of amazing puns.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

Nenonen posted:

The closest analogy are historical trade companies like the East India trade company that really ran its own army. India wouldn't have become a British dominion if they hadn't started the entry. Nothing quite like that exists today, unless you count drug cartels as corporations. I'm sure the megabillionaires are working on it, though!

Yeah that’s what I’m thinking of, there is no real EIC equivalent today. Shadowrun of course has the drug cartels as the foundation of Aztechnology, which is an amazing name for a megacorp.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
There's no modern EIC (which actually had the largest army *and* navy in the world, albeit at different times) because there doesn't need to be, what with nations more than willing to cover the externalities of imperialism for the private companies.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
There is a fantastic book about the east India company and how called The Anarchy, by William Dalrymple, which is mostly Indian history/politics but with some British stuff thrown in when needed.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

goddamnedtwisto posted:

IB and XR are so ops. Like i'm 99% sure which means nothing but you know. The only thing i'm not sure about is whether the people involved are in on it or if they're being manipulated, like all the stochastic terrorists that the FBI created so it could then arrest them.

Beefeater1980 posted:

Sometimes this thread is miserable as gently caress and sometimes it’s a gold mine of amazing puns.

It depends who's posting. If it's ex-pats with good careers then there tends to be puns. If it's working class idiots who's lives are smoking wrecks and are going down with HMS BRITANE, well we tend to be a bit miserable.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 5, 2021

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Insulate Britain is Roger Hallam's new outfit - he's the founder of XR who was really into the idea that if 3.5% of the population are imprisoned you win. Funnily enough it turns out this Doesn't Work.

It's not a surprise that once XR managed to wrest control from him* they've gotten a lot more hostile to the police and more into useful direct actions, like blockading private airports.

*In the first few years there were lots of complaints that despite all the talk of horizontal organisation and deliberative assemblies, XR was incredibly top down and it was essentially just Hallam & his pals telling everyone what to do. Eventually people got sick of his poo poo and he we as ousted, he went on to form some other org that threw pink paint on Greenpeace offices, then Insulate Britain.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Regarde Aduck posted:

IB and XR are so ops. Like i'm 99% sure which means nothing but you know. The only thing i'm not sure about is whether the people involved are in on it or if they're being manipulated, like all the stochastic terrorists that the FBI created so it could then arrest them.

It depends who's posting. If it's ex-pats with good careers then there tends to be puns. If it's working class idiots who's lives are smoking wrecks and are going down with HMS BRITANE, well we tend to be a bit miserable.

If they are ops, I know a couple of Yummy Mummys round here who are into XR and for sure if they are tools, they are unwitting tools of ops.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

If they are ops, I know a couple of Yummy Mummys round here who are into XR and for sure if they are tools, they are unwitting tools of ops.

I don't buy into the idea that XR is totally an op, though they are definitely infested with cops at this point. I would not be surprised if IB was the brainchild of state assets since blocking roads seems very dumb and is in fact a tactic XR moved away from due to it being not very effective.

I think some people on the left get mad at XR in part because they've managed to radicalise to some degree a bunch of people who the left have failed to win over

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
My wife was quite involved in XR until she realised the hidden power hierarchies per the above. She knows a lot of the senior people. I don’t think they are knowing stooges. If they’re being manipulated it’s unwittingly.

^^^what they said

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mostly it's just annoying that all they achieved was pulling stunts and getting their own protesters arrested. It seems less like a political organization and more like a viral marketing agency that uses human lives as fuel.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Insulate Britain is definitely an op. The fact that the group is getting so much media coverage speaks volumes. Only groups where the government have a vested interest ever get media coverage like this, and they are normally controlled opposition groups from the offset. That, and the fact that they are pissing off so many people and giving Patel the excuse to implement more draconian laws.... yup....

The idiots doing the actual protesting are probably just gullible idiots, but the people organising them aren't.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Does 'Insulate Britain' involve putting a massive cavity wall round the whole country, because I can see why the government would like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

Regarde Aduck posted:

It’s the same posters though, so unless there’s soul transference at work there’s something more to it.